Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Early Christmas present for Aggies: the new OC is HUGE

358,061 Views | 1432 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 45-70Ag
AggieAuditor
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Vaya con Dios Rojo
t_J_e_C_x
AG
quote:
There is a search at Bright. Interesting to see how this all plays out.
What the hell does this even mean?
Red Skye
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
There is a search at Bright. Interesting to see how this all plays out.
Have more details on this?

Rojo had to go dark. Rumor is KDS and sharp got wind of the leaked info. Haven't heard from rojo since. They're on to him...
Still using Win95 I see....
(Removed:110240)
AG
Speculation is speculation.

Every time a big school is looking for a DC, every big name is thrown out there.

Rojo didn't throw Chavis' name out there, he said it was a done deal days before it was. He was right. He was also correct about Foster strongly considering the job.

Now this doesn't mean that he is 100% correct with Spurrier. As with Foster, Spurrier could change his mind and decide to actually retire.

The thing is, this is actually truly intriguing as Spurrier said on GameDay that he still wanted to coach, and the OC position at A&M would allow him to do what he enjoys without having to deal with the headaches of being the HC.

Sumlin is a very hands off HC, which would be the perfect fit for Spurrier and his personality (coincidentally, it works very well with Chavis too). Further, I would suspect that Spurrier and our AD (who hired him at SC) probably get along pretty well and are ok with his personality.

If this works out, this could truly be a grand slam hire.
helmd
AG
SIAP

Spurrier's letter to South Carolina's Fans

"When I mentioned I may coach again, I meant possibly as a volunteer coach at a high school. After thirty years as a head coach, I positively know that my head coaching career is finished."

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article47391880.html
Drake aTm
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:
Example?

There are two posters there that seem to have insider information. The thought is that they have become quiet because the AD is snooping around for leaks (which Hamm confirmed). I thought one of them just said he was taking a break.

I could totally believe it because it happened before.

Insider information of what kind? Just curious what kind of info they are possibly leaking.
Flashdiaz
AG
exclusive footage of Rojo before the Bright gestapo got there:

hunter2012
AG
45-70Ag
AG
Hooray, no dog **** for me
kammrath
AG
Farmers6
No head coaching, not OC!
45-70Ag
AG
He specifically mentioned high school and volunteer coaching...............I'm hanging on to that, it's all I've got
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
SIAP

"When I mentioned I may coach again, I meant possibly as a volunteer coach at a high school. After thirty years as a head coach, I positively know that my head coaching career is finished."

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article47391880.html

I've been on #TeamRojo since the beginning, but this has created more doubt in my mind than anything else posted on this board to date. I think Spurrier would be an excellent addition to our program and hope we get him.
AG
I agree.

That is the first I have seen of that letter, but with that said, I could easily see him doing an about face and saying:

"At the time, I never expected that Sumlin would offer me this position (OC). It was just too good of an opportunity to pass up. Now let's go win an NC"
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
I agree.

That is the first I have seen of that letter, but with that said, I could easily see him doing an about face and saying:

"At the time, I never expected that Sumlin would offer me this position (OC). It was just too good of an opportunity to pass up. Now let's go win an NC"

The letter is dated for today which makes it so much worse. It could be that the media, and therefore Spurrier, has not caught wind of the suspicion on this board of him being hired.
Drake aTm
AG

The AD right now: "I got this cheese GNAWING RAT"
AG
Also, as far as Rojo's disappearance is concerned, I am not really sure what more there is for him to say.

He called his shot on the hire, gave us a tentative timeframe that still sounds reasonable.

There really isn't anything else he can add. Plus every time he posts he gets asked a bunch of frivolous questions that he has already answered if people would just go out there and look.

What more is there for Rojo to do, except lie low until the public announcement and then return to gloat?
BMX Bandit
AggieDore: That I agree whole heatedly with.

AG
Actually I would take the timing of the announcement as news that other schools caught wind of him saying he is still wants to coach on GameDay, and so he threw this out there to stymie the response he and his agent are probably receiving from these interested schools.

If that is the case, that might even be better for us, as that might imply he has already decided to come here.
sharpdressedman
The AD, KDS and Sharp can mind-meld and Rojo would be smarter than the result. Unless TexAgs gives-up Rojo's identity (if they have it) or IP address he is safe.
DFWag84
KansasCity Ag
Doesn't Sharp have better things to do than look for a mole? Like count beans?
A Person
AG
quote:
Doesn't Sharp have better things to do than look for a mole? Like count beans?

Better this than him actually being involved with university business
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
is the new OC Bill Brasky?
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
The AD, KDS and Sharp can mind-meld and Rojo would be smarter than the result. Unless TexAgs gives-up Rojo's identity (if they have it) or IP address he is safe.
You have to register and be approved for an AgTag.
AG
This works off a huge assumption that the university even cares.

Look at this way, a couple of days ago people were on this board verbally attacking everyone in the athletic department with a connection to the football program (players included). This is not helpful to program.

This "leak" has lead to a change in the majority of posters' attitudes, which will be way less harmful to recruiting.

Heck maybe Rojo actually works in the athletic department, and this was their goal the whole time.
KansasCity Ag
I'm curious as to why Rojo leaked this so soon. Sumlin is going to find Spav and McKinney new jobs before anything happens on the OC front. From the looks of it Spav is headed to WV but not till after they play Kstate this weekend. Sumlin is too tight with those guys to just push them off the boat. Got at least a week of twittling our fingers until anything happens.
texag713
quote:
Also, as far as Rojo's disappearance is concerned, I am not really sure what more there is for him to say.

He called his shot on the hire, gave us a tentative timeframe that still sounds reasonable.

There really isn't anything else he can add. Plus every time he posts he gets asked a bunch of frivolous questions that he has already answered if people would just go out there and look.

What more is there for Rojo to do, except lie low until the public announcement and then return to gloat?

Wrong. Rojo is kneeling in the basement of a cia black site, blindfolded and wearing a burnt orange jumper while Chollie's core values self help tapes play ad nauseum. The stench of a rotting pool boy's corpse permeates the air. He channels William Wallace, unleashing a blood curdling plea for freedom as his handlers slice him open with an assortment of sharpened, yet predictable, index cards. He curses Spav one last time before losing consciousness. Resistance is futile. Won't be long now until he gives up his sources.
AG
Rojo stated in one of his many posts that Spav would be retained on the staff as Sumlin is loyal to his coaches and still sees value in Spav.

Not sure what his role would be or which coach's spot he would take, but maybe Sumlin is expecting one of his offensive assistants to take a position elsewhere before the announcement occurs that we are even hiring someone.
hammerhead
quote:
quote:
SIAP

I've been on #TeamRojo since the beginning, but this has created more doubt in my mind than anything else posted on this board to date. I think Spurrier would be an excellent addition to our program and hope we get him.
I hope we don't..

After reading that he sounds like a very, very tired man that needs a break.
VaultingChemist
AG
quote:
Speculation is speculation.

Every time a big school is looking for a DC, every big name is thrown out there.

Rojo didn't throw Chavis' name out there, he said it was a done deal days before it was. He was right. He was also correct about Foster strongly considering the job.

Now this doesn't mean that he is 100% correct with Spurrier. As with Foster, Spurrier could change his mind and decide to actually retire.

The thing is, this is actually truly intriguing as Spurrier said on GameDay that he still wanted to coach, and the OC position at A&M would allow him to do what he enjoys without having to deal with the headaches of being the HC.

Sumlin is a very hands off HC, which would be the perfect fit for Spurrier and his personality (coincidentally, it works very well with Chavis too). Further, I would suspect that Spurrier and our AD (who hired him at SC) probably get along pretty well and are ok with his personality.

If this works out, this could truly be a grand slam hire.
I believe that Rojo has a credible source. Whether that source is accurate concerning Spurrier remains to be seen. If things proceed like last year, it may be 30 days before we know if it is true. I do know that Rojo was calling for Spavital to be replaced last year by Philip Montgomery of Baylor (he was right!).
KansasCity Ag
That may be the case but I sense that he's not coming back. Did you see him on the sidelines against LSU? He looked like that was it, no confidence, nothing. Looked like a kicked puppy. I just don't see him coming back with the pressure Sumlin is already taking for the terrible development of QBs the last 2 years. He won't fire him but I see him finding him a new gig to make room for whoever the hell we wind up with (hopefully HBC).
AcctAg11
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
SIAP

I hope we don't..

After reading that he sounds like a very, very tired man that needs a break.
He also sounds like someone who enjoys coaching. I think he wants to be done with the stress of being a Head Coach. I think he just likes to coach and win. He doesnt want the CEO-type nonsense that goes with being the guy in charge.

If he wanted a break, he wouldn't be accepting a job offer like this. We will see if that actually comes to fruition or not.
Chavis Sweet Stache
AG
No CIA black site, no hiding in the steam tunnels.

Rojo is getting out of bed preparing for a fun day in Chicago.

AG
Hammerhead and deuce gang,

I have no idea where Spurrier's head is, but as a former teacher (seasonal work like coaching), I can say that at the end of every school year I was exhausted from giving it everything I had and not sure I wanted to go back the next year.

Every fall I would return fully energized and excited to do my best because I loved teaching and still do.

The only reason I am no longer a teacher, is because of the non-teaching part of the job that is taking over.

If I had my equivalent of Sumlin offer me a teaching only job, I would jump at the chance and be renergized again.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.