Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Early Christmas present for Aggies: the new OC is HUGE

357,915 Views | 1432 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 45-70Ag
ColleyvilleAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In. I believe
45-70Ag
AG
It's the season of perpetual hope

SECTAMU#1
quote:
Welcome to Aggieland, Steve Spurrier. Texas A&M's new OC.
I don't which is more stupid: thinking Spurrier is coming to A&M as an OC or actually hiring Spurrier to be OC.
The Debt
quote:

Eat sht
Olsen
aggie_2001_2005
quote:
quote:
I don't which is more stupid: thinking Spurrier is coming to A&M as an OC or actually hiring Spurrier to be OC.
not like he can be worse than Spaz. Come on people.

And the fact that there's multiple threads here and premium about this with no mod editing should tell you all you need to know
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

Eat sht

Here's to hoping for jr
FormMorm
quote:
quote:

Whining about a rumor is the answer.

And spurrier would likely be an excellent OC. He had USC win 11 games, 3 years in a row before retirement speculation started hurting his recruiting. Look at the history of USC football. They have less history than Kentucky or vandy.
Hamburger Dan
IF true. Big time college QB, & Heisman winner. Long time SEC head coach. Innovative offense and National Champion. Respected by one and all.

Yeah, I can see how some of ya'll would ***** about being hung with a new rope.
45-70Ag
AG
The negative with him is his offense the last few seasons at South Carolina and just walking away mid-season.

You're crazy to think he wouldn't do that here if he did it as the hc.
SEC Champs
AG
I'm pretty sure the AZ Cardinals are killing it with 3 senior coaches: Tom Pratt, 77, Tom Moore, 75, and Larry Zierlein, 68.
FormMorm
The stress level and time commitment difference between OC and HC is tremendous. Just having the pressure of being responsible for so many other people magnifies it exponentially. And it's not a long term answer, but who would be? Anyone we hire that succeeds will jump for a HC position. In the world of coordinators, Chavis and spurrier would likely be as a stable as it gets.
Oscar Diggs
AG
Spurrier is going to arrive at the press conference in a golf cart, slow down enough to wave to the cameras then head off to finish a back nine.
CSTXAg92
AG
I'm in. In Rojo I trust!

Welcome to Aggieland Coach Spurrier!!

Thanks for breaking the news (again) Rojo!!
Drum5343
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Eat sht

Here's to hoping for jr

Nope! Even if it's junior, there's no loophole allowing you to not eat poo.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Everyone outside of this message board seems to think Spav is a talented young coach. Perhaps the idea is to bring in someone as a mentor for him for a couple of years?
duffelpud
AG
Ben Diamond
He isn't coming here. Good night this is sad.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Everyone outside of this message board seems to think Spav is a talented young coach. Perhaps the idea is to bring in someone as a mentor for him for a couple of years?

I thought about that....would Spav take a demotion to QB coach and assistant OC to work behind Spurrier for a couple of years? I think thats about the only way (with a legend) to make that palatable.

Maybe........maybe.......

StealthAg
AG
quote:
quote:

I thought about that....would Spav take a demotion to QB coach and assistant OC to work behind Spurrier for a couple of years? I think thats about the only way (with a legend) to make that palatable.

Bring someone in as a highly paid figurehead and trust Spav to do all the real work with our QBs? Hell no.
Ben Diamond
The media is just parroting some idea that got tossed out that Spav is a young genus. Examples that he really is? Nope, it's just lazy work by the media.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I'm as frustrated as everyone is with the offense. But do I think Spav knows more about what he is doing than just about everyone on here? Absolutely. And I also think people can learn and improve, usually.

I think it's probably a little far fetch, but I think the entire idea of Spurrier at A&M is far fetched.
Sit Down Rando
AG
Page 15?

**** it...in
halfastros81
AG
I don't doubt he has a lot of upside. The issues are: a) he's clearly not ready to be an effective SEC OC now and he is getting his butt handed to him, and b) Sumlin didn't seem to have a clue how to help him either in the offseason or in-season. I don't personally think Spav is going to get fired. I do think he will get demoted or he will move on. If the Spurrier thing were true it might actually make sense from a mentoring standpoint.

TexasAggie91
AG
HFS! I hope this is legit! Definitely helps me move on from another disappointing season!
H.E. Pennypacker
AG
quote:
The media is just parroting some idea that got tossed out that Spav is a young genus. Examples that he really is? Nope, it's just lazy work by the media.

Word. This and the coaching industry also tries to keep real opinions of competence out of the media. I would imagine there's not many SEC West Defensive coaches too impressed with our offense this year.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bring someone in as a highly paid figurehead and trust Spav to do all the real work with our QBs? Hell no.
yeah i'm certainly not sure about his QB development either..but his recruiting impact has been huge. i wasn't suggesting "all of the real work" i mean not the offensive system or play calling. i'm not sure where we fall on his QB development with as young as our QBs are. keep in mind Chavis retained all of our defensive staff.
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
Page 15?

**** it...in
Same here.
Tyrone_The_Tuna
AG
Reason I now believe ROJO is right! Staff just took down my Haley Graves thread, but have kept this one up and have not edited the title to say speculation! Rojo is right!!!!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Frankly I'm not that convinced that ANYONE really knows how talented these coaches are. I don't think much vetting happens at all... it's all about results and connections, both of which can be deceiving.
gigumaggie
AG
We lookin for a Sumlin #YESSIR?
Brewmaster
AG
48th scoring O in 2011
46th in 2012
35th in 2013. (7th in SEC)

Unimpressed. These were in the east and in his glory years at SC (11 win seasons).

Looks like a swag, splash hire.

Lincoln Riley would've been a great hire.
FriscoKid
AG
quote:
The negative with him is his offense the last few seasons at South Carolina and just walking away mid-season.

You're crazy to think he wouldn't do that here if he did it as the hc.

Don't you think that he "walked away" because he had decided to take the A&M job and he was giving his backup a chance to audition for the HC job rather than waiting until the end of the year?
CorpsAg11
AG
quote:
I'll eat a dog turd if this happens

cbates85
quote:
Troll. Stop it. Just stop it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.