Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Early Christmas present for Aggies: the new OC is HUGE

357,886 Views | 1432 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 45-70Ag
BombayAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Why will Spurrier demote himself from HC to OC??
fooz
quote:
Why will Spurrier demote himself from HC to OC??
Because he only wants to coach, not run a team.

There's a clip of him talking about being an assistant or something along those lines floating around the forum.

Edit:
Dad
AG
Old and past his prime. Do not want.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
THEamc
AG
Nah, we guud.
AG
Wow. Not a SINGLE THREAD speculating on the replacement of a current coach has been removed or edited in almost a week.

NOT ONE.
kammrath
AG
quote:
Sure sounds to me like it will be Spurrier. I would never have thought of it. Never. But he and Sumlin are friends. And I can't quite believe the OBC has lost it in the offensive department. A splash hire, that's for sure. That would also allow him to keep Spav on as QB coach and as the ace recruiter that he is, while having OBC around as a mentor and counselor/consultant in the QB department.
Is this based on new info? Or just stuff from this thread?
TxAggies2012
quote:
Sure sounds to me like it will be Spurrier. I would never have thought of it. Never. But he and Sumlin are friends. And I can't quite believe the OBC has lost it in the offensive department. A splash hire, that's for sure. That would also allow him to keep Spav on as QB coach and as the ace recruiter that he is, while having OBC around as a mentor and counselor/consultant in the QB department.

so who gets fired then? you can't just hire spurrier and not fire someone. in this scenario of yours, Spav stays on. Where is the cut made, and how do you adjust for the position that the fired coach was responsible for?
kammrath
AG
quote:
quote:

so who gets fired then? you can't just hire spurrier and not fire someone. in this scenario of yours, Spav stays on. Where is the cut made, and how do you adjust for the position that the fired coach was responsible for?
I have had a gut feeling that Christensen is out, regardless of what happens with Spav.
aggiehawg
AG
quote:
McKinney should have been gone when he was demoted two years ago. And Christensen doesn't seem to be on the recruiting trail. Tea leaves say, it's him. Either of those two, or maybe both??
TxAggies2012
then who coaches the oline? let me rephrase my statement..

so who gets fired then? you can just hire spurrier and not fire someone, because the Aggies have the maximum allowable coaches currently on staff. If Spurrier is hired, and spav stays on, where is the cut made, and how do you adjust for the position that the fired coach was responsible for?

-the answer is to let go of either the DT or DE coach, and make the other a D-Line coach. just wanting to make sure everyone understands that you can't just hire Spurrier on top of everyone already here.

the new OC will either be a QB, RB, OL, or WR coach as well, or you have to lose one of your defensive coaches.
aggiealltheway
AG
quote:
I have had a gut feeling that Christensen is out, regardless of what happens with Spav.

That may be the case. But then who would coach the OL? IF Spav and Spurrier were on the staff at the same time, we still couldn't hire another OL coach.

EDIT: I see 2012 beat me to the question...
Ag pride
AG
quote:
quote:
McKinney should have been gone when he was demoted two years ago. And Christensen doesn't seem to be on the recruiting trail. Tea leaves say, it's him. Either of those two, or maybe both??
He has an in home tonight i believe
Flashdiaz
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
He has an in home tonight i believe
so did Sherman when he learned of his future...
ABATTBQ11
AG
IMO, Christensen needs the boot. Dude had 8 months and our o-line looked worse. There wasn't even any improvement throughout the year. If anything they looked worse as things went on.
85AustinAg
AG
I'm thinking Spav, McKinney and Hagen are gone (unless Spav is kept to only coach QB's which I think depends upon if he can find another job).
45-70Ag
AG
I'm thinking no one knows what they're talking about.
Leap Day William
I've heard (take it with a grain of salt) that Christensen is being given the opportunity to look elsewhere and that it is possible that the new OC picks a couple of new coaches on that side of the ball. You realistically could have Christensen, Spav, and McKinney gone.

Banks is the only guy I would be certain is coming back on that side of the ball with Moorehead being a possible second.
mid90
AG
quote:
quote:

That may be the case. But then who would coach the OL? IF Spav and Spurrier were on the staff at the same time, we still couldn't hire another OL coach.

Realistically, do we need an OL coach? Every one of our offensive lineman played like they received zero coaching this year. You know, except for those ridiculously complicated blocking schemes. They might be a better group overall if they coached themselves by watching how-to youtube videos about their position.
Ag_EE
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Realistically, do we need an OL coach? Every one of our offensive lineman played like they received zero coaching this year. You know, except for those ridiculously complicated blocking schemes. They might be a better group overall if they coached themselves by watching how-to youtube videos about their position.
Amazing Moves
I'm thinking that the Irish had to eat dog turds during the potato famine. So you would have less of a problem eating canine feces than most. In addition, you may already have developed a taste for it through regular consumption. Perhaps it's a mental disorder that's caused this. because....

Why else would anybody in their right mind ever offer to eat a dog turd?!?! Under any circumstance, you f-ing weirdo!!
45-70Ag
AG
I know the ability to read something and decipher sarcasm is a lost art but did I really need to say sarcasm when I said I'll eat a dog turd if spurrier is hired.
EKUAg
AG
quote:
I know the ability to read something and decipher sarcasm is a lost art but did I really need to say sarcasm when I said I'll eat a dog turd if spurrier is hired.
Yes because the zoo is all about poopslap bets.... This falls in that territory.
Aggie2022
quote:
We are all just stalling until the announcement.
phatbeast
AG
quote:

Another one of these "escrow" welches.
Dobre casy
AG
Spurrier is reaching out to Jerry Rice to coach WR and Emmitt Smith to coach RB. Rice is hesitant without seeing the facilities first hand, but is scheduling a visit. We should know something soon.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
Yeah, you've kinda made that clear.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
quote:

Shut up and eat your dog turds.
Sbisa Chef
Rojo = Troll.
45-70Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
Yeah, you've kinda made that clear.

Three stars. Are you a narc?
Bajan
AG
quote:

I believe the word you are looking for is hyperbole
45-70Ag
AG
(Removed:110240)
AG
I have seen pieces of this quote posted here, but not the whole thing, so I thought I would share:

"I doubt if I'll ever be a head coach again, but maybe coach a high school team or something. Who knows what will come in the future," Spurrier said during Tuesday's press conference.

"I don't know if coaching is completely over or not. It's fun being on a team. I might be a consultant for someone. I doubt if I'll ever be a head coach again, but who knows. I doubt it. Being on a team is fun."

He used the word consultant. What exactly is the NCAA's rule on # of coaches/consultants?
(Removed:110240)
AG
We have a team....check!
We are looking for a someone to fill a nonHC position....check!
We have a "high school" offense....check!

Spurrier is coming to Aggieland, boys!
Thomas Sowell, PhD
AG
Lou Holtz. We are actually getting Lou as our OC. Incredulous.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.