*****SHOW ONLY Game of Thrones Season 6*****

160,572 Views | 1081 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAGFAN
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I thought Trystane was taking Oberyn's place on the small council? Why would he then head back to Dorne?
He'd have gone back when he heard of his father's death.
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
I thought Trystane was taking Oberyn's place on the small council? Why would he then head back to Dorne?
I don't remember this from last year, and it would seem odd given his youth and the general impression that he's not involved with politics even in Dorne. But if that was plan, maybe altered after Myrcella's death. If that note above is what was actually shown in show, then it says Kings Landing isn't safe for Tristane, which is obvious. Jaime may not have interest in killing him, but Cersei definitely would have.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
Haven't had time to go back and read through the thread, but was it ever revealed how Sansa and Theon survived their jump from the castle wall?

It can be done...

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
If that note above is what was actually shown in show, then it says Kings Landing isn't safe for Tristane, which is obvious. Jaime may not have interest in killing him, but Cersei definitely would have.
It wasn't shown but it is from HBO, so it is canon.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
So is Gendry presumed dead by this point? Or is he still floating around on a little row boat?
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
quote:
I don't remember this from last year, and it would seem odd given his youth and the general impression that he's not involved with politics even in Dorne. But if that was plan, maybe altered after Myrcella's death. If that note above is what was actually shown in show, then it says Kings Landing isn't safe for Tristane, which is obvious. Jaime may not have interest in killing him, but Cersei definitely would have.
Yes, it was an agreement between Doran and Jaime that he would sit on the council to make up for the fact that Jaime was taking Myrcella back. Who knows what Jaime and Trystane talked about on the whole boat ride back since Myrcella died like 10 minutes into the trip.

Ultimately, I don't think the producers really cared that much though. I think they got so much flack for how much time they wasted in Dorne last year for nothing to happen that this year they were like "ok, let's clean up this Dorne plotline quickly. Kill Doran and kill Trystane and don't spend more than 3 minutes doing it."
smokeythebear
AG
Furthermore, my beef with it is that the Sand Snakes now represent this big feminist movement, but this whole man-hating thing glosses over how completely and utterly BADASS Oberyn was! Ellaria was perfectly content tagging along behind him and letting him do whatever he wanted, but as soon as he died, it was like "all men are weak!"

Just seems a bit contrived. I had so much more hope for the Sand Snakes, but so far, they are rather disappointing.
Squirrel Master
AG
I can certainly agree that the Dornish storyline has been a huge disappointment since Oberyn's death. If this week's episodes were a way to wrap that up and try to get rid of it, I can't say I'd have a problem with that. They've shown little reason to think they matter to the story other than as a foil to the Lannisters.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
but this whole man-hating thing glosses over how completely and utterly BADASS Oberyn was! Ellaria was perfectly content tagging along behind him and letting him do whatever he wanted, but as soon as he died, it was like "all men are weak!"

That's not exactly what she said though, is it? I don't recall word for word, but I didn't take it to mean that all men were weak, just that she wanted to get rid of any man who was. Something along the lines of "Weak men will never rule Dorne again". Maybe she didn't think Oberyn was weak, and perhaps she's differentiating between men and weak men.

I didn't think she was mad because the leader was a man; she was mad because the leader didn't do anything when provoked. Oberyn would have acted, and this guy didn't. That was what pissed her off.
gougler08
AG
quote:
quote:
but this whole man-hating thing glosses over how completely and utterly BADASS Oberyn was! Ellaria was perfectly content tagging along behind him and letting him do whatever he wanted, but as soon as he died, it was like "all men are weak!"

That's not exactly what she said though, is it? I don't recall word for word, but I didn't take it to mean that all men were weak, just that she wanted to get rid of any man who was. Something along the lines of "Weak men will never rule Dorne again". Maybe she didn't think Oberyn was weak, and perhaps she's differentiating between men and weak men.

I didn't think she was mad because the leader was a man; she was mad because the leader didn't do anything when provoked. Oberyn would have acted, and this guy didn't. That was what pissed her off.

That was my understanding of it too, she just thought Doran and Trystane were weak and not fit to rule while Oberyn would have been
ChipFTAC01
AG
Can someone tell me why Doran is called Prince Doran and not king? Something about Dornish politics?
smokeythebear
AG
They are technically one of the seven kingdoms so they recognize Tommen as "king", but they keep the traditional hierarchy for princes and princesses. Thus, Doran was the "top Prince in charge".
FatZilla
AG
quote:
quote:

Thats exactly what was said. She was discussing Oberyn with him as a strong man who has f*c*ed beautiful men and women from all around the world and fought the strongest. She viewed him as the men that sohuld be allowed in Dorne. She also said though that Oberyn would make a terrible king.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

That was my understanding of it too, she just thought Doran and Trystane were weak and not fit to rule while Oberyn would have been
Fair, but Oberyn tells Cersei the best thing she did was send Myrcella to Dorne because "in Dorne, we do not harm little girls". Seems that his OWN lover and little girls didn't get the moral lesson from him about not hurting little girls.

I mean, I hear you, Ellaria definitely wanted Doran to do something and he wouldn't, but how could she really be mad at the Lannisters for killing Oberyn when he volunteered for the fight? What was Doran supposed to do? Declare war on Tyrian for allowing Oberyn to fight for him? And at the time of the fight, she wasn't even THAT concerned with Oberyn getting revenge for Elia (obviously, she was worried he would die).

I mean, I'm not complaining that there are like huge holes or anything, but I just feel like the place Oberyn described Dorne to be didn't end up being anything like the Dorne we eventually saw. Cersei was right not to trust them with Myrcella, and the best way to get back at the Lannisters for killing Martells, it appears, is to kill more Martells.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
quote:
I mean, I'm not complaining that there are like huge holes or anything, but I just feel like the place Oberyn described Dorne to be didn't end up being anything like the Dorne we eventually saw.

That's a legitimate complaint if any harm was done under Oberyn's watch, but it wasn't. The people in charge didn't command that harm be done. It was one chick and her three little followers who had already been reprimanded once before for their actions. We can't paint all of Dorne based on the actions of four people who went rogue. Oberyn's description of Dorne may have been accurate at the time.
smokeythebear
AG
quote:
quote:
I mean, I'm not complaining that there are like huge holes or anything, but I just feel like the place Oberyn described Dorne to be didn't end up being anything like the Dorne we eventually saw.

That's a legitimate complaint if any harm was done under Oberyn's watch, but it wasn't. The people in charge didn't command that harm be done. It was one chick and her three little followers who had already been reprimanded once before for their actions. We can't paint all of Dorne based on the actions of four people who went rogue. Oberyn's description of Dorne may have been accurate at the time.
What about the dozen royal guards who stood by and watched? There was clearly acceptance from the community for the assassination of their Prince, and thus, passive agreement on it being ok to kill Myrcella.

Point is, Oberyn was in Kings Landing to get justice for the death of his sister because "In Dorne, we do not hurt little girls". Yet fast-forward and that's exactly what Ellaria does, hurts an innocent little girl. Ellaria was WITH Oberyn on his quest to Kings Landing for justice. Dorne didn't change at all between the time Oberyn was there and when Jaime get's there. Doran had been the ruler for a long time as Oberyn travelled the world and did interesting, dangerous things. There's no way Oberyn would have wanted or expected Doran OR Ellaria to go back and kill Myrcella as revenge for his own death. Maybe if he was assassinated or something, but that's not how it went down.

I duno, maybe I just liked Oberyn too much. It just seems like Ellaria was a spare character when Oberyn was around and then two years later they decide to pick her up and turn her into a main character to avoid confusing you with a NEW character. It would have made more sense if she wasn't with Oberyn originally.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Can someone tell me why Doran is called Prince Doran and not king? Something about Dornish politics?
Dorne joined the Targaryen Seven Kingdoms by treaty rather than conquest. As such, they got to keep the title "prince," whereas the leaders of the other six (conquered) kingdoms did not.
marble rye
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Fair, but Oberyn tells Cersei the best thing she did was send Myrcella to Dorne because "in Dorne, we do not harm little girls". Seems that his OWN lover and little girls didn't get the moral lesson from him about not hurting little girls.

I mean, I hear you, Ellaria definitely wanted Doran to do something and he wouldn't, but how could she really be mad at the Lannisters for killing Oberyn when he volunteered for the fight? What was Doran supposed to do? Declare war on Tyrian for allowing Oberyn to fight for him? And at the time of the fight, she wasn't even THAT concerned with Oberyn getting revenge for Elia (obviously, she was worried he would die).

I mean, I'm not complaining that there are like huge holes or anything, but I just feel like the place Oberyn described Dorne to be didn't end up being anything like the Dorne we eventually saw. Cersei was right not to trust them with Myrcella, and the best way to get back at the Lannisters for killing Martells, it appears, is to kill more Martells.

BC he only volunteered bc he wanted revenge for his sister's death long ago, which he believed ordered by Tywin Lannister. She felt that should have been avenged by killing Myrcella and Jaime. She felt Doran did none of these and only sat idle and pathetic in his cripple chair.
Ser Pounce
quote:
quote:
quote:
Only problem with that is we know the two sand snakes are headed back to Dorne. Too early to put them on the ship of the unknown.
This is more in reference to how they got to King's Landing. Some debate about it going on in the other thread.
OMG! You mentioned the other thread which is about those which must not be named. You should be banned from ever posting again

Shut up you wanker.
SpreadsheetAg
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seen on reddit:
quote:
"War of the Five Queens"
Targaryen - Daenerys
Lannister - Cersei
Stark - Sansa
Tyrell - Olenna
Martell - Ellaria Sand
jbanda
AG
Margery?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, makes more sense to put Margaery, but she's out of commission and Lady Olenna is the matriarch of the family anyway.
HtownAg92
AG
Baratheon - Margery
smokeythebear
AG
"War of the Five Queens"
Targaryen - Daenerys: Born Targaryen, married into Khal and Loraq
Lannister - Cersei: Born Lannister, married into Baratheon
Stark - Sansa: Born Stark, married into Baratheon Lannister Baelish Bolton (???)
Tyrell - Olenna: Born Redwyne, married into Tyrell
Martell - Ellaria Sand: Born Uller, babymama to a few Martells
Baratheon - Margery: Born Tyrell, married into Baratheon (Lannister)
InternetFan02
AG
Will Ellaria become Queen if Dorne or will it be her daughter Tyene ? since Tyene has noble blood from Oberyn
Trident 88
AG
quote:
quote:
Ok, this is a shot in the dark but I need some help. I've been searching through all of the earlier threads, but I cannot find what I am looking for.

In the one of the earlier season threads, someone posted the link to an independent site that did reviews of every GoT episode. The person that posted it knew one of the people that updated every week. This site also included some background information from the books and some of GRRM other works like the Dunk and Egg series. Don't worry, they always gave spoiler and book warnings before posting about it.

In the past year I've caught up on the book series and most of his other stuff relating to this world. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and could they post the link?

Thanks!

Yup. I went looking for it earlier today. I believe this is it. I don think it's been updated with the new episode though.

http://gotscorecards.us

The site is updated with the latest scorecard. I'm told that there will probably be delays in keeping it updated each week, but if you guys want, I can just continue to copy/paste the scorecard here when it hits my email.
smokeythebear
AG
Yes please!
smokeythebear
AG
On paper, I would think a lot of politics would go into this, but the show seems to be leaning towards cleaning up the storyline. So for simplicity's sake, I bet Ellaria is the defacto queen.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Will Ellaria become Queen if Dorne or will it be her daughter Tyene ? since Tyene has noble blood from Oberyn
Ellaria would not be in the line of succession, because she was only Oberyn's longtime girlfriend. This would be the case even if she and Oberyn had been married, which they were not.

Legitimate children of Doran would be first to inherit, but the show has not disclosed the existence of any such children other than the son that the Sand Snakes just killed.

Next in line would be siblings of Doran. Oberyn is dead, as his their sister Elia Martell Targaryen. No heir there.

Any legitimate children of Oberyn would be in line, but Oberyn had no legitimate children ... only basterds (sp). Only one of their siblings (Elia) had legitimate children, but neither of those two children are known to have survived to adulthood. Thus, no heir there.

Next you would look to siblings of the father of Doran and Oberyn, and their descendants. The show has not told us whether any such family members ever existed or continue to live.
InternetFan02
AG
I thought Dorne was more open with the rules and would allow a ******* child to rule. They haven't shown us any other Houses of Dorne as options. Maybe Tyene becomes Queen and raises the army while Ellaria goes off to Highgarden to form an alliance against the Lannisters. The other 2 sand snakes do assassin stuff at Kings landing.
smokeythebear
AG
Yea, like my beef earlier with how things played out in Dorne, there's only 4 characters left that we've ever met. None of which actually carries the name "Martell". I'd be fine with the transition of power to the "next in line", but then can we quit talking about House Martell if there's no longer anyone carrying that name?
double aught
AG
Reading these recent posts makes me realize that most of the stories on the show are starting to get boring.
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
Reading these recent posts makes me realize that most of the stories on the show are starting to get boring.
Just Dorne, IMO.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
not so much boring, but they have too many irons in the fire.

in the last episode we got what 6 minutes of all 10 arcs...or is it 10 of 6? Either way, they are covering so many things at once that nothing really gets deep all at once.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.