*****SHOW ONLY Game of Thrones Season 6*****

160,558 Views | 1081 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAGFAN
boboguitar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Kit responds to last nights episode

http://mashable.com/2016/05/01/kit-harington-reacts-game-of-thrones/#X81RhR6vdaq4
Stive
AG
I thought Benjin was younger?
Joan Wilder
AG
My book reading spouse just clarified that for me - benjen is younger. My bad.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

LHIOB
AG
I felt it was pretty clear that Edd would take over whats left of the Watch. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see them disband the Watch and let the Wildlings take over the various castles and lands on the Wall. Everyone is in the same boat now what with the dead coming to take the Seven Kingdoms.

All this talk about Ser Robert Strong and no love for Wun Wun? That was bad ass.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I need flash cards to remind me who everyone is and why I should care
HtownAg92
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm going to be in the extreme minority on this but I'm disappointed they chose to bring him back. Like severely disappointed. I hate that there is now a character who is untouchable in a show that is known for main characters fearing for their lives with every waking moment.

I am almost in this boat too.

I don't think GRRM would have done that. The greatest asset this show has/had was that the story wasn't in the "Hollywood" tradition. And you know what I'm referring to by "Hollywood" tradition.

Now that the show runners have surpassed the source material, I am afraid that they may not have Martin's drive to keep the audience off balance.

I really hope I'm wrong. Otherwise his resurrection could end up being an example of another Hollywod tradition: jumping the shark.
Except GRRM supposedly has given the show runners the outline of how it ends, in case he cannot finish his books due to health and age. I'm not a book nerd, so I am not for sure, but I believe that Jon's death was the last thing GRRM wrote. So I'm certain that he told the show runners that he was resurrected and they didn't do that on their own.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'm going to be in the extreme minority on this but I'm disappointed they chose to bring him back. Like severely disappointed. I hate that there is now a character who is untouchable in a show that is known for main characters fearing for their lives with every waking moment.

I am almost in this boat too.

I don't think GRRM would have done that. The greatest asset this show has/had was that the story wasn't in the "Hollywood" tradition. And you know what I'm referring to by "Hollywood" tradition.

Now that the show runners have surpassed the source material, I am afraid that they may not have Martin's drive to keep the audience off balance.

I really hope I'm wrong. Otherwise his resurrection could end up being an example of another Hollywod tradition: jumping the shark.
Except GRRM supposedly has given the show runners the outline of how it ends, in case he cannot finish his books due to health and age. I'm not a book nerd, so I am not for sure, but I believe that Jon's death was the last thing GRRM wrote. So I'm certain that he told the show runners that he was resurrected and they didn't do that on their own.
The other thing is that people have been predicting Jon's resurrection for a long time, since well before the TV show got near this point. The foreshadowing was not as direct in the books, perhaps, but it was definitely there and those theories have existed since ADWD was first printed.

Jon was definitely meant to be resurrected. The real question is if it will still be the "same" Jon. The whole "death changes you" and all.
mm98
AG
quote:
I felt it was pretty clear that Edd would take over whats left of the Watch. In fact, I wouldn't be shocked to see them disband the Watch and let the Wildlings take over the various castles and lands on the Wall. Everyone is in the same boat now what with the dead coming to take the Seven Kingdoms.

All this talk about Ser Robert Strong and no love for Wun Wun? That was bad ass.

This was somewhat along the lines of my thinking, too. I was thinking somewhat of a temporary union between Watch and Wildings.
Trident 88
AG
Calling on the Lord of Light to bring Beric back from the dead didn't appear to change Beric, so assuming that we weren't mislead and Melisandre is responsible, why would it change Jon?
Aggie Infantry
AG
Will J2 be immune from the White Walkers?
Muy
AG
I love this show and have about 5% of the recollection of who everyone is, how they are connected, and where everything is than the rest of you.
texags08
AG
quote:
I love this show and have about 5% of the recollection of who everyone is, how they are connected, and where everything is than the rest of you.

This. I had to stop and remember what happened with Bran, and I binge watched the entire series right after last season ended.
Andy07
AG
quote:
Is it bad that I now hope Jon sends the direwolf on that annoying little night watch Irish kid? And then on Allister of course? Annoying little brat...

Also, the only thing that bothered me about this episode was how easy the change of power happens at certain houses. I mean, Roose Bolton stabbed and no one is going to have a problem with that? Or even suspect Ramsay? The whole Bolton army, generals, commanders, "well I guess he's poisoned now. Ramsay won't let us see the body so guess we'll just take his honest word for it and make him HNIC. Same thing with the Greyjoy...the old man was obviously murdered and no one is going to question the mysterious return of his brother?

Ramsay had clearly laid some groundwork with the Karstarks that will go a long way to securing the rest of his men's support. That Karstark guy went along like it was planned all along and not just because he was afraid of Ramsay like the maester.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
quote:
I was trying to figure out why BenJen Stark, the older brother, joined the Night's Watch. As the oldest brother, he's in line for being lord of Winterfell...but he takes the black and Ned becomes the lord. Maybe he hurts Hodor and that's his move?

He's the youngest.

Brandon - killed with his dad by Aerys II (The Mad King)
Ned - Inherits Winterfell and the North
Benjen - Already took the black
Ranger222
AG
quote:
I wonder if the sacrifice of Shireen will prove to have played a factor in Jon's resurrection.

I think I speculated about this earlier in the thread. But it appears that what might have done it is Melisandre losing all faith in herself and and Lord of Light. That's what closed out the first episode -- her truly being weak and not necessarily all powerful as she has been portrayed. Now when she is at her lowest point and doubting everything, she is asked by Davos to resurrect Jon. She didn't think she could do it, and even during her "ritual" you could see she wasn't sure about what she was doing. She kept repeating the last line over and over, faster and quieter. She runs out of the room and at that lowest point, Jon wakes. I think the "magic" here has everything to do with doubt and making it seem like you and everyone around you are at their lowest.
PascalsWager
AG
The thing that disappoints me is that book readers "spolied" this Jon comeback. The resurrection would've been way more powerful if the ENTIRE world wasn't expecting it. And let's be clear: it was only expected because of book reader theories.

I know and remember that Lord of light guy coming back. But solely as a show watcher I barely remember or care about that guy or that event. The point is if there were no books, no one would've thought John was coming back. Maybe I'm not that creative, but there's no way in hell I could've come up with that idea that Jon can just deus ex machina back if I saw the show in a vaccum.

But loud and consistent and ever present chorus of book readers shouting he's coming back from the instant season 5 ended, ruined the reveal. Technically not spoiling, I know.

To be fair I've often been confused about plot and characters and book readers have always helped me with it. I'm not saying book readers have spoiled the show or been annoying the whole time. But in this case, I think they "spoiled" the surprise.
Ranger222
AG
quote:
I just don't see the Lannister's not being able to get enough troops together to overthrow a bunch of untrained under armed peasants and the High Sparrow.

I'm not so sure about this one. I could definitely see a revolt coming against the Lannisters which is led by the High Sparrow. It doesn't just have to be his zealots -- every poor and peasant person in King's Landing could take their side. That could be what is being foreshadowed with the drunk guys joke about Cersei and then the showdown in the temple. Besides, what alliances and army do Cersei and Jamie truly have at this point? Cersei kicked her uncle off the small council who was in control of the Lannister army (although I think he came back?) and the alliance with the Tyrells is not going well either. If a revolt really goes down, Cersei and Jamie may find out they really have nobody to fight for them now besides Zombie Mountain and they could get kicked out of the capitol.

How ironic would it be if the storyline breaks down that Daenerys and Tyrion finally sail to King's Landing, and they find it not ruled by evil Lannisters, but by the poor and suffering -- the same type of people Daenerys has been trying to free and rule all along her journey
M.C. Swag
AG
really? It wasn't the numerous photos of Kit Harrington wearing full armor on set or the trailer that actually showed him riding a horse that gave it away? It was a vocalized theory by book readers that did it?
wangus12
AG
quote:
The thing that disappoints me is that book readers "spolied" this Jon comeback. The resurrection would've been way more powerful if the ENTIRE world wasn't expecting it. And let's be clear: it was only expected because of book reader theories.
Book readers are then ENTIRE reason that it is a show in the first place.
TX_AG_10
AG
Not sure I follow you on how the book readers spoiled Jon's comeback. I was expecting it, but not because of the book readers. I expected it because Melissandre happened to show up at the wall and be there when Jon died.
PascalsWager
AG
When did those pictures come out? Were they revealed or leaked hours after season 5 ended? If so then maybe I'm wrong.
Ozmandius
quote:
And let's be clear: it was only expected because of book reader theories.
mm98
AG
quote:

I know and remember that Lord of light guy coming back. But solely as a show watcher I barely remember or care about that guy or that event. The point is if there were no books, no one would've thought John was coming back. Maybe I'm not that creative, but there's no way in hell I could've come up with that idea that Jon can just deus ex machina back if I saw the show in a vaccum.

But loud and consistent and ever present chorus of book readers shouting he's coming back from the instant season 5 ended, ruined the reveal. Technically not spoiling, I know.

To be fair I've often been confused about plot and characters and book readers have always helped me with it. I'm not saying book readers have spoiled the show or been annoying the whole time. But in this case, I think they "spoiled" the surprise.

I can see it from both sides. I got into the series late and binged watched up through Season 3, and never bothered to investigate any book blogs, threads, nor did I know anyone who read them. So, for example, The Red Wedding was a complete WTF moment for me. I watched that part over and over. At that point, I started probing some book sites and blogs and the when the Purple Wedding episode aired, it certainly didn't have the same impact on me.

However, in this case I think there was enough evidence where non-book readers could have inferred it was a possibility. Melisandre's return to WF tied into certain factions within the NW's growing more and more displeased with Jon...It may have required watching previous seasons again, but it seems more possible to me.

Also, as you pointed out with the popularity of this show you'd basically have to live in a bubble and never discuss the show with anyone for most surprises to to remain surprises. Not sure if that is even possible anymore, and it certainly cannot be pinned solely on book readers.
mikefromdilley
AG
quote:
really? It wasn't the numerous photos of Kit Harrington wearing full armor on set or the trailer that actually showed him riding a horse that gave it away? It was a vocalized theory by book readers that did it?

Pointing out Jon Snow riding a horse in one of the trailers is a major stretch. It's a blurry figure in the background that has long-ish hair in a flash clip that lasts less than one second. Only people who analyze trailers frame by frame would have even caught that. Not everyone does because not everyone wants to know what happens ahead of time.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
quote:
I just don't see the Lannister's not being able to get enough troops together to overthrow a bunch of untrained under armed peasants and the High Sparrow.
You left out the part where they're all lead by Tommen Boratheon. He could have given the order a dozen times already but is too chicken-****.
lne2011
AG
-Ned telling Jon before leaving to King's Landing reminds him to ask about his mother when he returns
-Everyone says Ned having a ******* is uncharacteristic of him
-Melisandre being present when when Beric is brought back to life by the red priest Thoros
-Melisandre telling Jon that he has kings blood
-Melisandre happens to be back at Castle Black at the time Jon dies

The show has left enough clues to point that Melisandre could/would bring back Jon because there's more to his story than what has been shown so far.
PascalsWager
AG
Ok I guess I'm wrong. I have a poor imagination perhaps. The idea that Jon could just come back would not have entered my mind if I wasn't surrounded by other people ( who just happened to be book readers). It's possible anyone (including show only folks) watching with me could've come up with the idea it seems.
OldShadeOfBlue
AG
quote:
After season 5 the series was caught up with the books. They were at the same point in the story. There's nothing the book readers would know that the show watchers don't that would make a difference here. Melisandre riding back to Castle Black the day that Jon is murdered was shown to all of us. Remembering she might have the power to bring him back was far from a stretch of the imagination.
double aught
AG
quote:
quote:
You left out the part where they're all lead by Tommen Boratheon. He could have given the order a dozen times already but is too chicken-****.
If the Sparrows had Ser Pounce, you can bet he wouldn't be effing around!
TX_AG_10
AG
It's all good. I just seemed like too much of a coincidence for her to be there. My other theory and it might have been discussed on last season's thread was that Bran might somehow Warg into Jon or his direwolf and somehow be able to save him.
double aught
AG
The biggest clue that Jon Snow would be back is that there would be no good way to tell what's happening at the Wall with him dead. None of the other characters are established enough to carry the story; the writers need Jon's POV.
mikefromdilley
AG
Now that Melisandre has resurrected Jon Snow, where does she stand in his counsel moving forward? Jon is from the North and he worships the Old Gods, not the Lord of Light..and Davos clearly did not trust her before and considers her evil. She also just got through sacrificing Shireen by fire. Does resurrecting a relative stranger (to Davos) because he asked her to erase what she did back at Stannis's camp?

Where do we think she goes from here?

mikefromdilley
AG
quote:
The biggest clue that Jon Snow would be back is that there would be no good way to tell what's happening at the Wall with him dead. None of the other characters are established enough to carry the story; the writers need Jon's POV.
It could've been Davos, IMO.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
-Ned telling Jon before leaving to King's Landing reminds him to ask about his mother when he returns
-Everyone says Ned having a ******* is uncharacteristic of him
-Melisandre being present when when Beric is brought back to life by the red priest Thoros
-Melisandre telling Jon that he has kings blood
-Melisandre happens to be back at Castle Black at the time Jon dies

The show has left enough clues to point that Melisandre could/would bring back Jon because there's more to his story than what has been shown so far.
I know tons of show only watchers on a personal level and never talked to any of them about book elements or book based theories...

and EVERY single one of them believed Jon was coming back and could list a, b and c reasons.....whereas NONE of them ever said that about Robb or Renly or Robert or Eddard or Stannis or Joffrey or anyone else that has died.

There is SO MUCH there including some of those listed above but even more so relating to the back stories that have been alluded to .......

I can't imagine how anyone watching this show would have any other belief than this is a story about Jon and Dany. Period. And those are the two primary characters that have had something miraculous happen. Not shocking. Did you think Dany was going to die in the fire? I realize that wasn't withheld over a break between seasons but there was so much alluding to her, Targs, immunity to fire, dragons, etc. before that. I can't imagine thinking she was just a dumb blonde killing herself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.