*****SHOW ONLY Game of Thrones Season 6*****

160,563 Views | 1081 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TXAGFAN
Trident 88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You obviously can't fault Ned for how the kill was carried out, but I could still see it motivating him to try to live up to the false rep he was given, didn't earn, and couldn't talk about without hurting Howland's rep.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
The honor code was more out the window during battle. IMO. Someone referenced Jaime didn't kill Ned when a minor Lanister type got him in the leg. I think that was more pride than honor, and that was a more one on one setup fight anyway.
Trident 88
AG
Yeah. The code was mostly for knights-only fighting. Start adding archers, pikemen, etc. to the mix and all bets were off.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I'm referring to the Code of Chivalry that knights vowed to adhere to. Don't be obtuse.

Trident 88
AG
Funny. Even funnier that Bronn became part of the landed gentry. Or did he? I don't know if that was permanently derailed by his trip to Dorne or just put on hold.
Joan Wilder
AG
I guess I just don't see that fight as being dishonorable - they were all out fighting for their lives against a guy with 2 swords. It wasn't a duel or a joust. Also I suspect that the full story of who's in the tower was left out of the legend as well.

Mallory on After the Thrones helps out a lot filling in info and background while staying "show only".
wanewman

Serious Lee
quote:
Cool, the thread has been ruined yet again. Time to check out.

I don't even know what some of the complaints are talking about, and plenty of show only watchers are whiny... But all it really boils down to is this; why do book readers come here in the first place, and more importantly... why do they feel the need to say anything?
really makes me miss the Better call saul thread when multiple pages where just arguments about whether mike was being conned by his DIL or not.
Sentinel
AG
Just rewatched the scene were Bran sends Rickon away. He specifically sends them to the Umbers. So if it's a trick why risk Rickons life? Kinda seems like the Umbers really did turn against the Starks.
marble rye
AG
I just like reading discussion on the story. The books containing the information of the story on the screen now, isn't available. Any speculating at this point is just a guess like everyone else.
Goldie Wilson
quote:
Just rewatched the scene were Bran sends Rickon away. He specifically sends them to the Umbers. So if it's a trick why risk Rickons life? Kinda seems like the Umbers really did turn against the Starks.
Maybe this was Rickon's idea to take back Winterfell.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

And killed his pup?
Duncan Idaho
quote:
I propose a TV vs Book Readers street fight. Similar the original Anchorman.

Snap fight like in west side story
redline248
AG
I wonder why young Ned was only using one hand on his sword during that fight? Surely he would have more control using both hands?
unmade bed
I get the feeling Tommen is gonna be dead soon.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:

Was the prophecy from the witch in Cersei's childhood that she would see all them die or just a few of them?
mm98
AG
quote:
quote:

Was the prophecy from the witch in Cersei's childhood that she would see all them die or just a few of them?
I believe the witch said 3 in the show last season.
Say Chowdah
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

And killed his pup?
We don't know that the head was Sh****dog's.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
I wonder why young Ned was only using one hand on his sword during that fight? Surely he would have more control using both hands?
I wonder why Eddard was not carrying his ancestral Valeryan steel Greatsword during the rebellion.

Remember that Tywin got TWO swords from the steel in Ned's weapon, one for Jaime and one for Joffrey.
redline248
AG
It's a good question, but I just figured it's so big that it's impractical to use in a fight like that.
The Debt
Idk the answer to the custody of ice (starks valyrian) but I assume it was ned's father's sword.

(What weve heard in s1) Part of what kicked off Ned's involvement in Roberts Rebellion is that the mad king had Ned's father and older brother killed at court in kingslanding. One could assume ned didn't get ice back until after the war.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Yeah, that's what I figured as well.

They could have picked a better group to go with Ned to the TOJ. It looks like he picked 4 random guys he found watching the Packers game down at the corner bar.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Idk the answer to the custody of ice (starks valyrian) but I assume it was ned's father's sword.

(What weve heard in s1) Part of what kicked off Ned's involvement in Roberts Rebellion is that the mad king had Ned's father and older brother killed at court in kingslanding. One could assume ned didn't get ice back until after the war.

IIRC, the ToJ fight occurred after the sack of Kings Landing. Thus the dialogue about the mad king being dead. Since Ned was at the sack of KL, he would have had the opportunity to take back his sword.

I'm inclined to believe it was an oversight by the show writers more than anything else.
boogieman
AG
Ice is huge. No way it would be practical in a fight like that.
JJxvi
AG
What did ned use in the fight with Jaime Lannister? I would think it'd be the same prop.
jbanda
AG
quote:
What did ned use in the fight with Jaime Lannister? I would think it'd be the same prop.
Looks to be the same sword.

JJxvi
AG
I would say that that's ice in every picture. Those are all two handed great swords. Jaimes sword in the picture is also looks like a great sword or at least a ******* sword, may have been a production decision not to have anyone fight with a true giant great sword. Some of the guys with shields in the back look to have smaller one handed longswords.
M.C. Swag
AG
quote:
quote:
Looks to be the same sword.

That is definitely not Ice. The hilt and sword are way to small.

THIS is Ice:
The Debt
Assuming ice was just sitting on some shelf in KL and not in some targaryen vassals custody, I can think of two solid reasons why Ned wouldn't be toting it.

1) if you've been training with a 1 handed longsword and fought and won a dozen battles you dont pick up a greatsword and expect to be any good with it. It's not a video game where you just equip the new inventory and bam. The greatsword requires two hands and a lotta strength, something teenage stark probably isn't used to.

2) there must always be a stark in winterfell. When little neddy went off to war, one can assume this maxim meant benjen stayed home. If Ned got custody of his family's ancient sword and the war was over, he likely sent the sword back to winterfell for the sitting lord of winterfell. (Recall when Robb was at war and Bran was holding court, bran was the de facto Lord of Winterfell).

Sentinel
AG
Maybe he just doesn't use it in combat?
JJxvi
AG
Ned is using at least a ******* sword in his fights not one handed
jbanda
AG
By the same sword, I meant the same sword fighting JL and at the tower of joy. If they are then it's deliberate by the show to show Ned's "combat" sword vs the more "ceremonial" sword ice which is great for executions but not so much for close combat.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
By the same sword, I meant the same sword fighting JL and at the tower of joy. If they are then it's deliberate by the show to show Ned's "combat" sword vs the more "ceremonial" sword ice which is great for executions but not so much for close combat.
I think you are right about the same sword at the fight in Dorne and the fight with Ser Jaime.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't know about the sword, but I think Ned's daughter in law is trying to scam him into getting her a new castle.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No more half measures, Ned.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.