Reopening Schools

217,458 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
nai06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
20 minutes of live class instruction seems pretty pointless. I don't know what you could cover other than answer a few questions over assignments or material
rojo_ag
AG
nai06 said:

20 minutes of live class instruction seems pretty pointless. I don't know what you could cover other than answer a few questions over assignments or material
Yeah. The 20 minutes is for attendance, questions about the assignments, and assignment explanations. We are asked not to provide direct instruction during the 20 minutes of synchronous time. During the remaining time, students can return online to ask questions and receive one-on-one instruction. We can also pull groups of students to work with if necessary.

Tabasco
AG
Lamar Consolidated ISD checking in (Sugar Land, suburbs SW of Houston). We were one of the few (only?) that kept original start date of 8/24, with the option of in school or virtual. We have one of each... 8th grader in school, 111th virtual. Already some IT issues with virtual, but will update.
JYDog90
AG
Providence Classical School in Spring. Live in person today...first day of school!

Formerly Willy Wonka
AgBrother
Humble ISD started in person yesterday (elementary everyday and middle/high school are on an A/B schedule until October 12th at least). My 4th grader said there were 17 kids in her class - usually there have been about 22 in her classes the past few years. My 8th grader said the most kids in any of his classes was about 12 but a few of his classes had only 5-6 kids in it.

Humble ISD put out stats for each school showing online vs face to face - both my kids schools had about 55-57% face to face but the district has a wide range by school from right around 50% to 80% of kids being face to face depending on the campus.

Both kids were glad to get back to school and enjoyed it. They said there were a lot of extra precautions from a safety stand point. We will see how everything goes moving forward.
JYDog90
AG
My sophomore said he was amazed how safe he felt at school. Good job!
Formerly Willy Wonka
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
I would be interested to hear how various district protocols will be for positive tests both Symptomatic and Asymptomatic.

Following the CDC rules, if you are in primary contact, meaning within 6 feet for 15 minutes, you have to quarantined for 14 days, regardless if you are wearing a mask, and doesn't matter if the positive person is symptomatic or asymptomatic.

Kids are getting tested only because their work required it, no symptoms but positive. Kids are now quarantined for this person being positive. Boerne ISD now has 8 positives with 196 people quarantined because they were in the 6 foot radius. Its ridiculous.

I have discussed with my son if we wants to consider going online, already have 1 football player quarantined for now for no good reason, he'll miss 14 days, doesn't matter if he is never positive.

The state should be pushing back on the CDC continually changing the rules. This is nonsense.
gvine07
AG
I thought it was within 6 feet AND not wearing a mask? That's what it is (was?) in CFBISD for employees.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Per our district, this was changed by the CDC. Now, finding that on the CDC site is a total PIA.
pantherag
AG
gvine07 said:

I thought it was within 6 feet AND not wearing a mask? That's what it is (was?) in CFBISD for employees.

That is TEA guidelines. TEA states Not Direct exposure if wearing a mask around someone for 15 minutes or less. However, CDC says doesn't matter if mask or no mask it's direct exposure.

If your county health department is following CDC guidelines, then it binds the ISD to follow CDC and not TEA. CDC is causing too many students to go into 14 day isolation, whereas TEA would allow those students to stay on campus.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Ah, thank you for clarifying. Now I know who to go after.
88planoAg
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Except we don't have a county health department. lol
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
88planoAg said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Yea, crazy.....I guess we are following Bexar. I'm sending that emergency management dude an email and asking. I know someone that knows him.
pantherag
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

88planoAg said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Yea, crazy.....I guess we are following Bexar. I'm sending that emergency management dude an email and asking. I know someone that knows him.

Correct, you may not have a specific health agency for your specific county, but your county will be assigned to a Health Department overseeing your group of counties that will implement guidelines and policies for the counties they are responsible for.
pantherag
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

88planoAg said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

The attached link will show you the Health Department Regions in Texas. Within the Regions, they are broken down further into Districts. Your ISD will follow the guidance of the Health Department that oversees your respective Health District.
https://dshs.texas.gov/regions/default.shtm
LB12Diamond
AG

So My boy got to pick out his parking spot today. School not starting until Sept. 8.

Apparently they ran out of spots and not all Jrs got spots. I was like, how's that possible??

Well apparently, they are making the cars social distancing. Empty space between each car.

OK

I don't follow that one but as long as they are going to school, so be it.
beerad12man
AG
Jebber said:

So My boy got to pick out his parking spot today. School not starting until Sept. 8.

Apparently they ran out of spots and not all Jrs got spots. I was like, how's that possible??

Well apparently, they are making the cars social distancing. Empty space between each car.

OK

I don't follow that one but as long as they are going to school, so be it.

HowdyTexasAggies
AG
Pantherag - you seem to be pretty versed on this. Any chance you would have a few minutes to talk on the phone?

Kendall county is under district 8, we have no county health department, we have an emergency management dept only. I've actually gotten an email from the district 8 Dr.....whom amazing couldn't find time to respond to our district.

Plano - will send you an email tomorrow AM, I have more intel that's bothersome.
rojo_ag
AG
Quote:

When students test positive for the coronavirus, rapid, widespread and reliable testing means their classmates can return to school quickly once they're cleared.

Crucially, Germany has effective contact tracing and relatively low rates of viral infection: More than 1,300 new cases daily, up from about 300 in early July, but far below the peak of more than 5,500 in April. (The United States has averaged more than 42,000 confirmed cases a day over the past week.)
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?tab=rm&ogbl#inbox/FMfcgxwJXfhtgHqzXchWHNnpLXXPqNvd

Not going to happen here most likely. Thoughts?
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
The CDC is saying negative tests don't matter. They have been flip flopping all over the place. They need to be called out, yet not happening that I am aware, at least by anyone such as Federal, State etc.
rojo_ag
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

The CDC is saying negative tests don't matter. They have been flip flopping all over the place. They need to be called out, yet not happening that I am aware, at least by anyone such as Federal, State etc.
We had a campus leadership meeting with my principal, and he could answer only 40% of our questions. We have no long term subs, and changes are happening daily. We start school 9/8. It will be ugly for a week or so, and they we will rise to the occasion.

I say this because it is absolutely confounding how many organizations are dropping the ball, still.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
TEA has abandoned the districts in my opinion, same as Abbott. I am glad they pushed down to local level decision making, however they should still support and provide guidance, help etc against this ever changing BS from the CDC. Its impossible for districts to create and operate to a plan in this manner.

I have contacted my local legislators, everyone should be doing this.
Smokedraw01
HowdyTexasAggies said:

TEA has abandoned the districts in my opinion, same as Abbott. I am glad they pushed down to local level decision making, however they should still support and provide guidance, help etc against this ever changing BS from the CDC. Its impossible for districts to create and operate to a plan in this manner.

Have them kill the STAAR test while you are at it.
rojo_ag
AG
Smokedraw01 said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

Have them kill the STAAR test while you are at it.
Wishful thinking. . .but. . .NCLB and all. Thanks W.
duck79
AG
Prosper ISD updated their numbers today. Out of 11,921 students and 2,344 faculty they have 4 active cases. 3 students and 1 faculty.
pantherag
AG
Tried sending you a PM, but it wouldn't go through. See if you can send me a PM.
88planoAg
AG
pantherag said:

Tried sending you a PM, but it wouldn't go through. See if you can send me a PM.

Howdy cancelled his stars. So no pm.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
pantherag said:

Thanks Panther

Username @ gmail
gvine07
AG
Think about what best case would be for a school district of ~12,000 kids and ~2,300 faculty. Now look what Prosper's had.

HowdyTexasAggies
AG
As of Monday, Boerne has 8 positive, with 197 quarantined. I know 2 of those 8 positives were asymptomatic, one tested for work, the other just because dad wanted to, Neither sick, which led to 50 kids (25 on average) quarantined for nothing.

Word between parents none of the kids quarantined are sick or coming back positive.
gvine07
AG
Any idea how many kids are going in person?
88planoAg
AG
gvine07 said:

Any idea how many kids are going in person?
80% are in person overall in Boerne.
88planoAg
AG
HowdyTexasAggies said:

Word between parents none of the kids quarantined are sick or coming back positive.
This is the key. If these kids don't get sick then I hope this informs policy going forward. A month from now, if the majority of quarantine shows no spread, I would think that would impact how the school deals with positives moving forward.
HowdyTexasAggies
AG
88planoAg said:

HowdyTexasAggies said:

This is the key. If these kids don't get sick then I hope this informs policy going forward. A month from now, if the majority of quarantine shows no spread, I would think that would impact how the school deals with positives moving forward.

Agreed, better be what the plan is, and what I expressed to the board member today. There should be enough data already given the total # quarantined. No need to wait a month.
Not a Bot
AG
It doesn't matter if the kids are actually getting sick or not. Superintendents, faculty, and parents are in full panic mode. They are treating every positive test as a "case" of "disease spread."

Longview ISD has a plan to test *every student and faculty* once a week with a goal of quarantining every asymptomatic case AND THEIR CONTACTS. They are going to wast hundreds of thousands, if not millions, on these tests.

https://www.news-journal.com/news/local/longview-isd-exploring-plan-to-provide-covid-19-testing-of-all-students-faculty-weekly/article_6b3fc6dc-e7ce-11ea-ad3d-4bc0faafa897.html

The quarantines, lack of socialization, and poor efficacy of forced online learning for some kids is going to be very damaging. Many kids are going to be left behind, many of whom already have a difficult time with school. They are hell bent on destroying these kids in order to "save" them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.