Reopening Schools

223,182 Views | 2236 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AustinAg2K
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those who don't want to bother finding the .pdf with the full study:

6 to 10 yrs: 100 tests, 51 positive, 51%
11 to 17 yrs: 409 tests, 180 positive, 44%
18 to 21 yrs: 81 tests, 27 positive, 33%
22 to 59 yrs: 7 tests 2 positive, 29%

More telling is the breakdown by "cabin size"

(no. of persons/cabin)
Small (1 to 3) 13 tested, 5 positive, 38%
Medium (7 to 13) 75 tested, 29 positive, 39%
Large (16 to 26) 375 tested, 200 positive, 53%

So spending 8 hours, everyday (or night in this case) in a room with 16-26 sick kids seems like it might be a bad idea.
Roger That
AG
deadbq03 said:

(no. of persons/cabin)

So spending 8 hours, everyday (or night in this case) in a room with 16-26 sick kids seems like it might be a bad idea.

Now let's talk about symptoms.
TXTransplant
deadbq03 said:

(no. of persons/cabin)

Thanks for posting the numbers.

When you factor in the timeline of events (older staffers passed it to younger children), this is in line with what many of us have been suggesting - open schools for the younger kids and hold back on jr high and high school (depending on infections in individual geographic areas, obviously).

A really useful companion to this study would be, out of the younger kids who tested positive, how many subsequently had immediate family members (who didn't attend camp) test positive and/or have symptoms.

This study certainly doesn't provide evidence that elementary-aged kids infect adults (they very well might, but that's not covered by this study), so it really shouldn't be used as support for keeping schools (esp elem schools) closed to keep teachers/adults safe.

Hat this data does show is that young kids can contract and carry the virus - but we knew that already. They just don't seem to get sick/as sick or transmit it.

Complete Idiot
Weeks long overnight camps, with multiple unmasked campers sleeping together In Shared rooms, is a different animal than school.
terradactylexpress
Campers were only there 4 days before it got shut down. Yes it's still different but it's a data point for review
DeangeloVickers
AG
Complete Idiot said:

Weeks long overnight camps, with multiple unmasked campers sleeping together I. Shared rooms, is a different animal than school.

Username does not check out
jenn96
AG
Those numbers are concerning. Did the study mention severity of symptoms?
terradactylexpress
Only thing I remember is ~25% asymptomatic
TXTransplant
jenn96 said:

Those numbers are concerning. Did the study mention severity of symptoms?

They said they will publish a follow up report that addresses symptoms and subsequent household transmission.
cone
AG
anyone done a study on the daycares that have been open the last 4 months?
jenn96
AG
Not that I'm aware of.
rich1232
AG
cone said:

Completely anecdotal, but the daycare our son used to go, which is on our way to work, has not had any reported cases yet. I think their capacity is in the 150-200 range when you include those below 5 and the after school programs when everything is fired up. However the day care a couple miles from our house has had to close, I think they had 4 cases (not sure on their capacity). We pulled our son from the larger day care due to my wife being at-risk, he'll be going to a neighborhood mom when school starts back up.
gvine07
AG
My kids (just turned 1 and a 4 yo) we're going to a daycare, and at our pediatrician's advice we took them out March 16.

They had one in the infant room test positive, and closed that room. Later that day (or the next day) there were 2 additional positives, one in a different class and one we don't know about. The daycare/school was then closed for 2 weeks. We never found out if students or teachers tested positive.

We hear gossip but haven't heard about other cases (we suspect all positives were students but don't know).
jenn96
AG
My coworker has had her son in daycare the whole time, since March. They've had a few teachers test positive, including her son's teacher. Never had the kids tested because they've never had symptoms.
jopatura
AG
I wish I could find the raw data somewhere, but this article has updated numbers on daycares:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/covid-19-cases-spike-in-texas-daycare-will-classrooms-be-next/

2,810 cases
1,678 facilities with at least one positive test
About 2/3 cases are students, doesn't break down ages.
88planoAg
AG
jopatura said:

I wish I could find the raw data somewhere, but this article has updated numbers on daycares:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/investigations/covid-19-cases-spike-in-texas-daycare-will-classrooms-be-next/

2,810 cases
1,678 facilities with at least one positive test
About 2/3 cases are students, doesn't break down ages.

And I think 1.1 million kids are in daycares in Texas.
lobopride
cone said:

My wife runs a daycare out of our house for last couple of years. We have two kids of our own (9 & 11) and four everyday kids in the daycare. Nobody has caught it that we know of. I had a fever one day and immediately got tested (negative).
I am a slave of Christ
909Ag2006
AG
My daughter's daycare has been open the whole time with the exception of two weeks because two staff
Members tested positive. No kids have ever tested positive and most of the kids got tested after the staffers tested positive. Probably 75 or so kids at the facility.
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
Smokedraw01
909Ag2006 said:

My daughter's daycare has been open the whole time with the exception of two weeks because two staff
Members tested positive. No kids have ever tested positive and most of the kids got tested after the staffers tested positive. Probably 75 or so kids at the facility.

How isolated where the classes? Or did they interact with each other?
74OA
AG
This doctor thinks it can be done safely if sufficient resources are devoted to doing it right: REOPEN

"All of these steps are hard. They require strong leadership and substantial resources. But if we don't take these actions and schools reopen prematurely, we will effectively have an uncontrolled experiment with students and teachers as the guinea pigs. Banks and airlines have been bailed out. Surely, we can dedicate the necessary resources to help our schools, too."
cc_ag92
AG
The keys are sufficient resources and appropriate timing.
Keegan99
AG

Just teachers doing what's best for the kids...
DeangeloVickers
AG
Let em go.
'Bye.
nai06
AG
Keegan99 said:

Just for fun, why do you think ending standardized testing or removing cops from schools is bad for kids?

EDIT: or really any of these things
Fenrir
nai06 said:

Keegan99 said:

Just for fun, why do you think ending standardized testing or removing cops from schools is bad for kids?

How does limiting schooling choices only to public schools help kids?

How does cancelling rent and mortgage help kids?

I question whether the federal funds requested would go to help kids instead of just lining the pockets of the people pushing for more money.

Reads more like a shakedown than a list of items to improve the lives of students.
tysker
AG
n said:

You know where they don't have as many mandatory standardized tests or cops? Charter schools, private schools and home schools...
Keegan99
AG
Banning charter schools? Banning private school choice?

Nothing to do with what's best for kids. That's everything to do with protecting $$$ and locking poor kids into failing schools with no alternative.

And yes, some type of standardized testing is necessary to measure performance and act as a brake on social promotion. And yes, some schools do need police officers on site.
nai06
AG
Keegan99 said:

Banning charter schools? Banning private school choice?

Nothing to do with what's best for kids. That's everything to do with protecting $$$ and locking poor kids into failing schools with no alternative.

And yes, some type of standardized testing is necessary to measure performance and act as a brake on social promotion. And yes, some schools do need police officers on site.

I won't detail this thread. We'll just have to disagree on this.

Sorry for the interruption
cone
AG
banning private schools would be pretty ****ed up right now since public schools aren't teaching kids
cone
AG
agree to disagree on banning private schools

holy ****
Smokedraw01
Keegan99 said:

**** teacher's unions.
nai06
AG
cone said:

agree to disagree on banning private schools

holy ****

That's not what the tweet said or at least not how I interpreted it. I saw that as anti private school voucher. School choice is the verbage that pro voucher people typically use.
amercer
AG
Our county health officials decided on Friday that private schools would not be allowed to open. The public schools here already decided to go online until February (read, until next fall). So the assumption is they didn't want to be embarrassed by the private schools opening and all the rich kids getting to go.

Governor came out this morning and reversed the order, but I doubt that will be the end of it.

Keegan99
AG
There is no rational reason for allowing private day cares to operate but prohibiting private schools from doing the same.
AggieT
AG
I think amercer nailed it above.

Houston won't allow any schools to open until HISD is ready to open. Imagine the **** storm if private schools (and other local districts) open successfully while HISD remains closed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.