Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

131,175 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by agcrock2005
The Dirty Sock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bought this guy at the Walmart

The Dirty Sock
Also dropped the top part and bent the cover unloading out of the pick up
Tabasco
AG
Just hammer it out as best you can. Will give it character
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I have never really used a flat top, but thanks to this thread and a few others, I green lighted a Blaze for the new outdoor kitchen going in soon.
The Dirty Sock
There was something satisfying about seasoning a new griddle this morning.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Borderline erotic
theagmax
AG
Will they ship the crusts to you? I see they're in DFW, and I was curious about obtaining in Houston.
Tailgate88
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

The Evo has a heavy lid that covers the top.

You cook topping side of crust briefly, flip, add toppings quickly, put lid on.

I also tossed some cornmeal on the griddle top. The stone you see in my pic was just used to slide the pizza on from the grill then as my cutting board.

Just remembered I hit the top briefly with a propane torch right before cuttting.

Here's a pic of one with the lid on.

Speaking of, for those who may not know, the very best way to reheat cold pizza is in a skillet with the lid on. Crispy bottom and melts the cheese on top again. I suppose you could emulate that easily with a flat top and dome or cover if some sort.
skelly02
AG
We are doing an outdoor kitchen and I'm looking to build in a griddle. What's the going consensus on brands? I have a blackstone that i love but once we get a built in i am taking it to the ranch.

Brands we are considering include Blaze, Le Griddle, and EVO. Thoughts from those that have them?
Garrelli 5000
AG
I don't know. Online they only reference shipping dry goods. You could probably contact to see if they'll ship some of their frozen dough balls.

https://jimmysfoodstore.com/
Take the trash out staff.
corndog04
AG
Can someone give me some steak advice? I have a 36" Blackstone I use a ton, but for some health issues I rarely eat red meat. I'd like to make a nice steak and scallops for my wife for valentine's day (or slightly belated given current forecast weather expectations). I've seen references to reverse searing working well with the flat top, but I don't know details. Is it as easy as cook in oven to desired temperature and then sear the hell out of it? I've got a NG conversion on mine, and I don't know if I have high gas pressure or what but I can get this thing insanely hot. Much hotter than when I had it on propane.

Sazerac
AG
Reverse sear: oven or souse vide at low temps to just under your done temp.

Pat dry, slater in your choice of oil/butter/mayo. Sear ok both sides and edges until the crust you like. Season and serve.
muleshoe
AG
FYI for those who might be interested....been reading this forum/thread, and stumbled across these for sale.

Haven't bought from this group, but have from other auction sites. This one looks to be surplus Amazon, HD, and other big box stuff....believe there is more than Blackstone in the entire auction.

https://texas-b.hibid.com/lot/83755107/blackstone-adventure-ready-22--griddle/?g=all-categories&cpage=13&q=&ref=catalog

Hope it works out for someone!
Buzzy
Garrelli 5000 said:

I don't know. Online they only reference shipping dry goods. You could probably contact to see if they'll ship some of their frozen dough balls.

https://jimmysfoodstore.com/
They're closed right now until 2/22 due to a COVID exposure in the store.

I don't see anything indicating they'll ship dough.
Buzzy

Griddle looks amazing.

Crust on this pizza looks a little thin. You prefer more NY style?
toolshed
AG
First time to do Philly cheesesteaks! They turned out great!

End Of Message
AG
I have a 36" Blackstone taking up space in my backyard. Always covered, but admittedly not always cleaned or seasoned. Received as a gift in 2019.

Located in San Antonio. Let me know if you want it. $100.
Whens lunch
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

I have a 36" Blackstone taking up space in my backyard. Always covered, but admittedly not always cleaned or seasoned. Received as a gift in 2019.

Located in San Antonio. Let me know if you want it. $100.
Haha. Just went to Tractor Supply in Helotes and bought a Blackstone 36". Just started seasoning it.
Not when I'm done with it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Did first cheesesteak this weekend as well. Was going to do a homemade wit-wiz sauce but saw the beer in my hand and added about 1/4 cup to the sauce. It turned out really good and will be my go-to beer cheese sauce. I should used more onions and in the future I'll add sauted peppers and mushrooms. There's sauce on the sandwich as well but brought extra for dipping.

Reel Aggies
AG
I'll take if still available
End Of Message
AG
It is. We're in Port Aransas till Sunday, but feel free to come grab it anytime next week. I don't pay for stars any longer,

Thanks
Reel Aggies
AG
Sent you an email. I'll get with you this week.
GIF Reactor
AG
Once the grill gives out in a few years, is a flat top the way to go?
Tabasco
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

Once the grill gives out in a few years, is a flat top the way to go?
Why not both
GIF Reactor
AG
Space and maintenance
coastalAg
AG
Depends on what you like to cook and what other cookers you have. I have a ceramic cooker for anything I want to do over fire and a flat top for anything else. This is a pretty optimal setup based on what I use them for. If I could only have one cooker, I would probably choose a grill. A nice gas grill with a rotisserie and a griddle insert will be really versatile.
ValleyRatAg
AG
I think if I needed an all in one griddle, grill, and smoker due to space restrictions, I would give one these a try. It's probably not quite as good as a dedicated unit for each, but I bet it is good enough.

Masterbuilt Griddle, Grill, Smoker
bdgol07
AG
Stumbled upon this thread....

I am getting a 36in Blackstone for my anniversary present TSC has them for $299 with the hard cover. Already have some spatulas and soft cover on order. Any can't live without accessories that I should have her throw in as well?
FIDO*98*
AG
bdgol07 said:

Stumbled upon this thread....

I am getting a 36in Blackstone for my anniversary present TSC has them for $299 with the hard cover. Already have some spatulas and soft cover on order. Any can't live without accessories that I should have her throw in as well?

Griddle Scraper
5"x6" Heavy Duty Turner (burger press and spatula)
Aluminum Grease Cup liners
Shop Rags
Egg Rings

bdgol07
AG
Thanks. Either already have those things out they're on the way.

Few questions...
Is the upside down bowl thingy really needed? If so, what do I keep seeing purple squirt before covering?
Do you use regular vegetable oil or something with a higher smoke point?
Does using a knife to cut meat (a la hibachi style) mess with the seasoning?
Ezra Brooks
AG

Quote:

Is the upside down bowl thingy really needed? If so, what do I keep seeing purple squirt before covering?
I don't have one, am contemplating getting one, but I'm not yet convinced that it's a 100% necessity

Quote:

Do you use regular vegetable oil or something with a higher smoke point?
I generally use olive oil or canola oil spray when cooking.

Quote:

Does using a knife to cut meat (a la hibachi style) mess with the seasoning?

You'll see some marking up while using a knife, but it will disappear as you continue your cook and clean-up after.
Ag83
AG
Quote:

I use a disposable aluminum pan thrown on upside down. They're squirting water to create steam under the lid.
coastalaggie
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

The Evo has a heavy lid that covers the top.

You cook topping side of crust briefly, flip, add toppings quickly, put lid on.

I also tossed some cornmeal on the griddle top. The stone you see in my pic was just used to slide the pizza on from the grill then as my cutting board.

Just remembered I hit the top briefly with a propane torch right before cuttting.

Here's a pic of one with the lid on.

We are building a new home and I am sold on getting one of these. Any regrets?
Fair Winds and Following Seas
Garrelli 5000
AG
We put ours in a corner. Technically 2 people can cook at the same time but we should have arranged it so that people could stand on opposite sides. That would facilitate a more "social" grill that allows 2 or more to cook at the same time. Also the back corner behind it is useless unless you have really long arms. I'm 5'9" so I can't reach the back corner of the granite to clean dust unless I hop up on the countertop.

I also ordered the brackets to hang the lid on the wall. It's pretty dang heavy for what it is and takes up a huge amount of counter space if you don't hang it somewhere. If you have shoulder/rotator cuff issues you'll need to lift it w/two hands. I'd considered fashioning a pully system to raise it and hang above when not needed but that was going to be a pain in the butt for limited use. 98% of the time I'm cookin w/the lid off and hanging on the wall. If I want to use it as an oven I'll just use the oven in my house which is only a few steps away.

We did what we did to prevent blocking the view to our backyard from the living room windows.

Load up on papertowels or cheap hand towels for cleaning it. It is super easy but still requires a lot if you cook a lot at one time.

Otherwise

Garrelli 5000
AG
Forgot to mark as a reply for your notifications so adding this post.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.