Food & Spirits
Sponsored By

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

85,517 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Buck Compton
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beef with broccoli, carrots and onions. Simple fried rice. I didn't get a finished pic, I start getting in a hurry to keep the sauce from burning, getting everything done, and cleaning the griddle so I can eat the food while it's still hot! It turned out great!

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Le Griddle finally ready to go. We site says no need to season it, as the plate is 304 stainless. Is this correct? Should I season anyway?
EclipseAg
AG
Thanks to this thread, I finally got around to ordering a Blackstone a couple of weeks ago.

Used it for the first time on Sunday morning, cooking up bacon, sausage, eggs, peppers and onions for breakfast tacos. What a blast! Easy to use and easy to clean.

I know I'm gonna get a lot of use out of it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
It isn't going to hurt it. My Evo was pre-seasoned but I still fired it up w/avacodo oil until it smoked for a few minutes, wiped and let it cool, then repeated the process once or twice. Gave me an excuse to drink beer and stare at the new toy
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am actually heating up the avocado oil right now.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
aTm2004
AG
That's a lot of oil.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Yeah, I had, and probably still have, no idea what I am doing. Second round I used a lot less and it came out better. I think.
coastalAg
AG
My dad has a Le Griddle. Gets significantly hotter than my Blackstone. An infrared thermometer might be helpful for you to dial in the temps.
Buck Compton
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Yeah, I had, and probably still have, no idea what I am doing. Second round I used a lot less and it came out better. I think.
No need to "season" stainless steel. It won't really actually do anything. "Seasoning" is typically used for cast iron or steels that contain carbon and is an actual polymerization reaction. It is typically done with a very, very thin layer of oil. That's then repeated to form a few layers.

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/cleaning-and-care/cast-iron/science-cast-iron-seasoning

Iron is porous and allows the oils to actually attach as they polymerize and create the slick surface. With stainless steel, just use oil when you cook and feel free to clean it all completely at high heat just like you see at a Benihana.

Technically, you can do it - it's the brown build-up that you typically see on stainless steel pans. I just clean that off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.