Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

131,199 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by agcrock2005
bam02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mind posting the recipe? Looks great!
toolshed
AG
We did the flat top instead of the insta pot as far as cooking goes. We didn't do the cornstarch part to thicken it. But letting it simmer on the flat top, the sugars thickened enough to thicken the sauce a bit.
bam02
AG
Thanks! I think my whole family might actually enjoy this!
SnyderAg02
Just took the griddle plunge and can't wait to give it a shot. I'll have to try some of these recipes. Does anyone have any good recommendations for YouTube follows? I've seen some Flat Top King videos and some of his stuff looks decent. I'll also probably try some of the Meat Church recipes.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Hungry Hussey
SnyderAg02
Gracias.
Hwy30East
Here's a few more besides Hussey that I watch:

- The Griddle Guys
- Waltwins
- Back-yard Hibachi
AustinCountyAg
Seared some filets today I got from the meat market. DAMN GOOD.
Nobody Knows My Name
AG
Did kabobs for Mother's Day.
Garrelli 5000
AG
My buddy just released a cookbook.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone%C2%AE-Griddling-Ultimate-Show-Stopping-Recipes/dp/B0C3ZYRGYQ

Take the trash out staff.
SnyderAg02
Thanks for the recommendations. Looking forward to not greasing up my kitchen as much.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

My buddy just released a cookbook.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone%C2%AE-Griddling-Ultimate-Show-Stopping-Recipes/dp/B0C3ZYRGYQ

He's a good Instagram follow.
I Like Mike
AG
My 36 inch got delivered today. Down the rabbit hole I go!!
62strat
AG
I picked up this combo unit a few weeks ago. We take it when we go camping, but otherwise I've used the griddle plate on my webber with success, instead of having a second grill on my deck.

Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Name of skewers? Those look heavy duty.
DTP02
AG
I bought a 36" Blackstone this weekend and will be taking it up to our lodge in E TX.

I think I did a good job seasoning it, with 5 applications of Blackstone's seasoning oil.

My initial questions are more about cleaning.

After my first use I scraped it clean while still fairly hot, wiped it down with paper towels, and then applied a thin layer of oil on top and let that cook a couple minutes before turning off.

Any recommendations/changes to that process?

Since this is eventually going to be up at our lodge where it will get intermittent use, what should I do differently for times when it may go weeks or months without use?

I have the metal cover and a vinyl cover, and it will be outside but under a covered porch.
aTm2004
AG
Quote:

Since this is eventually going to be up at our lodge where it will get intermittent use, what should I do differently for times when it may go weeks or months without use?

I have the metal cover and a vinyl cover, and it will be outside but under a covered porch.
If you're going to store it for a while between uses, before putting the cover on it, I would let it cool and then rub down with another layer of oil, then wipe of the excess to leave a thin layer. Think seasoning a cold griddle. That will help protect it.

Being outside, even with a cover and it being well seasoned, it'll have some rust spots when you use it, but a little steel wool will take care of that (a paper towel may be enough as well) and won't be an issue. If your cabin is temp controlled even when not there, you could always take the steel off and set inside on some cardboard to help with the humidity.
MW03
AG
Trying to track down a recipe I want to try. Apparently, there is a restaurant in Austin that makes a hash brown "spread" by baking a potato, scooping out the insides, and then folding on a griddle. Anyone tried anything like this? My googling skills are failing me.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Has anyone used a Camp Chef 600 grill? Looking at possibly getting one of these or a blackstone for my patio. The camp chef looks similar to the blackstone with ~20% lower BTU.

Is this enough to sear a steak?

Was also looking at a restaurant grade flat top with a 3/4" top plate. Struggling to see the downside give the small cost difference.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/avantco-cag36mg-36-countertop-gas-griddle-with-manual-controls-90-000-btu/177CAG36MG.html
agcrock2005
AG
If you go the restaurant way, and you live in a bigger city, check out the auction sites. You can get some major steals on certain things. I see griddles all the time from restaurants. Downside is most of them are stainless and they're PITA to clean compared to blackstone, but still really good.
agcrock2005
AG
MW03 said:

Trying to track down a recipe I want to try. Apparently, there is a restaurant in Austin that makes a hash brown "spread" by baking a potato, scooping out the insides, and then folding on a griddle. Anyone tried anything like this? My googling skills are failing me.
There are tons of videos on YouTube but I don't fully understand what you're talking about. What do you mean by scooping out the inside and then folding? I can't picture what you're describing.
MW03
AG
So I made this that weekend to rave reviews. No recipe so I made it up.

Night before, I baked 6 potatoes. Once they cooled, I scooped them into a bowl and threw that in the fridge.

The next morning, after bringing them to room temperature, the potatoes got 6 pads of butter, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt. I mixed all that up until the potatoes got relatively smooth, but not overly creamy

Got the griddle warmed up and moved it back to medium low. I put down some chili olive oil, then I scooped the potatoes directly on to the grill and flattened them out.

Across the top of the flattened layer, I scooped out a hefty hand of cheddar cheese, grilled diced jalapenos, and chopped cooked bacon. After letting them go for a while, I folded the potatoes over on themselves.

The potatoes would sit. Id fold them. They'd sit. Id fold them. Took about 20 mins maybe.

The end result was pretty amazing. Where the cheese had leaked out, it crisped up super nice. Parts of the potatoes that sat the longest in oil crisped up. The rest stayed like the texture of a loaded baked potato. A pic of them on the griddle before I pulled them is below.

When it came time to plate, you too a warmed tortilla and spread the potatoes on almost like you would refried beans. On top of that, you laid some scrambled eggs and bacon, more cheese, then topped with red salsa and chopped cilantro.

Pretty dang exceptional. Also, no grill disaster to clean afterwards. Came up pretty easy.

agcrock2005
AG
Looks great. I still don't understand the "fold" part. Are you flipping?
MW03
AG
Nah, folding kind of like when you are mixing ingredients while baking. I basically take half the flattened pile and the literally fold it over on top and then press the new "pile" back flat again. Kind of got some of the crusty bits from the inside back into the inside. Then just keep repeating that.
dsvogel05
AG
Decided to join the club with a Traeger Flatrock. Trying Meat Church's chicken bacon ranch cheese steak for the maiden voyage.
big ben
AG
I want to get one of these but it's only two of us so cast iron on stove or grill works for now.

All look delicious
CapeAggie89
AG
Has anyone tried the Weber Grill insert that turns it into a griddle ?

https://www.weber.com/US/en/griddle/full-size-griddle-inserts/genesis-full-size-griddle-%E2%80%93-400-series/6789.html
62strat
AG
CapeAggie89 said:

Has anyone tried the Weber Grill insert that turns it into a griddle ?

https://www.weber.com/US/en/griddle/full-size-griddle-inserts/genesis-full-size-griddle-%E2%80%93-400-series/6789.html

I just use the griddle from my black stone tailgater; don't see any reason you'd have to buy any specific griddle for this idea to work, other than it might fit exactly.
CapeAggie89
AG
NM
Sazerac
AG
I'd be worried about grease disposal and cleaning.
You have to take the whole thing out and wash?
Seems like a pita
agcrock2005
AG
That's a great idea. If I didn't have a griddle already I'd be doing that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.