Food & Spirits
Sponsored By

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

85,513 Views | 359 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by Buck Compton
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the same one. Why not get the ecusive to Ace?
I would.
Agz_2003
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In this video, what is the guy using to apply the flax seed oil to his Blackstone? I have a new 28" Blackstone I need to season for the first time.

jgh85Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One video I saw said to use and old cotton tshirt. Paper towels can leave behind fuzzies.

I also found out that sheet pans sitting on the side tables next to the griddle can get pretty hot.
Ag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agz_2003 said:

In this video, what is the guy using to apply the flax seed oil to his Blackstone? I have a new 28" Blackstone I need to season for the first time.


Looked to me like paper towels held in tongs.
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just follow the initial directions and then cook a package of bacon. Boom. Seasoned. And bacon.
Aggie Apple
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I always use the heavier blue shop paper towels to clean and wipe down. They're stronger and don't leave behind any fuzzies.
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
cclearman said:

Is that lid hinged?
IMO being able to fully take it off is much better. Else it is just another thing to clean.
Ran it twice yesterday - breakfast and cheese steaks dinner.

Some thoughts on the attached lid.

I think the lid pivots away enough to get only a minimum of splatter - and it wiped up pretty easily. It did prove pretty useful in a couple of other ways as well:

  • I haven't yet bought a "dome" to cover food for steaming, cheese melting, etc. Pulling the lid down worked just fine and appears that it might provide enough convection effect that I might attempt a pizza or something similar that you'd usually put in an oven.
  • After I was done cooking and turned the burners off, I pulled the lid down to keep out any bugs, leaves, etc. until later when I was ready to clean up.

The only real drawback that I have with the lid is that it makes the overall set up about an inch too tall to store neatly under the counter where I was hoping to tuck it in. No big deal as that location is just temporary.
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nice.

With the removable lid it has a two hooks so you can hang it off the back lip. When I go to clean I've been hitting the surface with a quick bit of hose water to create the steam cleaning. First time I use the lid That splashed grease all over the Underside. Clean a different way and it seems the attached lid should be just fine.
Texker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
28" on order!
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Elk burgers went on tonight

RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nothing more American than a burger with a side of ruffles.
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That was the goal.

Watermelon earlier and home made ice cream to top it off went along with it
jgh85Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Eggroll bowls with shrimp
Larry S Ross
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Everyone really needs to try the smashburger on your griddle. There are plenty of YouTube videos on it. Takes burgers at home to another level.
I bought a concrete trowel from ace to smash them. Need to you use 80/20 ground beef.
Good Day.
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Larry S Ross said:

Everyone really needs to try the smashburger on your griddle. There are plenty of YouTube videos on it. Takes burgers at home to another level.
I bought a concrete trowel from ace to smash them. Need to you use 80/20 ground beef.


Agree greasy burgers are the best.
Hwy30East
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have the Academy outdoor gourmet flat top? If so, how do you like it? I saw they were on sale for $249 over the Memorial Day weekend.
Tx-Ag2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What types of flat tops are y'all using? I see a bunch of Blackstone and a few Blaze. Has anyone used the EVO circular flat tops? Looking at adding one to the outdoor kitchen I am designing and they seem to get great reviews but damn if they aren't pricy.
Ag83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tx-Ag2010 said:

What types of flat tops are y'all using? I see a bunch of Blackstone and a few Blaze. Has anyone used the EVO circular flat tops? Looking at adding one to the outdoor kitchen I am designing and they seem to get great reviews but damn if they aren't pricy.
Mine is a Camp Chef FTG600.
Texker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fired up the Blackstone for meal #2 for Sunday brunch. Handled the bacon, hashbrowns, eggs and warm-up of grilled veggies from the night before with ease and all at once. There's a learning curve in cooking that much food at one time plus managing the heat but overall an awesome meal. I love it already.
Electrical_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texker said:

Fired up the Blackstone for meal #2 for Sunday brunch. Handled the bacon, hashbrowns, eggs and warm-up of grilled veggies from the night before with ease and all at once. There's a learning curve in cooking that much food at one time plus managing the heat but overall an awesome meal. I love it already.
Did meal number 1 involve an onion volcano or imitation steam locomotive?
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Electrical_Ag said:

Texker said:

Fired up the Blackstone for meal #2 for Sunday brunch. Handled the bacon, hashbrowns, eggs and warm-up of grilled veggies from the night before with ease and all at once. There's a learning curve in cooking that much food at one time plus managing the heat but overall an awesome meal. I love it already.
Did meal number 1 involve an onion volcano or imitation steam locomotive?
My kids have demanded that I learn this.
Ducks4brkfast
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

Electrical_Ag said:

Texker said:

Fired up the Blackstone for meal #2 for Sunday brunch. Handled the bacon, hashbrowns, eggs and warm-up of grilled veggies from the night before with ease and all at once. There's a learning curve in cooking that much food at one time plus managing the heat but overall an awesome meal. I love it already.
Did meal number 1 involve an onion volcano or imitation steam locomotive?
My kids have demanded that I learn this.
Pretty steep learning curve for you?
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Haven't attempted it yet.
jgh85Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Get some onions and tannerite for a great show.
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

My kids have demanded that I learn this.


Cut onion rings and find the best combo to stack. Squirt about 1/2oz oil down the pipe followed by about a 1/2oz of vodka. (High proof if you got it). Hit with a stick lighter immediately and push down the track with your spatula
Ezra Brooks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Little pizza themed riff on cheese steaks last night.


La Fours
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and kids got me this Blue Rhino griddle for Father's Day. That pick was take after seasoning it 3 times. Then went to the pool for a few hours. Came back home and seasoned it another time or two before doing some hibachi.

Excited to use it again this weekend, weather permitting.


Hwy30East
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So what's cooking????

I just got the Sams Members Mark 4 burner flat top. $199. I went through the seasoning process, and the first cook was Chicken and beef Fajitas with peppers and onions. It was a big hit with the family, but still a lot to learn. Not sure what I'm going to cook next.
FIDO*98*
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Made 'Egg Roll in a Bowl' tonight. Wish I had thought to take pictures. It was easy as could be and tasted great. I added some wheat rice noodles to give it some body. Just google a recipe. They're all pretty much the same
Post removed:
by user
Hwy30East
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've now cooked smash burgers, Chicken Fried rice, and Chicken Quesadillas. The family has loved it all. I also made a Fried cabbage, bacon, and sausage recipe today that turned out really well. I've got some ribeyes that I'm going to throw on there this week.

A couple of things I've learned is you really have to pay attention to your heat and hot spots on these. And you need to make sure you have everything prepared and ready to go on because it can cook fast. I've gotten to where I start out low and slow.

Fido, an egg roll bowl is Now on my list of things to try.
4timeAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just caught up on this thread. I have the 36" black stone with the hard top. I absolutely love it. Have cooked on it 2-3 times a week since I bought it. I worked at a grill restaurant running the flat top in high school and this takes me back!

We just had a kid in June so we have had a steady stream of family visiting on weekends. I have done smash burgers the most but also did hibachi, fajitas, and, breakfast several times. My wife used to hate me cooking bacon in the house but this absolutely solves that problem. I think I will have to try fish now after seeing this thread.
TheFunnierPhideaux
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I got a 17" model Blackstone for my birthday a while back but just got it going last night. Cooked up some ping gai chicken on it and it did GREAT!

How do y'all clean your griddle plate?
Na Zdraví 87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just set up my new 28". Fixing to season it and join the club.
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Water for steam
Scrapper
Folded paper towel
Light oil
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.