Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

131,203 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by agcrock2005
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beef with broccoli, carrots and onions. Simple fried rice. I didn't get a finished pic, I start getting in a hurry to keep the sauce from burning, getting everything done, and cleaning the griddle so I can eat the food while it's still hot! It turned out great!

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Le Griddle finally ready to go. We site says no need to season it, as the plate is 304 stainless. Is this correct? Should I season anyway?
EclipseAg
AG
Thanks to this thread, I finally got around to ordering a Blackstone a couple of weeks ago.

Used it for the first time on Sunday morning, cooking up bacon, sausage, eggs, peppers and onions for breakfast tacos. What a blast! Easy to use and easy to clean.

I know I'm gonna get a lot of use out of it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
It isn't going to hurt it. My Evo was pre-seasoned but I still fired it up w/avacodo oil until it smoked for a few minutes, wiped and let it cool, then repeated the process once or twice. Gave me an excuse to drink beer and stare at the new toy
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I am actually heating up the avocado oil right now.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
aTm2004
AG
That's a lot of oil.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Yeah, I had, and probably still have, no idea what I am doing. Second round I used a lot less and it came out better. I think.
coastalAg
AG
My dad has a Le Griddle. Gets significantly hotter than my Blackstone. An infrared thermometer might be helpful for you to dial in the temps.
Buck Compton
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Yeah, I had, and probably still have, no idea what I am doing. Second round I used a lot less and it came out better. I think.
No need to "season" stainless steel. It won't really actually do anything. "Seasoning" is typically used for cast iron or steels that contain carbon and is an actual polymerization reaction. It is typically done with a very, very thin layer of oil. That's then repeated to form a few layers.

https://www.lodgecastiron.com/cleaning-and-care/cast-iron/science-cast-iron-seasoning

Iron is porous and allows the oils to actually attach as they polymerize and create the slick surface. With stainless steel, just use oil when you cook and feel free to clean it all completely at high heat just like you see at a Benihana.

Technically, you can do it - it's the brown build-up that you typically see on stainless steel pans. I just clean that off.
agcrock2005
AG
Just got my evo set up a few days ago and the first meal I did was fried rice and chicken stir fry. Turned out great, but the rice could have been better. I cooked it and then put on baking sheet and in fridge for about 4 hours but it was quite a bit of rice and didn't have time to dry. It got a little gooey because it wasn't fully dried out when I put it on the evo.

How do you prepare your rice if you're going to do friend rice?
Ag83
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Just got my evo set up a few days ago and the first meal I did was fried rice and chicken stir fry. Turned out great, but the rice could have been better. I cooked it and then put on baking sheet and in fridge for about 4 hours but it was quite a bit of rice and didn't have time to dry. It got a little gooey because it wasn't fully dried out when I put it on the evo.

fridge overnight.
agcrock2005
AG
Ag83 said:

agcrock2005 said:

fridge overnight.
Thank you but looking for more advice. Covered, uncovered, baking sheet, etc.? Looking for more specifics from the talented chefs of this thread!
Hwy30East
Uncovered, or not sealed tightly.
I just had mine in a large bowl.
agcrock2005
AG
Thanks. Think I'm going to give it another try this weekend.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Spread the rice on a big serving platter or bowl to get as much surface area exposed to air as possible.

Take the trash out staff.
Ag83
AG
Hwy30East said:

Uncovered, or not sealed tightly.
I just had mine in a large bowl.
Sorry - this.

I have heard that if you do not have time to make it the day before, you can spread it on a cookie sheet and put in freezer for hour or so. Never done that so can't say how well it works.
Scriffer
AG
How much clearance is needed for cooking under a covered patio? Getting tired of navigating the griddle out to the edge of patio.

Where I store it, I have about 6 inches of clearance to the back on back wall of my patio and 10' of vertical clearance directly above which of course slopes down to yard.

Behind the griddle are windows and framing into the house.

I don't really mind rolling it out, but I don't want if I don't have to.
schmellba99
AG
Scriffer said:

How much clearance is needed for cooking under a covered patio? Getting tired of navigating the griddle out to the edge of patio.

Where I store it, I have about 6 inches of clearance to the back on back wall of my patio and 10' of vertical clearance directly above which of course slopes down to yard.

Behind the griddle are windows and framing into the house.

I don't really mind rolling it out, but I don't want if I don't have to.
No need to move it at all from where you have it
beagle2009
AG
Bacon & Shrimp fried rice on the Blackstone tonight. Pretty damn tasty.

AggieChemist
AG
Bacon cheddar patty melt?

Bacon cheddar patty melt.
CowtownAg06
AG
I asked this over on the OB, but didn't get very far. I have propane at my house and have a 3/4" stub at my grill area. I want to tap my Blackstone directly into the house, but can't figure out exactly what I need. I can find NG conversion kits, but I don't need that. I asked a plumber and he said it's pretty simple parts but he doesn't carry them. I went to a grill store and they had no clue. Any here done this? My next stop is a propane store.
sanitariex
AG
Home Depot should have everything you need to hard plumb or put in a quick connect. You'll have to take the hose off. I hard plumbed all my appliances in my outdoor kitchen with the yellow flex hose, they come with multiple fittings, it should be 3/8" flare I believe off the black stone. The hose with a btu rating closest to 60,000 btus is 1/2" male pipe thread with the reducer, so you can use a 1/2" to 3/4" threaded reducer for the connection. Someone may come along and explain that better than me….

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BrassCraft-ProCoat-1-2-in-FIP-x-1-2-in-MIP-x-48-in-Stainless-Steel-Gas-Connector-1-2-in-O-D-60-500-BTU-CSSD54-48-X/100193061
toolshed
AG
I did the same for my Mother in Laws Webber grill, installed a 10' quick connect hose to their propane fitting at the back of the house so they don't have to haul propane bottles. I can't recall exactly but I think we removed and didn't need a regulator as the propane is already regulated at the connection to the house or manifold upstairs in the attic.

I had to get the correct reducer fittings for the female quick connect. Then installed the quick connect (like an air hose connection) to the house and installed the hose to the grill. It's a flare gas fitting if I recall correctly, so easy swap there.

Then just a matter of connecting the hose to the fitting and turning on when they want to use it. You could either leave it connected and shut off the valve or disconnect the hose to move it away easily for storage or cleaning in the area.

I used the natural gas conversion kit, disregarded the actual orifices that were supposed to swap if you're connecting to natural gas. I only used that because it was in stock. You can get our order just the house and connector.

Hose: https://www.homedepot.com/p/10-ft-Natural-Gas-Hose-710-0005/206338749

Quick connect fitting, it's 3/8" female thread so I have to get a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer and a 3/8 close nipple to make the connection.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Connect-Brass-Fitting-710-0006/206338747

Hope that helps.

Garrelli 5000
AG
I saw a pick of a cheesesteak yesterday and went to the store during lunch to get the ingredients for dinner.

Similar to one I posted a while back - ribeye, shrooms, onions, wit-beercheesewhiz. Found Martin's Potato Roll hoagies at the store and it was perfect.

busdriver88
AG
Just became a member of the club, loving this griddle so far. Thanks to everyone for all the input. Speeds up the learning curve for sure.
There may not be time to do the job right, but there is always time to do the job over!!
jaggiemaggie
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

I saw a pick of a cheesesteak yesterday and went to the store during lunch to get the ingredients for dinner.

Similar to one I posted a while back - ribeye, shrooms, onions, wit-beercheesewhiz. Found Martin's Potato Roll hoagies at the store and it was perfect.

What kind of round cooktop is that ?
Garrelli 5000
AG
It's an Evo 30g.
agcrock2005
AG
Anyone have a good homemade birria taco recipe? Sam the cooking guy has a decent one on his channel but was hoping for a more authentic version that's not using beef short ribs for the meat.
aggietony2010
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Anyone have a good homemade birria taco recipe? Sam the cooking guy has a decent one on his channel but was hoping for a more authentic version that's not using beef short ribs for the meat.

I made this one and enjoyed it... But it does use some beef rib and oxtail. Mostly chuck roast.

agcrock2005
AG
Despite that guy being most annoying person ever, that looks dang good! Thanks.
kylewhitener
I finally caved and got the 36" blackstone last week. Did smash burgers the first night and they turned out great. Decided to do them again tonight since I still had all the ingredients and tonight my flattop was turning everything black. The grilled onions, bacon, buns, and meat all got a little black from the flattop. I seasoned it before the first use with the Blackstone 'griddle seasoning & cast iron conditioner' that they sell.

Did I not season it enough?
Did I not clean it enough after the first use?
Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!
terradactylexpress
Sounds like you didn't clean it
aTm2004
AG
That, or you put your seasoning on too thick and it's coming off.
toolshed
AG
Bump for a good thread,

Mongolian beef recipe.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.