Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

131,201 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by agcrock2005
Texker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, I ordered a package deal on the Blackstone site. Shipping was free. I need to use it more.
coastalaggie
AG
Garrelli 5000 said:

Forgot to mark as a reply for your notifications so adding this post.
Thanks for the info. Any issues with seasoning it or keeping it from rusting? Any suggestions on what you would do differently, if any at all?

Edit to add, the cooking videos on their home page are entertaining; that guy is pretty darn funny with some interesting cooking suggestions.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
Texker
AG
Maintain it as recommended and you'll be fine.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Yeah, Sam the Cooking Guy is great.

It comes seasoned but I still did my own burn/season w/avacado oil before I used it the first time. Not much different than seasoning a carbon steel skillet.

I just follow their directions. Scrape off any food w/a spatula/scraper. Squirt some avacodo oil then hit it w/the scotchbrite pad/handle that come w/ the grill. I've never needed to use the heavier metal pad they also provide. Whipe off after scraping, then apply another thin coat of avacodo oil and white it all over the surface and sides of the griddle. Then I put the lid back on it until ready to use again. Sometimes pad scrape isn't necessary - just depends on if you vcould get everything up with a spatula and paper towls.

I typically do all of this as soon as I'm done cooking and before even taking the food in. Takes 1 minute tops. If a lot of mess got in the drip tray I'll come back after eating to clean it up. That lowers the risk of burning your hands/fingers whiping out the drip ring.

I keep a squeeze bottle of avacado oil on-hand to make it easy to apply. It is also what I cook with most of the time.

I've had it since last September (give or take) and have no rusting issues. Due to its location on my patio it gets minimal if any rain.
Take the trash out staff.
coastalaggie
AG
Thank you for the feedback.
Fair Winds and Following Seas
Stupid@17
AG
Any of yall have experience with the camp chef 600 or larger series flat tops (the entire flat top comes off and is a standard gas grill without lid).
Ag83
AG
Stupid@17 said:

Any of yall have experience with the camp chef 600 or larger series flat tops (the entire flat top comes off and is a standard gas grill without lid).
I have one. Like it. But I never use the grill feature.
Stupid@17
AG
Ag83 said:

Stupid@17 said:

I have one. Like it. But I never use the grill feature.

Anything special needed to season it? I know they say it is already seasoned, but I've seen that before and its been half the time.
Ag83
AG
Mine was preseasoned fine. Nothing special needed other than some oil and some paper towels.
chet98
AG
Anyone have a griddle that they use on a gas grill? Looking at one from these guys...

https://www.littlegriddle.com/
dummble
AG
I got this one when it was like $30.

I also have a 22" portable blackstone and the center burners on my stove is a griddle. I have a gas grill attached to my gas line outside that was getting very little use till I bought the griddle topper since charcoal on my kettle is almost as fast to heat up and tastes way better.

I really like it, it is big enough to cook a ton of hotdogs which is what it is mainly used for. I would be scared to do fried rice or similar since it does not have sides.
agdoc91
AG
bdgol07 said:

Stumbled upon this thread....

I am getting a 36in Blackstone for my anniversary present TSC has them for $299 with the hard cover. Already have some spatulas and soft cover on order. Any can't live without accessories that I should have her throw in as well?
  • Good, heavy duty scraper Cuisinart scraper
  • Press for bacon and smashburgers Bacon and burger press
  • Infrared Thermometer to identify hotspots Infrared thermometer
  • Disposable aluminum foil pans to use as a cover or serving dish
  • plenty of cheap rags for cleaning
  • multiple squirt bottles for water and different oils

Also recently bought egg rings and a batter dispenser for pancakes but haven't had a chance to use yet. I also use a few metal trivets I can set the foil pans on to keep food warm without continuing to cook it.

Have fun with it - I love mine and use it probably 2-3 times/week.
bdgol07
AG
Fired mine up five or so times last week (chicken fajitas, bacon, 32 burgers with onions and bacon, bacon and she grilled cheese sammiches, and chicken fried rice) and that included my one year old's birthday party this past Saturday.

Things I've learned already, need some more space, the wings get a little warm if cooking at medium so I had to use anther table, trashcan close by, better rags (the painters rags from HD are crap-tastic, better scraper (the scooper that came with my set isn't going to cut it), more foil inserts for the drip tray, squirt bottles for oil, more foil pans of different sizes, and most importantly, CHECK THE DAMN TANK. I ran out of propane yesterday making chicken fried rice so I had to run up to the stop and rob to get an exchange.

So far, I am loving this thing. Already have another $100 worth of crap in my Amazon cart ready and waiting to pull the trigger

Chipotlemonger
AG
Butterfly those breasts!
Beckdiesel03
AG
Finally some pictures and not just discussions! I have been waiting for some pictures on this thread for awhile now.
texag06ish
AG
How do you like your le griddle?
bdgol07
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Butterfly those breasts!
Definitely will next time. That was the maiden voyage and I didn't get home until 630 and had to hustle to get everything started and didn't even think about it. I hammered out the chicken breasts for the chicken fried rice to a much more manageable thickness last night and they were great.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
texag06ish said:

How do you like your le griddle?
It's incredible. I use it way more than my NG grill - maybe because the griddle faces all the action. There's about a 60 lb cast iron plate right under the stainless cooking surface that gets hot and stays hot. It did cost a pretty penny, but its what I needed for my outdoor kitchen build.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I shall never grill again. Smash burgers were on point! So good.
Stupid@17
AG
So I'm just starting out on a camp chef 600 (4 burner griddle).

Did first test run last night after a burn off to make sure nothing left behind by factory. Took a REALLY long time to cool down to a usable temp.

Im assuming in future preheating in future needs to be done essentially on low.

What temp are yall bringing the griddle surface to for smash burgers vs pancakes?
Mule_lx
AG
Anyone have a burger press recommendation?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
I went with Lodge. No complaints so far...
bdgol07
AG
A lot of people on Facebook groups use trowels from HD
sanitariex
AG
I just bought the blackstone press while I was at Walmart. It has tiny grooves, but it has a nice heft to it. With parchment paper it presses them real thin.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-Cast-Iron-Griddle-Press-with-Non-Slip-Handle-Medium/378070499
'03ag
That's what I use
agdoc91
AG
I like this press because it has no grooves. Used it this weekend for the first time and worked great.

Burger press
agdoc91
AG
Cooked both this weekend! Smashburgers I usually am at medium to medium high. Pancakes on low. I also suggest an infrared thermometer to identify hotspots. This is particularly helpful for things like pancakes so they dont burn.
Mule_lx
AG
Do the grooves hurt? Is it better if flat?
ValleyRatAg
AG
You don't need a burger press if you have one of these.

Mercer Culinary Hell's Handle Heavy Duty Turner/Spatula, 6 Inch x 5 Inch https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00DT1XEMS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_TBX7Y666ZHW30RWBHFF4
ORAggieFan
That's what I use for all my black stone cooking. It's awesome for smashing.
sanitariex
AG
No the grooves on that one don't make a difference with parchment paper, but I have another bacon press that has deep grooves that wouldn't work.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Moar smash burgers on homemade buns because why not?!

OasisMan
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Butterfly those breasts!
i use the boneless/skinless thighs w/ oil/seasoning
cook em up whole, and then shred em on the griddle using the 2 hibachi spatulas, then spread around the shredded meat in the oil/seasoning already on the griddle

incredible, our family now prefers "chicken fajitas" to fajitas

Quote:

Anyone have a burger press recommendation?
i prefer the circular, groove-less one -- the one we got
12thAngryMan
AG
Has anyone tried one of these on their kitchen stove (gas)?

https://steelmadeusa.com/products/flat-top-grill-griddle

I'd like to get in on the flat top action, but having this in the kitchen seems a lot more convenient than cooking outside.
Stupid@17
AG
So, im thinking of doing some mongolian grill style bowls over memorial day weekend while waiting for brisket smoke to finish.

Anyone tried doing this on flat top? Assuming it will basically work same, just need to pre soak the rice noodles and put veggies raw meat and sauce all together, shake real good and throw on with a dome?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.