Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

131,181 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by agcrock2005
Sazerac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did you order recently? I've looked for the last month and nothing .
Ogre09
AG
What do y'all do to keep it clean? Mine keeps getting rusty and doesn't have that slick shiny seasoning.
Vernada
AG
you need to google 'seasoning your blackstone' or something similar.

I followed the basic steps they gave - ran it on high heat for a while to burn off the oil they applied when they boxed it up.

After that, I cooked a package of bacon. It's been in great shape every since.

After every cook, I'll scrape, then wipe it down with oil, put the top on, and leave it until next time.
Tabasco
AG
Ogre09 said:

What do y'all do to keep it clean? Mine keeps getting rusty and doesn't have that slick shiny seasoning.
bartenders friend
Sazerac
AG
Man I can't find the nat gas conversion kit anywhere....
Idiot Savant
AG
In July, IIRC.
Idiot Savant
AG
Yeah, doesn't look like they currently have the kit for the larger griddles.
03_Aggie
Banana pancakes for breakfast and some tacos for the week.

FIDO*98*
AG
A little pre-Wurstfest warm up at the Comal County Fair.

Vernada
AG
Get those Aggie pork chops ready.
FIDO*98*
AG
TexAgs is always watching!

As a matter of fact, I'll be with the Aggie Chop crew today from 2-7. Just curious, that was back in 2017...did you know you were talking to FIDO?
Vernada
AG
FIDO*98* said:

TexAgs is always watching!

As a matter of fact, I'll be with the Aggie Chop crew today from 2-7. Just curious, that was back in 2017...did you know you were talking to FIDO?
Nope - I only know about it because you mentioned it on the GB I believe. I never made it through the pork chop line myself that year.
03_Aggie
You using a pizza peel to flip all those things or what? I'd go crazy with tongs!
bbry81
Man I got absolutely plastered selling those things one year at wurstfest. Coolers of beer in the back of the booth kept flowing.
Scan Man
AG
We're just finishing up having an outdoor kitchen built, and our builder highly encouraged us to get a griddle installed (went with a Blaze 30" to match our grill).

I've never had a griddle (other than a table top Presto) - any suggestions for getting it seasoned? I just ordered a griddle tool kit from Amazon (couple of spatulas and a scraper), any other must have tools?

My family is pretty fired up for some fried rice and breakfast tacos! I appreciate any tips and tricks, thanks in advance!
RK
AG
i just put one in our house and have used it a handful of times. as far as seasoning, i think they just recommend heating it up for about 30 minutes to burn the factory stuff off. then a light coat of oil to keep it from rusting. pretty easy. having high smoke point oil in a squeeze bottle is key. just shoot a little on right before you put the food down and you should be good to go. i did cook a package of bacon on it right out of the gate...partially to help season and partially because i like bacon. a lot.
FIDO*98*
AG
The Blaze has a Stainless cooking surface as opposed to the Carbon steel surface of the Blackstone. There should be no need to season it
DiskoTroop
Got this for my birthday last week!!! Super excited to get it running as soon as I have my house unpacked.

Joe Exotic
AG
Scan Man said:

We're just finishing up having an outdoor kitchen built, and our builder highly encouraged us to get a griddle installed (went with a Blaze 30" to match our grill).

I've never had a griddle (other than a table top Presto) - any suggestions for getting it seasoned? I just ordered a griddle tool kit from Amazon (couple of spatulas and a scraper), any other must have tools?

My family is pretty fired up for some fried rice and breakfast tacos! I appreciate any tips and tricks, thanks in advance!

I have the blaze 30" griddle as well and Fido is right. No need to season. I actually scour mine with a griddle cleaning stone after each use.

Order this too from amazon. It's indispensable.

Avant Grub Grill Cleaning Brick. Commercial Grade Pumice Stone Tool Cleans & Sanitizes Restaurant Flat Top Grills or Griddles. Remove Grease Stains, Dirt and More Without Harsh Chemicals or Abrasives. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071XK6XBB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2XkNDbPZ21ZXJ
FIDO*98*
AG
I'd also recommend the Mercer 6"x5" heavy turner for pressing & flipping those Smash Burger you are about to get addicted too. These are 3oz patty doubles for small buns, but, works just as well for a 6oz single. If you don't have one, a small digital scale is also nice to have around for weighing out patties.

Vernada
AG
Smash burgers from the griddle is the only way we do burgers at home now.

And I use that same turner Fido linked. And I use a scale to make sure all my burgers are the same size.
Scan Man
AG
Nice. All accessories purchased.

At the risk of sounding completely ignorant - is there anything special I need to do to cook on a stainless griddle? Or just use high smoke point oil (avocado?) and go?

RK
AG
oil and go. be sure to give it plenty of time to come up to temp. i got one of those thermal guns to use a few times so i could check the surface temp since knobs are low/high rather than temperature graduations.
Vernada
AG
IIRC - avocado is pretty pricey

I use an oil blend that is advertised as high temp. I think it's a combo of peanut and canola. Works fine.
Sazerac
AG
grapeseed is my go to

Still can't find that dang NG conversion kit. May just buy component pieces.
Joe Exotic
AG
Avocado oil is pretty cheap at Aldi. H-E-B also has an avocado oil spray that's legit.
FIDO*98*
AG
Lemon Pepper Speckled Trout on the 'Stone tonight

JAG03
AG
I bought these presses for my flat top griddle and have really liked them.

New Star Foodservice 42542 Extra... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FEPLC0S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
FIDO*98*
AG
Thanks in part to great weather and free admission, New Braunfels Little League set a Wednesday night record at the Pork Chop Booth. I cooked close to a Thousand tonight and Grill #2 somewhere around 650. (Not a brag, second grill starts later and shuts down earlier). For those in the area, please come visit before Sunday. Best Pork Chops outside of Perry's. I'll be back in action Friday night for anyone who wants a FIDO Chop!

Vernada
AG
Wife and I had one of your pork chops last night.
RK
AG
i pity the poor SOB who has to clean up after you.
FIDO*98*
AG
I'm that poor SOB. It's not fun
FIDO*98*
AG
Vernada said:

Wife and I had one of your pork chops last night.

If you come back next year on the first Sunday or Wednesday, ask for an Animal Bowl. We get a couple of really thick chops per hundred that just don't finish by the time I need the grill cleaned to get going on a new batch. I'll hold them separately and when I get a free second I'll chunk those up and re-grill them in Mustard ala In-n-Out. I throw them in a bowl and set them out for the volunteers to snack on. Everyone loves them. Another trick is to order a Freaky Wurst Taco, dunked. I'll take a Jalapeno Wurst taco and dunk it in the Chop sauce. Then I'll throw it on the grill for a few seconds per side to dry it out just a tad. Turns out amazing.

Not some secret menu that we're coming up with btw, if I'm not cooking, nobody will know wtf you're talking about.
GeorgiAg
AG
You *******s just cost me money. I hope you're happy.

(Mine comes tomorrow.)

FIDO*98*
AG
I am happy..........Happy for you!

Seasoning tip: Crank that bad boy all the way up. Use Crisco and apply sparingly with a shop towel or other lint free towel. When the smoke dies down repeat again and again until you have a nice patina. I used Peanut Oil and too much of it per application seasoning my first one. That lead to some uneven surfaces and not great coloration.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.