Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

131,180 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by agcrock2005
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I keep mine covered with the hard cover.

If you just wipe it down with oil after cooking, it should be fine. When I've gone an extended time w/o cooking (which almost never happens), I've noticed some rust looking spot where the lid 'legs' contact the surface. But after scraping and rubbing with oil again, they're gone.
Vernada
AG
Plus, I can't imagine how filthy it would get if it just sat uncovered.
ORAggieFan
Yeah, the key is to put some oil on it after cleaning it. A few times I've thought there was so much fat cooking on it that it was good. I'm not sure if it's recommended, but I've been cleaning it, then spraying with PAM, then wiping with a paper towel.

I think moisture would accumulate on it like crazy w/o a cover.
Sazerac
AG
Dang $73 on Amazon.
Texker
AG
ORAggieFan said:

Texker said:

I've thought about buying a Blackstone. Our baseball league had one and it was awesome.
Do it. I use mine so much. Totally worth it.
The family says go for so definitely going to purchase one. Just need to decide 36 or 28 and where to buy.
toolshed
AG

Chicken stir fry a couple nights ago.
ORAggieFan
Texker said:

ORAggieFan said:

Texker said:

I've thought about buying a Blackstone. Our baseball league had one and it was awesome.
Do it. I use mine so much. Totally worth it.
The family says go for so definitely going to purchase one. Just need to decide 36 or 28 and where to buy.

I got mine on Amazon for $250 a few months ago. Older model so it doesn't have the paper towel holder and trash holder. I'd probably prefer without, but for $100 less was a no brainer. Some of the outdoor stores had similar deals.
tlepoC
AG
So I need a new grill. Any major advantages to getting a Blackstone style vs just getting a gas grill and sticking a flat top on top. Seems like it would basically be same but more versatile
Ogre09
AG
I would go gas grill with a removable flat top. Cleaning these things is a booger.
Post removed:
by user
Sazerac
AG
Rarely use a gas grill any longer. Blackstone does everything but smoke.
law80
AG
We have been looking at these lately for the house and was wondering what everyone would suggest as far as brand goes? Have seen Blackstone and Blue Rhino as the 2 that are compared the most out there. Anyone have any experience with the Blue Rhino?
Sazerac
AG
I don't.

I do recommend the hard top cover. What an improvement over the soft!
jgh85Ag
AG
No experience with blue rhino but just got a 36" Blackstone at Walmart last weekend. I have done 3 cooks so far and it is great. No better way to cook bacon. The burgers tonight were excellent. Highly recommend it.
Tabasco
AG
cclearman said:

Rarely use a gas grill any longer. Blackstone does everything but smoke.
I've been probably 90% grill, 10% teppanyaki for years. Some things are much better on Teppan (scallops by far, smash burgers, quesadillas, fried rice, pot stickers). Grill with cover has a lot of benefits. Don't get me wrong, love my teppanyaki.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Just bought this bad boy at Ace - pick it up on Saturday.

I've been looking at flat tops for quite a while - can't wait to get started.

Vernada
AG
I SO wish this version would have been introduced when I got mine.
Sazerac
AG
Is that lid hinged?
IMO being able to fully take it off is much better. Else it is just another thing to clean.
DiskoTroop
Did a little home hibachi the other day and I didn't get pictures of the results but for those interested these are the recipes I found that worked:

Ginger Sauce:

Mustard Sauce:

Whip cream to very soft peaks and fold in after you blend other ingredients.

Hibachi Shrimp:

Also sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds afterwards and a squeeze of lemon.

Hibachi Veggies were my own concoction:
Zucchini, squash, mung bean, onion, mushroom simply sauted in garlic soy butter used for shrimp, also sprinkled with sesame seeds.

Miso soup turned out terrible so I won't bother with that recipe and we bought a jar of the salad dressing from our local hibachi place last time we went so we had that already made.

These all worked out great so give them a try!
DiskoTroop
Accidentally quoted myself instead of edit!! Sorry
tlepoC
AG
What about this version makes it so desireable? It looks like it is Ace exclusive? I'm not able to find much information about this model to compare with the one's on Blackstone's site.
Vernada
AG
It comes with the lid and papertowel holder which is nice - mine didn't.

I agree, being able to completely remove the lid is nice, and I can't tell if this one comes all the way off.

However, the big thing that this has is the level of the two side shelves. Mine are much lower which is annoying.
Ezra Brooks
AG
cclearman said:

Is that lid hinged?
IMO being able to fully take it off is much better. Else it is just another thing to clean.
It is a hinged lid.

There was a version for with detachable lid at Walmart for $299. The only one available in my area got sold before I pulled the trigger, I was disappointed that I missed out on it.

I saw this version pop up as I was searching for the Walmart version yesterday - it was $399. But this morning I got a notice that it had a price drop. Then I saw the video above this morning as well and decided to pull the trigger.

I'll report back when I have an opinion on the hinged lid.
Sazerac
AG
Like the new knobs and the mag bar.

My only complaint remaining with mine is the ignition sucks. I usually just use a lighter at this point.

Converting to nat gas was the best upgrade.
Hard cover the second. Just had a monsoon yesterday morning and when I checked in the afternoon it was bone dry.
Ezra Brooks
AG
cclearman said:

Converting to nat gas was the best upgrade.
Hard cover the second. Just had a monsoon yesterday morning and when I checked in the afternoon it was bone dry.
I'm going to start with propane, but may look to add a natural gas connection and quick connect at the most likely cooking location.

Do you store yours under a roof? Mine will start that way but eventually will end up on a cooking area that won't be covered. I plan to use the hard cover and a soft cover over that even.
Sazerac
AG
Mine is under an open pergolla
Texker
AG
Leaning towards this one.

https://blackstoneproducts.com/collections/griddles/products/36-griddle-cooking-station-with-accessory-side-shelf
jgh85Ag
AG
The Walmart version comes with a hard cover lidfor the same price if you can find it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackstone-4-Burner-36-Griddle-Cooking-Station-with-Hard-Cover/578992934
OasisMan
AG
mine is out in the open, on the pool deck

i ended up putting a hard cover on mine -- it is completely removable, but it also has some lips on the underside of it that you can rest it on, making it a little backsplash

i then put a soft cover over the whole thing
OasisMan
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

cooked 'chicken yakitori' w/ fried rice from this guys channel

turned out very nice, daughter is requesting it "at minimum once/wk"!
Ezra Brooks
AG
Picked it up and got it seasoned yesterday. About to head outside to fire up for initial run of bacon, deer sausage, eggs and pancakes.

Cheese steaks this evening.
tlepoC
AG
Anyone have the tailgate size? Wondering if that may be easier to store while still being good enough for home use.
Hamburger Dan
Not a true "flat top", but a really good Sunday am breakfast, nonetheless.
Fresh tortillas from a local bakery.
Scrambled eggs, with leftover roasted potatoes, chorizo, cheese, and the last of my home roasted Hatch Chiles. Made breakfast quesadillas.
I used a large cast iron skillet on top of my Yoder charcoal grill.
Ag83
AG

First try at elk burgers on the Camp Chef.
Ag83
AG
Double post

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.