Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

131,172 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by agcrock2005
HouAggie2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Fido what station are you at? Will be there tomorrow and always like to toss money toward ags
FIDO*98*
AG
Looks like I'm done with Wurstfest now. I have a sick kid at home and my wife and older son are going to be parking cars for the church
HouAggie2007
Guess it's back to sausage in a stick then
GeorgiAg
AG
I saw one guy say you *have* to use flaxseed oil. Think I might skip that advice. How many times did you season it?
Vernada
AG
GeorgiAg said:

I saw one guy say you *have* to use flaxseed oil. Think I might skip that advice. How many times did you season it?
I wiped my down per the Blackstone instructions then just cooked a package of bacon.

That's all it needed. It's been in great shape ever since.
FIDO*98*
AG
Some people swear by FSO And some say it will begin to flake over time. I did about 4-5 runs with Crisco and then did a 2lb package of Bacon the first time I used it for food. If you're familiar with cooking on Cast Iron, it's roughly the same. Clean it warm, lightly oil it before you cover it, and you're good to go.

A product that has actually interested me is the Crisbee stick. Looking at their website it appears to be Crisco (or Lard) and an unknown percentage of beeswax. It's pretty expensive for the size so I've thought about find pure beeswax on Amazon and then making some homemade.

Also make sure your knobs are closed and open the propane bottle slowly when your first connect it.
Post removed:
by user
FIDO*98*
AG
Redfish caught on Monday made the flat top tonight

Miso Glazed Redfish with Teriyaki Vegetables and sticky rice. Veggies were cooked on the Stone as well, just put them in the Wok to keep warm

GeorgiAg
AG
That looks awesome. I love this griddle!

The Pilot
AG
How did you cook the sticky rice? Did you use the basket?
FIDO*98*
AG
Just cooked it on the stove top. 1.5c sushi rice, 2c water, tsp. Salt. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on lowest setting for 20mins. Take off heat and let sit another 10 mins.
The Pilot
AG
Ah gotcha. I guess I think of sticky rice as something else using glutinous (sweet) rice.
jcbaggie04
AG
Very interested in one of these....
So I saw that Walmart has the 28" 2 burner on sale for $148. The deal looks pretty good however I am wondering if I'll be missing out on the 36". Not for the extra space but the four burners. I read on blackstone website that the 28 has 2 h style burners vs 4 straight burners on the 36.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.
End Of Message
AG
Blackstone arriving sometime soon. Apparently they are having delivery issues because of warehouse relocation?
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
FIDO*98*
AG
jcbaggie04 said:

Not for the extra space but the four burners. I read on blackstone website that the 28 has 2 h style burners vs 4 straight burners on the 36.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

I'll usually cook on 2-3 burners so the space I think you'll be fine with. I do shove cooked food off to the side or stick a pan on top of the off side of the grill as a warmer. I prefer the additional heat control of the 36", but, I'm sure I would have figured out how to make the 28" work if that's what I had.

PFG
AG
Did your WFest booth and griddles survive the fire?
jcbaggie04
AG
I really appreciate it. Looks like the h burner set up will suffice, I like the 36 more but I mainly cook for my family of 4 and not much more than that so it may just be overkill. Thanks for posting the shots of the two as well!
FIDO*98*
AG
PFG said:

Did your WFest booth and griddles survive the fire?

All I know is that there a lot of Organizations puckered up pretty tightly right now. We'll worry about what survived the fire once we're certain we didn't start it
sanitariex
AG
Family of 4 and you think the 36" is overkill?! No way, the 36" is perfect for you. I have the 36" for a family of two and have had that thing filled up with stir fry for just us.
Vernada
AG
jcbaggie04 said:

I really appreciate it. Looks like the h burner set up will suffice, I like the 36 more but I mainly cook for my family of 4 and not much more than that so it may just be overkill. Thanks for posting the shots of the two as well!

I cook for four and am glad I have the 36".

I really wish I had a smaller griddle. /no one ever
jcbaggie04
AG
point taken! I will be going with the 4 burner, and I am excited about it. Thanks for the input everyone!
Larry S Ross
AG
I have the 28" and cook for 2 people 95% of the time. Works perfect w plenty of space. I've also loaded it up to cook breakfast for 20 people at tailgate. Works fine. You just have to plan accordingly. What your cooking, what order your cooking it in, aluminum pans to put Cooke stuff in while griddle is full cooking other food.
That being said if you have the room at home definitely go w the the 36. If not 28 works fine.
Good Day.
Sorrell Booke
Whats cooking on the flat top for Thanksgiving?
End Of Message
AG
Bentons bacon for BLTs last weekend. Holy smokes it was good and a great first run to kick up seasoning the grill.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Sorrell Booke said:

Whats cooking on the flat top for Thanksgiving?

I'm doing breakfast for the fam for thanksgiving on the flat top
Sazerac
AG
Natural gas conversion finally back in stock.
BSD
AG
The 36" Blackstone is on sale for $199 at Tractor Supply today.
FIDO*98*
AG
Had some homemade tortilla strips, beans, and ranchero sauce leftover from Migas yesterday so I made the kiddos fried egg topped Nacho Smashburgers for lunch.

03_Aggie
BSD said:

The 36" Blackstone is on sale for $199 at Tractor Supply today.

Missed this deal but was able to grab one this weekend for $180. Broke it in with some burgers last night.

So much easier to clean up than the range top.
RK
AG
made smash burgers for the first time on the blaze griddle yesterday. so easy. so good. i used 2 oz patties but probably need to move down to 1.5 oz to minimize overhang (on the buns i used, anyway).
Vernada
AG
doing smash burgers tonight on mine. So easy and so good.
aggietony2010
AG
Got one for Christmas (36 inch Blackstone... Was allowed to open it, season it, and cook a couple things last week so that it would be ready to cook a big Christmas breakfast).

These things are amazing. Did 16 strips of bacon, a bag of hash browns in the bacon fat, 16 sausage links, 10 pieces of Canadian bacon, 16 big pancakes (8 at a time) and then finished things off with a dozen scrambled eggs. Took about 30 minutes to do all the cooking.

The best part was the cleanup. Just had to scrape, rub, squirt a little water, rub and then add a thin layer of oil while still warm. 3-5 minutes tops. No pile of pots and pans inside. Just a couple spatulas and a missing bowl. It was a very merry Christmas.
ORAggieFan
Anyone know the difference in the two 36" black stone models on Amazon? I don't care much about the shelf additions like the cutting board, but if the grease catcher is improved it may be worth the extra money. Looking to buy soon.
aggietony2010
AG
I think they're all being made with the rear grease trap now. I think the only other difference is that one has a stainless frame.

Be sure to throw a bottle of flaxseed oil in your cart before you order it. I didn't have it, and it was difficult to find in a store.
ORAggieFan
Finally pulled the trigger and got a 36" Blackstone. Just did 2 lbs bacon to season it. Going to make the kids grilled cheese on it tonight. Tomorrow is smashed burgers while entertaining the guys.

This week my Weber SmokerFire will arrive. Two amazing additions to my outdoor cooking.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.