Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

131,197 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by agcrock2005
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Batch of awesome bacon corn tonight!
OasisMan
AG
Just got a 36"

Had Philly's tonight
Ogre09
AG
Did burgers Friday. No better way to cook a burger.

I have the 36", and would buy a smaller more portable one if I had to do it over. This sucker is heavy and hard to take places.
Sorrell Booke
What is bacon corn, and how do you cook it?
Ogre09
AG
Bacon + Corn ?

Maybe throw some onion in there?

Or maybe it's on the cob with a bacon wrap?
ORAggieFan
My daughter is 9 and we've been doing breakfast on ours every weekend. She's getting the hang of it pretty well and can do pancakes and eggs mostly on her own.
Vernada
AG
Sorrell Booke said:

Two regular bags of frozen sweet corn. About 1# of bacon.

Diced bacon and cook. Once it's just about done, add the frozen corn. Mix it all up and Cook it in the bacon grease until the corn is done. I usually add some liberal amounts of melted butter too. If you want it to look a little fancy you can sprinkle it with some paparika once you've got it in a serving dish.

You can add other things if you'd like. I usually cook some onion with the bacon. I've also added bell peppers.
skelly02
AG
I finally got a black stone 36". Been holding off for years due to lack of a good place to put it.

Planning on doing smash burgers this weekend. Stupid question: how are y'all doing the smashing? Do you have a burger press or just using the bottom of the spatula? If you are using a burger press, are you putting oil on it to prevent the top of the patty from sticking?
03_Aggie
I just did some with a press. Covered the bottom in foil and then a light coat of oil. Seemed to work fine and easy clean up.
skelly02
AG
Foil is a great idea. Thanks
WES2006AG
AG
Sorrell Booke said:

Not necessarily a flat top recipe but this is what I was thinking when he said bacon corn. I've made the below recipe and it turned out fantastic.

Vernada
AG
skelly02 said:

I finally got a black stone 36". Been holding off for years due to lack of a good place to put it.

Planning on doing smash burgers this weekend. Stupid question: how are y'all doing the smashing? Do you have a burger press or just using the bottom of the spatula? If you are using a burger press, are you putting oil on it to prevent the top of the patty from sticking?
Roll in ball
Place ball on griddle and mash lightly by hand (it will still be pretty much a ball)
After a bit flip it and use your spatula to smash (you might need your second spatula to get 100% release)

the little bit of cooked area will keep it from sticking
ORAggieFan
I have a huge spatula posted in this thread by someone else from Amazon. I've just used it to smash and had no issues with sticking.

Last time I did 2 oz patties, but I'm thinking 3 oz is ideal. Curious what others think.
Vernada
AG
3oz works best.
Tabasco
AG
ORAggieFan said:

I have a huge spatula posted in this thread by someone else from Amazon. I've just used it to smash and had no issues with sticking.

Last time I did 2 oz patties, but I'm thinking 3 oz is ideal. Curious what others think.

I got the same thing. It's perfect for smash burgers. I don't weight, just do golf ball size. Parchment paper on top, not foil. Nothing underneath
pdc093
I LOVE Chef John's YouTube channel.
And that looks FABULOUS.
fav13andac1)c
AG
pdc093 said:

And that looks FABULOUS.

He is one of the original catalysts behind my passion for cooking.
bam02
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

pdc093 said:

And that looks FABULOUS.

He is one of the original catalysts behind my passion for cooking.

Does he always have that annoying halting speaking cadence? Great recipe but brutal to listen to.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I could see how some wouldn't like the cadence, and yes that's normal.
OasisMan
AG
dont think i smashed mine enough last night
still good but will smash more next time
Tabasco
AG
OasisMan said:

dont think i smashed mine enough last night
still good but will smash more next time
I smash mine pretty thin. Maybe like the standard cardboard from an amazon box.

Smash,
flip (pretty fast, maybe not even a minute each side)
add cheese on half the patty,
cut in middle alone the cheese/no cheese seam,
fold and it's perfect size for small slider buns
Vernada
AG
The best buns I've found are the HEB hill country fare buns that are $0.88 a pack. They are the perfect size.

Tabasco
AG
We use King's Aloha Hawaiian buns. Love Hawaiian bread. I also really like that all the tops can be pealed off in one piece, which makes lightly toasting them very easy.
Vernada
AG
I've decided that there's not enough flavor return on toasting the buns.

After smashing my patties, I'll put the bun tops on the cooler right side of my griddle. If I've cooked bacon, I'll drag them around in some of the grease.

Once I flip the patties, added cheese, I'll move the tops on top of the cheese.

Then I'll move the bun bottoms onto the griddle (bottom side down).

Once the patty is done, the whole thing is picked up, placed on the bottom bun, and mashed down.

Edit to add: the bottoms already have mustard and pickles. The idea is for it to be ready to eat once it comes off the griddle. That way the cheese gets all good and mingled with everything.

I've also started using American 'cheese' slices because they melt into everything so well.
03_Aggie
Bacon, eggs and hash browns this morning.

Kids backed out on their hash brown so I had to improvise and take one for the team..

FancyKetchup14
AG
03_Aggie said:

Kids backed out on their hash brown so I had to improvise and take one for the team..

The breakfast version of the KFC double down
aggietony2010
AG
That sounds like toasting the buns to me.

Didn't see you do them bun side down. But toasting takes like 30s-1m on a griddle. I usually have a slightly cooler side of the griddle, will have a pile of onions swept all the way to the edge of that side, then on the "cooler" side, melt a little butter and throw the buns on right after flipping the burger..
Vernada
AG
Yeah, it really just warms them up. Maybe a bit of toasting depending on how long.

That's in lieu of buttering and using the toaster oven - that's where I didn't see return.
Tabasco
AG
I do my buns dry before I do burgers. More for texture for me.
aggietony2010
AG
My parents toast the buns without butter in the toaster oven. They're repulsively dry.
Texker
AG
I've thought about buying a Blackstone. Our baseball league had one and it was awesome.
ORAggieFan
Texker said:

I've thought about buying a Blackstone. Our baseball league had one and it was awesome.
Do it. I use mine so much. Totally worth it.
Sazerac
AG
Anyone keep theirs outside uncovered?

Mine is under an open pergola. I've been using the cover but it seems to hold in moisture and I always have some light rust and sometimes whT looks like mold or algae. I'm going to try leaving it fully uncovered. And just let the water run off the back. Worried about the burners though....

Any thoughts?
coastalAg
AG
I can't imagine it would do real well uncovered. I have the same issue, but it only rusts in one spot where the seasoning appears to be damaged. I am going to re-season mine and hope that helps.

I also thought about getting one of the hard covers over the soft. It would keep anything from resting on the surface and should have better ventilation.

Being in Houston, I am wondering if the humidity makes some level of surface rust unavoidable.
Ogre09
AG
I'm south of Houston and have to reseason mine a couple times a year. I leave mine uncovered in the garage. Covers trap too much moisture. I've thought about doing a rigid poly board cover cut to fit inside the side walls just to help keep the dust off.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.