Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

131,194 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by agcrock2005
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Post cook I just scrape off the big stuff and then oil it down.

Pre cook, I heat, scrape, wipe down with oil, and cook.

I never use water.
JYDog90
AG
FIDO*98* said:

A little pre-Wurstfest warm up at the Comal County Fair.

Fido, what do you season those pork chops with?
Formerly Willy Wonka
ValleyRatAg
AG
I've been cooking on a grill grate replacement griddle from Griddlemaster for the past 3 years. It's been great but with no way of draining grease it was a real pain to clean.

I just ordered the Camp Chef 600. Can't wait for it to come in.

Ag83
AG
That's what I have. I think you'll really enjoy it.
TopFlightReject
Stumbling upon this thread has got me in the mood to pull the trigger on a gas griddle. Only thing i'm running with right now is a Bull 4 burner NG grill built in my outdoor kitchen and i've been finding myself more and more just throwing a cast iron skillet on the gas grill when cooking steaks/burgers/bacon/etc.

I see alot of you guys with the Blackstones. What do you think of Pit Boss' gas griddles? They are running a special on their website right now where you get a bundle of the 36" "Deluxe" version gas griddle plus some accessories like a cover, bottles, scraper, and some spatulas.. which i have none of. Thinking about buying this bundle at $407 out the door after shipping. Whats the take on these? comparable to the Blackstones? Is the cooking top the same? I've seen where the Blackstones are a cold-rolled steel top but dont know what the Pit Boss is.
Sazerac
AG
the deluxe looks comparable / maybe better to me. only concern is
1. doens't look like it has a cover. if this is going to be in the elements you need a hard cover.
2. didn't see anything about NG conversion kit if you want to hook it up to a NG line

the cook surface looks like it is probably better than blackstone, and it's preseasoned which is nice.

the drain in the front seems like it would be better than the drain in the back my blackstone has, but Gen 1 blackstone had one in the front and the moved it...must have been for a good reason.

Max Power
AG
FYI 36" Blackstone on sale for $249.99 at TSC.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/blackstone-36-in-griddle-cooking-station
TopFlightReject
Couldn't wait any longer... pulled the trigger. This one came with a hard top cover. First up is Brats and thin sliced seasoned red potatoes for Oktoberfest. Tomorrow morning will be everything but the kitchen sink breakfast.

FIDO*98*
AG
It's basically just rubbed with seasoned salt and garlic powder and then covered in Kikkoman Teriyaki. They sit overnight in the marinade. The real magic comes from when they go into the tubs and sit for a while in the hot tub of juices. It just can't be duplicated at home unless you're feeding a hundred people or more. I usually take home a few quarts and freeze it so I can make them throughout the year.

If you're in NB, there are a couple of opportunities coming up where we'll be selling them as a fundraiser. The yard house is going to have an event and Krause's might let us set up on some Mondays in November.
ValleyRatAg
AG
So I finally received the Camp Chef griddle and have been using it for a week now. Last night I threw some shimp on it for shrimp tacos and it warped like hell. the back right and front left corner lifted 2" or so. After cooling it settled back down to level. What the hell? Is it junk now and will do this to me every time I use it? Any thoughts on how to fix it or is it junk?
Ag83
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

So I finally received the Camp Chef griddle and have been using it for a week now. Last night I threw some shimp on it for shrimp tacos and it warped like hell. the back right and front left corner lifted 2" or so. After cooling it settled back down to level. What the hell? Is it junk now and will do this to me every time I use it? Any thoughts on how to fix it or is it junk?
Yikes! Mine has never done that. How did you heat it up (i.e., which burners and how high of heat on them)? I usually only ever use my 2 left burners and heat it up with them on medium (or sometimes lower). In any case, contact Camp Chef immediately and ask them about it.
ValleyRatAg
AG
I had all four burners going on medium I guess I got it too hot. I'm going to try cooking on it again with all burners low and see what happens.
jrrhouston98
AG
It's junk. You shouldn't have been such a cheap *******.
Ag83
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

I had all four burners going on medium I guess I got it too hot. I'm going to try cooking on it again with all burners low and see what happens.
I would definitely contact CC. No way it should have done that.
Diggity
AG
36" 4 Burner Blackstone for TSC for $200

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/blackstone-36-in-griddle-cooking-station-1234204
MookieBlaylock
AG
Great deal!

The first pic shows the old model with front grease
But 2nd shows the rear grease hole

The rear grease is superior which is it?

Diggity
AG
set up is as God intended
chris2010
AG
They must have sold out quick. I can't find any stores that have any in stock, and it cost $100 to ship to your local Tractor Supply store. Kind of defeats the purpose of the sale if they charge that much for shipping/pickup.
Diggity
AG
Yeah, I think it only lasted a couple days
ValleyRatAg
AG
Ag83 said:

ValleyRatAg said:

I would definitely contact CC. No way it should have done that.
I contacted them they told me that I probably had it too hot and put too much too cold food on it. Said to keep cooking on it never taking much over low and it would level back out. Said if I was impatient to put two big boiling pots on it full of water and set to medium until both boiled then let it cool until the water water was air temp.

I did the boiling pot thing and it worked like a charm. Cooks great, it gets so hot I never take it past medium.
Diggity
AG
As an aside, I read a lot of reviews on Amazon about the 36" hard cover by Blackstone being flimsy or damaged. I may have just been lucky, but I'm really impressed with the thing. Looks awesome and works well.
Larry S Ross
AG
I have 12 people here for breakfast. Cooked breakfast links, bacon, sausage patties, hash browns, 18 eggs scrambled. 28" blackstone. Can't beat a griddle.
I had it cleaned up and ready for next meal before they finished filling their plates inside.
Good Day.
aTm2004
AG
Did I mention I have the best in-laws? About 5 years ago, they bought me a Kamado Joe for Christmas, and this year...

Just put it together and going to season it today, and then plan to cook my first thing on it on Friday. Can't wait to try it out.
bam02
AG
Nice! I have that same one. Bought it to be portable. It's not exactly super convenient to move but I have taken it on weekend trips. I would love more cooking area but it's been plenty for my wife and I and two kids. Have fun!
Garrelli 5000
AG
I got an Evo late summer. First pic is one day making my favorite sandwich (fried bologna) and my wife's (grilled cheese).

Stupid use of this griddle, but like Cartman, I eat what I want!

Second pics are last night's 1st pizza run. I used Jimmy's Food Store crust. I forgot to snap a pic of the hole pie, but it was absolutely fantastic.

Take the trash out staff.
Philip J Fry
AG
Just got my Masterbuilt Gravity Series 800 up and running tonight. Can't say how excited I am to use the griddle feature in the morning!
4xAgs
AG
Griddle, grill or both?

Building a new home with outdoor kitchen. I'm convinced on the griddle but not sure whether to also do a conventional gas grill? Typically cook wings, steamed vegetables, occasional steak (I know - sacrilege) on the grill.

Will I regret not putting in a grill?
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Joined the club and had a Le Griddle installed.
Tabasco
AG
can you speak more to the process of pizza on the griddle? I would think it would overcook the bottom, and undercook the top, unless you used a dome or something. Can you would us through it?
Tabasco
AG
4xAgs said:

Griddle, grill or both?

Building a new home with outdoor kitchen. I'm convinced on the griddle but not sure whether to also do a conventional gas grill? Typically cook wings, steamed vegetables, occasional steak (I know - sacrilege) on the grill.

Will I regret not putting in a grill?
Both. I have gas grill and teppanyaki in outdoor kitchen. I love the teppan, but probably do 70-80% of stuff on the grill.
Garrelli 5000
AG
The Evo has a heavy lid that covers the top.

You cook topping side of crust briefly, flip, add toppings quickly, put lid on.

I also tossed some cornmeal on the griddle top. The stone you see in my pic was just used to slide the pizza on from the grill then as my cutting board.

Just remembered I hit the top briefly with a propane torch right before cuttting.

Here's a pic of one with the lid on.

Take the trash out staff.
Tabasco
AG
thanks, that makes sense.
Tabasco
AG

anyone know where I can find a teppan dome like the one above?
m.stat
AG
Several stainless steel ones on Amazon. Picked one up a while back for about $20. Not sure about copper.
JYDog90
AG
Diggity said:

As an aside, I read a lot of reviews on Amazon about the 36" hard cover by Blackstone being flimsy or damaged. I may have just been lucky, but I'm really impressed with the thing. Looks awesome and works well.

My 36" hard cover is flimsy and had a corner damaged when I got it. I took a rag and a pair of channel locks to it and it works fine.

Used it tonight, cooking bacon, onions, and pork chops.
Formerly Willy Wonka

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.