Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

379,721 Views | 3348 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by bmc13
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This Saturday I'm finally relocating my brewing hardware to my house. It's been in storage for the past 10 months. Few weeks away from brewing again. Finally!!!!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome
chilidogfood
AG
I'd be interested to hear how this turns out. You might have to throw in some fresh yeast with your priming sugar if you bottle carb. Not sure if your old soldiers survived.
chilidogfood
AG
What do you guys use for a ph meter? I'm about to ditch my strips and go digital.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Brewing my House IPA Ver. 2 tomorrow! I wanted more head retention and lacing so I substituted some white wheat malt for the 2 row. I also wanted more hop flavor so I upped the gravity points to make up for the additional IBUs the new late addition hops supplied.

3 gallon BIAB

3.5 lbs 2 row 43.6%
3.25 lbs white wheat malt 40.5%
13 oz torrified wheat 10.1%
5 oz crystal 40 3.9%
2.6 oz acidulated malt 2%

Mash at 150, OG would ideally be 1.070 to 1.073

.5 oz magnum 60 min
.25 oz each simcoe/mosaic 15 min
.25 oz each simcoe/mosaic 5 min
.25 oz each simcoe/mosaic flameout and steep 15 min
.75 oz each simcoe/mosaic dry hop 5 days

US05

BU:GU would be ~.9
danieljustin06
AG
Anyone brew over the long weekend?
fav13andac1)c
AG
I didn't get to, but I bottled an IPA with help from the wife. Brewing my first hefeweizen after jury duty Thursday, though. Exciting week for beer. What about yourself?
danieljustin06
AG
Haven't brewed in a long time. I really need to, but I keep getting busy.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Anybody have any experience bottling hefeweizens in 9 days? Is that too soon? It's a 3 gallon batch and I pitched a whole pack of Wyeast Weihenstephan.
farmer2010
AG
Has it reached final gravity and maintained it for several days? If so, you should be good to go.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I'll check it over the next few days and see. Thanks for the advice.
fav13andac1)c
AG

I sure hope it doesn't get much lower than that! Slight sulfur smell, but I'm expecting the yeast to clean that up. Taste is very hefe like.
farmer2010
AG
Sulfur aroma is pretty common with hefe yeast fermentation. I've never had it carry through to the finished beer.
Kyle98
AG
Brewing up another batch of the saison. Added a little bit of wheat malt (5%) to see if that improves head retention. That's been the only real negative feedback on it I've gotten in the competitions I've entered it into so far.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Put the wort in the fermenter 12 days ago, and bottled 3 days ago. This Weihenstephan yeast has performed like a champ!

farmer2010
AG
That's a damn fine looking hefe!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Thank you!
chilidogfood
AG
Just brewed a Pliny the Elder clone on Saturday. I'm headed to California this week, so I'm going to try to find a real world example to bring home for tasting time.

15lb - 2 Row
1lb - Cara Pils
8oz - Crystal 20L
1lb 8oz - Caramel 60L
1lb 8oz - Caramel Crystal 40L
1lb 2oz - Sugar
4oz - Columbus (First Wort) (90min)
1oz - Simcoe (60min)
1oz - Columbus (45min)
1oz - Simcoe (30min)
3oz - Simcoe (Flameout)
1oz - Centennial (Flameout)
1oz - Centennial (Primary) (4 days)
1oz - Simcoe (Primary) (4 days)
1oz - Columbus (Primary) (4 days)
0.7oz - Centennial (Primary) (10 days)
0.7oz - Simcoe (Primary) (10 days)
0.7oz - Columbus (Primary) (10 days)
0.3oz - Centennial (Keg) (2 days)
0.3oz - Simcoe (Keg) (2 days)
0.3oz Columbus (Keg) (2 days)

Measured OG: 1090

I'm not really sure what to expect with this beer other than it was pretty f*ckn expensive and that it will most likely melt my face off.

Thoughts?

AlaskanAg99
AG
That's a lot of crystal malt. Where did you get the recipe?

Here's a version Vinnie gave the AHA:

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/russian-river-pliny-the-elder-clone/
farmer2010
AG
I was thinking the same thing regarding the crystal malt.
And just looking at that dry hop schedule makes my head hurt.
Kyle98
AG
My slightly tweaked version of Vinny's clone recipe is the first post on this thread. That beer was delicious. I subbed Chinook for Columbus.
farmer2010
AG
On the subject of double IPA's, here's what I brewed this weekend:

OG: 1.080
Calculated IBU: 71
Target into fermenter: 6 gallons

7 lbs 2-Row
7 lbs Munich
4 lbs Pilsner
0.5 lbs Carapils
0.5 lbs Crystal 40

0.5 oz CTZ - 75 min
1 oz Opal - 75 min
2 oz CTZ - 10 min hop stand
2 oz Opal - 10 min hop stand
2.5 oz Delta - 10 min hop stand
2 oz Opal - 4 day dry hop

WLP090 San Diego Super @ 64 degrees

It's a German-American IPA. I have no idea if it'll be any good.
AlaskanAg99
AG
A good rule of thumb for IPA is to have GU:IBU and to have non-base malt be <5% of total grist.
farmer2010
AG
Has anyone here tried doing a sour mash or kettle souring? I'm thinking about doing a sour mash berliner weisse soon, and I think I have a good understanding of the process, but I'm open to any tips. Here's my planned process:

3 lbs Pilsner
3 lbs White Wheat
1 lb Carapils

-Mash as normal, around 1.5 qt/lb, ~150 degrees, 5.3-5.4 pH
-After starch conversion is complete, add enough lactic acid to drop the pH below 4.3 (this should help inhibit unwanted bacteria)
-After mash has cooled below 120 degrees, stir in a couple handfulls of grain.
-Cover grain bed with sanitized plastic wrap, and flush the oxygen out of the mash tun with CO2.
-Leave it in the garage for 2-3 days, adding boiling water if necessary to keep temp above 100.
-Sparge and boil as normal once desired tartness is achieved.
fav13andac1)c
AG
quote:
My slightly tweaked version of Vinny's clone recipe is the first post on this thread. That beer was delicious. I subbed Chinook for Columbus.

Do you remember if that was full volume boil or a partial?
AlaskanAg99
AG
I've done a sour mash a few times. I did not add lactic acid because that is what lactobacillus is supposed to do. If you add boiling water near the end you're going to have a pretty thin mash and it's going to take more and more boiling water to keep it hot.

I used an immersion chiller and stirring to get it down to 120, be very gentle with the stirring. Add 1/2 lbs of raw grain and let it go. I didn't have many off aromas, just clean lactic. I used 2 infusions of hotnwater to adjust temp, then I started pulling volume off the ball vakve, heat it up, but not boiling, and then add it back. This is a very intensive way to brew.

Then finish your beer off after you hit the desired pH, add hops to a short boil and finish with a clean neutral yeast. I used WLP001.

It is kind of fun to brew this way, but it was a 3 day process and you need to adjust temps every 12 hours. I did.bottle some, and a few were left warm for a few days and turned to rotgut. Remember there is a lot of other stuff going on still.

I won't make a Berliner this way again, next time I will do a kettle sour, much easier and faster with less effort. I made about 20 gallons with sour mash and fruited 15 of it. Very tasty stuff.
farmer2010
AG
I'm dosing up-front with lactic acid as a precaution. I want to minimize the chance of nasties growing in there. I'm hoping my Texas garage will minimize the need for top-off water.

What caused your bottled beer to turn to rotgut? Shouldn't yeast be the only living thing in the finished beer?
Kyle98
AG
quote:
quote:

Do you remember if that was full volume boil or a partial?

Full volume boil.
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
I'm dosing up-front with lactic acid as a precaution. I want to minimize the chance of nasties growing in there. I'm hoping my Texas garage will minimize the need for top-off water.

What caused your bottled beer to turn to rotgut? Shouldn't yeast be the only living thing in the finished beer?

Sour mash is less controllable, and I did mine in August in the summer heat. Check the temps every 12 hours, if it gets below 110, time to heat it up. No idea why they became so gross, the heat and existing compounds just didn't work well together. Which is why I will only kettle sour from here out. Try and see what happens, it's just a much more intensive beer to make at 3.5% than I would have thought.
farmer2010
AG
Thanks for the advice! I decided to follow the sour wort process after looking into it, and now have 5 gallons dosed with a wild lacto starter that I grew from some base malt. Here's the process I followed:

Same grain bill as above

-Mash as normal, around 1.5 qt/lb, 150 degrees, 5.3-5.4 pH
-Mash out around 165 degrees, add enough lactic acid to drop the pH below 4.5, and chill to 125 degrees.
-Pitch wild lacto starter into kettle and rack wort into preheated 5 gallon carboy.
-Add enough top off water to eliminate headspace and seal carboy with an airlock.
-Place carboy into 10 gallon water cooler and fill the space surrounding the carboy with hot water (my tap water is perfect for this, 125-130 degrees).
-Place cooler in garage and use plastic wrap, sleeping bags, blankets, and bungee cords to cover the top of the cooler since carboy is too tall to make use of the lid.
-Leave it in the garage for 2-3 days, adjusting the water if necessary to keep temp above 100.
-Transfer to kettle and boil as normal once desired tartness is achieved.

My starter tasted sort of like sauerkraut juice. I used this guide:
https://www.fivebladesbrewing.com/lactobacillus-starter-guide/
Kyle98
AG
Brewing up an IPA today. Chinook, Simcoe, and Amarillo. Can't wait for it to be ready to taste!
farmer2010
AG
I just finished racking my berliner weisse from the primary onto 10 lbs of peaches. The sour wort method above is a winner. The wild lacto starter took off damn near immediately, and I only ended up souring the batch for a little over 24 hours. I'm glad I didn't let it go longer since the sample I just tasted (post-ferment) is just about perfect, not quite mouth-puckering and very clean, almost like unsweetened lemonade. Out of curiosity, I tried a sample with a little bit of peach schnapps, and now I want to brew another one right away because I could easily see it becoming my summer drink of choice. Can't wait to get this one into a keg!
Coy94
AG
Doing a pale ale recipe with all Galaxy hops today. This is a recipe from Gordon Stong's book. The hops sounded so good I knew I had to try it.

Coy94
AlaskanAg99
AG
Good deal on the berliner. With such a low abv, you may want to considea making an imperial berliner, then rack it back to the kettle, water back it, boil it, add hops then cool and fish the fermentation. 2 batches that way. I need to remake it later this summer and I'm thinking of a 15 gallon batch, 3 kegs, 2 fruited and one neat. They hold up to time really well too.
farmer2010
AG
quote:
imperial berliner
Damn, I wish I would've thought of this. Next time, for sure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.