Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

377,363 Views | 3347 Replies | Last: 13 hrs ago by hurricanejake02
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've lost some beer before from a bad post seal on my keg, but never a full batch. Ouch.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I wasn't super happy with the beer. I found it to be very grassy. Didn't want it on the floor either because cleanup is a PITA.

Next beer is in the FV, hoping to fix and double check all my fittings and clamps this week.
62strat
AG
Never lost any beer from a leak, but damn it if I've drained a few CO2 bottles in my day.

I have flow control intertaps, and I keep them closed at all times until I pour, so my risk of losing beer is mostly eliminated, aside of bad flow control oring.
Ornlu
AG
I've had a bad seal on my faucet for about a week now. About 1-drip per 2 or 3 minutes. It's enough that my drip tray is staying half full, but not overflowing. I think I've lost a quart in a week.

Time for a new faucet.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Ornlu said:

I've had a bad seal on my faucet for about a week now. About 1-drip per 2 or 3 minutes. It's enough that my drip tray is staying half full, but not overflowing. I think I've lost a quart in a week.

Time for a new faucet.

You could take the faucet apart and try to replace the rubber gasket inside. Unless it's a simple rear sealing faucet that's $15 to replace.

I think we bought a new faucet twice in the year and change that I was at Tupps. And it was only because of the cheap chrome flaking off so bad.
lne2011
AG
Anyone done a Pilsner? Starting my research now, but I'm curious what yeast strain you like best and why. Thanks for any input!
62strat
AG
Ornlu said:

Time for a new faucet.
definitely just check the oring.

I buy bags of extras of all sizes at grainier. Faucets, kegs, connections, etc.
A bag of 10 or more is usually just a few bucks, and there is a local store near me so no shipping.
AlaskanAg99
AG
lne2011 said:

Anyone done a Pilsner? Starting my research now, but I'm curious what yeast strain you like best and why. Thanks for any input!

Pretty much like any other beer, you just need more yeast and the ability to keep that temp in check.

I personally love Czech Pils. I've gone several American Lagers just to brew with flaked maize.

If going for a European/Continental pils, make sure you're sourcing the correct ingredients and hops.

I'm brewing a Helles on the 15th.
Ornlu
AG
It's a cheap $15 faucet. I want to upgrade to a front sealing faucet.

The o-ring that's bad is the one that's glued into the ball (the last one beer touches before it leaves the faucet. I can take the old one out, but would have to glue a new one. I'd rather just upgrade.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Makes sense. What brand are you thinking?
62strat
AG
Def. upgrade from the $15 faucets. Those are terrible and quite unsanitary.

You spend a lot of time and effort into making this beer, get intertaps or perlicks and be done with it.

I went with intertap flow controls. A few vendors online have them for rock bottom, like these guys

https://www.ritebrew.com/SearchResults.asp?Extensive_Search=Y&Search=intertap&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0

You can actually get a intertap for $18 from them.. but it's chrome plated. Spend the extra $10 for SS I think.

These interchangeable tips have come in handy. I use the ball lock tips to clean my lines, I can hook all 6 of my taps up using those and do a single clean cycle.

Chipotlemonger
AG
If you're going through the effort to keg, get good quality faucets for sure.
fav13andac1)c
AG
I went with the SS Intertaps as well. Built like tanks.
Ornlu
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Yea I'd just give the container a whirl and re-cap it with the blowoff.
I did this & checked the grav a week ago - 1.012. It picked up a little, and then finally crashed completely about 3 days ago. Grav today is at 0.997. I've never had slow steady fermentation for 11+ days, but there's a first time for everything.

It tastes like blueberry wine, but smells hoppy. Really neat - but I'm not sure how much I'm gonna love it once the novelty wears off.
Ornlu
AG
How do you guys store your DME (dried malt extract) for making starters? I try to keep a few pounds of it on hand, but it absorbs humidity so readily that it hardens in any container I put it in.

The most success I've had is inside of double ziploc bags, and keep those in the freezer. Still, when I used the last 1/2 cup last night, the last bit was syrup.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Vac seal it. HAre dealing with the stuff but I keep a few pounds on hand for starters and gravity adjustments.

Brewing 18gallons of Helles Sunday with a friend.
Ornlu
AG
What about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00UMXUT92/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I don't have a vac sealer, but one time I borrowed my friends. It had real trouble sealing because the powder gets in the way.
62strat
AG
I just put it in a container similar to a cool whip container. Holds fine for me.
AlaskanAg99
AG
My Helles Lager at 12 gallons/1.046 OG is fermenting away at 54F using Imperial Harvest yeast. Range on that is 50-58F. First time using it.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Do you have a separate setup for the cold ferm and lagering?
I have brewed a lager beer before, an amber lager, and did it in the same setup as my ales. Just adjusting the temp control is all I needed for ferm and lagering. But then I could not brew an ale if I wanted to at the same time, because of the fermentation fridge needing different temperatures.
62strat
AG
It can come out of fermentation device and just keg it and put it in keezer to continue to lager.

That's what I do to free up my conical for another brew. I brew my oktoberfest in March and it's kegged and in the keezer by april, but don't tap it until Julyish.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a good point. Unfortunately my kegerator only fits 2 kegs, and I like to normally have 2 rotating.
62strat
AG
Ahh.. most of those little kegerators can hold 3 or 4 cornys I thought?

I have room for 2 more kegs than I have faucets, just for this. Nice to have some room for storing.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Do you have a separate setup for the cold ferm and lagering?
I have brewed a lager beer before, an amber lager, and did it in the same setup as my ales. Just adjusting the temp control is all I needed for ferm and lagering. But then I could not brew an ale if I wanted to at the same time, because of the fermentation fridge needing different temperatures.

I have a 50gallon cold water reservoir in my cold room at 40F. It has 2 aquarium pumps,.one for each conical. I can do both at ale temps year round, and lagers in the winter in the low 50's, but I can't get colder. After the D rest I push to a 10 gallon "Brite" tank and into the cold room to carb and carb at 40F.

Then I'll push to serving kegs. I do this for all my 10 gallon batches.

Still debating a glycol setup, depends on how this winter's lagers go. And it's a ****ty warm winter in Houston
AlaskanAg99
AG
I should also state I'm doing the warm lager ferment method. Which works because that's also all I'm able to do. So testing this against a friend who took 5.5g of the same batch and is fermenting in the 40's. Unfortunately it's a different yeast strain but we will be comparing notes in a month.

Next up is an Adambier from harvested scottish ale yeast.

Then a Czech Pils, quite possibly from a repitch of this Harvest yeast.

Then a west coast IPA.
Ornlu
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Oooohh, I'm listening. Tell me more.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Ornlu said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Oooohh, I'm listening. Tell me more.
I've been working on this one for awhile. The inspiration came from Hair of the Dog Adam (Cherry and Wood). I started doing research into this and there's not a lot of information out there. I think the BJCP dropped it from their guidelines prior to '08 and it's not even in the Historical cat.

I started with this recipe,which goes back further than 2016:
https://chefs-table.homebrewchef.com/homebrew-recipes/hair-dog-adam-bier-recipe/

This was created with Alan Sprints help.

Mad Fermentologist covered this as well:

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2009/05/adambier-hotd-adam-clone.html

The Maltose Falcons had style guidelines for their own competition, but their website seems to be down.

From all this I've made mine own. Per the history of the beer it is big and malty, high ABV but most importantly it needs to be aged a year. Ideally in barrels, from which it would pick up a slight sour note. Peat smoke malt may or may not be appropriate but it's really unknown.

Personally I don't like peat malt, so I've gone with the newer cherry smoked malt. And holy crap, it's good..

My version is 10%, scotch ale yeast (from a previous batch of a lower ABV beer, huge pitch), cherry smoked malt, 3hr boil. Age 1 year. Pale/Munich/Crisp 45L/Melanodin/chocolate/cherry smoked malts.

1.111 OG, efficiency drops like a rock, but collecting enough wort for a 3hr boil really helps offset that. I max my 26 gallon MT out on this beer. 53lbs of grain for a 12 gallon batch.
lne2011
AG
Nice, looks tasty! The owner of Shire Distilling is selling Oak Staves from their barrels. Here's his ad from Facebook:

"Fellow Homebrewers

We have some "Toasted French Oak Staves that have been sitting several months in our Bourbon Whiskey. We only have six of them as we used them in a small batch, so first come first served $10 each no reserves or holds. We also have about 11 of our Char 3 American Oak staves left as well still soaking in our bourbon also $10 each

If you are interested let me know and we will make arrangements to meet you at Shire Distilling Co. or in Katy area
Cheers"

He posted it a week ago, not sure how many he has left. Maybe they would be good to age on?
AlaskanAg99
AG
I should grab some french oak spirals.

I can post my recipe if requested. It's a huge beer. I try to make it once a year.

Very few breweries make it. The Saint Arnold version was so bad, sweet, out of balance. The smoke malt is only 2%.
62strat
AG
I brewed a Vienna Lager this past weekend. First time for that style, and I plan to serve it at our neighborhood Cinco de Mayo party.

Simple recipe; 16lbs of vienna, 1 lb of Crystal 60 and 2 lbs of caramunich 50, 3 oz of hallertauer hops at 60 min. Fermentis SafLager S-23.

Fermenting away now at 55 degrees.

It was my first brew day since I installed hot water hose spigot in my garage (already had cold).. Man what a difference that made. Cleaned a couple kegs during that mash, that was a breeze. Cleaning up as I go, that was a breeze. And the main thing, I started with 100 degree water for HLT and tun. Normally my ground water in early march would be low to mid 40s, so that shaved off easily an hour just heating those up to target temps.
chilidogfood
AG
What's everyone brewing for the apocalypse?

I'm going to reload my sour pipeline and probably do a couple neipas.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I may throw together a batch on Sunday, Belgian IPA.
bmc13
AG
need to do an IPA this week for sure
lne2011
AG
Nice, what yeast are you gonna use? Planning to do a Belgian IPA in the near future. Thinking about using Wyeast 3522 Belgian Ardennes Yeast.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I believe S-33 is what it calls for and what I have.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.