Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

377,307 Views | 3347 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by hurricanejake02
AlaskanAg99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
imperial berliner
Damn, I wish I would've thought of this. Next time, for sure.

I ended up with being given 8 gallons of an IPA wort one year from a pro brewery. I had fermenter full, so I just pitched a vial of WL lactose in it and let it go a week. Then fished it off on a kolsche yeast cake. Whole batch cost me $8 and was one of the better things that I've ever made. 7% ABV.
khkman22
AG
Due to moving, I haven't brewed in over two years. I stored all of my equipment in the inside unit of a one story storage unit. Do you think there is any reason to need to buy new plastic fermenting buckets, bottling buckets and carboys? I was thinking at a minimum I would order a new siphon and some tubing since those are cheap.

I probably won't brew again until October to avoid the heat. My equipment is now stored in my closet.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Depends on what you put into the buckets while storing them. Chances are everything is fine, but I'd probably trash all tubing.
AggieOO
just sampled my chocolate mint cream stout...fantastic. having a christmas in july party this weekend.

the christmas ale is good too, but pretty standard.

just dialed down the CO2 a bit to target the styles.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Anybody entering Labor of Love this year? I'm entering my IPA. First competition for me!
AlaskanAg99
AG
I last brewed Aug 22nd. Then we bought a house and we've been working on it since. Projects have finally calmed down and today I'm finally brewing again.

American Golden Ale based loosely on New Belgium's Hoptober. I've emailed back and forth with the brewery about it to get it pretty close.

Now I just need to remember *how* to brew!
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Anybody entering Labor of Love this year? I'm entering my IPA. First competition for me!

Awesome, good luck!
dave99ag
AG
quote:
I last brewed Aug 22nd. Then we bought a house and we've been working on it since. Projects have finally calmed down and today I'm finally brewing again.

Now I just need to remember *how* to brew!

Been about that long for me too. A newborn and starting a business apparently kill brewing days. One day I'll get a free weekend.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Thanks! Looking forward to getting some good feedback.

Is New Main going to be out there?
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Thanks! Looking forward to getting some good feedback.

Is New Main going to be out there?
I wasn't sure if I was going to enter anything or not, but last night I decided to go ahead and enter. I'm entering my saison (took gold last year) and quad for sure, and maybe one more. The Belgian Rye IPA has lost some of its flavor, it seems like, sitting in the keg since May. It's also lost carbonation. I don't think there's a leak, but I'm going to check tonight, and bump the CO2 pressure back up. If it carbs back up and still tastes good, I'll enter it. If not, I'm kegging an IPA this week, and if I can get it carbed up and bottled in time, I'll enter it.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I had an 11 hour brewday. A float switch was somehow damaged and thus the burner on the HLT wouldn't engage. Spoke with more beer and figured a way to trick it, but that set me back 3 hours. I had a ready milled my grain so waiting a week wasn't an option. Hit my numbers and it's fermenting away nicely now but man, I was rusty. Brewing an APA this weekend. I have a ton of 2014 hops I need to plow through.
AggieOO
had a Christmas in July party over the weekend and served up the Chocolate Mint Cream Stout and a pretty standard Christmas ale. Both got rave reviews, but people were blown away by the mint stout. I used a lefthand milk stout clone as the base and then added chocolate and mint.

we also did a side-by-side with Sin Mint, but there was no clear winner. Mine had less mint taste, but was "lighter." People liked both for different reasons, even thoug they were somewhat similar.
Scriffer
AG
So those both sound amazing.
Kyle98
AG
quote:
had a Christmas in July party over the weekend and served up the Chocolate Mint Cream Stout and a pretty standard Christmas ale. Both got rave reviews, but people were blown away by the mint stout. I used a lefthand milk stout clone as the base and then added chocolate and mint.

we also did a side-by-side with Sin Mint, but there was no clear winner. Mine had less mint taste, but was "lighter." People liked both for different reasons, even thoug they were somewhat similar.
Awesome! I don't really care for Sin Mint, it's a bit too minty for me, so I might have preferred yours!

I've got my 2.5 weeks of annual training coming up for the Guard next month, so I'm thinking about brewing a lager just for fun right before I leave, and let it ferment in the chest freezer while I'm gone, then when I get home, bump up the temp for a d-rest before kegging and lagering. Maybe a Marzen/Oktoberfest.

And for anyone in the Arlington or Mid-Cities area (or anyone from any area who doesn't mind driving to Arlington), we're doing a tasting for New Main at JR Bentley's on Friday night, starting at 7:00. I'm bringing the saison, and David is bringing the porter and pale ale. I think we have the recipes pretty well ironed out on these three now, pending any changes we have to make when scaling up. Would love for you guys who can to come out and give us some feedback!
AlaskanAg99
AG
1st beers are wrapping up primary, brewing sat, an APA/lite IPA. 95% 2 row, little C40L, little carapils. Lots of hops, shooting for 5.5%abv. Setting up tonight and I hope for a 6hr brewday tomorrow.
IronRed13
AG
First time to discover this thread. Gonna save for future reading.

Been homebrewing with my boss and a few other coworkers for a few months now. Just finishing carbonating our Three Aggied Ale clone of Bell's Two Hearted. Ready to enjoy a side by side with the real thing this weekend.

We've been discussing our next recipe and were considering brewing an IRS now, ready for winter. Were considering an Abyss or Stone IRS clone, really leaning toward Abyss to go with our 2010-2015 + Cognac flight later this year.

If its already been posted, im sure I'll find it in my read through, but anyone have experience/tips brewing on the big beers? Any tried an Abyss clone? We've found this recipe, thoughts?

quote:
Recipe type: All grain
Batch size: 5 U.S. gallons
Original gravity: 1.100
Final gravity: 1.018
Boil time: 90 minutes
Fermentation temp: 65 F
Yeast type: English Ale

13 lbs - 2-Row Base (69.3%)
1 lbs - Crystal 60L (5.3%)
0.5 lbs - Crystal 120L (2.7%)
1 lbs - Wheat Malt (5.3%)
0.75 lbs - Roasted Barley (4%)
0.5 lbs - Black Patent (2.7%)
1.5 lbs Victory Malt (8%)
0.5 lbs Molasses (2.7%) In Boil

Boil Time - 90min

1oz Millennium (13%AA)@ 60min
1oz Chinook (11.8%AA) @ 45min
0.5oz Millenium @ 30min
0.5oz Chinook @ 15min
0.25oz Licorice Root @ 10min
(Approx. 67 IBU's calculated)

Fermentation @ 65F with WLP007
AlaskanAg99
AG
Just under 70% fermentables. Are you using software to figure out final ABV and attenuation? That's a massive massive beer and thus it will be sweet in the end. So a few tips, use a Lot of yeast. Per Mr malty you'd need 3.5 packages of yeast. Or 2 packages into a 2.5L starter.

Are you using or making starters?
Are you hitting it with pure O2?
My advice is, use a starter to get your yeast going and make sure you pitch enough viable yeast. Get a pure O2 setup because it will help you to dose it when you pitch the yeast, and dose it again the next day. Adding O2 at this stage will not hurt your beer. And add yeast nutrients at the 15m mark of your boil. You gotta do everything you can to help the yeast chew through this and dry it out.

Lastly, I'd have dry champagne yeast on hand if it stalls. Rehydrate it and pitch it near the end.
AggieOO
quote:
quote:

Awesome! I don't really care for Sin Mint, it's a bit too minty for me, so I might have preferred yours!

I've got my 2.5 weeks of annual training coming up for the Guard next month, so I'm thinking about brewing a lager just for fun right before I leave, and let it ferment in the chest freezer while I'm gone, then when I get home, bump up the temp for a d-rest before kegging and lagering. Maybe a Marzen/Oktoberfest.

i'm going to do a couple batches of oktoberfest in the next couple weeks. I need to get those lagering.
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
Just under 70% fermentables. Are you using software to figure out final ABV and attenuation? That's a massive massive beer and thus it will be sweet in the end. So a few tips, use a Lot of yeast. Per Mr malty you'd need 3.5 packages of yeast. Or 2 packages into a 2.5L starter.

Are you using or making starters?
Are you hitting it with pure O2?
My advice is, use a starter to get your yeast going and make sure you pitch enough viable yeast. Get a pure O2 setup because it will help you to dose it when you pitch the yeast, and dose it again the next day. Adding O2 at this stage will not hurt your beer. And add yeast nutrients at the 15m mark of your boil. You gotta do everything you can to help the yeast chew through this and dry it out.

Lastly, I'd have dry champagne yeast on hand if it stalls. Rehydrate it and pitch it near the end.

Another option is to use the same yeast, but make a 3.5% bitter. Low hopping, then pitch your Abyss wort right onto it. Plenty of yeast, but use a blowoff tube cuz it'll get messy.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Wrapped up my brew day yesterday. Repair parts arrived and instead of 11.5 hours like last week, a very smooth 6hr brewday. Next week I may start at 7am vs 8am, just so I'm done by 1. All volumes and number hit. Pretty stoked. Hoppy Golden Ale and NZ & AUS APA currently fermenting, now need to decide what's next.
farmer2010
AG
I knocked out a schwarzbier in 4 hours over the weekend. Mashed in at 9am, no sparge MIAB, flameout at 11:30, pitched yeast around 12:30, and had everything clean by 1pm. Beat my previous record by close to an hour, mostly due to having plenty of ice to prechill the tap water with - you can never have too much ice on a brew day.

Planning on brewing a doppelbock next weekend to pitch onto the yeast cake.
RustyBoltz
AG
2016 MH Riverside Shootout Results cam out today. Our Plum Crazy Rye (Rosemary Plum Roggenbier) placed in the top 10 as well as did New Main's Pineapple Imperial Stout. Congrats y'al! Hope to see y'all out there next year!

quote:
During the first round we narrowed the field to a top 10. Our top 10 teams in no particular order were:

Brewvidians - Rosemary, Plum Roggenbier
Second Empire - Chocolate Hazelnut Porter
719 Brewing Co - Lemon/Lime Saison
Menace II Sobriety - Hoppy Rye Wine
Ancient Goat Hunters - Tart Cherry Wheat Wine
The Other Baldwin Brothers - Cocoa Puff Porter
The Snozwangers - Golden Strong ale w/ Mango Gummy Bears
BGM - Imperial Breakfast Blond w/ Maple Syrup & Coffee
New Main Brewing - Pineapple Imperial Stout
Hollus Brewing - Strawberry Rhubarb Saison

Round two narrowed it down to the top 3. And here they are

Third Place: The Snozwangers

Second Place: The Other Baldwin Brothers

First Place: Ancient Goat Hunters

Kyle98
AG
Awesome, congrats!
AggieOO
quote:
you can never have too much ice on a brew day.
glad i don't deal with that. No Chill brewing is so much easier. or in my case, i'd call it "Little Chill." just have to get the wort under 140 degrees.
AlaskanAg99
AG
What's your process?
Kyle98
AG
I'm going to be gone August 10-28th for National Guard training, and my fermenter is empty at the moment, so I think I'm going to brew up an Oktoberfest this weekend and let it sit while I'm gone.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Do you have a recipe in mind?
Kyle98
AG
7.5lb Pils
7.5lbs Light Munich
1lb Dark Munich
1/2lb CaraMunich II

1oz Hallertau @ 60
1/2oz Tradition @ 15
1oz Saaz @ 5

WLP820 if LHBS has it

That's what I threw together in a couple of minutes.
WorkBoots09
AG
Just a heads up, Midwest is selling a bundle of 4 siphonless plastic big mouth bubblers for $100. With standard shipping it added up to about $113. https://www.midwestsupplies.com/pages/promos/big-mouth-bubbler-sale

AlaskanAg99
AG
3rd brew in as many weeks. Getting back in tbe groove and yesterday I kegged 2 beers, calibrated 2 carboys, washed a half dozen kegs, washed yeast from the 2 carboys and had so much going on my 11 gal batch ended up at 9. Too distracted, not sure what I missed but bummed I screwed up. Next weekend kegging on Friday night. Beer will turn out fine, but I made a mistake somewhere.
farmer2010
AG
Doppelbock is underway. This beer is 100% base malt, so I'm going with an extra long boil to hopefully get some deeper color and melanoidin complexity. Gonna pitch it onto the yeast cake leftover from the schwarzbier I brewed last week.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Did anyone in Houston enter Operation Fermentation? Awards is August 27th.
AggieOO
quote:
What's your process?

Just have to get the wort under 140 and then get it in the fermenter with an airlock on it. Drop it into the fermentation chamber and then get my yeast starter going. Next day, put the yeast in the worth.

Never have to remember 24 hours ahead to make a starter and don't have to use a chiller or a crap load of ice. Have a few coke bottles I keep in the freezer for ice. Drop the boil pot into a plastic tub with water and those coke bottles. About 5 mins and I'm down to 140ish.
Coy94
AG
quote:

I entered my mild. That's all I had available. Judging was supposed to happen this pay Saturday and Sunday. I am looking forward to any comments from the judges (and, needless to say, the results).

Coy94
AlaskanAg99
AG
quote:
quote:

I entered my mild. That's all I had available. Judging was supposed to happen this pay Saturday and Sunday. I am looking forward to any comments from the judges (and, needless to say, the results).

Coy94

Judging is this week. The dates were on the website for signing up to judge or steward.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.