Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

377,291 Views | 3347 Replies | Last: 49 min ago by hurricanejake02
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Try it now

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/655252/black-kolsch

5 lb American - Pale Ale 37 3.5 46.5%
3 lb Belgian - Pale Ale 38 3.4 27.9%
2 lb German - Munich Light 37 6 18.6%
0.5 lb United Kingdom - Black Patent 27 525 4.7%
0.25 lb United Kingdom - Pale Chocolate

1 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker 4 Boil 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker 4 Boil 20 min
0.25 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker 4 Boil 10 min
0.25 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker 4 Boil 5 min

safale k-97

OG 1055
FG 1011
Ornlu
AG
Okay, my first reaction was that you need some crystal or biscuit malt to develop that malty character that you describe, but after thinking about it more your Munich malt will do just fine. You balanced that well I think. Half pound of black patent seems too high, but maybe its what you're looking for.

Nice hops choice.

G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Would I be correct in categorizing this as an American brown ale? That was the only thing that matched the specs on brewers friend
Ornlu
AG
Not really. "Black Kolsch" isn't a classic style (at least not according to BJCP guidelines). It's not wrong to do it, just doesn't fit one of the accepted styles, and so it likely wouldn't do well in a competition. Still sounds delicious tho.

Here's the guidelines: https://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php
Quote:

10C. American Brown Ale
Aroma: Malty, sweet and rich, which often has a chocolate, caramel, nutty and/or toasty quality. Hop aroma is typically low to moderate. Some interpretations of the style may feature a stronger hop aroma, a citrusy American hop character, and/or a fresh dry-hopped aroma (all are optional). Fruity esters are moderate to very low. The dark malt character is more robust than other brown ales, yet stops short of being overly porter-like. The malt and hops are generally balanced. Moderately low to no diacetyl.
Appearance: Light to very dark brown color. Clear. Low to moderate off-white to light tan head.
Flavor: Medium to high malty flavor (often with caramel, toasty and/or chocolate flavors), with medium to medium-high bitterness. The medium to medium-dry finish provides an aftertaste having both malt and hops. Hop flavor can be light to moderate, and may optionally have a citrusy character. Very low to moderate fruity esters. Moderately low to no diacetyl.
Mouthfeel: Medium to medium-full body. More bitter versions may have a dry, resiny impression. Moderate to moderately high carbonation. Stronger versions may have some alcohol warmth in the finish.
Overall Impression: Can be considered a bigger, maltier, hoppier interpretation of Northern English brown ale or a hoppier, less malty Brown Porter, often including the citrus-accented hop presence that is characteristic of American hop varieties.
Comments: A strongly flavored, hoppy brown beer, originated by American home brewers. Related to American Pale and American Amber Ales, although with more of a caramel and chocolate character, which tends to balance the hop bitterness and finish. Most commercial American Browns are not as aggressive as the original homebrewed versions, and some modern craft brewed examples. IPA-strength brown ales should be entered in the Specialty Beer category (23).
Ingredients: Well-modified pale malt, either American or Continental, plus crystal and darker malts should complete the malt bill. American hops are typical, but UK or noble hops can also be used. Moderate carbonate water would appropriately balance the dark malt acidity.
Vital Statistics:
OG: 1.045 1.060
IBUs: 20 40
FG: 1.010 1.016
SRM: 18 35
ABV: 4.3 6.2%
Commercial Examples: Bell's Best Brown, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale, Big Sky Moose Drool Brown Ale, North Coast Acme Brown, Brooklyn Brown Ale, Lost Coast Downtown Brown, Left Hand Deep Cover Brown Ale
I've had Bell's Best Brown, Moose Drool, and Deep Cover. Based on those, I think a 10lb/5gal grain bill would be more like
6# 2-row pale
2# marris otter
1.5# Amber malt
0.5# crystal 40L
4oz black patent malt
4oz chocolate malt
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
They have some speciality entires for unconventional beers but they just aren't eligible for some awards right? Competition is still a ways off for me for now. Santo is one of my favorites and I can't wait to brew this one.

I'm thinking mash right in the middle at 155 then sparge at 170. I have the water profile target as a Munich dark lager which would be pretty close I think to the one you posted
Ornlu
AG
Yes, you can enter it in the specialty category, but those are frequently gummed up with a thousand newbies who entered their "My girlfriend doesn't like hops, so here is a beer I brewed with basil instead of hops" concoctions. Judges HATE that category.

I know this, because I have entered a few (too many) beers into the specialty category.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
It also fits pre prohibition porter, though these focus on American hops and mine are German, though they are a more traditional one. Gravity too high for dark German lagers and I'm using ale yeast so it isn't a lager.
AlaskanAg99
AG
We throw out 34A Clone Beer and 34C Experimental cats because they flat out suck. Clones because it's unfair to the judge and entrant if the judge has never had some obscure brewery only beer (I'm aware of what the guidelines say) and the latter because well because crap.

Depending how you brew it you'd have to be injective of how it tastes to determine what category it should be entered in.

If you just want to drink a Kolsch that is black, brew a classic example and add Sinamar.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/4-OZ-SINAMAR-NATURAL-COLORING-P2651.aspx

It needs to be crisp and light to still be a kolsch, my recipe is 95% german Pils and 5% vienna malt.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I don't want just the color, I want the dark roasted flavors with a light crisp mouth feel
AlaskanAg99
AG
So sort of a meld between schwarzbier/kolsch.
Ornlu
AG
Seven said:

I don't want just the color, I want the dark roasted flavors with a light crisp mouth feel
Have you ever had Xingu Black Beer?
https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2480/1314/

Sounds like what you're describing. It's got the body & hops character of a mexican/carribean light lager, with a toasted/caramel note in the aftertaste.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Exactly

Ornlu, that one sounds intriguing. Going to go buy some mango hop dillusion today from Karbach. Absolutely great IPA. Still working on my citra IPA I did the other day, almost done with it but has been really good. Probably will brew it again soon
62strat
AG
Ornlu said:

Not really. "Black Kolsch" isn't a classic style (at least not according to BJCP guidelines). It's not wrong to do it, just doesn't fit one of the accepted styles, and so it likely wouldn't do well in a competition. Still sounds delicious tho.

Here's the guidelines: https://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php

I've had Bell's Best Brown, Moose Drool, and Deep Cover. Based on those, I think a 10lb/5gal grain bill would be more like
6# 2-row pale
2# marris otter
1.5# Amber malt
0.5# crystal 40L
4oz black patent malt
4oz chocolate malt
2008?? Come on now!

https://www.bjcp.org/docs/2015_Guidelines_Beer.pdf
Ornlu
AG
Your PDF is much more difficult to copy/paste than my html. When they release the 2015 in a more user-friendly format, I'll use it.

Seriously tho, the big difference is that they renumbered all the styles. It feels like that ****ty thing that happened in college when your professor was the one who wrote your text book, and he wanted your hard earned cash in HIS pocket instead of yours, so he would release a "new version" of the textbook every year. Which would be identical to last years version but with the homework problem numbers all out of order.
Moxie
AG
Mango hop delusion is one of my favorite seasonals; InBev be damned.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Just racked my blonde ale into secondary. Gravity at 1.005. ABV coming in at 4.7 right now. Color on point, should clear up soon. Hope to keg, carb, and chill for a party on Sunday. This recipe was designed for a quick turn around, I'll be pushing it to the limit.
Ornlu
AG
Do any of ya'll actually use gelatin finings? That's an aspect I've never bothered with, but I might on my next batch.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I've had good luck with whilfloc and notice a difference in clarirty.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I use whilfloc in every batch, I generally don't do gelatine but I need to on pilsners and lagers. IPA I don't, but I'm not making hazies with all the added oats. For stouts/brown-black beers I don't.
62strat
AG
Ornlu said:

Your PDF is much more difficult to copy/paste than my html. When they release the 2015 in a more user-friendly format, I'll use it.

Seriously tho, the big difference is that they renumbered all the styles. It feels like that ****ty thing that happened in college when your professor was the one who wrote your text book, and he wanted your hard earned cash in HIS pocket instead of yours, so he would release a "new version" of the textbook every year. Which would be identical to last years version but with the homework problem numbers all out of order.
They have it in .doc.. how friendly do you need it
https://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php

Yeh, they renumbered, but they also added 6 categories and updated some categories quite a bit (especially IPA)
txagfisher
AG
I use whirl floc every batch and fine with gelatin on lighter beers such as blondes, cream ales, bitters, etc. It works great. Make sure you cold crash for at least a day before adding finings.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Brewed my black kolsch today. Stuff looked like coffee. Could really smell the black patent, worried I went too much on it but we will see soon. Been in the primary for 30-40 minutes and its starting to bubble.

Will rack blonde ale tomorrow into the keg
Ornlu
AG
I'm brewing my velvet hammer clone today, starting around 2ish.

I made a 3000mL starter. First I did 800mL of 1.040 wort (from DME), let it grow for 48 hours on a stirplate, then cold crashed and drained some liquid to get it down to just 400mL. Added 2600mL of 1.052 wort (also from DME) and it's been growing for about 36 hours now on my stirplate. It will be ~45 hours total before pitching.

Are those times long enough?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Two starters on a stir plate for 48 hours per should be fine. How close will the gravities be to your brew?
Ornlu
AG
Uh, not close at all. The OG's predicted at 1.087.

And they're in the same flask. Starters in series, not in parallel. Dunno if I did that right?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
What I would do would be shut off your stir plate when you start the process and give it some time to settle out, drain as much of the wort as you can without losing any yeast. Then right before you start your boil take 300-500ml, let it cool then add that back into your starter and start the plate again. Would get the yeast adjusted to the new gravity, have them primed and ready and won't add much if any extra flavor to your brew. That's how I hydrate dry yeast.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Racked blonde ale into keg. FG came in at 1.004, 90% attenuation. ABV 4.85 Beautiful crystal clear finish. Putting 2.56 volumes in it right now, PSI @ 14 in the fridge chilling to 42. Will leave it hooked up until tomorrow afternoon, bleed the keg and bring it back down to serving pressure to be tapped Sunday afternoon at a party.
Ornlu
AG
Uh..... Emergency!

I ran out of propane 56 minutes into a 90 minute boil. Only takes 15 minutes to get more, but what to do with in between time?
khkman22
AG
Could you just finish on the stove, or is the pot too big to handle/fit on the stove?
Ornlu
AG
There's 12.5 gallons in it ATM. Much too bi g to move.

Do I count of interim 15 mins as boil, or discount them?
khkman22
AG
Others would be more help than I am, but I would count the non boil time towards some of the boil. Not sure about how you would discount it. I would think the biggest issue would be getting it too bitter letting it set at a high temp for an additional 15-20 on top of the full 90 minute boil.
Ornlu
AG
****, I'm gonna write the whole thing off. Everything went wrong. Wrong OG, bad boil time, I got off work 5 hours late, etc.
khkman22
AG
By writing it off, I hope you mean having no expectations for it, not that you dumped it. I would finish it out and just see how it turns out, knowing it won't be a clone, but could still be a decent, drinkable beer.
Ornlu
AG
Yes have no expectation . Too far off of what I want. Just frustrated is all,. Not throwing wort out.
Ornlu
AG
Yes have no expectation . Too far off of what I want. Just frustrated is all,. Not throwing wort out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.