Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

377,332 Views | 3347 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by hurricanejake02
Ornlu
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You really do have to play with that calculator. It's got about 16 variables, so algorithmicly finding the optimum is computationally hard. Easy enough if you just play with em.

Any homebrew supply sells brewing salts. Usually, they sell gypsum, calcium carbonate, calcium chloride, epsom salt, and chalk. Just get table salt or baking soda at the grocery store. I have 1 ~150g vial of each that I keep with my brew scale, hydrometer, etc.

If I need to acidify my mash, I use tartaric acid, A.K.A. "Cream of tartar", from the baking isle at the grocery store. There's a button in that same calculator to tell you how much.

Ornlu
AG
Look for stuff like this: LD Carlson gypsum
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Thank you!
62strat
AG
Ornlu said:

Strat's right, that filter looks great. Saves tons of hassle too.
I can use that same filter to filter the beer as well, if necessary for competition or what have you. I haven't filtered any beer yet though and they all clear up pretty well on their own.
Ornlu
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

You might see what you can get away with by just emailing Peticolas directly. Those guys are pretty cool and might help you out.
Okay, I tweeted at them. Here's their response:

Quote:

Glad to hear you enjoy Velvet Hammer so much that you're going to give it a go to recreate it! No big secrets there, really; most of our boil times are 90 minutes, and for hops Velvet Hammer uses Bravo for bittering, and then flavor and aroma are a blend of Columbus, Centennial and Chinook. Generous amounts but not crazy...
So here's what I'm going to go with. 10 gallon batch, 12.5 gallons in the brew kettle. 90 minute boil.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/465021/celtic-warrior-imperial-irish-red
  • 23.5# 2-row pale
  • 4# crystal 10L
  • 1.75# crystal 20L
  • 6oz crystal 90L
  • 5oz roasted barley
  • 2# brown sugar (end of boil)
  • 2oz Bravo (15.5%) for 90 mins
  • 0.5oz each of Cascade (7%), Centenial (10%) and Chinook (13%) for 30 mins
  • 0.5oz each of Cascade (7%), Centenial (10%) and Chinook (13%) for 10 mins
  • 1 TBsp of Irish moss at 30 mins
  • Safale English Ale Yeast (S-04), with a YUUUUUGE starter
  • Target water chemistry CA-112, MG-5, NA-25, CL-95,SO4-95, HCO-50
  • 10g Gypsum, 2g Epsom, 13g Calcium Chloride, 3g Chalk.
  • Need 7g of tartaric acid to get mash pH down to 5.25.
  • Ferment 8 days at 65F then cold crash & rack to secondary for 21 days at 60F.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Looks like it will make a killer beer! Only thing I would suggest would be to change the Cascade to Columbus. Way different hops, AA% and would align better with Peticolas's tweet. I would personally up the 10 min hop additions as well. Just my personal taste. That giant grain bill will probably drown out the hops at those amounts. That's awesome that they got back to you! I've enjoyed everything I've tried from them.
bmc13
AG
awesome!
fav13andac1)c
AG
Brewing a raspberry gose for the summer. Haven't brewed since February so I am stoked!

4.5 gallon Corny Keg batch
OG 1.047
78% efficiency

3.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 38.9 %
2.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) 27.8 %
1.00 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) 11.1 %
0.15 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Kosher Salt (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)

1.0 pkg German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007)
2.00 lb Frozen Raspberry (0.0 SRM) added 60% AA
Lactic acid 15 ml or to taste.
Ornlu
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Looks like it will make a killer beer! Only thing I would suggest would be to change the Cascade to Columbus. Way different hops, AA% and would align better with Peticolas's tweet. I would personally up the 10 min hop additions as well. Just my personal taste. That giant grain bill will probably drown out the hops at those amounts. That's awesome that they got back to you! I've enjoyed everything I've tried from them.
Thanks. My brain thought "columbus" and my fingers input "cascade". what do you think, 3 whole ounces (1 of each) on the 10 min hops? If that's the case, I'm going to add the other 0.5oz of each into the brew kettle while the chiller's running.

It's 1.090 OG and 1.020 FG (~9.5% ABV) so it really needs 80+ IBUs to cover the sweetness.
AlaskanAg99
AG
So who's made a Brut IPA?
Ornlu
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

So who's made a Brut IPA?
a What?
AlaskanAg99
AG
A new trend and the opposite direction of the NE style. Using enzymes to convert all starches to sugar so it finishes out bone dry. Massive whirlpool and dry hops then carb to Champaign levels. No boil hops.
62strat
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

Brewing a raspberry gose for the summer. Haven't brewed since February so I am stoked!

4.5 gallon Corny Keg batch
OG 1.047
78% efficiency

3.50 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) 38.9 %
2.50 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) 27.8 %
1.00 lb Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) 11.1 %
0.15 oz Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus (CTZ) [13.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Kosher Salt (Boil 15.0 mins)
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins)

1.0 pkg German Ale (Wyeast Labs #1007)
2.00 lb Frozen Raspberry (0.0 SRM) added 60% AA
Lactic acid 15 ml or to taste.
Damn, that sounds kind of fun to make.. such small amounts!

As much as I love all types of sou beers, I've yet to consider making one. Do you pitch that acid on day 1, or do you wait until after the 1007 completes its initial fermentation? Aren't there actual packaged yeasts that already have the brett or lacto or whathave you in it?

I'll have to read up on it a bit. I'm not too familiar with the down and dirty details of actually souring beers.

Ornlu
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

No boil hops.
No boil hops? <does not compute>

Sounds interesting. I'll see if I can find a commercial example to try, but I might try it in the not-too-distant future.
62strat
AG
Ornlu said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

No boil hops.
No boil hops? <does not compute>

Sounds interesting. I'll see if I can find a commercial example to try, but I might try it in the not-too-distant future.
Isn't that whole premise of the NEIPA? Drop bitterness and add huge flavor from hops, by throwing them in after the boil. So I thought it was anyway.

And of course, the haze. Just like blue mountains means your beer is cold, the haze means your beer is all the craze.

Ornlu
AG
I didn't realize NEIPA was post-boil hops. I thought it was just extra "resin-ey" hops. Ie: very fresh, an oily hop variety, and whole cone only.
AlaskanAg99
AG
The big difference between Haze and Brut is in Haze you want it packed full of crap and proteins and yeast. Brut is Pils and maybe wheat, but the add enzymes break down everything into fermentable sugars. It's bone dry and has nothing left in the body.
Ornlu
AG
Got a sample recipe? Interested in the enzyme schedule.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I don't. It's so new there's not a lot out there. Just some articles describing the beer. This concept has only popped up in the last few months.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Got all my stuff, finally. Brewing today. Heating mash water right now
62strat
AG
Brew day tomorrow for me.. Finally getting the woman a beer for her, just a good ol west coast pale ale. Almost a SMASH.

9lbs 2 row
8oz Carapils
8oz C60
8oz Munich

.75oz cascade 60 min
1.5oz cascade 5 min
1oz cascade flame out
1oz cascade dry hop

Had WLP002 english ale as my yeast, but guy at lhbs convinced me to try a new yeast, Imperial. It's organic, it's double size of white labs (has 200b cells), so you don't need a starter, and it was only $10. They have several copy cat strains of whitelabs. I got their 'house yeast' which is a WLP002 copy cat.
http://www.imperialyeast.com/

Figured I'd give it a shot.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Looks like I managed 64% efficiency. Not sure if this is good or bad. I did a double sparge, maybe I should have tried to drain it better? Yielded exactly 5 gallons so that was a plus. All in all very fun experience, took almost 6 hours from beginning to end. Cant wait to see how it turns out.
fav13andac1)c
AG
There are yeast SKUs with lacto, brett, etc. but I'm not willing to wait for the funk to settle in for however long it needs to sit. I'm impatient, ha. Which is why I'm cheating with lactic acid. It goes into my purged serving keg before I transfer. If it needs more I can add more later.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Our DDHIPA at Tupps is no bittering hops, a relatively small amount of flameout/whirlpool hops, and two MASSIVE dry hops. Low bitterness, high flavor!
AlaskanAg99
AG
My Belgian Dubbel finished at 1.010...a wee bit on the dry side.
Moxie
AG
Brewed a NEIPA last night with Azacca and Cascade (14oz total between kettle and dry hops). I also used Imperial yeast's juice strain. Very excited about this one.
62strat
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

My Belgian Dubbel finished at 1.010...a wee bit on the dry side.
mine was 67 to 10. Within attenuation range of the yeast I used. What OG?
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
I've got a problem

Both my kegs are going to be empty about the same time and I'll have a beer gap. I really need to get 2-3 more kegs so I can keep them rotating. I only have 1 primary but have two secondaries so really I could have two ready to keg and one fermenting. I just need to get caught up a bit but have spent too much money this month on brewing.
txag2008
AG
nm
Ornlu
AG
I kegged 10 gals of agave wheat last night. https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/644491/wheagave-6-5

I overshot the OG (efficiency was 81% instead of the 77% I had budgeted for). 1.059 OG, and then it finished several points lower than expected. 1.005 FG. So ~7.1% ABV. I added the zest of two limes into secondary just to add a little depth. Ended up very crisp & dry, especial for such a big beer. However, I only meant for it to be ~6.5% ABV, so might be an overtoasted memorial day for my guests.
txagfisher
AG
Finally going to bottle my saison that has been in the fermenter for 2 months. Need to get some of my other projects finished so i can get back to brewing!
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Put together my first recipe today (got the blonde ale from earlier from HBT). Stylewise it is an American brown ale, I'm shooting for something kind of like a black kolsch like a Santo. Light drinkable session beer with low bitterness and good malty depth. Planning to brew it tomorrow or Wednesday, as soon as I free up my primary. I'll see how it turns out before I post the recipe.
Ornlu
AG
Post it if you haven't bought or ordered it yet. We got's tips, will help out.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Have already bought the stuff. Not 100% sure on mash temp or water profile

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/655252/black-kolsch
Ornlu
AG
Seven said:

Have already bought the stuff. Not 100% sure on mash temp or water profile

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/655252/black-kolsch
That recipe won't load, but this should be your target water profile:
Dsseldorf (Altbier)
90 Ca
12 Mg
45 Na
82 Cl
65 SO4
223 HCO

Lower Mash temperature --> more fermentable sugars but less body in the final beer.
Higher mash temperature --> less fermentables, but more body
(As long as temp is between ~144F and 162F, which is the action range for both alpha & beta amalyse)

Since this is a session, shoot for lower mash temp. 150-152?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.