Who?mikejones! said:
Our culture is youth sports->high school->college->pro. Relatively low cost with the best player moving to the next level based on takeng
It's a merit based system, or has been for most of its life. The pay to play element has been there for a long time but maybe only the last 20 years in earnest.
Europe/world basically takes the best kids from high school onward in to professional organizations.
Baseball is the most similar here, or was, with it being open to high end high school graduates at 18. But, even that is a late start for euro/world soccer.
I cannot foresee the united states ever creating a program where kids as young as 12 or 13 are pulled into professional development programs ala Europe in enough numbers to make much a difference.
So we've got to figure out a way to interrupt the youth sports-> college conveyor belt and its probably right there between youth sports and high school. It cannot happen without discovery fees or a substantial developmental league.
But, what's the incentive for a family to choose that route?
Again, my kids are in elementary, so I'm blending my youth vs what I know of theirs.
High School soccer (think like 1990's/early 2000) NEVER dictated anything about player success. It was really just a fun break from club and I was on a team that made 5A state finals.
Club soccer was how I got scholarship offers, and where I got good. The high school coach was far more a reminder of the old coach who fell into the job and simply just followed the positioning of the club teams.
------
But is youth soccer merit based? No it's not. It's money based. Outside of the most extreme cases, any kid, whether they've played soccer or not, could join a "youth academy" team if their $2,000 check clears.
My sons team was in 7v7 league and they had 14 players at the high point, with a bench consisting of kids who were "just trying out soccer." Had no experience or talent, but did have money.
That's not merit based.
We did play a Pre-ECNL team, and they weren't materially better. Their strength was their bench didn't have the drop off that our bench had, and that was the difference in the game. But as I said, to get to that team (and 3 practices/week), parents are dropping $3,000 per year. That just seems ridiculous.
So is it merit based? Sure in the sense they can identify the better players. But are those better players receiving the best coaching? The best playing together? Only if the check clears.