Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Whoop Strap

28,896 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ragoo
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Correct, it has no display.

No, it does not connect to Garmin.

To see your HR via Whoop, you'll need to open the app on your phone.
htxag09
AG
What i thought. So for most runners, no, it won't replace a chest strap. Just about every runner I know wants to see their hr while running. Especially those that care enough to buy a chest strap vs using the watch's wrist based hr.
Ragoo
AG
htxag09 said:

What i thought. So for most runners, no, it won't replace a chest strap. Just about every runner I know wants to see their hr while running. Especially those that care enough to buy a chest strap vs using the watch's wrist based hr.
yeah damn looks like I am wearing both. I am most interested in the feedback that I don't sleep/recover enough.
JoeOlson
AG
Thanks for all of the guidance. I ended up grabbing a code from a friend of mine that I asked around the same time. Looks like I'll receive the band later this week!

When they upgrade bands, do you have the ability to trade it in or am I pretty locked into this version for all 18 months?
Ragoo
AG
Just got mine

What is the group name?
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Name - TexAgs
Code - COMM-C9B4B9
Ragoo
AG
Do you have to start a sleep timer every night or does it understand when you fall asleep?
StringerBell
AG
It will kind of figure it out based on your heart rate (and when you wake up you can say you were sleeping during specific times) or you can just go to the app and select sleeping as your activity
OaklandAg06
AG
I'm curious how it goes about calculating caloric burn. It's interesting to see that two people can have almost identical strain for the day but burn a very different amount of calories.
Vernada
AG
I've never started the sleep timer. The auto detect works fine for me.
Ragoo
AG
Great. I assume you do start each activity?
lazuras_dc
AG
Ragoo said:

I generally will start the activity manually although it can auto detect. I let it auto detect sleep. Will manually start naps. Don't know why but that's just how I've done it.
Vernada
AG
Ragoo said:

Depends on what I'm doing. For exercise routines I start strain coach so I can make sure I hit certain targets. For rucking, I just let it auto detect.

Honestly, for you, I wouldn't do anything other than wear it for a week or so.
Ragoo
AG
Yeah. That is my plan. Turn 35 next Saturday 9/5 and I want to take the time between now and then to learn it and implement fully for my bday. I am going to do a light ride this evening and see if it detects and compare to my Garmin strap.
DuckDown2013
AG
The only time I manually start a workout is if I'm running for distance. Otherwise, I let it auto-detect everything.
Ragoo
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

The only time I manually start a workout is if I'm running for distance. Otherwise, I let it auto-detect everything.
i will use my fenix 3 for tracking those type of activities.

One thing already is that I am right handed. I wear my Garmin on my left.l and now the Whoop on my right. Wondering if I should flip these as I typically only wear my Garmin outside the house.
lazuras_dc
AG
My 5y/o wanted to wear my whoop strap today. Since it's calibrated to my RHR and kids' have such a higher RHR it's Already at 7.0 strain in an hour. Will be interesting to see what happens today. If I'm at an all time high that's why lol
mrmill3218
AG
I don't get the whoop strap, or even the Apple Watch. Do you really need something to tell you how hard you worked out or how well you slept or recovered? Do you like constantly reporting to someone and feeling like someone is always watching. I enjoy the freedom that working out presents. I don't want to feel watched or on the clock or plugged in 24/7.
JoeOlson
AG
Like most things in life, it's a matter of preference. I enjoy the Apple Watch for the notifications and it helps me stay off my phone constantly. I just got the Whoop (yesterday) and I got it because I enjoy the data. I'm the type that goes through my Strava numbers for any long bike ride. I want to track sleep, I want to see the impact on my HRV, etc. The data motivates me to work harder because it keeps me accountable.

I think it's great that you don't need that, but I've found that I do. I'm absolutely nowhere near the level of a solid athlete, but I'm mid 30s and realize that there's never going to be an easier time to get back in shape.
tamu2009
AG
Anyone see the Amazon Halo that was just announced? Looks to be very Whoop esque but also has microphones that can listen to the tone of your voice.
Vernada
AG
mrmill3218 said:

I don't get the whoop strap, or even the Apple Watch. Do you really need something to tell you how hard you worked out or how well you slept or recovered? Do you like constantly reporting to someone and feeling like someone is always watching. I enjoy the freedom that working out presents. I don't want to feel watched or on the clock or plugged in 24/7.
wow. that's a pretty dark world view that you seem to have.

Like a lot of things in life, sure you don't need it.

Feel free to avoid the thread in the future since it's not for you. ;-)
Vernada
AG
tamu2009 said:

Anyone see the Amazon Halo that was just announced? Looks to be very Whoop esque but also has microphones that can listen to the tone of your voice.
I love Amazon in general - but have been super disappointed in almost every hardware device they've released.
mrmill3218
AG
Vernada said:

mrmill3218 said:

Lol I don't really get how get that I have a dark world view from what I said.

I don't get the whoop strap, but different strokes for different folks.

I will avoid the thread from now on. Thanks.
Ragoo
AG
mrmill3218 said:

Vernada said:

mrmill3218 said:

Lol I don't really get how get that I have a dark world view from what I said.

I don't get the whoop strap, but different strokes for different folks.

I will avoid the thread from now on. Thanks.
what is your typical exercise routine and what are your goals?

I am training for an Ironman 70.3 with goal to complete a full. I sleep what I think is enough to survive the next day but I know it isn't enough to reach a full potential as an athlete. I do t want to just finish, I want to do well and continue to get better. Sleep and recovery is very important. My hope is that this device gives me the data and I see the proof in my athletic performance. If it does that then this is a no brained. If it doesn't then I will cancel my sub and go on with my life.
StringerBell
AG
These types of comments on texags crack me up

Subject: small unique topic

Everyone else: wow this is great I need advice let's all talk about how much we enjoy this

random poster: HAHAH WHY DO YOU GUYS CARE SO MUCH I COULD NEVER CARE THAT MUCH ABOUT THAT THING

everyone else: well it's good I don't know why you don't care this is important to us

random poster: WOW YALL ARE TOUCHY I MEAN DAMN I GUESS ILL JUST STAY AWAY
mrmill3218
AG
I got you, man. I just play soccer and do CrossFit. I didn't mean to be divisive. I should have phrased my question in a "help me understand this" type of way. I'm sure it is helpful and cool for those who need it/want it more than I do.
mrmill3218
AG
Lol that is not what happened. But I should have phrased my comment differently. That other cat invited me to stay away, so that's why I said that.
StringerBell
AG
All love man. No worries.
mrmill3218
AG
Yes indeed!
lazuras_dc
AG
mrmill3218 said:

I got you, man. I just play soccer and do CrossFit. I didn't mean to be divisive. I should have phrased my question in a "help me understand this" type of way. I'm sure it is helpful and cool for those who need it/want it more than I do.

As stated before it's neat to see the strain and you can plan to match your days strain based on your given recovery. Most days I feel about the same but have recovery run the gamut. it can be a motivator to push yourself more even when you "think" you're done. Or a reminder to let off a little bit. Now I understand that you may not think an app telling you how you feel should be trusted over how you actually feel. But even if I feel as good as yesterday if my recovery is showing Lower , I'll take it a bit more easy. Whether it's a gimmick or not, I don't know. But as a numbers person, I like having metrics I can look at and track.
Ragoo
AG
lazuras_dc said:

My 5y/o wanted to wear my whoop strap today. Since it's calibrated to my RHR and kids' have such a higher RHR it's Already at 7.0 strain in an hour. Will be interesting to see what happens today. If I'm at an all time high that's why lol
so shenanigans? Someone is at the top of the board now.
lazuras_dc
AG
Ragoo said:

lazuras_dc said:

so shenanigans? Someone is at the top of the board now.

Yeah my all time max before that was 16 or so. She gave me a 20.7. During recess her HR was like 180 So whoop thought I was dying probably.
Cody is consistently high teens which to me is crazy bc Even an active day for me I may be mid teens. Need to step my game up.
Ragoo
AG
Note: do not wear wakeboarding.
Vernada
AG
How in the world did that happen!?

I just rubbed my palm over over mine and didn't feel any edge that seemed it could carve me like that!
Ragoo
AG
I crashed. The force of the water popped it off and swung around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.