Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Whoop Strap

28,868 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ragoo
TitanAGGIE09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It gives you a resting heart rate under the recovery portion which is only measured during "compete rest"

Is that what you want?

Here is what it is reading.
lazuras_dc
AG
That should do the trick. On the bright side Mines quite a bit lower than I expected at 43. Weird flex, I know.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Sent
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I always knew alcohol hurt your sleep, but now that I can see it real time it's a wonder I survived A&M
Gilligan
AG
Started with fitbit years ago and have graduated to Garmin.

Love it. Tracks fitness, sleep, hydration. Has an online community for challenges and rewards.

Highly recommended.

Also, if you want to sleep better move your TV out of the bedroom.
culdeus
AG
So now this thing is being used to spot the rona. There are tell tell signs that Nick Watney was flagged for and he tested +.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Yes, there has been some reports and data related to it. A lot of golfers are wearing these now. Basically the articles I've read would reflect that you could show a large fluctuation in respiratory rate. That doesn't mean you go from 13 to 14 or a 14 to 15, but that you have say a baseline if 13.6 consistently and you wake up with an overnight respiratory rate of 17 -20 Etc. that would be a very abnormal thing and likely a sign of something

They've put out a few articles saying members have reached out after a positive test and they had a large increase in rates at same time
culdeus
AG
Help me understand what data it tracks automatically, vs stuff you have to enter. They make it hard on some level to figure this out.
lazuras_dc
AG
It tracks sleep as HR, HRV, resp, latency, time in bed versus calculated phases of sleep and disturbances. And based on that gives you a "recovery" %.

It tracks your HR thru the day and calculates your "strain" based on that. If you want to manually input a type of activity and the times you started and finished, you can but it's not necessary. You have to manually enter naps as well.
lazuras_dc
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

Yes, there has been some reports and data related to it. A lot of golfers are wearing these now. Basically the articles I've read would reflect that you could show a large fluctuation in respiratory rate. That doesn't mean you go from 13 to 14 or a 14 to 15, but that you have say a baseline if 13.6 consistently and you wake up with an overnight respiratory rate of 17 -20 Etc. that would be a very abnormal thing and likely a sign of something

They've put out a few articles saying members have reached out after a positive test and they had a large increase in rates at same time

I saw a 15-20% increase From your normal "zone" for respirations and HR, and a decrease of around the same in HRV would signal something going on. Not necessarily rona but maybe an illness or something to be mindful of.
culdeus
AG
It seems like the biggest advantage this has is you can charge it while wearing it. The tech here seems to be very absorbable by apple if they can get the battery to carry this tech 24x7
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Being able to charge it as you wear it is really nice it's also IMO very comfortable. I used to sleep in my Fitbit and hated it. This I don't even notice
lazuras_dc
AG
Anyone else have this issue? When I look @ my sleep it says I wakeup at 6:45am which is accurate but the graph will show until like 7:30 and it show light and REM sleep even after I wake up. What's the deal with that?
K Bo
AG
Finally subscribed yesterday.
halfbean
AG
selk said:

I am scared to try it, but for those of yall that have one do shower, swim, etc with it on?

Yes, I never take it off
TitanAGGIE09
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Anyone else have this issue? When I look @ my sleep it says I wakeup at 6:45am which is accurate but the graph will show until like 7:30 and it show light and REM sleep even after I wake up. What's the deal with that?

I haven't seen that issue.. is it staying connected at night? Might just try rebooting your strap. Takes about 30-60sec

Click top left>strap settings>Advanced settings>reboot
lazuras_dc
AG

Hey Titan, ok as you can see in the photo where it says Heart Rate... it has the (almost) exact times I went to bed and woke up. However, the graph underneath goes until well after the wakeup time and it shows REM sleep after I'm up
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I see what you're seeing, however I've always read that as the duration of time during sleep not the actual time of day which I believe is correct.
lazuras_dc
AG
below that were it says hear rate: 9:27pm-6:43am is pretty much the exact time I went to bed and wokeup.So I wokeup at 6:43am which is correct and the app gets right. But then in the graph I'm in REM sleep until 8am or so.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I still think you're reading the graph as a point in time like a clock and not duration of sleep. That's 1hr and 32min into your Time in bed/sleep cycle then 3hrs and 5min in and so forth. That last being 7hrs and 43min of time in bed and continues until you've been in bed for the the log 9hrs and 15min.
gif
Where it says "Heart Rate" is the actual time of day/night you slept. The circled section under the graph is the number of hours/minutes you slept and the graph shows the type of sleep during those hours/minutes.

Take 7:43 in the circled section...that denotes the time of your sleep cycle, not 7:43am.
lazuras_dc
AG
Quote:

I still think you're reading the graph as a point in time like a clock and not duration of sleep.

Ohhhhh you're right... I'm what they call... an idiot.
Vernada
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Quote:

I still think you're reading the graph as a point in time like a clock and not duration of sleep.

Ohhhhh you're right... I'm what they call... an idiot.
you just needed a new perspective
lazuras_dc
AG
Interesting. Gave blood Monday. Two nights in a row HRV has been down 20% and my recovery has been terrible ~40% when normally I'm above 70% with equal amounts of sleep. Finally last night had normal HRV and recovery At 60%
DuckDown2013
AG
Had mine for 3 months or so and absolutely love it. It's crazy how changing your diet affects your data. It really goes to the next level once you can start to see your weekly and monthly trends.
Desert Power
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

Had mine for 3 months or so and absolutely love it. It's crazy how changing your diet affects your data. It really goes to the next level once you can start to see your weekly and monthly trends.

What were you changing in your diet and what changed or showed up differently on your info?
DuckDown2013
AG
Stopped eating sweets and bread. I already didn't drink sodas or sweet tea. I didn't eliminate sugar, but have been more mindful of how much I'm taking in. As far as the changes, my body is feeling better and im getting better recovery and more efficiency on the same amount of sleep.
lazuras_dc
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

Stopped eating sweets and bread. I already didn't drink sodas or sweet tea. I didn't eliminate sugar, but have been more mindful of how much I'm taking in. As far as the changes, my body is feeling better and im getting better recovery and more efficiency on the same amount of sleep.

I'm bummed I started whoop strap after already making similar dietary changes and also doing time restricted eating so I never saw "the change". What seems to affect me most is late night alcohol. I can have a drink or two with dinner Around 530pm and it seems to actually help my HRV and recovery. But later than that my HRV goes down and RHR is up.
UpstateAg
AG
Ordered mine today. Coming off torn ligaments in ankle and knee, and looking forward to the stats.
OaklandAg06
AG
Whoop Strap looks interesting with all the data that it tracks. Does anyone use it for more HIIT type stuff, specifically burpees and other body weight exercises? Does it track those type of workouts well, or is it hit and miss?
lazuras_dc
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

Whoop Strap looks interesting with all the data that it tracks. Does anyone use it for more HIIT type stuff, specifically burpees and other body weight exercises? Does it track those type of workouts well, or is it hit and miss?

There is a "strain coach" you select what activity you're doing and press start. It tracks your heart rate and strain throughout and automatically calculates it into your daily strain total.
DuckDown2013
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

I use it for CrossFit regularly. It tracks anything and everything.
LOYAL AG
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

I do cycling and what it calls Functional Fitness on alternating days. When I start I go to the Strain Coach and tell it I'm starting one or the other. Then when I'm finished i tell it I'm done and it calculated the strain from that workout. It's not tracking the activity itself just the strain it out your body under.
wealeat09
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

If anyone wants a code PM me. You get some money off and free months. I originally bought one because of Rory and Justin Thomas talking about golfing in theirs and now Joe Rogan is huge on them. They all do the sober October challenge as well and wear them, but Rogan has kept his for awhile
I don't have PM capability anymore, but I'd love a code. I'm about to buy one.

EDIT: I thought my subscription had ended, but it hasn't. Sending DM now.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Responded

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.