Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Whoop Strap

28,902 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ragoo
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah I found that a little odd too that it didn't display HR on the main screen. Cool feature if you turn your phone sideways it shows the days hear rate in a graph and has activities and rest highlighted.
wealeat09
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Yeah I found that a little odd too that it didn't display HR on the main screen. Cool feature if you turn your phone sideways it shows the days hear rate in a graph and has activities and rest highlighted.
I was wondering where I could see something like this!

Seems like Whoop is trying to be too clever by half. You shouldn't have to complete a puzzle to see this data. Haha!
DuckDown2013
AG
I also was unable to join the Texags whoop group.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I went ahead and created one since we haven't heard back from reproAg. Here are the team details

Team name is "TEXAGS"
Code is COMM-C9B4B9

**update - it works**

One thing I'll give Whoop credit for is the amount of updates and improvements since I purchased one in August 2019. They're constantly updating and adding improvements.
lazuras_dc
AG
Cool, just joined, who else is on? Look like 4 out of the 5 of us are golfers too
girlgolfer12
Me!
Vernada
AG
just got my strap.

Looks like you have to wear it a while before the app will really do anything.

Just FYI - I checked for updates and there was one. If you haven't updated lately, it might be time.
wealeat09
AG
Vernada said:

just got my strap.

Looks like you have to wear it a while before the app will really do anything.

Just FYI - I checked for updates and there was one. If you haven't updated lately, it might be time.
Yep. In the morning you'll see a ton more stuff.

Sleep tracking, I assume, gets smarter over time. Whoop said I woke up at 5:30. I might have woken up briefly then, but I slept for another couple of hours. Working from home has its perks.

It's simple enough to correct though and it seems to be smart on its analysis. We'll see. I'll admit I'm a bit skeptical so far considering what the long term cost will be.
lazuras_dc
AG
For the most part my sleep tracking is dead on. A few times I've had to adjust the the time manually but it rarely affects my recovery significantly even if I get say 30-60more min of sleep. I think the recovery is based more on RHR and HRV. It takes a few days for the app to get your baseline of those things to start really giving you good accurate results.

I'm a big metric guy so this has been a lot of fun to look at and keep track of. It always makes a "game" of working out, sleep, recovery, and the nutrition/alcohol intake which is secondarily associated with those things so I think overall a net benefit to health.
wealeat09
AG
It cut my sleep time in half and recovery was at 27% until I corrected it. Moved it to 75%. Which felt more correct.
lazuras_dc
AG
Yeah if it cuts it in half thats a big deal but sometimes it will say I wakeup at 6am instead of 630 and it doesn't affect it much. I also find if I wakeup to put the baby back to sleep at say 2am, it will say thats a wakeup time and then my name is from 3am-630am, kind of weird.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
If y'all are up with a baby or up in the middle of the night are you grabbing your phone or opening it?
wealeat09
AG
Last night I dozed off on the couch and then went to bed about 30 minutes later. Didn't check my phone, just moved it.

I don't know why it triggered a wake up at 5:30.
lazuras_dc
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

If y'all are up with a baby or up in the middle of the night are you grabbing your phone or opening it?

No
Vernada
AG
I tried using 'strain coach' during my workout today. I realized too late that was probably a mistake since it hasn't been logging data very long. Oh well.
Vernada
AG
Just curious, for non distance workouts, do you use strain coach? Or just let it auto detect activity? Does it matter?

Could you go back and label activity after the fact?

(Probably all stuff I'll figure out - just faster to get experienced input)
wealeat09
AG
You can go back and add. Just use the plus sign on the overview screen.
lazuras_dc
AG
Yes on the main screen Punch that icon that's a Leonardo davinci looking person with the plus sign. Enter activity and what time you did it and it will auto assign/calculate
Vernada
AG
Nevermind. Sleep has shown up now. Just took it a while after I got up.
lazuras_dc
AG
I generally sleep with my phone off, so when I boot it up in the morning it takes a minute to connect the strap then takes about 15-20min to load all the data from the entire night, then I punch process now bc I'm impatient (if you let it go longer it will self process)

The reason I say sleep time doesn't seem too matter much (for me) is I got 8 hours of sleep (8:36 time in bed) last night. with 10 disturbances (which is lower than normal for me) with 2:52 of REM and 1:41 of deep. And my recovery is still only 48% - and I think its bc HRV last night was the lowest its been all week. So if I get an all time high HRV but only 5 hours of sleep I bet I get higher recovery than 8 hours at a low HRV. Just my intuition.

Anyone else w/ strap should join the group- its cool to have a group Team name is "TEXAGS"

Code is COMM-C9B4B9
LOYAL AG
AG
lazuras_dc said:

I generally sleep with my phone off, so when I boot it up in the morning it takes a minute to connect the strap then takes about 15-20min to load all the data from the entire night, then I punch process now bc I'm impatient (if you let it go longer it will self process)

The reason I say sleep time doesn't seem too matter much (for me) is I got 8 hours of sleep (8:36 time in bed) last night. with 10 disturbances (which is lower than normal for me) with 2:52 of REM and 1:41 of deep. And my recovery is still only 48% - and I think its bc HRV last night was the lowest its been all week. So if I get an all time high HRV but only 5 hours of sleep I bet I get higher recovery than 8 hours at a low HRV. Just my intuition.

Anyone else w/ strap should join the group- its cool to have a group Team name is "TEXAGS"

Code is COMM-C9B4B9
Pretty certain this is accurate. I'm not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express but my understanding is that they view HRV and RHR as indicators of how rested/repaired the body is. Their argument would be that if you subjected yourself to extreme strain beyond what you normally do it might take more than one good night's sleep to recover.

For my part June was my first month wearing this thing and it was also the first full month doing strength training in addition to the 3-4 bike rides per week I've done for several years. So I went from 3-4 1-1/2 hour rides per week to 2-3 rides and 3 workouts with jogging, dumbell workouts, pull ups, push ups, etc. The result was I was dragging and couldn't get enough sleep. My recovery scores reflected that pretty much the entire month regardless of how much sleep I got. Looking back at June in any given week I had 2-3 red days and 2-3 yellow days per week the entire month and that's about how I felt. Then earlier this month I started to feel like I was getting acclimated to the additional workout load and I started seeing my HRV and RHR numbers climb which has coincided with an increase in my recovery scores.
TitanAGGIE09
AG

Vernada
AG
So this is all still new to me (not even past the initial calibration phase) but I REALLY like the "Strain" concept. It's a much better metric to judge activity against vs steps (which has been my only other measurable metric for a while now).
DuckDown2013
AG
I used to manually start sleep and workouts via the strain coach. I have found it to be way easier to let the strap do all of this for you.
DuckDown2013
AG
im officially in the whoop group now! (Cody)
Vernada
AG
DuckDown2013 said:

I used to manually start sleep and workouts via the strain coach. I have found it to be way easier to let the strap do all of this for you.
I've been using auto detect too.

However, question about strain coach - I would guess it keeps a running strain total so it would make it easier to target a set strain amount?

I think my main problem is that I move out of BT range of my phone while I workout.
wealeat09
AG
You can just change it to "Running" or whatever the activity was after the auto-detect.

I'm using strain coach for my cycling because it saves the route. You can also view stats in real time as you are working out. Like calorie burn etc.
Vernada
AG
The sleep coach stuff isn't very straight forward.

The Help says if you choose "peak" then you need 100% of you "sleep need".

Tonight my sleep need is 7:57. But if I move performance to "Peak" my recommended time in bed jumps to 8:28. I'm guessing they are saying that based my historic sleep habits I need to be in bed 8:28 to achieve the 7:57 of sleep?

lazuras_dc
AG
Yes. Sleep need doesn't equate to time in bed. It accounts for latency and average time due to disturbances.

That was an interesting revelation for me. That if I thought I was getting my "8hours " it was actually far less because I was in bed for 8 hours but that doesn't mean sleeping for 8
DuckDown2013
AG
Just a little anecdote - I have been eating cleaner for the past 10 weeks. I mainly just Cut out bread and am paying attention to my sugar intake. I'm also prioritizing hydration as I work outside quite a bit. This is the first time I have ever been on any sort of diet. I'm a daily Crossfitter and typically find my day strains in the high teens (18-20).

Last night, I had 88% recovery on less than 6 hours of sleep. Granted, I'm coming off a lower day stain for me (16.3), But There's no way I would have even sniffed a 80+% recovery on this amount of sleep if I wasnt eating cleaner. It's just cool to see the data sync up with your habits.
Vernada
AG
Tried Strain Coach for the first time today during my sandbag routine.

I REALLY like it. It will give you your 'optimal' strain target and then you can set strain wherever you want. I set it for optimal.

It tracks your strain real time. So when I got done with my routine and hadn't hit my target, I knew I needed to work a little more. I ended up adding about 10 minutes of extra work to my routine. It was a great way to push myself just a little bit more.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Think my Whoop Or my body went a little haywire last night. Woke up 5min before my alarm went off. Got up, got ready. Went to gym and by that point it auto processed and showed me to have a 1% recovery lol. HRV was way down, RHR was way way up. Other than that I feel fine which hasn't been the case when I've had a low recovery before, but even this is low compared to anything I've had prior. Didn't even wake up in middle of night. My all time low prior to this was an 18% recovery and that was after an alcohol induced late night concert.. last night I drank water with chicken and a salad.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
There was also an app update yesterday. Anyone see anything weird?
Vernada
AG
Maybe I stole some of yours since I'm sitting at a 96% this AM.

I don't think I installed any update yesterday.
wealeat09
AG
I had my worst recovery last night as well. But it seems accurate.

Had a 16.3 day strain and only got 5.5 hours of sleep. Not good.

This thing is helping me sleep on other night's though. Had no idea it would motivate me to get into bed as much as it motivates me to work out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.