Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

Whoop Strap

28,894 Views | 356 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Ragoo
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I did the update and it didnt seem to change anything.

Yeah I like how this is a game and creates better sleep, nutrition, and workout habits. Although I feel like a slacker compared to some of yall on the Texags group
Vernada
AG
my goal is to win sleeping everyday
Vernada
AG
and lemme tell you - I HATE* the log scale strain is on.

You get to 4 in about 4 minutes of working out. But it takes me a good 45 minutes of hard work to hit 11.

I've already checked strain coach - bec my recovery was so high today, it's telling me I need a 14 strain during my sandbag work to hit 'optimal'.

I'm pretty sure there's no way I can hit 14 in one session.

*don't really hate
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Mine is probably accurate but 1% just seemed so far off the chart and I slept for 7.5hrs AND I woke up feeling fine. so it just seemed out of left field considering I have almost a year of data in there and had never seen anything like that.
Vernada
AG
I know the body is a bit of a mystery and then whoop is a big black box on top of that but strain measurements are a bit confusing even given that.

All week I've done the same two exercise routines at roughly the same time each day and after eating identical meals.

The only variable is day of the week and exercise duration. Same pace. Same weight bags.

Yesterday
Ruck 3 miles = 11.6
Sandbag routine ~30ish min = 11

Today
Ruck 4 miles (same pace) = 10.6
Sandbag routine ~40ish min = 10.9 (added more jump rope between sets since I was struggling to my strain up)

Yesterday's recovery was 87%
Today's was 96%

So, can I infer that with higher recovery my body can do the same work with lower strain?

Edit: calorie expenditure in each case was proportional to time as you would expect.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I would agree with that. It can be tough to get your strain up after a very high recovery.
OaklandAg06
AG
I'm still not clear on how "recovery" is calculated. Is it based on sleep?

So far I am enjoying the heart rate analytics and the sleep analytics- interesting stuff.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Click on the little question mark next to "recovery" on that screen you swipe over too and it'll give you all the info you need on it.
Vernada
AG
Someone in the group is sitting at a 19.9 strain today.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
That's crazy... I spend too much time in an office. I get what I get at the gym and the rest of the day is a bunch of low heart rate chillin. It's also damn near impossible to get 12+ lifting weights unless you've got 2hrs or a big chunk it cardio
lazuras_dc
AG
One day I'm gunna go off and just go all out and see where I can get..... one day .....
lazuras_dc
AG

Quote:

So, can I infer that with higher recovery my body can do the same work with lower strain?

That's my understanding
wealeat09
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Quote:

That's my understanding
This definitely is the case. I don't think my ride today was much tougher than yesterday but my strain score on the ride was 2.5 points higher today. 37% recovery. And I totally felt it at the end of the ride.
DuckDown2013
AG
Vernada said:

Someone in the group is sitting at a 19.9 strain today.

That's me...you'll see a lot of those. I work for chick-Fil-a, so I'm on my feet all day long. And I workout everyday before or after work. I don't sleep much either. Not a great combo. My normal strain is 17-20.
wealeat09
AG
What I find so incredible about this device at this point is that the recovery score really matches how I feel in the morning.

My sleep performance was 86%. My highest all week.

But since my strain was so high yesterday it only got my recovery to 30%.

And let me tell you, this morning I felt like garbage when I woke up, so it seems to measure recovery well IMO.
Vernada
AG
Did a 6 mile ruck this morning - longest of the week. I've done only 3 or 4 mile rucks all week.

Yet today's had my lowest strain score of the week. :-/

(Similar pace for all)
lazuras_dc
AG
Vernada said:

Did a 6 mile ruck this morning - longest of the week. I've done only 3 or 4 mile rucks all week.

(Similar pace for all)

I've sort of found that over time it's harder to get strain levels as it "learns" your recovery and strain.
wealeat09
AG
Vernada said:

(Similar pace for all)
How was your recovery last night?
Vernada
AG
93%.

Today was 6miles for 10.4.

75% Friday

96% Thursday

Friday was 4 miles for 10.9
Thursday was 4 miles a for 10.6
Vernada
AG
FTR - I'm not complaining. It's just a bit of a black box and the #s aren't easy to predict and don't always act as expected.
lazuras_dc
AG
What're some of y'all doing to have lvl 10 strain by 930am without any activities? Early wake up? Or just not logging activity. Just curious.

Also despite day drinking yesterday and eating like crap the last day or two my HRV was pretty high and I had good recovery. Maybe a fluke ? I agree with veranda that it's pretty unpredictable.
wealeat09
AG
I've found it to be pretty predictable for me.

I had 30% recovery over Friday night. Went way too hard yesterday on a 50 mile ride with over a 20 strain and my recovery is only 12% today. I slept like crap and didn't get enough of it. Also my HRV was the lowest it's ever been.

I feel like it's super focused on your cardiovascular system so if you are working out in a way that doesn't give you a high heart rate it's hard for you to get high strain.
Vernada
AG
To keep on the "unpredictable " line - reference my ruck from yesterday - 6miles for 10.4.

Last Sunday I did a 5 mile ruck (different route) for a 16.7!

Average hr was certainly higher (149 v 130) last Sunday - temp was higher and the route has more elevation change.
wealeat09
AG
That HR is definitely what boosted the strain.

For example, my ride on Friday was something around 30 miles and I was up to 20.5. But yesterday's 50 miler was 19.8 because I went easier.

30 mile ride - 157 ave HR for 3.5 hours
50 mile ride - 136 ave HR for 5.75 hours
TitanAGGIE09
AG
Y'all got some time on your hands
wealeat09
AG
TitanAGGIE09 said:

Y'all got some time of your hands
Being single has some perks.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
My triathlon coach wore one for a while when he had a few customers ask about them.

He went back to the garmin. Good but Garmin is better.
kcag96
AG
The Whoop Strap won't replace my Garmin. Although, with Garmin Connect down, it's nice to have some similar features that still allows me to track activity. The Whoop mileage for runs is way off however, but may have more to do with poor cell reception in my neighborhood.
lazuras_dc
AG
One issue i've noticed a few times is that it gives me a 0.0 strain even into the afternoon. So right now at noon I'm looking at 0.0 yet I have 1,020 cals burned.

But some days as soon as I wakeup and get going I get a 1.0-ish to 2.0ish just starting the day off at 7am
Vernada
AG
kcag96 said:

The Whoop Strap won't replace my Garmin. Although, with Garmin Connect down, it's nice to have some similar features that still allows me to track activity. The Whoop mileage for runs is way off however, but may have more to do with poor cell reception in my neighborhood.
Pretty sure Whoop just uses your phone GPS - so it's not Whoop that's off here.

But I'm the same - I wear my Garmin for rucking along with Whoop.
TitanAGGIE09
AG
I think a lot of you will start seeing it becoming harder to get small amounts of strain through everyday things (not working out). As you go along and the more data you have the harder it will be to build strain outside of exercise for sure. Some of the tutorials go through that but unless you're booking it for 15min or more at a time you won't see much movement

Looks like they also came out with another update today which brought respiratory rate into the recovery equation.
lazuras_dc
AG
I had 0.0 through noon then about 2pm jumped up to like 3 with no extra effort. Must have been some lag or something.

lazuras_dc
AG
Curious how others' sleep looks?

Im generally around 90% efficiency (I do auto detect so this efficiency doesnt account for latency)
I'll usually have around 10 disturbances. I always seem to get a little spike in HR 45-90 min. into sleep where I wake up and my HR goes to about 80 bpm, my RHR is low 40's generally. Not sure if this is normal or whats happening here.
Vernada
AG
I use auto-detect too.

I'm usually high 90% for efficiency - 97% last night, 96% since I started using it.

Average 6 disturbances/night.

Looks like my HR moves from high 40s to occasional low 80s.
wealeat09
AG
I live very close to Downtown Dallas, so I have loud noises all night long happening. I get like 14-16 disturbances a night.

85% efficiency most of the time. HRV wildly fluctuates for me. And it seems perfectly linked with a high strain day or drinking the night before.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.