Metroplex
Sponsored by

2021 Spring Storms

69,010 Views | 624 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by planoaggie123
hbc07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Fox4 just said NWS was reporting 3 inch diameter hail...
Robert C. Christian
AG
culdeus
AG
Hypothetically if you set out a bucket and caught hail could you pour whiskey over it? Asking for a friend.
dgb99
AG
Done it!
Rubble
AG
Yes. I did that 4 years ago 2 days after my twins were born
powerbelly
AG
culdeus said:

Hypothetically if you set out a bucket and caught hail could you pour whiskey over it? Asking for a friend.
You could, but hail is pretty dirty.
Ervin Burrell
AG
Is there some geographic/scientific phenomenon that makes it to where the really bad sh/t is ALWAYS in the northern burbs?
akaggie05
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Is there some geographic/scientific phenomenon that makes it to where the really bad sh/t is ALWAYS in the northern burbs?

Heat island of core city.
John Francis Donaghy
Ervin Burrell said:

It's part of John Wiley Price's deal with the devil. He doesn't ever go to jail, and the northern burbs get all the bad storms and toll roads.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Ervin Burrell said:

And at night? Can't have a lunch time storm like this... always has to happen at bed time
East Dallas Ag
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

The 2019 Dallas tornado says hello.
Ervin Burrell
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Ervin Burrell said:

And at night? Can't have a lunch time storm like this... always has to happen at bed time

Almost brought this up too. The JWP explanation makes a lot of sense though
Decay
AG
Biggest hail I've had at our house in 6 years. Nasty storm.
FC12
Marbles @ 423/El Dorado
JR Ewingford
That lead supercell storm earlier put on quite the show across Northern Tarrant county. I was actually out and about and followed it up to 820 in Lake Worth. Parents got hit in Eagle Mountain. Apparently the lightning was worse than the hail for them. More stuff off SW. Not sure if it will make it but worth keeping an eye on after midnight.
zag213004
AG
I'm in haslet alliance n ft worth at 287 and 35w. We have 2" hail stones that pelted our home. Not sure if tornado touched down but the rotation was right by us. I saw the hook developing on the radar and before the sirens sounded I got the 4 kids (7month twins, 3yr old, 5 ye old) and we sheltered.

In anticipation of the storm I used bags of mulch to protect the sunroof and windshield. Looks like the car was spared except for some aerodynamic dimples I added to the hood of car
Others were not lucky and had their car glass damaged

aggielostinETX
AG
Bigger cells still out west
“A republic, if you can keep it”

AggieKatie2 said:
ETX is honestly starting to scare me a bit as someone who may be trigger happy.
culdeus
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Concrete serves as a heat sink that is slower to dissipate than bare ground. These storms are like hurricanes. They need to be over warm surfaces.

PatAg
AG
I always thought there was something to the positioning of the lakes too
Texker
AG
PatAg said:

Having lived less than a mile from a large D/FW lake for almost 3 years I agree. I know lake effect snow is a reality but I think it goes beyond that, just haven't bothered to research the theory yet.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Hondo got some small hail.

mosdefn14
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

Our last house was in a neighborhood southwest of town that frequently got bad lightning strikes. Had a lightning rod guy come out and asked a similar question. His response was something along the lines of storms have always gone where they wanted to...in the past we were smart enough not to build houses in areas that routinely took bad storms. Notice there are no native trees in this area, but a mile down the road there is a forest?

I really don't think the guy had an 8th grade education, so likely no scientific basis to that, but makes you wonder. California houses falling into the sea and all...
mosdefn14
AG
PatAg said:

Yup, the Corps of Engineers put the lakes where water could run off and collect
JR Ewingford
Radar on that storm last night was indicating 4in hail across North Ft Worth. Almost verified with a 3.25in stone in Keller. My parents underestimated hail size last night. West side of their house got shredded. Quite the storm!!
joho
My MIL's car in Keller was pulverized last night. Brought up my memories of the 1995 Mayfest storm *shudder*
Goose
AG
Using bags of mulch to protect your car is pretty ****ing smart. I'm going to remember that one for the future.
proc
AG
How did Flower Mound fare?
752bro4
AG
Goose said:

Using bags of mulch to protect your car is pretty ****ing smart. I'm going to remember that one for the future.
In classic 'bags of mulch' fashion, I'm sure I'd buy half as many as I actually needed and have to make a return trip to Home Depot.
Hood
AG
Goose said:

I see your bags of mulch and raise you a garage space.

But agreed - that's an ingenious Aggie-approved protection scheme.
Spaceship
AG
proc said:

We had 10 minutes of dime hail in Bridlewood.
Texker
AG
joho said:

My MIL's car in Keller was pulverized last night. Brought up my memories of the 1995 Mayfest storm *shudder*
That storm was BRUTAL. We spent it under cover at a Mobil station.
Wheatables02
AG
Spaceship said:

proc said:

We had 10 minutes of dime hail in Bridlewood.
Quarter to Fifty-Cent Piece size in Wellington
zag213004
AG
Round 2 coming up. Be weather aware tonight

YouBet
AG
752bro4 said:

Goose said:

In classic 'bags of mulch' fashion, I'm sure I'd buy half as many as I actually needed and have to make a return trip to Home Depot.
Ha. There are at least two Home Depot / Lowe's Axioms in my life:

1. Not buying enough mulch or soil.
2. Ultimately end up returning at least 25% of what I buy there.
JR Ewingford
I haven't really thought much about today really, should be north and east of DFW. However, one of the models had a couple of intense storms blowing up over the DFW area. Obviously, very large hail and wind gust would be likely. Guess we shall see later this afternoon.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.