Brazos Valley ~ Abandoned Places

92,695 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by goatchze
IWannaGoFast1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Sometime around...2015? I toured the whole thing. Creepy as hell and a literal death trap in places with the roof collapsed, grates open, etc...I'm amazed it hasn't been condemned.
UmustBKidding
Ya I hope their systems have been purged. Believe the -40 was ammonia refrigeration and don't need a yellow cloud floating over Texas avenue.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
EBrazosAg
AG
Best thread for this I could find……. The new Boot Barn made me think of the Boot Barn that was out on Hwy 30 if I remember correctly. Somewhere past C&J when it still had gas and before the Navasot. Seems it was on the right (south) side of highway as you went out of town. Bought some Justin ropers there once. Can't remember exactly where it was - assume it's not any of the buildings used by business out there now. Or am I totally off on where it was - it was college years and a long time ago.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rusty the Cat
jello123
FAT SEXY said:

The Kimbell Feed Co. building doesn't appear to be in the 1940's photograph and I'm 99% certain that I matched the blocks correctly.

I wonder when that building was built.
According to the Sanborn Fire Insurance Map... Kimble feed building was NOT at W 20th (Pruitt) @ N Main in 1925, but it was on the 1938 map. To view all the buildings that once occupied N Main St, this link has 1993 photos of the buildings that were once located there. Look at 500-724 N Main. https://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/Historic_Resources_Surveys/
woodiewood1
FAT SEXY said:

These buildings are all clumped together on the corner of Cherry Street and College Main.. They've been empty and boarded up for awhile and have no trespassing signs posted all over the place. I took pictures from the street. I would have gotten an aerial drone shot with my Mavic, but it is in a no fly zone.

Appears to be one house and several apartment buildings. I bet someone will read this post that actually lived there back in the day. If so, tell stories! I've actually seen similarly designed buildings in the surrounding blocks that still have residents.

I don't believe these particular buildings are long for this world.

That property was purchased a few years ago and now is for sale. Probably will end up being a three or four story apartment building.
woodiewood1
FAT SEXY said:

Recently in Bryan, near Travis Field on W Carson St an old red brick building was torn down.. I've often wondered what this buildings purpose was in the past. I never took any pictures of it, but I wish I had. This building being gone forever has made me want to document other such structures around town before they too reach a similar fate.

Gumby's Pizza.. I wonder when this forgotten icon gets remodeled or tore down. I feel like it is hiding in plain site.

I responded to this earlier in this thread.
woodiewood1
The building that has been vacant the longest in the area is probably the old bakery on Texas Ave in Bryan. I used to drive by that every day in the early 70s and smell the bread baking. I bet it's been vacant for 30 years.

Post removed:
by user
Rapier108
FAT SEXY said:

These spots that I'm highlighting aren't necessarily abandoned, but I feel like this comparison is in line with the spirit of the thread.

I noticed new construction was happening here, so I wanted to go ahead and document these lots before they are eventually redeveloped.

Here we are looking at the four blocks that straddle the intersection of E 21st Street and N Main Street in Downtown Bryan. Other than the Kimbell Feed Co. building that is pictured, these lots have been mostly empty for many many years now.

I pulled up some old aerial maps from the online TAMU library to see what the area used to look like. The source map is from 04-20-1940

https://library.tamu.edu/collections/maps/digital-collections/brazos-county-aerial-central

These lots, especially the one on the bottom left used to be loaded with buildings. I wish I could know what all used to be there 80+ years ago.

You can go to Google street view and see the area back in 2007. When you go to street view, on the top left corner, you will see a date such as "Dec. 2012". Click on that and you can change the date, in this case to November 2007. Some of the empty areas have buildings when those photos were taken in 2007.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
TChaney
I'm pretty sure the last thing on the empty lot across Main St from Kimbell feed was "Food Town" grocery store.

Post removed:
by user
PS3D
EBrazosAg said:

Best thread for this I could find……. The new Boot Barn made me think of the Boot Barn that was out on Hwy 30 if I remember correctly. Somewhere past C&J when it still had gas and before the Navasot. Seems it was on the right (south) side of highway as you went out of town. Bought some Justin ropers there once. Can't remember exactly where it was - assume it's not any of the buildings used by business out there now. Or am I totally off on where it was - it was college years and a long time ago.
The modern Boot Barn is a chain that bought Baskin's about a decade ago. However, there was an independent "Boot Barn" out on FM 1179 near Steephollow in the mid-1980s.
EBrazosAg
AG
Thanks. I suspected it was not on 30 but somewhere else on the E side of town.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
aTmneal
AG
Wasn't there some sort of idea for an entertainment district in that part of Bryan at one time? I had heard it was going to be anchored by the old ice house at the end of the street.

Maybe I'm crazy but I always thought that's why everything got moved and torn down in that area.
EliteElectric
I've been here since 92 and this place has always been empty

Post removed:
by user
GoneGirl
AG
EclipseAg said:

PS3D said:

FAT SEXY said:

Built as a Randalls in 1991...sold to Albertsons in 1997...closed in 2011.
I believe there used to be a bowling alley on that site, back in the '80s. Does anyone else remember that?
No, it was across the side street. Between there and the Hilton.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
maroon barchetta
FAT SEXY said:

Spotted this chair and 2 empty O'Doul's in front of the now defunct "Rice Garden" and thought it would make for a decent enough update to the thread.

Never ate at this place

The hotel directly behind this place is also abandoned.

Those hotel buildings aren't part of the La Quinta?
AggiePhil
AG
Yeah those are La Quinta buildings. Still being used AFAIK.
Post removed:
by user
Drewmeister
AG
The Rice Garden was previously Vy's Kitchen, and before that, Vietnamese Taste, which (early 2010s?) moved out there from the restaurant/washateria building on College Main. The menu was largely the same in all three incarnations. Decent food, but nothing special IMO; I did like their Vietnamese iced coffee though.

It was several other restaurants before that (I think maybe a seafood place), but I don't really remember.

This reminds me, RIP Pho John's. Haven't found anything here recently that compares.
AggiePhil
AG
Drewmeister said:

The Rice Garden was previously Vy's Kitchen, and before that, Vietnamese Taste, which (early 2010s?) moved out there from the restaurant/washateria building on College Main. The menu was largely the same in all three incarnations. Decent food, but nothing special IMO; I did like their Vietnamese iced coffee though.

It was several other restaurants before that (I think maybe a seafood place), but I don't really remember.

This reminds me, RIP Pho John's. Haven't found anything here recently that compares.

College Station Seafood
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
I used to live right over there in the mid 90s. It always seemed like industrial type stuff with very few signs.
Chris98
AG
Believe it use to be a shoe factory of some sort
PS3D
Chris98 said:

Believe it use to be a shoe factory of some sort
Heels for shoes, actually. I think they closed by the late 1980s but as late as 2001 the railroad tracks were still visible in the road as they crossed Finfeather. Here's an article about the plant as it existed in the mid-1980s, along with a choice quote:

Quote:

When we visited the plant in June 1981, we thought we had died and somehow ended up in hell. The plant impressed us as something from a Dickens novel; steam escaping from leaks everywhere, tunnels filled with vapor clouds formed by uninsulated chilled water lines in contact with live steam, a screaming steam jet refrigeration unit (which we had never even heard of before) and a plant covered with carbon black particles.
jello123
Jan 14, 1953 Eagle https://ibb.co/nkVR2Vf
war hymn aggie
AG
Mrs Jones was my Algebra II teacher at Consol back in '79.
At the time, she seemed like a hardass but I saw her several times over the years after and she was a completely different person than what I had remembered her to be while @ Consol.
Very kind & sweet.

Speaking of abandoned places around town, what about the old nursing home on Anderson between Holleman & SW Parkway. It's been abandoned for several years. Magnified or something similar was it's name. Always wondered if the govt shut it down or it just went bankrupt.
TChaney
This restaurant originally opened as La Baronena Ranch Steakhouse.

It was owned and run by the same person as Taco Cabana at the time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.