Brazos Valley ~ Abandoned Places

93,243 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by goatchze
MS08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cool thread. Following.
Post removed:
by user
AggiePhil
AG
FAT SEXY said:

There are still remnants of an old road in this pasture that is sandwiched by Northpoint, Century Square and The Gardens Apartments. Multiple street lights still linger.

It has a "TAMU University Apartments - Hensel" tag on Google Maps.

Coordinates: 30.629357, -96.340584

The blue line in this pic represents where the road used to be(as far as I can tell- I could be slightly off).. The yellow arrows are pointing towards the lingering(defunct) street lights.

Road Entrance

A couple of the street lights

Those were actually parking lots for the apartments there.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
maroon barchetta
Correct.

That trend has continued with the apartments that replaced them.

North side of University has been like that for decades. Particularly Casa Del Sol.

Word gets out and that community sticks together.
AggiePhil
AG
Huh?
maroon barchetta
Which part is confusing?
AggiePhil
AG
What trend were you referring to?
Post removed:
by user
halibut sinclair
Married Student Housing is what it used to be called.
jello123
There is a home/house that I have been curious about for sometime. It appears to have some structural issues in this photo. It is located between Lawrence St and Ethel Blvd in Bryan. It seems to be landlocked and attached to the property that was once Allen/Olds/Cadillac. Any clues about its history?

https://ibb.co/VMCcHDV
https://goo.gl/maps/uZxPRtoYcCMNTQhT9

Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
EBrazosAg
AG
Was that a Fox Photo back in the 80s ? I know there was one over there somewhere…..
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
UmustBKidding
Don't think that was fox foto, though it was pickup location for mr gagme's at the time of construction. Fnb bryan ceased to exist in 2007 when Franklin bankshares purchase it.
Steampunk-Kangaroo
FAT SEXY said:

It really seems like one of the better places in B/CS for one of those "Urban Exploration" style spooky videos and/or ghost hunting.

I'd consider braving it and going in their at night for a video, but I think I'm more scared of getting a trespassing ticket than anything else.
That's exactly what I wanted to say. I'd love to get into urban exploration and save up for a nice DSLR camera so I can take some beautiful pictures. I always loved abandoned buildings and the aesthetic of them - but unfortunately I don't have any friends or known about any urbexing groups here so I haven't been able to do it.

But yeah I'm terrified of being arrested for trespassing or something too tbh. I know there's a way other urban explorers deal with that but I'm not sure what it is besides making a lot of phone calls to people and trying to figure out who owns that land
--- Go and try, you'll never break me! ---
Steampunk-Kangaroo
I've been meaning to ask... is there an urban exploration group for B/CS? If not I think we should start one
AggiePhil
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Don't think that was fox foto, though it was pickup location for mr gagme's at the time of construction. Fnb bryan ceased to exist in 2007 when Franklin bankshares purchase it.

What was Mr. Gagne's? Also, First National Bank is still around. It's the same as First Convenience Bank, which is in a lot of Walmart stores (including ours).
UmustBKidding
That was an atm of first national bank of bryan not first national bank of texas that still exists. Here is the lineage of fnb bryan https://www.usbanklocations.com/the-first-national-bank-of-bryan-3119.shtml
Mr gatti's affectionately gagme's was just north of ihop and had no place for a drive through in their building.
UmustBKidding
Actually brazos cad shows it was built in 1974 so that predates me moving here by four years. Still owned by Culpeper who owns most of that area.
PS3D
Yeah, the little building was the "Pizzamat", the drive-through component of Mr. Gatti's (which was where Schlotzsky's is now). Looks like it also served as a miniature Shipley's and sno-cone stand at various points in time.

I would wager the ATM closed shortly before they cut off road access to it.

FAT SEXY said:

The post that you replied to was about a building that just got leveled. That thing was gone within two weeks of me posting that. Man, it would have been really neat to explore the inside of that one too(and a little scary)

I don't think there is a group. Just probably a few lone rangers such as myself.. Like you said, you really need to be diligent on calling people and getting permission. Getting a trespassing ticket wouldn't be fun. Plus, there isn't a plethora of great places to explore in this town. That nursing home(gone), the old shoe factory and the old Baskin Robbins plant would probably have been the best three for such things as far as places in this thread go.

Then again, exploring old, abandoned houses could be neat as well and there are plenty of those around here. You could also think outside of the box and look for abandoned cemeteries. I know of one that is completely forgotten about and tucked away in some woods. I will be adding it to this thread if I can ever get permission to go there.

I don't even know how to start going about getting permission on some of these things though.

If we lived in a place like Baltimore we would never run out of source material. Slimmer pickings around here. That's why I labeled the thread as "Brazos Valley" instead of "B/CS".. Gives a little more area to explore.

Feel free to shoot me an email sometime.. it's listed on my profile.

The nursing home was finally torn down?
jello123
PS3D said:

Yeah, the little building was the "Pizzamat", the drive-through component of Mr. Gatti's (which was where Schlotzsky's is now). Looks like it also served as a miniature Shipley's and sno-cone stand at various points in time.

I would wager the ATM closed shortly before they cut off road access to it.

FAT SEXY said:

The post that you replied to was about a building that just got leveled. That thing was gone within two weeks of me posting that. Man, it would have been really neat to explore the inside of that one too(and a little scary)

I don't think there is a group. Just probably a few lone rangers such as myself.. Like you said, you really need to be diligent on calling people and getting permission. Getting a trespassing ticket wouldn't be fun. Plus, there isn't a plethora of great places to explore in this town. That nursing home(gone), the old shoe factory and the old Baskin Robbins plant would probably have been the best three for such things as far as places in this thread go.

Then again, exploring old, abandoned houses could be neat as well and there are plenty of those around here. You could also think outside of the box and look for abandoned cemeteries. I know of one that is completely forgotten about and tucked away in some woods. I will be adding it to this thread if I can ever get permission to go there.

I don't even know how to start going about getting permission on some of these things though.

If we lived in a place like Baltimore we would never run out of source material. Slimmer pickings around here. That's why I labeled the thread as "Brazos Valley" instead of "B/CS".. Gives a little more area to explore.

The nursing home was finally torn down?
Indeed it was built as part of the Mr Gatti's restaurant next door. It was where you could drive up and pick up your pizza and referred to as Pizzamat - To Go (see lower right of attached). Ad from mid 1970's. https://ibb.co/6W4kFwr
AggiePhil
AG
I got to explore and photograph the old Rock Prairie Baptist Church (think that's what it was called) where Baylor Scott & White is now, before they tore it down. Too bad this forum doesn't allow photo uploading or I'd throw up some of the pics. To lazy to use Photobucket.

Steampunk-Kangaroo said:

FAT SEXY said:

I'd consider braving it and going in their at night for a video, but I think I'm more scared of getting a trespassing ticket than anything else.
That's exactly what I wanted to say. I'd love to get into urban exploration and save up for a nice DSLR camera so I can take some beautiful pictures. I always loved abandoned buildings and the aesthetic of them - but unfortunately I don't have any friends or known about any urbexing groups here so I haven't been able to do it.

But yeah I'm terrified of being arrested for trespassing or something too tbh. I know there's a way other urban explorers deal with that but I'm not sure what it is besides making a lot of phone calls to people and trying to figure out who owns that land

There used to be a web forum called UER (urban exploration resource) that had a Texas sub forum. Unsure if it's still around but look there first.
Slagathor
AG
Just wanted to say thank you for sharing this website. I was able to find my mom's and both of her parents' childhood homes in rural DeWitt County. Vintage aerials are an intersection of my interests - GIS and local/family history. I've spent all morning on here and haven't looked up half the places I want to yet.
nwspmp
Does anyone know anything about the house behind the small strip center on Texas with Chubby's Public House and Cindies and such?

There's a house on the land between that strip center and the Ag Shack type houses that have popped up that looked abandoned for a while, and then went through some work, but I've never seen any sort of life from it.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/600+E+North+Ave,+Bryan,+TX+77801/@30.6370792,-96.3481267,143m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m6!3m5!1s0x864683c348706247:0xedb83a6d37090e99!8m2!3d30.6370744!4d-96.3479716!16s%2Fg%2F11c1cc3_12?entry=ttu

600 E North Ave.

BrazosCAD has it going all "Confidential" in 2008, which is something I've not seen in my somewhat limited time on BrazosCAD.

https://esearch.brazoscad.org/Property/View/305083?year=2023
maroon barchetta
Get a star.

Upload photos all you want!

trouble
AG
I've seen confidential a few times. All of the ones I know personally are either cops or connected to the DA/courthouse in some way.

I have no idea about the house on North
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

I've seen confidential a few times. All of the ones I know personally are either cops or connected to the DA/courthouse in some way.

I have no idea about the house on North

Yep
Steampunk-Kangaroo
FAT SEXY said:

Someone suggested a forum called Urban Exploring Resources (or something like that) and they had a Texas section. I'll have to look into that, maybe ask them a question about how to avoid trespassing tickets.

Yeah... Having anyone who's into this too is better than nobody at least! I think I might just reach out via email.
It would be really awesome to get enough people together to go explore some of them. And I've seen some really cool looking old houses I'd love to see. And I never would've considered cemeteries. Even though there wouldn't be much to see there besides the old gravestones that could still make for some really good photos.

I didn't know the nursing home was gone - but to be fair I haven't been on that end of town in a while. Shame, it seems like it would have been a cool place to look around. But yeah, the Baskin Robbins plant and the shoe factory would be really cool to explore and take pictures at.
BlueMiles
AG
I hope I'm not wrong on this but I think this house was to be given away if someone agreed to move it from the property. Anyone else remember seeing that, years ago?
MiMi
S
Quote:

BrazosCAD has it going all "Confidential" in 2008, which is something I've not seen in my somewhat limited time on BrazosCAD.
There is a house on my street that the owner info is marked 'Confidential' on Brazos CAD. A Texas state trooper lives there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.