Brazos Valley ~ Abandoned Places

93,036 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by goatchze
Post removed:
by user
oklaunion
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Slocum on a mobile said:

FAT SEXY said:

Any folk know if there is a clear, concise boundary for what is considered the "Brazos Valley"??

Set parameters may be beneficial for this thread in the future.

I've always considered it Brazos the seven county area around it:

Brazos
Grimes
Washington
Robertson
Leon
Burleson
Madison
Milam

The weather guys on the news include Lee and Houston, Walker, etc., but I don't subscribe to that notion.
I can see Lee included as it is actually in the Brazos River drainage. But KBTX often refers to San Jacinto, Trinity, Polk and Anderson counties as the eastern side of the Brazos Valley. When in fact some of those counties are 2 additional rivers drainages east of Brazos. They even zoomed in on Woodville and Jasper a couple of days ago and said there were showers there on the eastern edge of the Brazos Valley.
For someone who gets ultra anal about 'feels like temps' and records, the chief sure takes geographical liberties.
toolshed
AG
Anyone know the history of this abandoned building west of Hearne on 485 at 1644. I assume an old general store of sorts that served the surrounding farming communities years ago. Wondering if there was an actual townsite there or just this building. I imagine there was more of a community closer to the river at one time and then it moved to be nearer to the railroad, similar to Boonville and downtown Bryan. But only a guess on my part.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Chrundle the Great
AG
That was quick
CN
Slocum on a mobile said:

One more for the "front for drugs" thread:

The Chinese fast food place that was also a minimart on Wellborn that became Twin City Mission's CS location before being torn down for luxury student housing.
Me and my roommates used to eat there all of the time in the early 90s! We lived across the tracks in Treehouse Village. If I remember right, it was kind of Panda Express style where they have a few entrees out and you picked which ones you wanted? I can't remember if we actually ate there or grabbed it to go.
oklaunion
It was a nightclub during the late 70s disco craze.
GoneGirl
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

I swear that building was just a front for running drugs

"Tell me you're a local without telling me you're a local"

I guess I count as one after all these years

Other supposed "fronts for drugs" include:
The old Popeye's on Barron (Now Marcos Pizza)
The old buffet where Fargo's is now
Any others?
Potato Shack at the corner of Texas and Rosemary.
"If you're in the midst of a midlife crisis, you could buy a convertible, have an affair, or upgrade your cup size. But you'll probably be happiest if you save a dog's life." - Jen Lancaster
Ag_B_10
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

It was once a gas station / store.

[url]Here's some pics of the inside: https://kathiesees.wordpress.com/2019/01/15/exploration-dilapidated-gas-station-texas/
[/url]
There was a town on the river called Port Sullivan, but it's long abandoned.

If anyone ever wondered what those big concrete blocks are in the river just north of where 485 crosses it, those were locks used over 100 years ago when Port Sullivan was still a town. You can see the site on the map shown on the link post by Slocum on a Mobile.

[url] [/url]

BMo
Not abandoned completely but abandoned as a dairy. The Lilly Dairy property appears to be privately owned now. Anyone know? Is Lilly even in business anymore?
Corporal Punishment
AG
CN said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

The Chinese fast food place that was also a minimart on Wellborn that became Twin City Mission's CS location before being torn down for luxury student housing.
Me and my roommates used to eat there all of the time in the early 90s! We lived across the tracks in Treehouse Village. If I remember right, it was kind of Panda Express style where they have a few entrees out and you picked which ones you wanted? I can't remember if we actually ate there or grabbed it to go.
I ate there in the early 90's. The windows on the front had bars on them so my friends would call me up to eat at the "Chinese Jail." Nice folks ran the place.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Great place to stop and take a leak behind it. Don't tell anyone.
Aggie
AG
toolshed said:

Anyone know the history of this abandoned building west of Hearne on 485 at 1644. I assume an old general store of sorts that served the surrounding farming communities years ago. Wondering if there was an actual townsite there or just this building. I imagine there was more of a community closer to the river at one time and then it moved to be nearer to the railroad, similar to Boonville and downtown Bryan. But only a guess on my part.

Was told that was at one time a small general store but also a bar.

There is also an old abandoned bar out in Mumford at the corner of Sandy Point and 50
BMo
BMo said:

Not abandoned completely but abandoned as a dairy. The Lilly Dairy property appears to be privately owned now. Anyone know? Is Lilly even in business anymore?
No one?
one MEEN Ag
AG
Those tan buildings looks exactly like the quadplexes I lived in, but over on spring loop behind the Hilton. I bet it's just the same developer and those saw some harder livin than the grad students who tended to frequent the ones I lived in. Back in 2014 my roommate and I paid a total of $525 a month for rent and they were making a fat profit compared to how little maintenance and updating they cared to do.
woodiewood1
FAT SEXY said:

Recently in Bryan, near Travis Field on W Carson St an old red brick building was tore down.. I've often wondered what its purpose was in the past. I never took any pictures of it, but I wish I had. This building being gone forever has made me want to document other such structures around town before they too reach a similar fate.

Gumby's Pizza.. I wonder when this forgotten icon gets remodeled or tore down. I feel like it is hiding in plain site.

Gumby's is owned by Whataburger properties. The plan is to eventually build anothe Whataburger that faces Texas Avenue with three drive throughs. WB also own the vacant lot on Texas Ave next to Whataburger and WB associates own two properties on GB drive.
superunknown
AG
Corporal Punishment said:

CN said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

I ate there in the early 90's. The windows on the front had bars on them so my friends would call me up to eat at the "Chinese Jail." Nice folks ran the place.

Piknik Pantry?
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Aggie said:

Was told that was at one time a small general store but also a bar.

There is also an old abandoned bar out in Mumford at the corner of Sandy Point and 50
Capture it and document it here if you get a chance.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
dwaynego
AG
WE have a local "ghost town" at the meeting point of FM 485 and the Brazos River - Port Sullivan. There is some near history about it here
Donny Hall
used to be able to say the bowie school was my favorite abandoned building but now its kimball feed i suppose
Donny Hall
dwaynego said:

WE have a local "ghost town" at the meeting point of FM 485 and the Brazos River - Port Sullivan. There is some near history about it here
i prefer gay hill
Post removed:
by user
halibut sinclair
FAT SEXY said:

This is a place that most of us would recognize. It's right off of Texas Avenue close to the intersection with University... Across the road from Northpoint and the hotels there.

Do any folks know what it was in the past? It's been empty for as long as I can remember.

That's the original Tom's BBQ building.

ETA: guess not
UmustBKidding
I say nope it was slightly further south next to a&w
halibut sinclair
UmustBKidding said:

I say nope it was slightly further south next to a&w

Aren't those 2 hotels right next to this building where A&W and Tastee-Freeze were located? That would line up, then.
UmustBKidding
As i recall it was south pf a&w, and remember the track hoe our smashing the building thinking a loss of late 70s aggie lore.
Have not seen any of the beltrans for many years. Saw tom and he was back driving a truck and john was more recent but was very ill at the time.but that was over 20 yr ago.

halibut sinclair
UmustBKidding said:

As i recall it was south pf a&w, and remember the track hoe our smashing the building thinking a loss of late 70s aggie lore.
Have not seen any of the beltrans for many years. Saw tom and he was back driving a truck and john was more recent but was very ill at the time.but that was over 20 yr ago.

Possibly so - Google says the above address was Aggieland Realty at some point.
halibut sinclair

4613 Texas - apparently right next door where the Fairfield Inn is now.
UmustBKidding
Online says A&W was 4611, I knew they were adjacent and order seems right. Remember the toms building was torn down long before the drive in.
where is ps3d to resolve all this
EBrazosAg
AG
I thought it was a realtors office back in the late 80s.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rapier108
EBrazosAg said:

I thought it was a realtors office back in the late 80s.
It was and into the early 90s.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.