Brazos Valley ~ Abandoned Places

92,972 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by goatchze
Jason_InfinityRoofer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have nothing to add to this thread except that I ate the ever loving hell out of Gumby's on Sundays when I got back to Dorm 11. It was my last true relaxation before A-Co smoked us all week. hahahha
Post removed:
by user
Goat Man
AG
AggiePhil said:

cajunken said:

Those are state-owned buildings - DPS or TXDOT.

TXDOT
AggiePhil is correct. TxDOT was using these buildings as their campus not too long ago. Or maybe it has been a long time and I am just old now.
cajunken
Goat Man said:

" I am just old now."
I feel for you, brother. I'm saying that more often than I'd like these days.
AggiePhil
AG
Correct. Jimmy John's is in the old Egg Roll House building, though all they kept was the slab and frame.
trouble
AG
I swear that building was just a front for running drugs
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

"Tell me you're a local without telling me you're a local"

I guess I count as one after all these years
AndesAg92
AG
halibut sinclair said:

FAT SEXY said:

Recently in Bryan, near Travis Field on W Carson St an old red brick building was tore down.. I've often wondered what its purpose was in the past. I never took any pictures of it, but I wish I had. This building being gone forever has made me want to document other such structures around town before they too reach a similar fate.

Gumby's Pizza.. I wonder when this forgotten icon gets remodeled or tore down. I feel like it is hiding in plain site.

Also known as the CS Pepe's.

Gumby's is no more?
TexAg1987
Slocum on a mobile said:

Taken from a site found with "the Google"

In February 1976, Taco Torch opened a location at 200 University Drive East, part of a small chain of fast-food Mexican chains in central Texas, but the College Station didn't last too long and by 1980 it was operating as Egg Roll House. It closed sometime in the very late 1990s and sat abandoned for several years before it was gutted and rebuilt as Jimmy John's in the late 2000s.
abandoned is an overstatement. If you looked in the windows, you could see that it was set up like a house. I think someone was living in it.
halibut sinclair
AndesAg92 said:

halibut sinclair said:

FAT SEXY said:

Recently in Bryan, near Travis Field on W Carson St an old red brick building was tore down.. I've often wondered what its purpose was in the past. I never took any pictures of it, but I wish I had. This building being gone forever has made me want to document other such structures around town before they too reach a similar fate.

Gumby's Pizza.. I wonder when this forgotten icon gets remodeled or tore down. I feel like it is hiding in plain site.

Also known as the CS Pepe's.

Gumby's is no more?
Gumby's moved to the former Wolfie's/original Ninfa's location on Harvey Rd. in the old Toys R Us shopping center.
PS3D
Slocum on a mobile said:

In February 1976, Taco Torch opened a location at 200 University Drive East, part of a small chain of fast-food Mexican chains in central Texas, but the College Station didn't last too long and by 1980 it was operating as Egg Roll House. It closed sometime in the very late 1990s and sat abandoned for several years before it was gutted and rebuilt as Jimmy John's in the late 2000s.
The site is here and includes a picture of the location (as Jimmy John's), as well as others along the same corridor. Looks like a pretty cool site, really. I wonder who runs it.
Well, okay then
AG
PS3D said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

The site is here and includes a picture of the location (as Jimmy John's), as well as others along the same corridor. Looks like a pretty cool site, really. I wonder who runs it.

Thanks for running that site!
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
Lemme think. I'm sure I know more
halibut sinclair
The original Ferrari's Italian on Texas in the area of Torchy's/Canes back in the 60s.

The whole city of Hearne.
Maveric
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

Other supposed "fronts for drugs" include:
The old Popeye's on Barron (Now Marcos Pizza)
The old buffet where Fargo's is now
Any others?
The old Long John Silvers that was behind Harvey Washbangers (then Mazzios) on Harvey.
Fleen
If you Facebook, try this group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/199911356729314/?ref=share
Post removed:
by user
histag10
AG
Much like the red lobster, where people forgot it existed before they defaulted on their rent
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

Any others?

The Chinese restaurant on University next to Pizza Hut that is now an Autozone. I think it was called Egg Roll House, but could be mistaken.
halibut sinclair
A Net Full of Jello said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

Slocum on a mobile said:

trouble said:

Any others?

The Chinese restaurant on Texas next to Pizza Hut that is now an Autozone. I think it was called Egg Roll House, but could be mistaken.
University Drive, not Texas. Going east was Pizza Hut, Sonic and then Egg Roll House. Sonic spot is now a Brake Check, Egg Roll house is Jimmy John's.
happyinBCS
I loved the Egg roll house went at least once a week old Chinese couple she took the money and he cooked in his t shirt and yes there was always talk about it a being a front for something but I never witnessed anything but good sweet and sour chicken and fried rice
trouble
AG
You might be the first person I've known who actually ate there
taxpreparer
AG
The Lees owned and operated The Eggroll House. They were good people.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Post removed:
by user
BCStalk
taxpreparer said:

Didn't they own the restaurant at 29th and Broadmoor back in the 90s?
trouble
AG
BCStalk said:

taxpreparer said:

Didn't they own the restaurant at 29th and Broadmoor back in the 90s?

Sing Lee! And I believe so.
Post removed:
by user
PS3D
FAT SEXY said:

I had made a thread on the board a few weeks ago about this place, and there were some decent musings about it, but I figured I should post it in here as well for posterity's sake.

This building was once an Albertson's. It is located off of University Drive, across from Lions Park in CS.. It closed in 2010(I was working there at the time) and hasn't been re-opened as anything else since. 10 years collecting dust. It's in a solid spot too.

I'm not sure if it was something else before becoming an Albertson's.

I believe at one point there were 4 Albertsons in B/CS? I may be mistaken on the number. There are none now and this was the last of them to fall.

Built as a Randalls in 1991...sold to Albertsons in 1997...closed in 2011. H-E-B holds a long-term lease on the building, and last I heard it was owned by the A+ Tutoring owner for a parking lot. (I'm not sure how COVID has affected that).

At peak there were only three Albertsons stores, this one, the one in Bryan (later Walmart Neighborhood Market) and the other one in College Station (the one partially demolished for Walmart and later Altitude Trampoline Park). There were plans to reopen the Albertsons at College Avenue and University in the early 2000s (renderings were drawn up and a store number were given) but nothing ever happened, presumably because of the company's struggles around that time.
Post removed:
by user
Rexter
A couple of notes

CS Long John Silver was not behind Mazzios. It was where the building containing Verizon Wireless sits.

Egg Roll House wasn't owned by the Lee family. They did own Sing Lee on 29th. When they closed, Mrs Lee retired, Chel moved to San Francisco, and I don't recall where Chang went. They were very nice folks.

Egg Roll House wasn't abandoned. The owners lived there until it sold to JJ.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.