Brazos Valley ~ Abandoned Places

93,059 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by goatchze
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, I mentioned that it was Aggieland Realty.
PS3D
No, Tom's BBQ (and A&W) was where Fairfield Inn is now.
Dumbfounded
The Aggieland realty building used to be owned by the Vetters, I believe.

Across the street from that building was the Kettle and the miniature golf course.
UmustBKidding
the dutch kettle, not related to the current kettle restaurants
https://texags.com/forums/5/topics/2717716/replies/45375503
Dumbfounded
Yep, that's the one. My girlfriend, now my wife of 40+ years, both lived right behind A & W Root Beer. We would sneak out of our respective homes and frequent the Dutch Kettle. We were in our early teens and i recall the wait staff weren't' quite sure how to handle us youngsters - wtf are they doing out this late?
Steampunk-Kangaroo
Those pictures were so cool! I always loved urban exploration and wanted to try it myself, but I never knew anybody who was more experienced with it to show me the ropes (and in fact, just didn't have anybody to bring with me) or really knew how to begin.
Steampunk-Kangaroo
I'm pretty sure this warehouse at 2536 Finfeather Road is still abandoned, right? It looks pretty abandoned to me. I used to pass it all the time, since I used to live down the road a ways from it when I was a teenager and it was still abandoned then too.
I think this other warehouse across from Post Oak Mall at 1556 Holleman Drive East is abandoned too, isn't it?
(I don't know why the Google Earth screenshots keep showing up as the broken image icon so here's the whole Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/HmlOX4c)
Rexter
BMo said:

Not abandoned completely but abandoned as a dairy. The Lilly Dairy property appears to be privately owned now. Anyone know? Is Lilly even in business anymore?

Lilly was bought out by Oak Farms
Rapier108
The building near POM was the Sears Service Center.

The building on Finfeather was the International Shoe Company many many decades ago. There was even a rail line that crossed Finfeather and went to the building. The part crossing Finfeather was removed probably late 80s/early 90s, but I think there is still a bit of it remains next to the main line.

According to Google, Foundation Building Materials is using at least part of the building.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Post removed:
by user
UmustBKidding
Was a popular Thai place for many years and a washateria
UmustBKidding
The Baskin Robbins plant on texas i believe is still abandoned. Had a friend that was qc manager there and you could count on large quantities of ice cream available when you got invited to dinner there.
PS3D
Rapier108 said:

The building near POM was the Sears Service Center.

The building on Finfeather was the International Shoe Company many many decades ago. There was even a rail line that crossed Finfeather and went to the building. The part crossing Finfeather was removed probably late 80s/early 90s, but I think there is still a bit of it remains next to the main line.

According to Google, Foundation Building Materials is using at least part of the building.

The rail line was still embedded in the road as late as maybe 2001-2002, though the line was clearly abandoned on both sides, no signage or road marks. When they repaved the road it was clearly just over it, you can still see the rails on the side and there is a very subtle bump.
rednecked
AG
I lived in apts that looked exactly like those when I was at A&M. Probably 1990. Very close to those but on First st.
tb9665
Behind that gas station was an Albertsons and then a Walmart Neighborhood Store. It seems like nothing can make it in that area of Bryan too long.
AggiePhil
AG
Yeah, that's it. There's still a 31 flavors logo on a little brick sign at the front of the building along Texas.
91_Aggie
AG
FYI the current iteration of Dunkin Donuts and Baskin Robbins have nothing to do with the Dunkins and Baskins you grew up.

they were bought and Corporatized into massive operations and nothing "fresh" is ever made a Dunkin now.

No more "time to make to donuts" in each store.

All shipped in frozen.
91_Aggie
AG
FAT SEXY said:

This building is located on College Main.. It has been abandoned for several years now.

The sign that is all busted up now used to read "Vietnamese Taste"... I'm not sure when that restaurant closed or what was located in this spot before it.

Any folks eat there back in the day? Good noodles?

This was a Washateria on the left side and Thai Taste on the Right.

I spent a lot dinners and lunches at Thai Taste.

The owners closed for a while, then reopened again on South college in that building that is out in front of Hurricane Harry's... but closed fairly quickly again.

Haven't found Pad Mhee Kao as good as theirs since.
UmustBKidding
Was an interesting place back in the 80's. They had a person who's at least part of their job was to open things. One time they were preparing to make coffee ice cream and the opener was cutting open maryland club coffee pouches by the hundreds for their their coffee percolator that was at least 15 feet tall. Same person opened packages of oreos on oreo icecream day.
They had typical 0f degree freezer and a -40f hardening one. Row of parkas for those working in them. Went in in shirt sleeves for a few minutes, very cold. Came out into 0 and felt like hot summer day. Was going to walk into the normal AC and guy said you need to adjust until 0 is cold before you leave. Guess passing out going from -40 to 70 was a thing.
UmustBKidding
Think Sears made it 30+ years, and Central Texas Hardware probably 10-15. But no its not the hotspot of Bryan anymore, midtown or not. The thought that putting the power lines underground is going to help is also totally stupid.
Rex Racer
AG
UmustBKidding said:

Was a popular Thai place for many years and a washateria

Yes, it was called Thai Taste. I used the washateria for years when I was a student.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Old thread on the Baskin Robbins plant I found while googling it myself:

https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/1109737

Not much Baskin Robbin discussion, but a fun read on how we can't support a microbrewery 5 years before blackwater draw officially opened.
MiMi
S
Quote:

Not much Baskin Robbin discussion, but a fun read on how we can't support a microbrewery 5 years before blackwater draw officially opened.
RIP Brazos Brewing Company. Loved that place in the mid-1990s. It was located where Blue Baker on Dominik is now. I still have one of their T-shirts.
Post removed:
by user
scd88
AG
I'm fascinated by stuff like this. Would love to go in and see what's left. I wonder stuff like:

Who lived here?
What's their story?
What happened to them?
Etc.

Slagathor
AG
CAD says it's owned by the life estate of this woman, who died very recently: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/college-station-tx/patricia-jones-10802428
trouble
AG
What a well lived life!
Rex Racer
AG
Slagathor said:

CAD says it's owned by the life estate of this woman, who died very recently: https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/college-station-tx/patricia-jones-10802428
Ah, that's Brice Jones' grandmother. Brice used to work for TexAgs as a recruiting analyst and was often on the radio, as well. I think he still is sometimes one of Louie Belina's guests.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
Well Brice Jones' grandmother sounds like she was one awesome person to have known.
duffelpud
AG
The area know as 'fiscal responsibility' at CS city hall - abandoned for some time.
"What's this button do?"
duffelpud
AG
UmustBKidding said:

The Baskin Robbins plant on texas i believe is still abandoned. Had a friend that was qc manager there and you could count on large quantities of ice cream available when you got invited to dinner there.

Welkner?
"What's this button do?"
UmustBKidding
Yep
maroon barchetta
trouble said:

What a well lived life!

Really an amazing obit! She sounded like a hoot!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.