Brazos Valley ~ Abandoned Places

93,034 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by goatchze
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
College Station now has TWO abandoned hotels, the Quality Suites over on Highway 6 (at Ponderosa) and Four Points by Sheraton (Texas Avenue near Dominik). I like to think the latter will be demolished for an In-N-Out Burger (it's near campus, like they wanted) but I guess I can dream...
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
AggiePhil
AG
I'm sure there was a ColorTyme Rentals there at one point. Bryan has lots of old abandoned signs up around town.
UmustBKidding
The quality had fire suppression piping burst on an unused top floor several years ago destroying basically anything that was not concrete or masonry in the whole building. But was by there a few months ago and looked like they were taking in lots of drywall and other materials i assume to rebuild.
Bob2525
Post Oak Mall
https://instagr.am/p/CR6eHa9Igsv
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Geralt of Rivia
S
Man, this thread is like being taken back to my childhood
Harkrider 93
AG
PS3D said:

FAT SEXY said:

I had made a thread on the board a few weeks ago about this place, and there were some decent musings about it, but I figured I should post it in here as well for posterity's sake.

This building was once an Albertson's. It is located off of University Drive, across from Lions Park in CS.. It closed in 2010(I was working there at the time) and hasn't been re-opened as anything else since. 10 years collecting dust. It's in a solid spot too.

I'm not sure if it was something else before becoming an Albertson's.

I believe at one point there were 4 Albertsons in B/CS? I may be mistaken on the number. There are none now and this was the last of them to fall.

Built as a Randalls in 1991...sold to Albertsons in 1997...closed in 2011. H-E-B holds a long-term lease on the building, and last I heard it was owned by the A+ Tutoring owner for a parking lot. (I'm not sure how COVID has affected that).

At peak there were only three Albertsons stores, this one, the one in Bryan (later Walmart Neighborhood Market) and the other one in College Station (the one partially demolished for Walmart and later Altitude Trampoline Park). There were plans to reopen the Albertsons at College Avenue and University in the early 2000s (renderings were drawn up and a store number were given) but nothing ever happened, presumably because of the company's struggles around that time.
I know that was a store in '89. Pretty sure it was a Skaggs Alpha Beta at the time. Bought my fish gear there with my other fish buddies. Also had to call them, Kroger, and Piggly Wiggly to get beer prices for the Zips. Maybe I am off a bit on exact spot in that center.

Loved the drive thru Shipleys that used to be a Kodak photo development.
goatchze
AG
bco2003 said:

ontheedge said:

FAT SEXY said:

I'd love to metal detect that spot. Guaranteed to find a few old coins.

ETA: If anybody reads this and is good at telling house ages from build style, give this one a shot! I'd really love to know more about it.
I haven't been by in a while because they had been working on the road. I know they had been doing other work along there so it may have been dozed. It was beginning to get harder to see since it was falling in on itself.

I'd sure be interested in information about it as well.
Got bored so was looking further. You may have already been looking at the CAD info on the property since you are aware it is now owned by Ed Froeling Builders. However, the CAD data shows the 134 acres and the house was previously owned by Frank Merka until 2014. No prior owner listed.

The adjacent/serving road to the property is Merka Rd, so appears to have been in the Merka family going back a ways.

I found this obituary that a Frank Merka passed away in 1961, and appears to have had another son maybe named Frank Merka. That's all I've got though.
Frank Merka purchased that land as part of a larger parcel in 1937 from E C and Winnie Dell Martin.

I'm no architecture buff, but that building appears pre-1937 to me.
Rex Racer
AG
Harkrider 93 said:

PS3D said:

FAT SEXY said:

I had made a thread on the board a few weeks ago about this place, and there were some decent musings about it, but I figured I should post it in here as well for posterity's sake.

This building was once an Albertson's. It is located off of University Drive, across from Lions Park in CS.. It closed in 2010(I was working there at the time) and hasn't been re-opened as anything else since. 10 years collecting dust. It's in a solid spot too.

I'm not sure if it was something else before becoming an Albertson's.

I believe at one point there were 4 Albertsons in B/CS? I may be mistaken on the number. There are none now and this was the last of them to fall.

Built as a Randalls in 1991...sold to Albertsons in 1997...closed in 2011. H-E-B holds a long-term lease on the building, and last I heard it was owned by the A+ Tutoring owner for a parking lot. (I'm not sure how COVID has affected that).

At peak there were only three Albertsons stores, this one, the one in Bryan (later Walmart Neighborhood Market) and the other one in College Station (the one partially demolished for Walmart and later Altitude Trampoline Park). There were plans to reopen the Albertsons at College Avenue and University in the early 2000s (renderings were drawn up and a store number were given) but nothing ever happened, presumably because of the company's struggles around that time.
I know that was a store in '89. Pretty sure it was a Skaggs Alpha Beta at the time. Bought my fish gear there with my other fish buddies. Also had to call them, Kroger, and Piggly Wiggly to get beer prices for the Zips. Maybe I am off a bit on exact spot in that center.

Loved the drive thru Shipleys that used to be a Kodak photo development.
Skaggs was over on South College and University. I used to do my grocery shopping there.
Harkrider 93
AG
thanks - I didn't know where Lion's park was. I remember the one built early 91 by the Hilton. Sad I can't remember street names.
Aggdad11
Anyone remember when DPS was at the intersection of Villa Mariea and Briarcreast. H&S green stamps was on the other end? Also the Buccaneer hamburger joint at the end of Coulter on S. College?
woodiewood1
PS3D said:

College Station now has TWO abandoned hotels, the Quality Suites over on Highway 6 (at Ponderosa) and Four Points by Sheraton (Texas Avenue near Dominik). I like to think the latter will be demolished for an In-N-Out Burger (it's near campus, like they wanted) but I guess I can dream...
The hotel Quality Inn is in the process of being updated and will open for the Fall....never was abandoned. They also purchased the one in Huntsville and remodeling it.
BMo
goatchze said:

Frank Merka purchased that land as part of a larger parcel in 1937 from E C and Winnie Dell Martin.

I'm no architecture buff, but that building appears pre-1937 to me.
I wonder if the Martins have kin around here anymore.
histag10
AG
I believe the one on Texas and Ponderosa is NOT being updated as a hotel (has La Familia in it). It is being sold and will *hopefully* open in 2021 or 2022 as something new and exciting for families here!

(If any of you are part of WE BCS, you may have seen posts about this recently)
histag10
AG
Also, Quality Inn is in Bryan, Quality Suites was that old run down abandoned motel where La Familia is in College Station
ratfacemcdougal
histag10 said:

I believe the one on Texas and Ponderosa is NOT being updated as a hotel (has La Familia in it). It is being sold and will *hopefully* open in 2021 or 2022 as something new and exciting for families here!

I think you and Woodie are talking about two different hotels...now about the WE BCS posts...care to enlighten us on the possible plans for HOJO / Americas Best Value
histag10
AG
Are there 2 abandoned hotels there? The previous poster said texas and ponderosa.

Its not MY project, so I would feel bad if she didnt want it out in the world yet. I know she has spoken to city council, and has started the planning stage
UmustBKidding
Don't think there are any abandoned anything there. There is the damaged Quality north of ponderosa that seems to be in the process or repair and the ABV originally the "ponderosa motel" where Mi Famila is located that may be undergoing redevelopment not to be confused with the microtel behind it that was recently built
nwspmp
FAT SEXY said:

Any folk know what this "COLORTYME" signage is/was for? It's been there forever on the bend on Texas Avenue heading towards dodge street.

The store on the opposite side of the dealership you see here was once a Colortyme store.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
It's still being renovated. It's got some great history including being the first (and maybe still only) temple in the country named after a woman.

https://www.brazosheritage.org/temple-freda-history
Post removed:
by user
trouble
AG
I read a little more last night. They got a grant in 2017 and at that time were expecting another 3-5 years of work.
PS3D
histag10 said:

Mi Familia is in the America's Best Value Inn across the street. Talking about the one at the northwest corner of the intersection.
histag10
AG
PS3D said:

histag10 said:

Mi Familia is in the America's Best Value Inn across the street. Talking about the one at the northwest corner of the intersection.

Ah, well my apologies

Big things coming to the ABV Inn then.
woodiewood1
Slocum on a mobile said:

Bob2525 said:

Post Oak Mall
https://instagr.am/p/CR6eHa9Igsv

Ahh yes, the death knell is ringing for Post Oak Small. They should just doze the buildings and provide a permanent home for a carnival.
The problem with doing anything with the Post Oak Mall is that there are seven different owners of portions of the mall so all might have to sign off on any major improvements or renovations. Then an eight company owns the two restaurant pads in the parking lot. Even the parking lot sections have different owners.

Post removed:
by user
woodiewood1
FAT SEXY said:

Any folk know if there is a clear, concise boundary for what is considered the "Brazos Valley"??

Set parameters may be beneficial for this thread in the future.
I suppose it depends. From an economic angle it would basically be Brazos County.

From a weather angle I would say Brazos county and portions of those counties that touch Brazos county and are in the Brazos River watershed...Robertson, Madison, Grimes, Washington and Burleson counties

KBTX often gives weather for Walker county and parts of Trinity and Houston counties in their "Brazos Valley weather" but I think that is a stretch.
histag10
AG
FAT SEXY said:

Any folk know if there is a clear, concise boundary for what is considered the "Brazos Valley"??

Set parameters may be beneficial for this thread in the future.

Technically, BV consists of Brazos, Burleson, Grimes, Leon, Madison, Robertson and Washington counties according to the Brazos Valley Council
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.