Brazos Valley ~ Abandoned Places

93,033 Views | 447 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by goatchze
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FAT SEXY said:

war hymn aggie said:

Speaking of abandoned places around town, what about the old nursing home on Anderson between Holleman & SW Parkway. It's been abandoned for several years. Magnified or something similar was it's name. Always wondered if the govt shut it down or it just went bankrupt.
I know exactly what you're talking about.. It's been abandoned for at least 5 years, possibly longer? Idk.

I wonder if CSPD ever has to deal with squatters in that location. It seems like a prime spot for people to hide out in, especially in the back sections. Guaranteed there are some broken windows and what not.

I'll have to swing by there and investigate soon. Will post my findings here.

State keeps a database of recent nursing home closures. It may have dropped off publicly viewable databases but I believed Magnified shut down in summer 2019.
crbongos
AG
Tom Vetters owned Aggieland Realty. It looked abandoned even when he was still there! I remember before that it used to be a pool hall/pinball place. That was around 1972.
CRBongo
Post removed:
by user
maroon barchetta
Live music venue!

There is a Warehouse Live east of downtown Houston. How about here?

The Factory!

The Sweatshop!

The Cobbler's Corner!
PS3D
FAT SEXY said:

Apparently my mind equates 3/4 years of seeing something empty as 5 years.

It's an odd location. What are we wagering happens to it? I've seen abandoned nursing homes become motels in the past(in Caldwell). That probably won't be the case with this place though.

I can imagine it could work as an office complex, even if partial demolition is required. That or a total demo for apartments.
befitter
UP Brazos Valley (Unlimited Potential)plans to use the property. Their purpose is to help young people that have aged out of foster care. Great organization.

upbrazosvalley.org

maroon barchetta
How do they plan to use it?
BaronDeBishopville
KBTX had a story on 12/30/22 where the city had allocated up to $350K to demolish the building. Unlimited Potential was shown having a new location, kind of looked like the old Winn Dixie center on 29th in Bryan. There is an almost identical building in Hearne next to the Walmart High School. I believe the same nursing home company built them both in the 70s
befitter
They are currently trying to raise funds as the above poster mentioned to raze the current building. They would then build out their facility to house their staff and have a CS location for services they offer...counseling, life skills education, housing assistance. UP was started at Voices for Children and is now their own organization.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
FAT SEXY said:

This place is located next to the Finfeather/Turkey Creek Rd intersection in Bryan.

It's not completely abandoned, because I believe things still go on in one section on the far side of the building. Also, after a hail storm a company will set up shop in the bays closest to Finfeather for a couple of months, but other than that, nothing really goes on here.

It's a very large building so I'm left wondering what kind of operation used to go on here during its heyday?

I believe this is the building that FBM (Foundation Building Materials) operates out of. I got sent there a few years ago to get some sheetrock. I felt like I was going to walk into a murder/drug deal.
trouble
AG
Yes, they are at one end of it
J182
AG
Every once in a while there is a horse just hanging out. It is always super random.
👽
flyguysr5
Was a shoe sole factory. Made the heavy rubber type soles. Alot of the original press type equipment is still in there.
Alte Schule
J182 said:

Every once in a while there is a horse just hanging out. It is always super random.
From about 2007 to 2012 or so there was a company there that made industrial waste dumpsters. My brother was hired as a computer tech and told me that he, the owner manager and the payroll person were the only employees without a criminal record. Turnover was constant,
Picking him up for lunch one day I saw a horse behind a fence right off the parking lot and asked him about it. He told me the owner of the building allowed someone to live in a camper on the property as a night watchman or something and he takes care of the horse. Guess he's still there.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
EliteElectric
FAT SEXY said:

This red brick building is located right in the middle of Lyons. I believe there might have been another building in the area similar to it that recently got leveled. I say this, because there is a big pile of old red bricks just down the street from it.

Maybe this one is slated to become a pile of bricks here soon as well.

I wonder what it was in its prime.

ETA: I looked it up on Google maps. It doesn't have an address number listed on there like other buildings in the area.

Coordinates: 30.385533, -96.563411

That place was "the Crow's Nest" bar, I played in a band that played there every Thursday night for years
EliteElectric
FAT SEXY said:

This place is across from Post Oak Mall on Holleman Drive. Nothing has been going on here for a VERY long time.

You'll sometimes see police cruisers posted up in the parking lot.

That's gonna be turned into a food court/food hall, one of those places with multiple eateries under one roof with a central dinning area
UmustBKidding
Nothing happening because you are in the wrong thread. Starts around here https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3353147/replies/64432069
Post removed:
by user
Romello
FAT SEXY said:

This place is across from Post Oak Mall on Holleman Drive. Nothing has been going on here for a VERY long time.

Unrelated: I noticed graffiti on these containers in the Red Lobster parking lot as well.

Believe that used to be a Sears service center connected to the Sears that used to be at the mall.
AggiePhil
AG
There was an automotive service center in the mall, yes. But this was like an appliance parts and service center.
PS3D
FAT SEXY said:

Tunis, Texas is an unincorporated community and census designated place in Burleson County, Texas, US. It was first listed as a CDP in the 2020 census with a population of 90.

Texas State Historical Association Link

Quote:

The town was founded in the mid-1800s amid several large antebellum Texas plantations, for which it became the trading center. A post office operated there from 1878 to 1910. The community was also referred to as Dogtown because of the dog races held every Sunday at a local racetrack.
I grew up in Burleson County, so I'm somewhat familiar with Tunis. I've driven through it plenty of times. It's never been a nice place. I feel like it is in a perpetual state of decay. There are loads of abandoned houses. Others that look barely livable.. Plenty that appear to be "trap houses"

Here are a couple of pics showing 2 of the abandoned houses. Both of these are right off of the main road. I can only imagine that if you were to go back on some of the county roads around there you will probably run into a plethora of old, abandoned houses.

One of the first things you notice when driving into Tunis is this old Exxon sign right off of FM 166. It's been there for as long as I can remember, but I never remember a gas station being there.

I believe this building was several different things in the past.. It has been slowly eroding for many many years now.

As far as Tunis goes, that WAS a gas station within my lifetime.

https://vintageaerial.com/photos/texas/burleson/1992/HBU/73/3
Hey Doc, my psoas is sore
oklaunion
Several years ago a Tunis resident was returning to his farm house which sat a good ways off the road and saw a couple of thieves hauling stuff out of his house. He retrieved his deer rifle out of the truck and proceeded to halt the invasion. If I remember correctly, he shot one of the thief's leg off.
reineraggie09
AG
Romello said:

FAT SEXY said:

Unrelated: I noticed graffiti on these containers in the Red Lobster parking lot as well.

Believe that used to be a Sears service center connected to the Sears that used to be at the mall.

It's about to be a food hall.

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/03/10/food-hall-coming-soon-college-station/?outputType=amp
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
PS3D
FAT SEXY said:

Ever since Live Oak Archery moved and Chicken Oil caught fire, this has been a pretty desolate area.

For grins: This Tobacco store just down the road has been shuttered for some time.

That tobacco store used to be (until around 2000), the Texan, one of the area's best restaurants.

I forgot about Chicken Oil. They posted back in October that they'd reopen in 2023 but it's been total radio silence since then. I wouldn't hold my breath.
NateDog
AG

Quote:

I forgot about Chicken Oil. They posted back in October that they'd reopen in 2023 but it's been total radio silence since then. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Can't believe it's been a year already since the fire.
trouble
AG
I drive past there multiple times a week, different times of the day and it's been 6 months if not longer since I've seen anyone working over there.

I'm trying to prepare my 7 year old for it not reopening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.