Outdoors
Sponsored by

Update on pistol brace?

93,517 Views | 797 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tandy miller
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GOA Attorney:

Says that if they do not approve it in 88 days, it is an automatic denial.

If you are denied, you have now sent the ATF pictures, serial numbers, etc of unregistered SBR, which is a federal felony.

tandy miller
AG
No ****ing way that hold up… it's impossible to process those forms in that time.

Also, those guys in video are exaggerating form 1 wait times grossly
Guitarsoup
AG
tandy miller said:

No ****ing way that hold up… it's impossible to process those forms in that time.

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/pages/atf-form-1-atf-eform-1-nfa-tracker

Looks like the eform is in the 35 day range and the other one is in the 250 day range.

But I doubt they were processing 40,000,000 form 1s in 4 months.

The way the thing is written, why wouldn't it hold up? By law, you have to have it registered before taking possession.

Also, they wrote it so unspecifically that basically everything possible qualifies.

The brace qualifies if it has "surface area." How much? Not quantified. But a brace needs surface area to wrap around a forearm for its intended use. The thing is a ****ing three-dimensional object, of course it has surface area.

You notice what the ATF doesn't provide here: Any list of approved braces.
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/factoring-criteria-firearms-attached-stabilizing-braces

They show you examples of common SBRs are: https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/bracefinalruleguidance-commerciallypdf/download

Their intention is to make all of them illegal/SBRs. All this despite very recent judicial rulings saying they cannot do this.
AggieT
AG
NICS Data Integrity Act

This pops up as the first thing on Google when you search for "88 day background check rule". Interesting cast of characters involved...

It seems they may have figured out a way to use the law they wanted changed in their favor.
El Chupacabra
I've decided. The state I live in, the range I shoot at 99% of the time…I'm not sending in **** for things I may or may not have. They have my wife's maiden name, my picture, my fingerprints, everything else I've put on form 4s. But I'm done.

FATF. FJB.
lp01
AG
Looks like I have some more reading to do. I feel like I've gotten halfway to my law degree in the last week. Had some things notarized today, and the folks there didn't have the info provided on this forum. Once again, a prime example of the Outdoors Board knowing things.
BenderRodriguez
AG
This really, really sucks for people living in states where state law prohibits possession of sbrs.

I mean, it sucks period but extra sucks for those guys.
tandy miller
AG
Yeah I genuinely don't know what to do. The 88 day thing scares me though.
mhnatt
Say I filed a Form 1 today (Jan 19th) online (eForm). Whether or not that would be a dumb idea for me to try to save $200 and to get ahead of "the line" of pending backlog, help me with this one.

First, I assume now that filing today, I'd be "in pending status", I Thus I could TODAY, rip off the stupid brace and legally replace with a normal stock. Yes?

Say the rule is then overturned before my stamp is approved. Am I still good with a buttstock now true "SBR" whilst awaiting for approval of my Form 1?

So that means I go from "legal" on Jan 12th to "pending criminal" on Jan 13th, then "legal probation" on Jan 19th until the stamp comes in, but if the law is overturned before my stamp arrives, "immediate criminal"?
NickNaylor
mhnatt said:

Say I filed a Form 1 today (Jan 19th) online (eForm). Whether or not that would be a dumb idea for me to try to save $200 and to get ahead of "the line" of pending backlog, help me with this one.

First, I assume now that filing today, I'd be "in pending status", I Thus I could TODAY, rip off the stupid brace and legally replace with a normal stock. Yes?

Say the rule is then overturned before my stamp is approved. Am I still good with a buttstock now true "SBR" whilst awaiting for approval of my Form 1?

So that means I go from "legal" on Jan 12th to "pending criminal" on Jan 13th, then "legal probation" on Jan 19th until the stamp comes in, but if the law is overturned before my stamp arrives, "immediate criminal"?
NM
lp01
AG
(I am not an attorney. Just my interpretation)

The rule hasn't been officially registered yet. Only published. Therefore, it hasn't gone into effect. So you could Form 1 tomorrow and you would have an SBR regardless this rule (pending approval).

Most places (including two gun stores) I have spoken to are taking a wait and see approach. The whole matter of having it in before the rule is posted to the federal registry has to do with proving prior ownership by a trust or individual.

Someone correct me if I am wrong in my understanding.
AggieT
AG
Unless I'm mistaken, the rule hasn't posted to the federal register yet, and is therefore not effective.

Do not a put stock on. Also, since you submitted before the rule is effective, you probably don't qualify for the "legal probation". Did it allow you to file the form 1 without paying the $200?

This is such a cluster **** that I wouldn't do anything with the actual pistols/rifles/wtf until there is some clarity. Other than, perhaps, taking them apart and losing the brace. Nobody can definitively say what is legal right now.
Breggy Popup
AG
Guitarsoup said:

tandy miller said:

https://www.nationalguntrusts.com/pages/atf-form-1-atf-eform-1-nfa-tracker

Looks like the eform is in the 35 day range and the other one is in the 250 day range.

But I doubt they were processing 40,000,000 form 1s in 4 months.

The way the thing is written, why wouldn't it hold up? By law, you have to have it registered before taking possession.

Also, they wrote it so unspecifically that basically everything possible qualifies.

The brace qualifies if it has "surface area." How much? Not quantified. But a brace needs surface area to wrap around a forearm for its intended use. The thing is a ****ing three-dimensional object, of course it has surface area.

You notice what the ATF doesn't provide here: Any list of approved braces.
https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/factoring-criteria-firearms-attached-stabilizing-braces

They show you examples of common SBRs are: https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/bracefinalruleguidance-commerciallypdf/download

Their intention is to make all of them illegal/SBRs. All this despite very recent judicial rulings saying they cannot do this.
There is a note in the video that it is 88 days after the background check starts, not from submission. I don't know if that was in the video originally or not but that is different than 88 days form submission.
AggieT
AG
The point remains. Your form is delayed/denied for whatever reason... Now what? Are we in 5th Amendment territory?
Breggy Popup
AG
AggieT said:

The point remains. Your form is delayed/denied for whatever reason... Now what? Are we in 5th Amendment territory?
I am not an attorney and I am glad I don't have to worry about this fiasco.

That said, I think I'd have a hard time complying but again, I don't have to make that decision thankfully.
mhnatt
AggieT said:

Unless I'm mistaken, the rule hasn't posted to the federal register yet, and is therefore not effective.

Do not a put stock on. Also, since you submitted before the rule is effective, you probably don't qualify for the "legal probation". Did it allow you to file the form 1 without paying the $200?

This is such a cluster **** that I wouldn't do anything with the actual pistols/rifles/wtf until there is some clarity. Other than, perhaps, taking them apart and losing the brace. Nobody can definitively say what is legal right now.

Currently, the online ATF eForm1 automatically checks the box for the exemption of $200 and there is no way, even if you wanted to select the $200. So yeah, one submits it today w/o paying the $200. So unless I'm mistaken, submitting today is "free" and validates your firearm, with brace or replace the brace tomorrow with full stock, as a legal SBR while it is in "pending" mode?
txyaloo
AG
There is no pending mode. You can't legally install a stock until you have an approved form in your hand.
agsalaska
AG
So, just for clarification, and I thought that I read an explanation on this earlier in the thread but couldn't find it, but what are the other options other than a stamp. I am guessing that removing the upper and fitting it with a 16+ inch barrel makes the gun legal?

I understand that this is not ideal or feasible for some or fair and F the ATF and all of that. I just want some clarity on other options one might have.
ShouldastayedataTm
Guitarsoup said:

GOA Attorney:

Says that if they do not approve it in 88 days, it is an automatic denial.

If you are denied, you have now sent the ATF pictures, serial numbers, etc of unregistered SBR, which is a federal felony.

Said this earlier, basically they are letting everyone try to register their pistols as SBRs so that they can start denying approvals or just waiting out the time. Now they have all the information they need, freely provided without a warrant by the now criminal and can start collecting fines and weapons left and right. I doubt they put anyone but the most egregious offenders (multiple now unregistered NFA items) in jail, they will likely just use it as a big money grab. Damn thieves.
TheVarian
AG
This was my question as well and I think that is correct. If you put a 16" upper on it becomes a rifle. That's how I interpreted it.

FTAG 2000
AG
tandy miller said:

Have you seen anything out of this administration that tells you they care about the rule of law?

No way it holds up? Okay, are you willing to accept them coming to your house, taking your weapons and ammo at gunpoint, charging you with a federal felony (15 years in jail), being taken away from your family in cuffs, and letting the legal process play out while you hope you find a good judge (i.e., non-Clinton-Obama-Biden appointee) to see your side??

Anyone registering for a free stamp is a fool.
tandy miller
AG
I'm not registering ****
FTAG 2000
AG
Also, for what it's worth Jim Willi (TX Gun Trust) said don't do the free stamp, pay the $200 and treat it like you would have before this "free" offer came out. Don't take the honey trap.
lp01
AG
Found this link on the ATF site. It answers some questions on the date the rule is effective and what options you have to convert the pistol to a rifle, remove the brace, etc.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/docs/undefined/finalrule2021r-08f508pdf/download

(I couldn't get a picture uploaded)

Options Available to all Possessors
1. Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer rifled barrel to the firearm.
2. Permanently remove and dispose of, or alter, the "stabilizing brace" such that it cannot be reattached.
3. Turn the firearm into your local ATF office.
4. Destroy the firearm.
5. Register the weapon as set forth below depending on your category of possessor.

Effective Date of Final Rule
- The final rule was signed by the Attorney General on January 13, 2023.
- Published in the Federal Register on TBD.
- The Final Rule is effective on the date of publication in the Federal Register.
- The compliance date is 120 days after the effective date.
hunter2012
AG
Not to add to the confusion, but it sounds like there's some clarification on the 88 days rule that the GOA video addresses. Mainly that the 88 days starts when the agent starts processing.

LINK

Quote:

There are definitely a number of inaccurate statements being made in this video:
Most Form 1s aren't taking 6-9 months currently
I don't believe the background check is started on an NFA application until an agent starts processing (vs. when you submit, like they are implying)
You don't have to include a picture of the braced firearm when submitting (a pic of the markings is optional)

This is based off some Deputy Director's comments on a rule that isn't even official yet. I work with plenty of Directors at my company who are basically paid to make stuff up and hope they're right.
At the end of the day, we need more info. The ATF's own FAQ states that if your application is denied, you'll be given the opportunity to fix the error(s) and reapply. We also must remember that Guns & Gadgets makes clickbaity videos somewhat frequently, and GOA also blows things out of proportion from time to time and gets increased donations when people are outraged.
I trust the ATF far less than either of them, but this is effectively hearsay, and we still don't have the published final rule. Keep calm and wait for more info if you're worried. And honestly, I don't think the ATF is competent enough to cook up the scheme being implied in the video, but that's just me.

Could someone submit their braced gun to a FFL while the whole thing gets processed? If the ATF comes calling, you would not be in possession of it and it would essentially be in stamp jail?
BSD
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Also, for what it's worth Jim Willi (TX Gun Trust) said don't do the free stamp, pay the $200 and treat it like you would have before this "free" offer came out. Don't take the honey trap.

Sounds expensive.
BenderRodriguez
AG
The ATF is not a huge organization, and they are pretty busy with things like running guns to the cartels.

So if you choose to engage in some civil disobedience to their new diktat like a good American, a few words of advice:

Do not post pictures of your civil disobedience online, dont talk about it online (fellow gun owners are sometimes worse than actual feds about reporting/going after gun owners for not complying with unconstitutional bs). The few the atf will go after to "set the example" will 100% be people who made it easy on them by talking, because they cant knock on millions of doors. Loose lips sink ships, and our current govt is not your friend.
txyaloo
AG
hunter2012 said:

Could someone submit their braced gun to a FFL while the whole thing gets processed? If the ATF comes calling, you would not be in possession of it and it would essentially be in stamp jail?
FFLs can't be in possession of unregistered NFA items either.

07/02 FFLs could Form 2 the gun but then they would have to transfer it to you on a Form 4 with that insane wait
agsalaska
AG
Thanks for the replies on what you can do to the gun itself.
hunter2012
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

The ATF is not a huge organization, and they are pretty busy with things like running guns to the cartels.

So if you choose to engage in some civil disobedience to their new diktat like a good American, a few words of advice:

Do not post pictures of your civil disobedience online, dont talk about it online (fellow gun owners are sometimes worse than actual feds about reporting/going after gun owners for not complying with unconstitutional bs). The few the atf will go after to "set the example" will 100% be people who made it easy on them by talking, because they cant knock on millions of doors. Loose lips sink ships, and our current govt is not your friend.
GD FUDDS are going to be the death of all of our dogs.
Strongweasel97
AG
hunter2012 said:

Not to add to the confusion, but it sounds like there's some clarification on the 88 days rule that the GOA video addresses. Mainly that the 88 days starts when the agent starts processing.

LINK

Quote:

There are definitely a number of inaccurate statements being made in this video:
Most Form 1s aren't taking 6-9 months currently
I don't believe the background check is started on an NFA application until an agent starts processing (vs. when you submit, like they are implying)
You don't have to include a picture of the braced firearm when submitting (a pic of the markings is optional)
This is based off some Deputy Director's comments on a rule that isn't even official yet. I work with plenty of Directors at my company who are basically paid to make stuff up and hope they're right.
At the end of the day, we need more info. The ATF's own FAQ states that if your application is denied, you'll be given the opportunity to fix the error(s) and reapply. We also must remember that Guns & Gadgets makes clickbaity videos somewhat frequently, and GOA also blows things out of proportion from time to time and gets increased donations when people are outraged.
I trust the ATF far less than either of them, but this is effectively hearsay, and we still don't have the published final rule. Keep calm and wait for more info if you're worried. And honestly, I don't think the ATF is competent enough to cook up the scheme being implied in the video, but that's just me.

Good post.

Seems like there's way too much clickbait and drama over the proposed curing process. The current approval process (and I seriously doubt they'll change it much, if any for this) doesn't take them long once they get to your file, so the 88 day thing sounds misleading. I've never had a Form 1 denied based on time; and I've had at least two or three that have taken quite longer than 90-100 days. One during Covid took about 6-7 months.

If it were me doing the free stamp, I'd just treat it the same way I do any other SBR during the wait, i.e., just wouldn't use it in a brace configuration.

On the second bolded point: this is basically what happens when you screw up the info on a normal SBR/Form 1 without the whole refund part. It actually sounds like they're giving you a second free bite at the apple if you screw up the Form the first time.
mhnatt
txyaloo said:

There is no pending mode. You can't legally install a stock until you have an approved form in your hand.

I don't think you are correct. As of today, it appears that the brace is classified as no different than a stock. eForming today supposedly keeps you legal until being denied. So how is changing the brace to a stock today, make it illegal today?

If I'm legal today (submitted Form 1 and in pending status), how is that any different than changing the brace to a stock?
Breggy Popup
AG
mhnatt said:

txyaloo said:

I don't think you are correct. As of today, it appears that the brace is classified as no different than a stock. eForming today supposedly keeps you legal until being denied. So how is changing the brace to a stock today, make it illegal today?

Since the rule applies specifically to braces, that's all the temporary amnesty covers. If you slap a stock on prior to getting your SBR stamp you are completely out of compliance. It would be no different than putting an 11.5" upper on your rifle lower and then submitting a Form 1.
tandy miller
AG
Apparently u gotta wait to put stock on

javajaws
AG
Good luck waiting for X number of years for that approval to replace the brace with a stock. Meanwhile non-brace SBR filers will also have to wait to put a stock on since the wait time will be forever with all the backlog.

It's like a win-win for the ATF and a royal screwing for anyone who wants an SBR in the next 10 years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.