Outdoors
Sponsored by

Update on pistol brace?

93,511 Views | 797 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by tandy miller
Yesterday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm just removing the brace. Going to let this play out a lot longer before registering anything.
Daddy-O5
AG
Yesterday said:

I'm just removing the brace. Going to let this play out a lot longer before registering anything.
This is the way. I'd still love to see us avoid the massive last-minute rush of compliance because everyone freaks out about it.

Losing a little faith that this gets stayed prior to the deadline, still very confident that it's gets tossed at some point though.
Watchful Ag
AG
For those of you removing the brace ... are yall planning to install a smooth rounded buffer tube in place of the buffer tube with the adjustable notches?

From this ..

To this ..

Daddy-O5
AG
*NOT A LAWYER* but from what I understand about the "rule" I don't think that matters. I've always understood all you have to do is take the brace off to be in compliance. I don't believe adjustability actually has anything to do with the new "rule". There are pistol braces for both styles.

ETA: Constructive intent is the only grey area I'm still pseudo curious about. They claim all you have to do is take off the brace (ATF director is on tape saying this), but if you just take it off and leave it right next to it?
Yesterday
AG
Daddy-O5 said:

*NOT A LAWYER* but from what I understand about the "rule" I don't think that matters. I've always understood all you have to do is take the brace off to be in compliance. I don't believe adjustability actually has anything to do with the new "rule". There are pistol braces for both styles.

ETA: Constructive intent is the only grey area I'm still pseudo curious about. They claim all you have to do is take off the brace (ATF director is on tape saying this), but if you just take it off and leave it right next to it?

ATF says you just can't have the brace on the weapon. You can have a tube that accepts a brace. You can have a brace. You can't have the brace on the pistol. According to the ATF who also said it was perfectly legal.
RFD
AG
Compliance sucks.

Brace has been removed.
AG
RFD said:

Compliance sucks.

Brace has been removed.

Good for you. It's obvious there's no way for the gun to be dangerous now in the wrong hands.

I'm so glad the government is here to protect us.
Irish 2.0
Easier to conceal!
ChemEAg08
AG
GeorgiAg said:

agsalaska said:

Irish 2.0 said:

BSD said:

Congressman Andrew Clyde has made it known that he is leading efforts to shut down the brace rule. He has said he is confident that he can stop it but that there will be a gap between the effective date and the date at which he thinks his efforts will come into play. Still nothing in the courts. I imagine if nothing happens by the deadline, then the ATF website will be a ****show on May 30.

It'll crash for days. Still the millions of people out there that have these braces, but zero knowledge of this bull**** rule from the ATF.

That in my mind is the biggest problem. Some pour guy is going to show up at a range in some liberal run part of the country and end up in federal prison for a rifle that he legally bought with a background check.

ATF is an enemy.
Not only that but he'll never be able to shoot again.

Yeah man, that's terrible. I can't imagine what it would have felt like to vote for a political party that pushes this kind of legislation, because they didn't like mean tweets.
javajaws
AG
Anybody used https://www.tyr-ident.com/ or somebody similar to create an EFT file from a filled out 258 fingerprint card? I'd like to get 1 set of digital prints that I can re-use instead of keep having to dip me fingers in the ink!
AggieT
AG
I used this:

.ETF Fingerprint File Service

Went to a UPS Store to have the prints taken on their machine. The file was emailed to me the same afternoon.

Good option if there is a store with the scanner near you.
Eliminatus
AG
4 said:

RFD said:

Compliance sucks.

Brace has been removed.

Good for you. It's obvious there's no way for the gun to be dangerous now in the wrong hands.

I'm so glad the government is here to protect us.

I have the exact same platform. Wasn't there some shenanigans with firearms imported over with factory braces? Something like the firearm itself will be taboo, brave or no brace. Did that ever get cleared up? (I know "clear" is anathema to the ATF).

Also what trigger are you running there?
javajaws
AG
I also just found this tidbit of info. If submitting paper fingerprints you only need to submit 1 set of fingerprint cards for all submissions (with all the cover letters):

RFD
AG
Yes, look up 922R. Pistols were exept from this as I understand but now that it is a rifle it may be subject to 922r.

https://gununiversity.com/922r-compliance/
Eliminatus
AG
RFD said:

Yes, look up 922R. Pistols were exept from this as I understand but now that it is a rifle it may be subject to 922r.

So you just swapped some parts to get below that 10 foreign part rule? What did you change aside from trigger? I have never messed with this compliance before and it sounds incredibly stupid and pointless. Which goes along with the ATF I guess. So PMAGs swap out three of those parts for American ones? Is that truly it?

I also just learned that it technically is a carbine. Dang. I truly thought it was a pistol this whole time. It makes sense of course, now.

And thanks for the guidance. Count me as one of those who have put about zero thought into this to date and I also would have never known at all without TA.
txyaloo
AG
Eliminatus said:

RFD said:

So you just swapped some parts to get below that 10 foreign part rule? What did you change aside from trigger? I have never messed with this compliance before and it sounds incredibly stupid and pointless. Which goes along with the ATF I guess. So PMAGs swap out three of those parts for American ones? Is that truly it?

I also just learned that it technically is a carbine. Dang. I truly thought it was a pistol this whole time. It makes sense of course, now.

And thanks for the guidance. Count me as one of those who have put about zero thought into this to date and I also would have never known at all without TA.
I wouldn't worry about 922(r). The "enforcement" of that is a fairly new rule w/in the last 15 or so years with respect to NFA devices. The ATF uses that to hit actual manufacturers.

Texas has no comparable law. If you have Fed LE looking at your guns that closely to see whether you're in compliance with 922(r) you have much bigger problems
javajaws
AG
AggieT said:

I used this:

.ETF Fingerprint File Service

Went to a UPS Store to have the prints taken on their machine. The file was emailed to me the same afternoon.

Good option if there is a store with the scanner near you.
How did that work? Did they email you a QR code to take to UPS or did you have to call after ordering? I just ordered on their website but its not clear. Maybe I just need to wait for another email to be sent?
AggieT
AG
I received a payment receipt email, followed by an appointment email with a QR Code.
BSD
AG
Just saw this…

Daddy-O5
AG
Mock_v_Garland_Order_Granting_Motion_for_Injunction_Pending_Appeal.pdf (thereload.com)

agsalaska
AG
When this is all said and done and the courts rule against the ATF, I wonder what the ATF is going to do with their new list of people they have who voluntarily told them exactly what they own.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

mhnatt
agsalaska said:

When this is all said and done and the courts rule against the ATF, I wonder what the ATF is going to do with their new list of people they have who voluntarily told them exactly what they own.

You mean like the list you are already on from when you bought your suppressors?
Irish 2.0
agsalaska said:

Daddy-O5
AG
agsalaska said:

Good question, I'm not sure. I for one don't intend to be on that particular list.
Daddy-O5
AG

Quote:

Today, FPC is proud to announce that we have secured an injunction - pending appeal - against the ATF's pistol brace rule.

Already, we are being flooded with questions like "are FPC members covered under the injunction?"

JOIN FPC!

Rest assured that our lawyers are seeking clarification from the court as we speak. And we will inform the Grassroots Army the second we know.

For now, the Judge's opinion merely states that the injunction applies as to "the plaintiffs in this case."

Please stay tuned for important updates regarding this case, as well as what today's injunction means for you and your family.

JOIN FPC!

Thank YOU for your incredible support to date, which has made our lawsuit and this injunction possible.

Stay Free,
Firearms Policy Coalition
javajaws
AG
agsalaska said:

Or what happens to the free tax stamps you received? Will they become invalid? Or will they come asking for $200 later?

In my case, I was wanting to SBR most of my braced guns anyway so no big deal for me. For others I totally understand the hesitancy.
AgLA06
AG
javajaws said:

agsalaska said:

Or what happens to the free tax stamps you received? Will they become invalid? Or will they come asking for $200 later?

In my case, I was wanting to SBR most of my braced guns anyway so no big deal for me. For others I totally understand the hesitancy.
This is why most people said they would sit tight until the very last day to see what happened.
txyaloo
AG
javajaws said:

agsalaska said:

I'm not aware of the ATF ever reverting stamps when they've done amnesty programs in the past, but this one is pretty different.

I've also never heard of the ATF removing items from the NFRTR. Once registered, they're always on the list. When you tell the ATF the guns have been destroyed or put back to Title 1 status, they just enter a note in the system vs physically removing the listing
Mr. Dubi
With most of rhe 4473's being electronic these days, the ATF knows what is in your safe.
Daddy-O5
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

With most of rhe 4473's being electronic these days, the ATF knows what is in your safe.
You're assuming most folks who are concerned with what the ATF knows habitually fill out a 4473.

Lots of private transactions occur with little to no record/documentation, certainly no paperwork available to the ATF.

Many rifle parts are bought individually with no way to track what is done with them. Most commonly how many AR lowers are sold independently and built out, with no way for the ATF to know what specifically was done with the lower.

80% lowers (not just AR lowers) also increase the opportunity for individuals to have firearms unknown to the ATF.

Do I think the ATF already knows more than we'd like to accept? Probably, but I also think you underestimate the ability to avoid that (legally) at this point.
agsalaska
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

Not to completely derail, but I still don't believe that to be a fact. I have been involved in hundreds of ATF traces and if they knew the information you claim they knew they wouldn't be calling my stores.

That being said, private transactions are a substantial % of transactions. I have filled out one 4473 in 10 years and that was for my son's .243. Everything else is private transactions.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.

Elko is a loser and we will be buying him out for some obscene amount of money in two years. - Agsalaska

Yesterday
AG
agsalaska said:

Mr. Dubi said:

Not to completely derail, but I still don't believe that to be a fact. I have been involved in hundreds of ATF traces and if they knew the information you claim they knew they wouldn't be calling my stores.

That being said, private transactions are a substantial % of transactions. I have filled out one 4473 in 10 years and that was for my son's .243. Everything else is private transactions.

There is software to fill out 4473's that is not tied to any database. You still have to print it and sign it.

That said, ATF is starting to allow cloud storage for 4473's in leu of paper storage. They would have access to this for tracers. So it won't be too long if someone does t shut that down.
Daddy-O5
AG

Quote:

The ATF has recently issued a letter to all ATF dealers outlining their latest rulings. This new communication completely contradicts the sworn testimony of the ATF director, who previously stated under oath that removing the pistol brace would satisfy the regulation. According to the recent letter, the brace must now be removed, destroyed, and disposed of in order to be considered "in compliance."
Hopefully none of this matters in the end, but this was an email I got from Tennessee Arms.
DDSO
AG
Here are some screenshots from a video on YouTube discussing the email, from the ATF.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
This is what happens when you substitute the rule of law (2nd Amendment) with the rule of man (ATF/AG).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.