Outdoors
Sponsored by

Update on pistol brace?

84,868 Views | 789 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Red Pear Realty
tandy miller
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
lp01 said:

My guess is that it is going to take years for them to process all of the "free" tax stamps. In the documentation, they estimate that there are 3 million braces out in the wild. I bet is that it is much higher than that. I'm curious if it will be quicker to pay the $200 tax stamp and SBR it vs. playing the waiting game. If I understood it correctly, then you could use the brace or a stock, add a vertical foregrip, etc.

I wondered this weeks ago about my 10/22 charger. I think it's too late now, as there's going to be a rush on form 1's from people with that same line of thinking.

Also, if they say that you have to wait for the stamp to put your brace back on, they have effectively made it to where no one will have a legitimate braced pistol (SBR in atf eyes) for years, effectively banning them (although temporarily) altogether
drummer0415
AG
tandy miller said:

Also, if they say that you have to wait for the stamp to put your brace back on, they have effectively made it to where no one will have a legitimate braced pistol (SBR in atf eyes) for years, effectively banning them (although temporarily) altogether

That's a design feature, not a flaw.
tandy miller
AG
drummer0415 said:

tandy miller said:

That's a design feature, not a flaw.

100% agree. Wish I would have filed my form 1. Too late now
jrb2019
AG
You've got to be kidding…missed this from a couple days ago. SB Tactical hacked and customer info taken. Convenient timing to say the least.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/email-reveals-top-ar-15-pistol-brace-company-hit-data-breach-ahead-atf-ruling
dodger02
AG
tandy miller said:

lp01 said:

My guess is that it is going to take years for them to process all of the "free" tax stamps. In the documentation, they estimate that there are 3 million braces out in the wild. I bet is that it is much higher than that. I'm curious if it will be quicker to pay the $200 tax stamp and SBR it vs. playing the waiting game. If I understood it correctly, then you could use the brace or a stock, add a vertical foregrip, etc.

I wondered this weeks ago about my 10/22 charger. I think it's too late now, as there's going to be a rush on form 1's from people with that same line of thinking.

All you have to do if file the Form 1 and you're legal. They know the current backlog will be exacerbated. This is the concession they're making on that point. I specifically read that in the rule.
tandy miller
AG
OkY that's a relief. I admittedly haven't read the entire ruling. Is there any guidance on the process?
drummer0415
AG
That's great news. Thanks for the good input.
lp01
AG
So that's the deal. Form 1, pay your $200, take your brace off until approved? Once approved you can either use a stock or the brace? Or you could go the free stamp route and keep it a braced pistol?

Just trying to make sure I understand all of this silliness.
tandy miller
AG
No the stamp is free.
Dro07
AG
So if you have the brace and your barrel is 16"+ you are fine?

I hope they come out with a graphic or what a "pistol" is when they remove the brace
lp01
AG
Got it
beb08
AG
drummer0415 said:

The "free" stamp only applies to previously constructed pistol braced lowers as of the time the rule was released (todays date). So make sure you use lowers that you already have, or lowers that can be acquired without a 4473 being triggered after todays date.

Would previously constructed include guns that manufacturers have already produced and not sold? I havent had a chance to read 4473 but im ready to drop some money on a couple guns off my want list to get sbr'd.
El Chupacabra
drummer0415 said:

The "free" stamp only applies to previously constructed pistol braced lowers as of the time the rule was released (todays date). So make sure you use lowers that you already have, or lowers that can be acquired without a 4473 being triggered after todays date.

You mean the 10 pack of PSA lowers I bought a few years ago?
Furlock Bones
AG
this is going to screw my already filed form 1 timeline isn't it.
AgResearch
AG
Dro07
AG
Depends if "returning it back to a pistol" means just removing the brace. It makes sense but when you deal with the ATF nothing is logical.
I am always wrong
Lol.
tandy miller
AG
Can't have only the buffer tube. Also, using tension on the sling is a no go as well since it stabilizes. This is ****ing ridiculous. **** the ATF.

tandy miller
AG
Think about what this means for FFLs who have inventory of AR pistols. Theyll either have to make them non nfa items or form 2 them and then customers will have to file a form 4 when they buy them. JFC

ShouldastayedataTm
Guns and gadgets did a pretty good overview of this mess. It's over an hour but a pretty good overview and explanation of the new.rule.

nealan
What a sh** show
Furlock Bones
AG
Sneaky gov phaucks.

AvsB
Let's say I wanted to take advantage of the generous Fed offer of free stamp (sarcasm here). Do you still have to engrave your now SBR (after Form 1'd) and does an FFL have to do engraving or can you laser engrave yourself (based on depth and size dictatedby ATF)

This could be a nice side biz for the 3d printer guys with laser engraving hop up kit.
nealan
The way I understand all that is that you're ok if you strip it down to the tube. Still ****ty, but may be the easiest thing…
aggieforester05
AG
So will it be possible to initially register it in a trust? Individual defeats the point of a free stamp if you want your relatives to be able to inherit it someday.

F the ATF
nealan
I ordered a suppressor today. Wonder what this is gonna do to the old wait time … fml
Daddy-O5
AG
Might be in the minority here but if I were to have an AR pistol in my possession (can neither confirm nor deny) I'm not doing sh*t yet. See how this plays out in the courts.
FTAG 2000
AG
Don't think the atf can waive that tax. Only Congress.

They are going to trap people into having to pay when they say just it in the freebie.
FTAG 2000
AG
nealan said:

I ordered a suppressor today. Wonder what this is gonna do to the old wait time … fml

Same.

Best hope is for a quick injunction somewhere. Say... Fifth Ciecuit.
Daddy-O5
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Don't think the atf can waive that tax. Only Congress.

They are going to trap people into having to pay when they say just it in the freebie.

ATF attempting to do a lot that "only congress can do" these days.
AggieT
AG
drummer0415 said:

I read it as "submitted" to the Federal Register. It has not yet officially posted... or has it? What's the effective date?

Lowers sound interesting.
drummer0415
AG
That is a very good question and I'm seeing some conflicting info of when is the cutoff date that you were supposed to already have it in your possession.

If I can find a definitive source that answers I will share.
jpb1999
AG
tandy miller said:

Can't have only the buffer tube. Also, using tension on the sling is a no go as well since it stabilizes. This is ****ing ridiculous. **** the ATF.

Huh? Are you saying you can't have an old fashioned pistol with a buffer tube?

Spane Bohem

Proc92
Seems like a good place for the House of Representatives to look at defunding an agency.
tandy miller
AG
Look at item iv. That's how I read it, though I admittedly may be wrong

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.