Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2018

461,124 Views | 2229 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
SteveBott
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BQ is in Paige Texas. He has posted that multiple times. Lucky ******* has 10 acres, a pond, nice house (seen it) and living a life most of you dream for.
Mostly Sunny Disposition
AG
My bad for not searching. Paige makes a Lot of sense regarding the snake population.
zooguy96
Hopefully I will see more snakes soon. Moving from an apartment to a 1.5 acre new construction house in East Tenn with a view of the mountains in the winter.

Life is good.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
SteveBott
AG
He has high end breeders dogs. .

Needs to keep clear the pens.
SteveBott
AG
Oh and BQ is not a mill house. Last titter a couple years ago. I think.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Just read on a friend's Facebook post that they killed a rat snake. They knew it was a rat snake and they still killed it.

I'm wanting to respond but my affinity for profanity might upset them. I want to write "are you *****ing stupid or do you really enjoy rats and mice in your house?"
BullSprig07
AG
Count me in as someone converted away from "the only good snake is a dead snake" line of thought through this thread. I had never really read through it until an encounter the other day and then read through the whole thing.

Monday I was following my 3yo son on his bike down the sidewalk of our street. I looked up and he was about a foot away from running over about a 3ft snake sprawled out in the sidewalk. I scooped him up and we fell into the neighbors yard as his bike crashed. I just saw "dark snake with pattern" and automatically overreacted thinking water moccasin and went to my yard to get a shovel.

Snake was gone by the time I got back which is lucky because I was not thinking logically (in my defense being a parent will do that to you sometimes) and was totally in Dad-protector mode and would have killed what was obviously in hindsight a hognose.

As far as if I find a copperhead or an actual cottonmouth in my yard where my kid plays? Not sure I've come around far enough to just "relocate" yet. But the whole ordeal made a huge impression on my boy, we looked at a bunch of the pictures of snakes on this thread and talked about how "we leave snakes alone and they will leave us alone."
4stringAg
AG
Coming up dry this year so far on snake sightings around Memphis area. I fish a lot locally and have seen only a couple of water snakes to date. Going to Penn in mid summer up to the wife's family cabin so may see some timber rattlers up there.
Burdizzo
AG

This picture was actually from Fall 2017. Old family friend with an excavating business posted this on his Facebook page.
quanah

Blue indigo having a snack in Carrizo Springs
12f Mane
zooguy96
Story about when I was moving back to TN......

I had already driven the moving truck. Had to fly back and drive my own truck back. Had to move the snakes too. I had them in Tupperware containers with small holes. My truck was packed to the gills, and I literally had no space.

At some point, one of my baby corn snakes got out because the HEB level in-store container had opened. Had no idea where it was, and was not going to take out all my stuff in freezing weather at 4 am in the morning with 2 whiny cats.

I drive the next 10 hours and unloaded each item looking for the snake. Couldn't find it anywhere. This was in the middle of December. We got about 6 inches of snow the next day, and it was below freezing for the entire week. I ransacked be truck and looked everywhere, but couldn't find it.

A week later, I'm opening the passenger side door, and I see it in the door hinge. Somehow, it had stayed alive during sub-20 degree weather and not been squished.

Crazy little ******* - I still have him.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
ilikeit
quanah said:

Blue indigo having a snack in Carrizo Springs
God's country
1990AG
AG
hard to make it out in the picture, what is he eating?
12f Mane
AG
Great Plains (southwestern) ratsnake
1990AG
AG
Somebody tell that Indigo that we don't kill rat snakes!
agent-maroon
AG
Indigo snake don't care. It takes what it wants
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Finn Maccumhail
AG

Despite the slappies in the hood who were adamant that this is a water moccasin I said yellow belly water snake but others said plain belly. Is there a legitimate difference?

This is the Upper East Side of Houston.
12f Mane
AG
No difference. Same species.
Oruc Reis
AG
Cottonmouth? Found dead

Your Friend
Looks like a plain belly
mrsbeer05
AG
Can someone post a picture of a cottonmouth next to a yellow-bellied water snake? I can usually pick out the ybws when I can see the belly, but not sure I could make the comparison side-by-side.
DDSO
AG
Who wants to post a pic of a timber rattler for me? PM your number and I will text it to you.
12f Mane
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

Can someone post a picture of a cottonmouth next to a yellow-bellied water snake? I can usually pick out the ybws when I can see the belly, but not sure I could make the comparison side-by-side.

Cottonmouth:

Yellowbelly:

"blotched" like you would see in central Texas:
12f Mane
AG
DDSO said:

Who wants to post a pic of a timber rattler for me? PM your number and I will text it to you.
Location?
12f Mane
AG
watersnake
DDSO
AG
Just west of Crockett, near the Trinity river.
1990AG
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

Water snake has vertical lines under the jaw....

THANKS OB!!
txags92
AG
mrsbeer05 said:

Look at the lower jaw line and the area behind the eye. The cottonmouth will typically have a lighter colored horizontal stripe behind the eye and the ybws will have a lighter lower jaw with vertical dark lines along the jawline.
Oruc Reis
AG
Thanks, didn't see vertical jaw lines so wasn't sure
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Just catching up and this is still the best thread on the site.

I'm sure most of you are like me who silently high five yourself as you slowly scroll down to see the full pic and location and get the right answer from the vast tutorial here.

The smart ass comments are a bonus. Don't ever kill a non-poisonous snek and don't bedazzle temporary captives to prove they are repeat offenders.
AgEng06
AG
double post
AgEng06
AG
*non-venomous

Maybe you should read through the thread again.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
AgEng06 said:

*non-venomous

Maybe you should read through the thread again.
Come now, that was obviously in the smart ass comment section of my post. Intentional.
AgEng06
AG
Damn, you're right. I was distracted by college baseball and didn't pay enough attention.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.