Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2018

459,277 Views | 2229 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
Badace52
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yellow bellies are usually not bad...

Cottonmouth belly (venomous):

Copperhead belly (venomous):

Coral snake belly (venomous):

Western diamondback belly (venomous):

Speckled kingsnake belly (non-venomous):

Yellow bellied water snake belly (non-venomous):

Yellow bellied racer belly (non-venomous):

Ring-necked snake belly (mildly venomous but completely harmless to people):
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Col. Steve Austin
AG
This nice looking milk snake was on the driveway yesterday when we got home from our family Easter gathering. As I approached, he didn't even move until I gave him a gentle nudge to send him back into the woods.

12th Man Ag
AG
Wait, now we have to be able to ID them by their bellies too?!?!
12f Mane
AG
Good looking snake. Location?
Col. Steve Austin
AG
12f Mane said:

Good looking snake. Location?
SE Montgomery County, a little north of New Caney. Length was maybe 28-30".

It's only the 2nd snake I've seen so far in 2018 which is pretty odd as we live on 3 mostly wooded acres with other similar plots around us. Usually have seen some copperheads by now, especially when I am tromping around in the wooded areas and burning brush piles like I did a week ago. The only other snake I've seen was a Texas brown, didn't bother taking his picture.
KenAg06
AG

20 miles south of Rocksprings. Didn't know copperheads were even in the area.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Neither did I
12f Mane
AG
Copperheads are throughout the lower portion of west Texas, in Big Bend, and up to the Davis Mountains.
ellebee
Tursiops93 said:

Snake related because it scared the hell outta my wife! She saw it move and didn't bother to look good enough to see it was a lizard...LOL! Texas Spiny Lizard correct? First one I've ever seen. Spring Branch, TX.

Love these. I have a ton of them around the house here in Austin. Have a giant one living under my deck right now and several smaller ones. I've tried to catch them for years but they are quick!
YellowPot_97
AG
Got one I'm stumped on. 5'+ long. In Bryan today. Not aggressive or afraid.

ttha_aggie_09
AG
Coachwhip, I believe
Badace52
AG
Coachwhip... Cool dark color on that one. Nice snake!
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
YellowPot_97
AG
coachwhip was my thought as well. but I don't think I've ever seen a black one and usually they just haul ass.
Badace52
AG
Was it early morning... could have been cold and trying to warm up.
CM
YellowPot_97
AG
5 in the afternoon. he wasn't too concerned about us checking him out, even when I went for his tail.
Badace52
AG
Definitely weird for a coachwhip... but that is undoubtedly a coachwhip. The general shape and large scales with two tone coloration are pathognomonic.
CM
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I believe the eastern variations tend to be darker, like shown above. I'll defer to 12fmane though
12f Mane
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I believe the eastern variations tend to be darker, like shown above. I'll defer to 12fmane though

Correct, and they generally fade to a lighter color towards the tail. But for whatever reason Brazos County seems to have a higher concentration of nearly all black individuals.
Allen76
AG
pathognomonic
pathognomonic
pathognomonic

Badace52
AG
I know the eastern ones are darker. The weirdness I was referring to was that it didn't take off or get aggressive. I have never seen a coachwhip that hung around long enough for me to even try to and snap a pic.
CM
Oruc Reis
AG
saw my first hognose the other day. Outside of Athens

12f Mane
AG
Did you stab it to death with toothpicks?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
12f Mane said:

Did you stab it to death with toothpicks?

I was thinking a cedar limb but I like your description better
TheClaw07
AG
I assumed he hit it with a porcupine. Bold strategy.
Bobcat-Ag
ellebee said:

Tursiops93 said:

Snake related because it scared the hell outta my wife! She saw it move and didn't bother to look good enough to see it was a lizard...LOL! Texas Spiny Lizard correct? First one I've ever seen. Spring Branch, TX.

Love these. I have a ton of them around the house here in Austin. Have a giant one living under my deck right now and several smaller ones. I've tried to catch them for years but they are quick!
You should just ask my kids, they catch them all the time!
ellebee
Bobcat-Ag said:

ellebee said:

Tursiops93 said:

You should just ask my kids, they catch them all the time!

Nobody asked you
TxKng82
AG

Cousin posted this...can't see head or tail to 100% identify.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Location?

Lots of shadows mixed in the picture but it's looks like a light patterned Diamondback Water Snake to me.
TxKng82
AG
FB photo tag says Brookshire. He's a surveyor in the greater Houston area
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm sticking with DWS

By the way, his head is in the pic and he's doing a very good "I'm venomous" Head flattening.
TxKng82
AG
That was my first thought when he posted it
OE_Ag11
AG
What is it? Didn't like humans for sure kept booking it whenever I would try to get close enough for a picture so sorry for the quality. Was also at twilight so phone was having an issue.

ellebee
My guess is rat snake
12f Mane
AG
Young ratsnake
ellebee
YESSSS!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.