Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2018

459,402 Views | 2229 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
vander54
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Just curious how many snakes are the exception to that mnemonic?
World's worst proofreader
Badace52
AG
In Texas, very few. Coachwhips occasionally get pretty high up sunning themselves on top of brush, copperheads sometimes get into the lower forks of trees waiting on cicada nymphs. Few other snakes ever leave the ground and the two I just mentioned are usually ground dwelling as well. Occasionally you will see a garter or ribbon snake chasing prey on a fenceline, but they don't like to leave the ground either. Rough green snakes and rat snakes are the two species I have found above ground level the most frequently by a long shot.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MouthBQ98
AG
Water snakes like climbing trees around water, FWIW.

I haven't posted in a while because the intense summer drought at my place apparently ran off all the snakes. In two months I have seen only one small copperhead.
labmansid
Badace52 said:

In Texas, very few. Coachwhips occasionally get pretty high up sunning themselves on top of brush, copperheads sometimes get into the lower forks of trees waiting on cicada nymphs. Few other snakes ever leave the ground and the two I just mentioned are usually ground dwelling as well. Occasionally you will see a garter or ribbon snake chasing prey on a fenceline, but they don't like to leave the ground either. Rough green snakes and rat snakes are the two species I have found above ground level the most frequently by a long shot.
Just this past spring I was down on Galveston Island at a popular birding site to photograph spring migrants. While waiting for some action during the frequent lulls in bird activity, I caught some movement close to me out of the corner of my eye and heard something plop down on the ground from an overhead branch. In short order, a woman sitting close by let out a squeal. I looked down, and there was a young garter snake on the ground. I was about to reach down and pick it up, but it quickly regained it's composure and slithered off into the nearby brush. I was a bit shocked that it was in the tree, but apparently it does happen on occasion.
BuddysBud
AG

First snake that I have seen in a long time. Near a small pond in Grimes County.
Small diamond back water snake?
It head is an odd shape. I wonder if it had just finished swallowing something.
Badace52
12f Mane
Post removed:
by user
ProgN
Ok guys, I just walked on the side of my house because my daughter left the hose on (wtf was she doing watering, but I digress) The grass up against the house is high and thick, wife's been on my ass about it. I almost step on a snake. It scurried into the tall grass but it looked like it had a yellow stripe on it's side. Now everyone here already knows I'm a ***** about snakes. However, because of this thread, I not only didn't kill it I got a broom stick and my phone hoping to get a pic for the board. I failed in my attempt but I wanted you to know there is a snake ALIVE in the grass by house because of what I've learned from you guys, thank you.
Badace52
AG
Brother's co-worker offed this poor guy in Cuero this AM
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
JSKolache
AG
Badace52 said:

Brother's co-worker offed this poor guy in Cuero this AM

at least redeem himself partially by making a hatband
tx4guns
AG
Any snake collectors on here? My buddy has a kingsnake and 2 boas he's looking to find a loving home for. He inherited them from his recently deceased brother.
zooguy96
tx4guns said:

Any snake collectors on here? My buddy has a kingsnake and 2 boas he's looking to find a loving home for. He inherited them from his recently deceased brother.

What kind of kingsnake? I may be interested. Also, what kind of boas? I know a guy in Austin who might take them.
tx4guns
AG
I don't know. Don't even have pics.
zooguy96
tx4guns said:

I don't know. Don't even have pics.

Ok, just find out and PM me.
Cromagnum
AG
Harrison Ford would never visit 12F's property.
12f Mane
AG
Cromagnum said:

Harrison Ford would never visit MouthBQ98's property.
FIFY
ProgN
12f Mane said:

Cromagnum said:

Harrison Ford would never visit MouthBQ98's property.
FIFY
I would never visit MouthBQ's property either.
geb83
AG
Quote:

Regarding Coach Whips, as a young teen in Hays Co (Lone Man Creek) my older brother was a snake freak. Coming back from the river one day in the old Land Rover he spots a blonde coach going quickly up a cedar tree. Much to my dad's objections he jumps out of the rover and goes up the tree after it. Dad allows him to walk the 1/2 mile home on his own. Long story short, he handles that snake and makes it a semi pet the rest of the day. When mom finally said he needs to let snake go, the snake crawled up into an old chair on the patio (wrapped himself around uncovered slats in the chair), and hung out w/ us till we went in for bed.

On waking the next day, we went out to see if was still there in the chair . . . it was not. " But look up" . . . i $ht you not, it was up in an old live oak by the patio just hanging out, about 12' up. It stayed there until we left the cabin to go back home. Snake acted like a damned stray dog that we found and fed.
SteveBott
AG
I was like your brother in my youth. Me a few kids would roam the neighborhoods all day looking for snakes.
agent-maroon
AG
+1 for childhood snake hunting. Spent nearly every day of about 4 summers catching Western Hognoses out on the outskirts of Lubbock (which is now just to the east of the South Plains Mall).
Spotted Ag
AG
Sucker was 15 ft from my front door. About 18" from my hand when I reached for a water hose. Tried to hide in underground next to my foundation. Had to dig him up. Not today ISIS snake, not today.
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
12f Mane
AG
That was quite dramatic
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Why all the drama over a rat snake?
1990AG
AG
I dont think that one was "high as his hat"!
12f Mane
AG
No offence, but the commonality in venomous snake encounter stories is funny to me. Always played up as if you were in grave danger, which isn't usually the case.

Details to post or include in the story are usually
1. how close in inches you were to certain death
2. where the snake was or went when plotting its attack on you
3. insult and negative adjective
4. mention of kids or pets
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Spot on!

I really don't care that people kill venomous snakes on their property, especially with kids around.

What bothers me is the fact that the likelihood of getting bit increases exponentially when an inexperienced person "chases" after or hunts one down. You're way more likely to get bit trying to kill one.
1990AG
AG
I hear you, but if a rattlesnake is coiled up next to my water hose by the house, he's got to go.

What this thread HAS done for me is that if it were to be a copperhead instead, i'd likely relocate him with a long shovel to the woods
Spotted Ag
AG
12f Mane said:

No offence, but the commonality in venomous snake encounter stories is funny to me. Always played up as if you were in grave danger, which isn't usually the case.

Details to post or include in the story are usually
1. how close in inches you were to certain death
2. where the snake was or went when plotting its attack on you
3. insult and negative adjective
4. mention of kids or pets
No offense taken.

Everything in my post was an accurate representation of what happened. My wife and 3 kids walk by that spot EVERYDAY. Multiple families with small kids were on their way to our home and would be walking directly by where this snake was found. So make light of my actions all you want but I wouldn't change a thing about the way I handled it.

We handle rat snakes at our house and relocate them away from the house. Being as we have never seen rattlers on our property, the situation was used as a learning experience so that my kids could identify how this one was different.

As to whether I was in "grave danger", probably not, but getting tagged on the hand would be an expensive trip to the ER. One I'd rather not have to pay for.
Covidians, Communists, CNN, FOX, and all other MSM are enemies of the state and should be treated as such.
12f Mane
AG
I have no issue with people killing venomous snakes around their house. Makes total sense. I read and am told a lot of stories about encounters and a lot seem to have a tone that the snake is plotting/aware/attacking. Snakes are really dumb. They are just there to take advantage of something provided in your yard or were displaced from somewhere nearby. The tone is the thing that is a pet peeve.
zooguy96
I think what most would say (who are experienced in handling venomous snakes) is that they are rarely, if ever, aggressive.

Now, again, I'd never berate someone who kills a venomous snake on their own land with kids. Not a big deal IMhO. Not something I would do.
Counterpoint
AG
12f Mane said:

I have no issue with people killing venomous snakes around their house. Makes total sense. I read and am told a lot of stories about encounters and a lot seem to have a tone that the snake is plotting/aware/attacking. Snakes are really dumb. They are just there to take advantage of something provided in your yard or were displaced from somewhere nearby. The tone is the thing that is a pet peeve.
GIS for "plotting snake"

Daddy-O5
AG

ID? Taken from a friends FB.
Badace52
AG
At least one rough earth snake, possibly two.
CM
Daddy-O5
AG
Thank you. That was my uneducated guess. Very interesting on the possibility of more than 1, did not see that but I get where you're coming from.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.