Outdoors
Sponsored by

Snake Thread 2018

461,171 Views | 2229 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by JD Shellnut
12f Mane
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just one. I think that is just leaves.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Are those leaves venomous?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
bh93 said:

Are those leaves poisonous?

FIFY
Superdave1993
AG
In for another year!
DDSO
AG
Thanks.

I am not a big fan of snakes but I really enjoy these threads and learn a lot.
dolch
AG
Ready to make some contributions for 2018.
SteveBott
AG
best thread on TA
AZAG08
AG
SteveBott said:

best thread on TA
...3 years running!
C4D
AG
N for year 3
Awesome
Tursiops93
AG
A buddy posted this on FB and I thought it was pretty cool! Think it was in Louisiana somewhere on the Ouachita River.
Badace52
AG
Tursiops93 said:

A buddy posted this on FB and I thought it was pretty cool! Think it was in Louisiana somewhere on the Ouachita River.

Ooooh he mad...
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ol Jock 99
AG
In
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Badace52 said:

Tursiops93 said:

Ooooh he mad...

Any chance that snake was dead from the cold and the guy who took the picture posed the snake like that?

I'm far from an expert but I've gotta think a water moccasin wouldn't be out and about if it's cold enough to for the river to be iced over and if it were out I don't know if it could survive temps that low.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Rat snake joke.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
blindey said:

Rat snake joke.

I could be wrong on my ID but I'm usually pretty good.

The relative bulk of that snake sitting on the ice, the quick taper down to the tail, etc point me to cottonmouth but the view of the head seems like it might not be.
GinaLinetti
AG
Saw that on a snake id group on Facebook. Herps id'ed it as a cottonmouth. Whoever posted it there said it was in talahassee, al

Cool pic.
Daddy-O5
AG
I was just thinking I hadn't seen a post on the last thread in FOREVER.

In.
Badace52
AG
It's absolutely a cottonmouth and pretty sure it's a live one. It was likely scared out of hiding onto the ice before the person took the picture.
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Since snake sightings are down, I figure those on this thread might find this pretty interesting:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/11/alligators-seen-frozen-north-carolina-pond-snouts-water-survive/amp/

mrsbeer05
AG
Awesome! They can hold their breath for up to a day! I'm teaching an adaptation lesson today, totally sharing this.
MouthBQ98
AG
I can't see too well, but the distinct dark lines delineating the large scales around the mouth of that snake scream watersnake. If I could see the head better I would be able to tell easily.
AgEng06
AG
Uhh, that's a gator...

Badace52
AG
Are you talking about Tursiop's post? If you are, there is no question that is a cottonmouth. It has a dark eye band, keeled scales, fat body with a smaller thin tail, and pit viper shaped head.
CM
Serious Lee
that was a disappointing video. the little kid in me would have thrown a rock at one of those gators to get a reaction. the adult would have at least poked it in the mouth with a stick to prove to the viewers that it was still alive.
MouthBQ98
AG
Some water snakes have keeled scales and are fat, and even have a viper shapes head to a degree. I agree it is probably a moccasin but in the pic i cant make out the black and creme cheek banding or the eye peaks due to the pic angle. If I could see it move i'd knowin an instant, as they move differently than water snakes.
------------------------------------------------------

"The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise."
- Tacitus

"The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function."
- Albert Bartlett

"Not only was it authentic D.C. libberish, it expressed a level of delusion too often seen in this day and age." /A. Johnson
Badace52
AG
It doesn't look remotely like and water snake species I'm aware of. For me that's 100% cottonmouth...
CM
carpe vinum
AG
I saw a Texas Brown today sunning him/herself on the flagstone patio today.
Couldn't believe it.
There is a valve box about 6" from that spot so I guess my patio is also his patio.
ellebee
Finn Maccumhail said:

Badace52 said:

Tursiops93 said:

Ooooh he mad...

Any chance that snake was dead from the cold and the guy who took the picture posed the snake like that?

I'm far from an expert but I've gotta think a water moccasin wouldn't be out and about if it's cold enough to for the river to be iced over and if it were out I don't know if it could survive temps that low.

Why do you think he was so pissed?
agent-maroon
AG

Venomous Snakes Out-Even in Winter

Article in my email earlier today.
G. hirsutum Ag
AG
Found this guy in my backyard! What kind of snake is it?
AgEng06
AG
The same one it was in the 2017 thread...
G. hirsutum Ag
12th Man Ag
AG
And in the 2016 thread!
ursusguy
AG
Didn't get a photo, but spotted a cottonmouth in NW Fort Worth yesterday. Very sluggish at the time.

Snake is perfectly fine.
ellebee
ursusguy said:

Didn't get a photo, but spotted a cottonmouth in NW Fort Worth yesterday. Very sluggish at the time.

Snake is perfectly fine.

Did he have a neon Mohawk?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.