**** Official Sim City Thread ****

47,798 Views | 920 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by wasabi1787
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lighten up Francis!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9VClRhU404&feature=player_embedded
Cromagnum
AG
I created an alt region for now "TexAgs Alt Region" on Euro West 1.
tallgrant
I don't have the game yet, but am fascinated watching the train wreck of a launch its having...
bbattbq01
AG
accept my friend and invite me cro!!! Finally a server that looks like it might let me play the game??!?!
Teacher_Ag
AG
Is the no cheetah speed thing a permanent change or only temporarily until they can improve server capacity or whatever?
bbattbq01
AG
temporary
wee_ag
AG
Euro West 1 is working... not sure I want to start on a third server...
Madmarttigan
AG
im able to do cheeta so dunno what that is all about
benMath08
AG
quote:
im able to do cheeta so dunno what that is all about

Play close attention to the time. There's no difference between speed 2 and 3 now.
wee_ag
AG
I'm not missing the option to change servers without restarting the game am I?
javajaws
AG
Well, I've been on one of the American servers all night (since ~5pm) without a single problem.

Except for the damn cheetah speed! I thought they were only supposed to go back to the server every 3 minutes to sync?

Disabling cheetah speed implies they are going back to the server much more frequently than that and they turned it off to lighten the load on their servers. The dude who designed that brilliant idea should be shot.

I thought D3 was bad, but this tops the chart as far as all time launch failures go.

On a side note, I am still intrigued by the level of complexity the game offers when you are actually playing it. It is by far the best city simulator ever.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
I'm not missing the option to change servers without restarting the game am I?

Nope, you're not missing it. It's annoying the heck out of me having to quit, re-authenticate, click play, exit game, re-authenticate, click play, exit game...
Madmarttigan
AG
Ok, ive been stuck at 30 thousand pop for a long time. My map is maxed out... I've built parks, schools, police in the residential area... I can't get my density to go up at all really.
Madmarttigan
AG
Up in the 50s now but still struggling with population. Cro I think my city is next to yours on the region.

Is it possible to make a railroad connection to cities next to you? I might of made a mistake but I'm heavy into tourism and the only way in my city is the highway and and my
Airport so I'm kind of hampered.
Cromagnum
AG
I'm not sure on the RR (but it would be stupid if they designed it so you couldn't join them). I won't have a chance to play today, so I'll mess around with it this weekend.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
Is it possible to make a railroad connection to cities next to you? I might of made a mistake but I'm heavy into tourism and the only way in my city is the highway and and my airport so I'm kind of hampered.

If you want to use regional transports, make sure that both sides have the required items. For trains, both sides need stations. For busses you need to make sure the destination city has bus stops. For ferry, both sides need ferry docks. Be patient when you build them, it can take the little morons a few days to figure out that they can use them.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG

[This message has been edited by mickeyrig06sq3 (edited 3/8/2013 8:56a).]
JJxvi
AG
Anybody still working in the original Aggieland? I've got a mining/industrial city off in a corner on my own, assuming regional RCI and commuting works right, probably an opp for somebody to get a city down without worrying about industry too much.
dietcola84
quote:
Ok, ive been stuck at 30 thousand pop for a long time. My map is maxed out... I've built parks, schools, police in the residential area... I can't get my density to go up at all really.

Did you upgrade your streets to be high density?
JJxvi
AG
bbattbq01
AG
JJ, I couldn't get the NA1 server to work last night, but once I can I'll be back to playing there. (Or start to play there, really, since I've only managed to claim a spot).

Played alt aggieland last night since that was the only server that seemed to work for me.
JJxvi
AG
Yeah I think your spot is one of the ones on my side of the region. There is also one unclaimed spot, and BadMoonRisin I think has claimed a spot near me as well, but he currently has two claimed cities in the region, not sure which one he will pick.
AgDev01
AG
Going to pick up the game tonight. If anyone has a spot open in a region my origin name is agdev01.
benMath08
AG
If you've claimed more than one city by accident in "Aggieland", please try and abandon one of them, servers permitting of course.

Can someone else could attempt to claim Palomino? We need to see if there's something that needs to be done to free it up. I'm about 80% sure I claimed that city by accident at the very beginning and abandoned it, and I don't have the deluxe version so I don't know why it would be stuck.
dietcola84
Someone built a 650k population city with one road in sandbox mode. This really shows you how much the small city size limits things. I want to be able to build a city with a population of 2 million+.

http://imgur.com/a/gVKs3
JJxvi
AG
It'd be cool if the big business HQ's you put in your cities had individual company names.
bbattbq01
AG
So I only have one, JJ? That's good... I saw I had two and was trying to abandon one but the server wasn't letting me. I guess it finally went through.

Hopefully I'll get some playtime this weekend... it really was fun seeing the interaction with other cities in the Alt Aggieland region, should be lot's more fun with more than the 3 of us that were playing there!
JJxvi
AG
Yeah pretty sure I only saw your avatar over one of the cities now.
tremble
AG
Guess they're waiting until the inevitable expansion pack of SimTropolis before they let you build big ones.
benMath08
AG
I'm going to try the alternate region on EU West 1 if someone can send me an invite.
JJxvi
AG
If they had an expansion pack that got rid of city tiles and changed them to borders with annexation, and resources within the region that could be claimed/bought/annexed, and didnt even touch the rest of the city gameplay I would probably consider it the greastest game of all-time. Maybe not feasible, dunno.

[This message has been edited by JJxvi (edited 3/8/2013 10:54a).]
BadMoonRisin
AG
quote:
Going to pick up the game tonight. If anyone has a spot open in a region my origin name is agdev01

At this point, this is a huge mistake. Wait til the fix the servers or else you will have a bad time.
wee_ag
AG
quote:
Someone built a 650k population city with one road in sandbox mode. This really shows you how much the small city size limits things. I want to be able to build a city with a population of 2 million+.

http://imgur.com/a/gVKs3
That's very interesting... and one a similar note - my experiment in city interdependence looks to be a success. I've got residential, commercial and industrial specific cities running with rail, bus and ferry services between each. So far, they are successfully traveling between each for work and shopping. Industrial city is selling power, sewage and garbage services to the other two and Commercial city is selling water. I did have to plop a small block of residential to get the ball rolling for power and water plants to kick on until Residential city had enough sims to travel.

I've been rotating between the three cities playing 10-15 minutes in each on llama/cheetah speed to get them to develop. It's early (only played maybe and hour in each city including set-up time) so time will tell if this works in the long run.

[This message has been edited by wee_ag (edited 3/8/2013 11:15a).]
JJxvi
AG
quote:
At this point, this is a huge mistake. Wait til the fix the servers or else you will have a bad time.

Yeah! Plus you'll be taking up valuable server space!!!
bbattbq01
AG
My industrial zones kept getting abandoned last night saying they had nowhere to send their goods, how do you fix that?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.