**** Official Sim City Thread ****

46,842 Views | 920 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by wasabi1787
benMath08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.geek.com/articles/games/following-800-poor-reviews-amazon-stops-selling-download-copies-of-simcity-2013037/
Amazon won't sell any more copies until the servers are fixed. Hopefully this puts some pressure on EA. I wonder how many people were asking Amazon for refunds. This really is a shame, because once you're actually able to play the game it's a lot of fun.

[This message has been edited by benMath08 (edited 3/7/2013 5:18p).]
dietcola84
I can get to the create region screen now, but I can't claim a city. Making progress....
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
I'm trying to do the interdependent city strategy, but it's like playing Russian roulette when I try to switch to another city in the region.
dietcola84
I don't even get to play Russian roulette.
Aggiethruthicknthin
AG
still cant get on. it says start the tutorial I click it, it acts like its doing stuff and then boom error
Cromagnum
AG
Mine just says "cant connect to servers, try again". Eff EA right in their ass. Last game I buy from them.
javajaws
AG
I just logged in to NA 2 and didn't have any problems...

If anyone wants to start a new region or has an opening in another region started this evening, let me know. Origin ID is javajaws.
benMath08
AG
If we're going to start a new region eventually anyways, we might as well do it on a less populated server.
dietcola84
I just got in on the Oceanic server. If you just want to play by yourself that is a good option. I heard that all of the servers are located in California, so it really doesn't matter where you play. It seems to be the North American servers that are overloaded right now.
benMath08
AG
I just logged into East 1 and am playing in the TexAgs region. I sent invites to everyone left. Give it a shot if you're able.
Average Joe
AG
Just installed and I am finishing getting set up. Origin name is AverageJoeAg.
Cromagnum
AG
Here's how EA is handling refunds:

wee_ag
AG
Origin responded to that on twitter:
quote:
Regarding a rumor: We will not ban players for requesting refunds. Please review our returns & cancellations policy: help.ea.com/article/returns-and-cancellations
take it for what it's worth.
bbattbq01
AG
Wow EA is a trainwreck.
Cromagnum
AG
Wow, now this god freaking damned game is telling me I need to reinstall it.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG

More fun to be found at EA forums
Cromagnum
AG
Best one:

Cromagnum
AG
Actually no, the truth hurts more.

Cromagnum
AG
Damnit! I reinstalled, applied the patch and finally got in. Two seconds later, booted "sorry simcity servers are currently down"
BadMoonRisin
AG
Doesnt really matter if a server is FULL, BUSY, Or AVAILABLE...you're probably not gonna get in.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
At this point the best thing they could do is to just shut down access to the servers. Spend the time building the new servers and then re-launch the game Saturday.

Offer free DLC package to players and be done with it. It's this whole hokey pokey dance we're doing that is really causing the bad PR.
BadMoonRisin
AG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLYLmsEBGug

****ing liarz!
BadMoonRisin
AG
quote:
At this point the best thing they could do is to just shut down access to the servers. Spend the time building the new servers and then re-launch the game Saturday.

Offer free DLC package to players and be done with it. It's this whole hokey pokey dance we're doing that is really causing the bad PR.

That would assume that they were capable of admitting it was their mistake.

Did you read their press release when this started? It was something like "Apparently, a lot of people wanted to play our game, so the servers are acting up!"

Complete lack of responsibility is why the PR is so bad. They arent saying "Sorry. We messed up. Bare with us."
Cromagnum
AG
Over 1400 reviews on Amazon, over 1250 are 1 star rating.

Latest from IGN (good on them btw):
I still have to recommend that you stay away from SimCity for the time being. The latest word is that "non essential services" are being disabled to lighten the load on servers (I can't imagine the leaderboards and achievements were getting a lot of use anyway when many people can't even play), so we'll see how that shakes out today and tomorrow.

Update: Holy smokes, EA and I have very different definitions of "non-essential services." Even if I could get in right now – which I can't, because I'm stuck in yet another loading queue – I don't think I even want to play without Cheetah Speed, the fastest time acceleration. There's already quite a bit of waiting around before you can gather enough cash to buy something like your first $30,000 police station or a coal mine, but this will tip the balance of the pacing drastically in favor of tedium. It's now basically futile to play. Also, Amazon.com has pulled SimCity from its download store. To any Europeans reading: just stay away. Save yourself the frustration.

Who'd have thought things would get worse before they got better?
Madmarttigan
AG
This is epic, yarrrr
wee_ag
AG
quote:
@simcity
#SimCity server update: NA West 2 and NA East 1 are now available.
Cromagnum
AG
Makes me wonder who will crack the DRM to be able to play first...EA or the pirates.
Cromagnum
AG
If they can't get it to work Monday night through Thursday night, this weekend is totally fecked.
wee_ag
AG
Can you get a refund? http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/08/can-you-get-a-refund-for-simcity

And why not sign a petition calling for no more DRM? www.change.org/petitions/electronic-arts-inc-remove-always-online-drm-from-simcity-and-future-games

[This message has been edited by wee_ag (edited 3/7/2013 8:14p).]
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
quote:
@simcity
#SimCity server update: NA West 2 and NA East 1 are now available.

I think the only person playing on NE1 is Teo's girlfriend.
Cromagnum
AG
LOL. Now Gamespot is on the crappy review bandwagon.

http://www.gamespot.com/simcity/reviews/simcity-review-6405012/
bbattbq01
AG
Added my own 1 star review to amazon!
JJxvi
AG
Does EA still own Maxis? I bet Maxis is pissed.
bbattbq01
AG
and what the hell kind of fix is disabling cheetah speed??? Just make it so you don't lose as much when their server can't save your work? haha
JJxvi
AG
I bet the game pings the server with trade/tourist/region//etc info every so often, and so if youre in cheetah speed you use more bandwidth because it communicates more often.

[This message has been edited by Jjxvi (edited 3/7/2013 8:38p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.