**** Official Sim City Thread ****

46,904 Views | 920 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by wasabi1787
CDub06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Don't forget to claim your free game.
bbattbq01
AG
If only there were something worth claiming.
Teacher_Ag
AG
I don't know how much this new wave of ads can counter all of the bad word of mouth. I've personally dissuaded 5 or 6 people from buying it.
wee_ag
AG
Update 1.8 released:
quote:
Update 1.8

Road Improvements
• Improvements to cases when connecting a new road to an existing road that goes over uneven terrain.
• Tuned some of the road snapping priorities to address some edge cases where it wasn’t behaving as desired
• Fixed a case where a new road would sometimes cause an existing road to change its shape drastically.
• Made Upgrade Roads mini-tutorial appear at appropriate time.
• Fix to four lane bridge to improve divider line placement.

Text Improvements
• Clarified alerts about residents not moving in because of high taxes to state if it is residents, commercial businesses, or Industry that won't move in because of high taxes.
• Improved text and icons on cities in region view.
• Updated text for "Become a Suburban City" mission to improve clarity.
• Updated requirements text for HazMat garage for clarity.

General
• Police station can no longer hold more prisoners than the capacity.
• Added missing roof texture for certain commercial building.
• Added completion moment cinematic for Great Works.
• Visiting police cars have avatar of neighbor above them.
• Arcology Population reflects the population of the Arcology, not the city.
• Fixed a clog in the pipes where sewage would sometimes get backed up and act jittery.
• Region Wall will pop up when a new chat message has been received.
CDub06
AG
quote:
• Updated text for "Become a Suburban City" mission to improve clarity

And by clarification they mean fixing it because it was flat out wrong.
dietcola84
Those fixes. Jeebus. It's like nothing was quality checked before release. Also, they need to fix the core game mechanics before worrying about this type of BS.
rbcs_2
AG
quote:
• Police station can no longer hold more prisoners than the capacity.

So I gather these aren't American cities.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
Also, they need to fix the core game mechanics before worrying about this type of BS.

They have different teams responsible for different parts of the game. That's a different team. Now for the core mechanics team, come on, he's trying his best!!!!

bbattbq01
AG
Have they re-enabled Cheetah speed yet? I don't think I'm playing again until I can go fast...!
wee_ag
AG
No Cheetah - I imaging it will be posted as a bullet point when it's reactivated - they're (hopefully) aware everyone wants it back. They've gotten enough twitter feedback about it.
CDub06
AG
If you want cheetah mode, go download Simcity 4. There's no fast fwd in MMOs. /EA
wee_ag
AG
Anyone know how to flatten terrain so my residential will grow? The map I'm playing seems to be slopped the entire map and I can only get low density residential. After trailers are built, there's a drop off at the edge of the property and they complain that there's no room to expand. And yes, the roads are high density.

No terraforming is a killer.
Jacques
I had thought that some of the issues with the game could ultimately be fixed. But I don't think so.

Increasing city size is one thing. But you still have the fact that cities in a region aren't really very well joined. That doesn't strike me as an easy fix.
wee_ag
AG
If there's any interest, today starts a 7 day challenge to get 2.5 mil population in a region. 10% top fastest times get a special achievement.
CDub06
AG
Where is everyone playing now? Anyone still in Aggieland Take Two?
aggie_sprt
Is the game worth buying yet?
JJxvi
AG
I havent logged in for a couple weeks. My city is basically just making tons of cash from the industry/trade setup. Planning to wait for a couple updates before trying to retool.
CDub06
AG
quote:

No
wee_ag
AG
Scratch my last post about the 2.5mil challenge - they pushed it back 2 weeks. But maybe that means they hope to have a significant portion of the game fixed by then.

If anyone is interested in trying to tackle the challenge, we could start a trial region and give ourselves 7 days to reach the 2.5mil mark.
BadMoonRisin
AG
quote:

Even if they fix the servers so they wont roll back and everything works fine in that regard, the game wont ever be worth buying. They need to fix the fundamental flaws in the game and I dont think they will rebuild it from scratch.

If this didnt have the SimCity title and it was called BuildACity...it would have 2 star reviews and people would be making fun of it because of how ****ty and broken it is.
bbattbq01
AG
quote:

If this didnt have the SimCity title and it was called BuildACity...it would have 2 star reviews and people would be making fun of it because of how ****ty and broken it is.

Sad but true
BadMoonRisin
AG
http://twitter.com/MaxisGuillaume/status/316381732632920064

word on the street is the next patch will have an update to simulation interactions.

I will believe it when I see it. This guy lies quite a bit.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Do y'all think this will kill off the franchise?
Breggy Popup
AG
This will hurt EA much more than it will hurt SimCity unless the SimCity team stays under EA's thumb.

I also do not think the game is unfixable. There have been many MMO games that were completely broken right out of the gate that were fixed and enjoyable.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:

mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
@one2wonder @F2CMaDMaXX @maflobra The stakes are much higher when we're talking updating the simulation

@karelslaby @one2wonder @f2cmadmaxx @maflobra the patch is in QA's hands, they're making sure no new issue arise

Huh...QA use and screening before applying the patch? Shoulda thought about using that before releasing the friggin game.

[This message has been edited by mickeyrig06sq3 (edited 3/26/2013 3:48p).]
Predmid
AG
quote:
SimCity Game Thread

quote:
MMO games

There's your problem right there.
CDub06
AG
quote:
There have been many MMO games that were completely broken right out of the gate that were fixed and enjoyable.

Did those companies acknowledge the issues or tell their customers that they're just playing it wrong?
Jacques
quote:

I hope not and I also don't think so.

I mentioned on this thread or another one, can't recall, but every other Simcity has had it's problems.

The first SimCity was a good idea, but nothing like the second one, which was a major step up. Then there was a step back almost with the third one. Then the 4th one was great. And now the 5th one is bad again.

The 3 one was really, really bad. People were very disappointed with it.

The one problem is going to have is that freelancers out there have basically taken over SC4. There are tons of mods out there, some of which pretty substantially tweak game play. The engine is still the engine and there are some basic gameplay features you can't tweak, but you can control the size of the regions and cities and what they look like geographically. And that's a feature people really liked.
JJxvi
AG
3 was decent. It's major flaw was that they promised 3D sim city (which they only just now acheived in 2013), which was lunacy in 1997, and then delivered only a solid upgrade to 2000.
Jacques
After the immense popularity of 2, 3 was a major let down. On most simcity forums it was being trashed.

The problem was that people had invested a lot of time and effort in 2 not just in building cities, but building buildings. And it wasn't much of an upgrade. In fact, in a lot of ways it was a step back in game play even as it was a step forward graphically.
JJxvi
AG
Not how I remember it at all. They posted pics of a 3D fire station in PC Gamer and places like that, said that they were developing a fully 3D sim city. I think they even had a demonstration of the 3D game at E3 and it was awful. They finally had to shut down the game and remake it and when fans got it, it was closer to 2000, 2D isometric, than what was promised. I think it also released like a year after they planned it would. I don't recall anything about 3000 that was a step back, there just wasn't a huge step forward like they claimed there would be.
Jacques
If I recall it was just general gameplay issues.

2 hit just about all the right notes on playability. You could actually get sims on the freeways. That version of Simcity was actually probably the most easily playable engine they've developed. It was probably one of the easiest versions for allowing a gamer to develop a realistic, organically grown city. 3 as I recall it took a step back on a lot of that.

It was not the failure this new game is, though, I'll grant that.

The curious thing about this new game is that it's not just different in a bad way. It's inferior to other games out there like it. I love city simulation games. I'm not an avid gamer, but I do find it relaxing to fire up simcity in spare time and go to work in my sandbox. CitiesXL is closer to along the lines of what this game does and it does it better.

[This message has been edited by Jacques (edited 3/27/2013 9:13a).]
boogieman
AG
Are people still playing on the TexAgs12 on the Oceanic-2 server, or has it been abandoned?
bbattbq01
AG
I'm not playing until Cheetah speed is back.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.