**** Official Sim City Thread ****

46,843 Views | 920 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by wasabi1787
mickeyrig06sq3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
He automatically destroys your nuclear power plant if you have one?

Not automatically, but if your plant is in his planned path you're screwed.
dietcola84
quote:
quote:
He automatically destroys your nuclear power plant if you have one?

Not automatically, but if your plant is in his planned path you're screwed.

Is his planned path always to go for your garbage dump in a straight line? Does he always start in the center of the map?

[This message has been edited by dietcola84 (edited 3/9/2013 11:47p).]
Teacher_Ag
AG
Most of the worst aspects of this game are due to its environmental preaching.

Hey, Maxis people, read Power Hungry by Bryce and then get back to me.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Java, that's an awesome city. What are some of your tricks of the trade?
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
Is his planned path always to go for your garbage dump in a straight line? Does he always start in the center of the map?

Not sure, I always thought his starting point and path were random.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
Is anyone else having issues with recycling? I'm relying on them for my alloy for processors, but they just won't recycle waste even though both are stuck at 20/20 tons.

Looks like it is yet another wonderful game breaking bug.

http://answers.ea.com/t5/Miscellaneous-Issues/BUG-Recycling-centers/td-p/655292/highlight/false

The gist of it is that your recycling plant will just decide to stop processing the recyclables. You can have all the storage space in the world but it will just sit there.

What's really great is that this happened to me just after I made the switch to processor manufacturing, and now I'm bankrupt because I can't get raw materials.
Madmarttigan
AG
For whatever reason i make more money pumping out processors vs doing tvs and computers.
dietcola84
quote:
Most of the worst aspects of this game are due to its environmental preaching.

Hey, Maxis people, read Power Hungry by Bryce and then get back to me.

Also, the fact that you can build power plants so close to the heart of your city. Have you ever seen a skyscraper within 1-2 km of a coal power plant?
BadMoonRisin
AG
I had a solar farm with the best researched vert grids with hopes i could buy power from other regions.

This worked perfectly, until apparently the server stopped working correctly and couldn't correctly give power. My city lost about 80% of its high wealth residents cause they didnt want to live in a powerless cesspool.

Thanks EA.
Ag20??
AG
So, what do you chaps do about water? My fairly young city has evidently exhausted its supply. The only water table left is smack dab under the middle of downtown, and it's very minor...

Only about 10 kgals available from the region.
Madmarttigan
AG
Ive been wondering the same thing myself. I buy from my neighbors, and It seems as though my sewage treatment plant is putting water back into the ground that is usable.
dietcola84
quote:
I had a solar farm with the best researched vert grids with hopes i could buy power from other regions.

This worked perfectly, until apparently the server stopped working correctly and couldn't correctly give power. My city lost about 80% of its high wealth residents cause they didnt want to live in a powerless cesspool.

Thanks EA.

The same thing happened to me with my coal power plant. I even tried building a coal mine to get my own coal, but the plant wasn't getting coal. I had to demolish my coal plant and put in an oil plant which nearly bankrupt me.

For the water issue, you need to have a sewage treatment plant to replenish the water table. It's also supposed to replenish automatically from rain, but that seems to be bugged, or it's not working because of a server problem.
Cromagnum
AG
Im sure the rain is one feature they turned off to save bandwidth. You can pobably buy it in future DLC.
Ag20??
AG
Hmmm...wouldn't the sewage treatment plant lead to your water being contaminated?
Madmarttigan
AG
Is anyone interested in kind of making a new region as a take two?
benMath08
AG
quote:
So, what do you chaps do about water? My fairly young city has evidently exhausted its supply. The only water table left is smack dab under the middle of downtown, and it's very minor...

Only about 10 kgals available from the region.

I put my water pumping station next to the sewage treatment plant. Be sure you bulldoze the initial "regular" pump and only build filtered pumps. The poo water seems to create an endless supply of water to be treated.

Regarding coil and oil power plants: be sure you check the box to accept global deliveries, AND your traffic situation is such that the delivery truck can make it into town on time.

[This message has been edited by benMath08 (edited 3/10/2013 10:20a).]
javajaws
AG
quote:
Is anyone interested in kind of making a new region as a take two?

Come on over to Scotchland on NA E4, there's only 3 out of 16 cities started, but I'm about to start my second one. It's public, so no invite needed.
javajaws
AG
quote:
Java, that's an awesome city. What are some of your tricks of the trade?

The 3 P's of SimCity:

1) Practice laying out stuff on previous cities so you don't have to keep rebuilding stuff
2) Patience. Let the buildings evolve and progress.
3) Processors
Average Joe
AG
There is no invite needed, but I could not find a way to search for a game by name. I had to friend Javajaws in order to be able to find the game and join it. I may have missed where to search for a specific game, but I looked at every menu I could find.

I do hate that the areas are so small that I have to destroy something and redo it rather than expand first, then go back and rebuild what is messed up.
Madmarttigan
AG
Meh I started an Aggieland take two if any of you made some mistakes on your initial cities, want to make new ones, or if yours wont load anymore like one of mine.

Friend madmarttigan and message me
wee_ag
AG
Seems we have like 5 different Aggielands. Apparently nerds aren't very coordinated.

On that note - There's now an Antarctica 1 region. I'm hoping for snow covered regions, but I'm doubtful.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
Dangit, left the game on last night thinking that I had enough room to grow while I slept. I did... for a while. I doubled my population, but then water ran out, police station shut down, crime went through the roof, and *poof*. Came back online to 2K population, -20k per hour, and about 90% of my city in rubble.

Reboot time.
Ag20??
AG
I'll join the new Aggieland probably. I got shoe horned into a not so great region because I came late to the party on the other server. Plus it was my first city so mistakes abound lol.
Madmarttigan
AG
Just send madmarttigan a friend request Ill get you guys in the new aggieland region for a reboot.

Wee I think there are only 3 regions right now. 1 is on NA east 1 where I refuse to mess with it. Most of us are on the oceanic server where there is an aggieland. Now there is a second one since that one is mostly full and a lot of it is people's first city.
Cromagnum
AG
Someone please list out the servers and regions we are on. Im currently in two different ones with you guys. The first one was a train wreck so Im not goin back. May be interested in joining scotchland (seems to be the newest one)
AgDev01
AG
from what i have gathered there is:

NA East 1 - server issues

Oceanic 2 -

Aggieland - most peoples first towns.

Aggieland Take Two - the newest one

NA East 4 - Scotchland

I screwed up my town pretty bad in Aggieland so the take two game is appealing to me.
Sandman23
AG
Eventually I will be picking this up. I went ahead and added everyone and you guys can add me too.

Origin ID: LawSchoolSandman
Madmarttigan
AG
My city just got pwned by zombies!
JJxvi
AG
So is it not possible to search for a region?
Cromagnum
AG
I must suck at this game. Everytime my city gets to 100k pop, it stop going and I go broke. I see some of you got millions of cash floating around. Would be nice if the damned recycling center worked right.
AgDev01
AG
I just got hit by zombies, an earthquake and ****ing godzilla in about 2 hours...

JJxvi, i don't think so. Oceania 2 has a queue so i went to look for Scotchland and didn't see anywhere to search.

[This message has been edited by AgDev01 (edited 3/10/2013 6:31p).]
JJxvi
AG
That's what I did too.
Cromagnum
AG
I couldnt find Scotchland anywhere, but am firing up a region on Antarctica server. Region is called Alcoholic Aggies
wee_ag
AG
They limited the search by user function to ease server load. When it's working you can filter by user to find a region you want.
ccaggie05
AG
So is this game working finally? I've been working all weekend and haven't tried since Thursday.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.