Dallas Cowboy Season thread

185,103 Views | 2915 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tksymm7
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Macarthur said:

Aggies1322 said:

PatAg said:

$240 Worth of Pudding said:

While true, he's also got a chronic case of the yips. He throws the ball too high A LOT. At some point it stops being the yips and starts being who he is.
Except for the vast majority of the time where he doesnt do that.

They guy didn't play in like 5 games and led the NFL in interceptions. That's bad. That's very very bad. He isn't good and we will likely never win anything with him as our QB. I hope I'm wrong, but doubt I am.

See, it's really difficult to have a reasonable conversation when you use hyperbole over and over again.
Thats the world people like him operate in.
Baby Billy
AG
We are not getting rid of Dak anytime soon. Zero chance. But he clearly does not have "it". The only way Dak gets you to a super bowl is on the backs of an elite defense and running game. It looked like we had that this year but again, clearly not the case.
Tksymm7
AG
Bizarro Jerry said:

We are not getting rid of Dak anytime soon. Zero chance. But he clearly does not have "it". The only way Dak gets you to a super bowl is on the backs of an elite defense and running game. It looked like we had that this year but again, clearly not the case.

You're right, we aren't getting rid of Dak till the end of his contract, but that shouldn't stop us from trying to upgrade the position through the draft or similar means. Take a chance on high draft pick, then use your cap space and other picks to fill holes. This team was an elite QB away from winning this division and having real confidence going into the playoffs.
gigem1223
Tksymm7 said:

Bizarro Jerry said:

This team was an elite QB away.

You could say this about 27 or so teams in the NFL. You would have to be extremely lucky to find and elite QB in the back half of the first round. 99% chance it's a wasted pick with that strategy.

Tksymm7
AG
I'm not arguing that it's difficult to find an elite QB, it's the most difficult thing to find, but Dak has been average to blow average for large stretches the last two years and has never even gotten us to the conference championship. He's also regressed, especially this year. We're also missing one of the most important facts, he's paid like a top 8 QB when he hasn't been anywhere close to that. So why not begin to take chances on finding the next guy who is bigger, stronger and faster and on a rookie contract. It could keep us from being garbage when Dak does get let go or cut.

I will concede that money is a huge part of this, because if Dak was getting paid 30 per year I could stomach his performances more. But he's being paid to be elite and is not even in the same galaxy as that. And if you need to surround him with elite players to be solid, then don't pay him 40+ per year.
gigem1223
Yea that's now how QB salaries work at all. It's all market driven, not as much performance.

Dak is plenty good to win a Super Bowl. There's way too much recency bias in this thread currently.
Tksymm7
AG
Not how the QB market works? Then don't succumb to the market! Let him walk and be someone else's problem for 40+ per year. Over paying a QB is a massive burden on the organization and it leads to letting players go who shouldn't be. Look at Amari Cooper, Collins, Gregory etc. We lucked out to replace those guys for the most part, but that doesn't always work out.
gigem1223
You're saying you would've walked from Dak when it was time to pay him? You're either being incredibly disingenuous or insane.
Macarthur
Paying a QB doesn't stunt the growth of a franchise. That's a myth.
Macarthur
Tksymm7 said:

I'm not arguing that it's difficult to find an elite QB, it's the most difficult thing to find, but Dak has been average to blow average for large stretches the last two years and has never even gotten us to the conference championship. He's also regressed, especially this year. We're also missing one of the most important facts, he's paid like a top 8 QB when he hasn't been anywhere close to that. So why not begin to take chances on finding the next guy who is bigger, stronger and faster and on a rookie contract. It could keep us from being garbage when Dak does get let go or cut.

I will concede that money is a huge part of this, because if Dak was getting paid 30 per year I could stomach his performances more. But he's being paid to be elite and is not even in the same galaxy as that. And if you need to surround him with elite players to be solid, then don't pay him 40+ per year.

Dude, this is just objectively false.
DannyDuberstein
AG
You can win a title with Dak. He is highly unlikely to carry you to one, but he's no Dilfer either. He's at least as good as a number of qb's who have won one the past 15-20 years.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
I just want to see Dak get hot in late December/January for once. He's a really good regular season QB but goes stale late in the season.
Macarthur
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

I just want to see Dak get hot in late December/January for once. He's a really good regular season QB but goes stale late in the season.

I honestly don't want to sound like a Dak homer, but I also think there are some things going on around him that really handicap the team.

Again, when N Brown is your 4th or 5th option, that's great, but when he's your 2 or 3, you have problems. And Gallup is not back either.

TequilaMockingbird
The fact is, receivers are dropping catchable balls.
Tksymm7
AG
I will agree with you here. The WRs seem like they have gotten worse throughout the year outside of Ceedee, and that Gallup deal/contract feels like it's teetering on the edge.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
I definitely see what you are talking about.
DannyDuberstein
AG
His WR corps this year has been an issue, but he had a formidable trio of Cooper-Lamb-Gallup for several years and pretty much accomplished jack with them when it comes to what matters
dave94
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

His WR corps this year has been an issue, but he had a formidable trio of Cooper-Lamb-Gallup for several years and pretty much accomplished jack with them when it comes to what matters

You do remember the stat this year about how few games he actually had with CeeDee, right?

He's had two legitimate top line receivers on the field together not as much as you would think.
gigem1223
So if I'm reading about half the board right, Dak isn't good, the WRs aren't good, McCarthy and Moore need to be replaced. How has the Dallas offense ranked at or near the top in just about every offensive category and won 24 games the last 2 seasons?
ac04
dak is very good, in the conversation for top 10 QBs if you were a GM starting a team today. the recent inconsistency and turnovers are concerning. huge game for him this week, maybe the biggest of his career.

lamb is breaking out as a #1 and is going to be a star for a very long time, the rest of the WRs are clearly below average. schultz TBD but i suspect dak is carrying him and he would be just another guy with an average or bad QB. running game has absolutely disappeared.

the entire coaching staff has a lot to prove on monday. the way they're entering the postseason is very concerning. this team hasn't played very well 4 of the last 5 games. now they're going on the road to play the goat on a team that physically handled them in week 1.

not sure i'd pick the bucs, but i do think the spread is a bit curious. will be relieved and love it if they win but i won't be surprised at all if this is a repeat of LY vs 49ers
double aught
AG
This basically comes down to people being tired of all his INTs which is completely understandable.
All I do is Nguyen
Here is what my gut is telling me about this week's game and these playoffs:

IF the Cowboys can beat Tom Brady and the Bucs, they will make a run to at least the NFC title game, if not the super bowl. My reasoning is that if we can beat the bucs on the road and finally beat Tom Brady, it will give such a boost of confidence to the team they will ride it through the rest of the playoffs.

ChoppinDs40
AG
No one is beating SF, IMO.
Macarthur
I think this is possible if we draw Minn in the divisional round. Obviously, Dallas stacks up much better w them.

That's prob pretty unlikely though.
Goldie Wilson
Macarthur said:

I think this is possible if we draw Minn in the divisional round. Obviously, Dallas stacks up much better w them.

Dallas @ Minn would mean that Seattle upsets SF I think?
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think SF is unbeatable. They are starting a rookie at QB after all, but they are the most complete team in the NFC with out a doubt.
Macarthur
Goldie Wilson said:

Macarthur said:

Dallas @ Minn would mean that Seattle upsets SF I think?
Yeah, pretty unlikely, but you never know. Purdy has been great but he's also a rookie. A rookie can have a step back at any time. I don't think he's had a "bad game" yet so who knows. Seattle does know them well so anything can happen against a division opponent.
All I do is Nguyen
ChoppinDs40 said:

No one is beating SF, IMO.
I think if anyone can it's Seattle just because it's a division game and those are always wonky. Remember when we swept the Giants in the 2007 regular season then lost in the divisional round? Yeah, funny things happen with divisional games
Agristotle
AG
Sean Payton is the only guy that could either improve Dak or convince Jerry to move on from him. After Jerry "finding" Dak in the draft and then going through some of Daks personal stuff together, I just can't see Jerry moving on.
Tksymm7
AG
And I think their is next to no chance we get Payton^. Giving up draft picks, especially high ones, for a coach just seems extreme these days. That being said, I also think there is no chance the Saints get a 1st for him.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Sean Payton is just Mike McCarthy Redux
gigem1223
Agristotle said:

Sean Payton is the only guy that could either improve Dak or convince Jerry to move on from him. After Jerry "finding" Dak in the draft and then going through some of Daks personal stuff together, I just can't see Jerry moving on.

They're the same coach. One, for some reason, just gets much more unwarranted criticism and the other is treated like a God for winning 1 Super Bowl with one of the best QBs of our generation.
Agristotle
AG
I don't disagree, but Jerry has drooled over him for years, so much so that my hope is he would actually let the coach run the team.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the drool should be dry and crusty. Payton won his SB forever ago, then spent over decade not really faring meaningfully better than Dallas in the postseason in spite of having a franchise QB the entire time
Tksymm7
AG
The Panthers have now requested an interview with Kellen Moore for their head coach position. That means both coordinators are now on the radar to move on.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.