Dallas Cowboy Season thread

185,129 Views | 2915 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Tksymm7
jr15aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One thing I know for sure... we have a much better chance at beating SF having played a great game Monday as opposed to playing a really good team if we had gotten the bye week.

We really needed that playoff beat down in the worse way... this team now believes we can beat anyone.
aggiephoenix02
Yeah!!
Kellso
ChoppinDs40 said:

I wouldn't say Eli got hot... they scored 17 and 21 points to win those 2 superbowls... Dak just had 5 TDs in 1 game.

Dak needs to be good to really good but most of all... we've got to MAKE OUR KICKS, not turn the ball over, and Defense show up.

If we can play an above average game in all phases, we can beat anyone. Play poorly in one phase and we're likely toast.
I get soo sick and tired of hearing people give the Eli Manning the credit for those two Super Bowls and not the Giants defense that held Tom Brady to 14 and 17 points.

Nick Foles led his team to more points in one Super Bowl victory over Tom Brady then Eli did in two games.
Zachary Klement
AG

The Dak hate has gotten out of control. This is absurd.
jr15aggie
AG
Dear Lord! I guess when you have 24/7 sport networks you gotta just start making S*** up at some point!
ZofranAggie
AG
Infection_Ag11 said:

Kellso said:

The 49ers are a very good team, but I'm tired of the media acting like San Francisco should be this huge favorite.

I'll say this though......who have the 49ers beaten this season?
Most of their wins are against average to bad teams. Their best wins are against pretty good teams.

The last time they faced an elite team they got smoked.
The Cowboys have beaten 3 of the 8 teams still left in the playoffs.

One of the issues with the Cowboys playoff futility of the 2000's and the Romo era was that this franchise never pulled upsets in the playoffs. On the flipside there are plenty of post season losses where they were the favorite.

I would argue the 1992 NFC Championship game against San Francisco was the last time the Cowboy franchise had an overachieving post season performance and won a game they were not supposed to.

This 49ers team is beatable. If they can pull the upset on Sunday they can beat anyone else in the NFL.

The 49ers are playing with fire because all it takes for them to lose is one half of football of Brock Purdy playing like what he is, a seventh round rookie.

It doesn't matter how well they run the ball or stop the run, if Dak plays anywhere close to the way he did on Monday and Purdy finally has a rookie performance they will almost certainly lose. The team that throws the ball more efficiently wins playoff games almost 85% of the time.
This has been my exact thought. Our best hope is that Purdy plays like a rookie and Dak plays well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
How good is the SF o-line? I assume they are pretty competent at the very least. Reason why I ask is because I'd like to see Purdy throw the ball with the kind of pressure we got on Brady. That pocket was breaking down on a regular basis Monday night.

Dak must play lights out, that's a given, but our D-line looked fresh and hungry the other day... they are going to have to ball out again for us. Consistent pressure with the front 4 to disrupt their passing game and not a ton of blitzes which would expose us to their screens.
Macarthur
I feel like the 49ers are good like we all think but they have also played some kinda meh football, at times this year. You also wonder how long a rookie QB can continue to live a charmed life until some reality starts to settle in.
ZofranAggie
AG
According to here: https://www.footballdb.com/stats/teamstat.html?lg=NFL&yr=2022&type=reg&cat=P&group=O&conf=&sort=passsack

The 49ers allow the 6th fewest amount of sacks in the league. They also have the 10th highest rushing yards average/attempt in the league. They are a very good unit.

Germane to this conversation is one of my favorite photos of all time:
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jr15aggie
AG
Macarthur said:

I feel like the 49ers are good like we all think but they have also played some kinda meh football, at times this year. You also wonder how long a rookie QB can continue to live a charmed life until some reality starts to settle in.

Yeah, they are hard to get a read on. Their QB situation screams of 'beatable team'. We've all seen teams rally around back-up QBs before (including our own this year), but it's amazing how long they've ridden that wave. It's also not that different from Daks rookie year... A rookie QB can have immediate/sustainable success when the team around him is really good.

But it's also important to remember that Purdy isn't the issue here... SF became a different team after getting Run CMC. That was their turning point.

I've said it before and I'll probably say it a few more time... I'd rather be playing Philly this weekend. But I know SF would also rather be playing the Vikings!
Ag Natural
AG
Niners are loaded for sure. This will be a huge test for Quinn and the defense. Last year it was their run game that really control the game. I think the Cowboys are much better up front this season so we'll see. The last 7 or 8 games have looked so easy for the Niners offense. They have guys running wide open and a rookie QB with hardly any pressure due to that run game threat. Get pressure on him and lets see what happens.

Offensively, a couple of teams have been able to light them up. Most recently the Stidham-led Raiders. Last year they stifled the run game and got quick pressure up the middle all game long. The Cowboys are better in the middle this year too. They handled the vaunted Eagles dline a few weeks ago and that gave me hope.

I do think I'd rather be playing the Niners on a 2 day rest disadvantage over the Eagles on a 2 week rest disadvantage. Either way we'll need to beat both squads to get where we want to go.
Zachary Klement
AG
The 49ers are riding an 11-game winning streak, and while it is the NFL and there aren't as BIG talent gaps as there are in some college schedules, they really have managed to win against a bunch of meh teams.

LA Rams...terrible
LA Chargers without Keenan Allen and Mike Williams
Arizona...Colt McCoy at QB
New Orleans...not good
Miami - likely their best win over this stretch of games?
Tampa Bay...not very good
Seattle...not very good
Washington...not very good
Las Vegas...Jarrett Stidham took them to OT
Arizona...David Blough was their QB
Seattle...again, not that great

SF has played five teams that made the playoffs - Seattle (7 seed), KC (1 seed), LAC (5 seed), Miami (7 seed), TB (4 seed)

For comparison, Dallas has played - TB (4 seed), NY (6 seed), Philly (1 seed), MIN (3 seed), JAX (4 seed)
PatAg
AG
Zachary Klement said:

There is no world where Purdy is better than Dak at anything
DTP02
AG
Zachary Klement said:

The only thing Purdy has on post-injury Dak might be mobility, and that's one of the only two they gave Dak.

LeagueCityAg
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Good, keep that chip on Dak's shoulder. He looked extra motivated Monday after all the hate.
jr15aggie
AG
Heard a very interesting comment/perspective on Dallas's offense during a SF/Cowboys conversation.

On paper the Cowboys are not one of the best offenses in the NFL, but ever since Dak came back they are. Their o-line is good but not elite. Their "starting" RB isn't as good as his backup, and the WRs after CD Lamb are below average.

But sure, let's keep the national narrative going about how Dak isn't a top 10 QB and how Purdy is already a better QB.
ramblin_ag02
AG
To be fair, the offense under Dak has been very high-risk, high-reward. Sometimes you get games like the Vikings or the Bucs. Sometimes you get games like the Washington game in week 18
Southlake
I know everyone is very excited about beating a decimated wonky team in the first round, even with a failing Tom Brady, but I'm not seeing this happening Sunday. I thought the Cowboys would beat TB 31-17, but I don't see Dallas traveling to SF with one less day to prepare and winning. Great season but:

SF 28
Dallas 20
ChoppinDs40
AG
I've been flying my Cowboys flag out front since Monday... and my 1996 NFC Championship shirt that I wore on Monday has not been washed. Here's to superstition.
jtstanley4621
AG
I think the only way we win is if Purdy has a bad game. I felt like he could have thrown about 3 picks against Seattle, but they didn't come down with those throws.

I'm hoping that wasn't his bad game. Because you know Shanahan will do everything to put him in a position to have easy reads and success
ChoppinDs40
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

I think the only way we win is if Purdy has a bad game. I felt like he could have thrown about 3 picks against Seattle, but they didn't come down with those throws.

I'm hoping that wasn't his bad game. Because you know Shanahan will do everything to put him in a position to have easy reads and success

True. Will be a great test for Quinn. Our D has murderbanged sub-par QBs the last 2 years (outside of Sam Howell).

Main issue has and will likely be our run D. Gotta make the QB beat you. Don't think Purdy can.
jtstanley4621
AG
Yeah the only way Purdy is remotely in position to have a bad day is if the run defense steps up big time
Ag Natural
AG
This is a Quinn vs Shanahan matchup all the way. To make matters even more intriguing is Shanahan was Quinn's OC in Atlanta when they made the Super Bowl and lost it in historic fashion.

Quinn will definitely dial up some things to confuse Purdy. Can Shanahan anticipate those things and counter with clever scheming? Oh the drama...
PatAg
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

True. Will be a great test for Quinn. Our D has murderbanged sub-par QBs the last 2 years (outside of Sam Howell).

Main issue has and will likely be our run D. Gotta make the QB beat you. Don't think Purdy can.
And even if they are having success running, from what I understand, San Francisco's passing game relies on teams trying to sell out to stop the run.,
I say we let them run and stick to our guns
ramblin_ag02
AG
Southlake said:

I know everyone is very excited about beating a decimated wonky team in the first round, even with a failing Tom Brady, but I'm not seeing this happening Sunday. I thought the Cowboys would beat TB 31-17, but I don't see Dallas traveling to SF with one less day to prepare and winning. Great season but:

SF 28
Dallas 20
We played better on the road against Tampa then SF looked at home against the Seahawks. SF is a really good team. But every team has flaws, and luck always shows up in playoff games. We're good enough to beat anybody, so I'll ride the wave until it crashes
Goldie Wilson
PatAg said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

And even if they are having success running, from what I understand, San Francisco's passing game relies on teams trying to sell out to stop the run.,
I disagree. I think you have to stop the run and cover the east underneath stuff and force Purdy to make some deep plays. Certainly easier said than done
PatAg
AG
Goldie Wilson said:

PatAg said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

jtstanley4621 said:

I disagree. I think you have to stop the run and cover the east underneath stuff and force Purdy to make some deep plays. Certainly easier said than done
I think we have made it our gameplan to force teams to stick to their guns on the run, and force turnovers in the passing game when they get impatient.
jr15aggie
AG
Quote:

Agreed... and it's an interesting thought with our defense because we have 3 safeties on the field a lot (one of which has been an absolute head hunter most of the season).

We have the players and the scheme to line up in base and stop the run or pass... the real question is when their O-line starts pushing against us, can we hold the line well enough to consistently force them into passing situations.
ChoppinDs40
AG
jr15aggie said:

Quote:

Agreed... and it's an interesting thought with our defense because we have 3 safeties on the field a lot (one of which has been an absolute head hunter most of the season).

We have the players and the scheme to line up in base and stop the run or pass... the real question is when their O-line starts pushing against us, can we hold the line well enough to consistently force them into passing situations.
the Ticket was just talking about this... do you want a game where Purdy is throwing it 35 times to Aiyuk, Deebo, Kittle and McCaffrey?.... or do you want a game where he throws it 15 times, we play coverage and force them to move the ball methodically down the field?

Now, if they're getting 5YPC we're likely screwed either way so...

Interesting though is the other side of the matchup... I just don't know which Offense is going to show up Sunday... 30+ point offense? I think we win... 17 point offense? we get blown the eff out.
beagle2009
AG
Your last point is what I don't think people are talking enough about. Seems the conversation has mostly been around this game being be dictated by Purdy's performance. What about Dak? If we get the #4 that showed up on Monday night I don't see how the Cowboys lose (barring 5 missed PATs or just an absolute turd of a defensive performance, which both seem highly unlikely).
jtstanley4621
AG
Another question mark in my mind is the cowboys offensive line. It sounds like Peters may be out for the game which bodes poorly versus the 49ers d-line. Peters is past his prime without a doubt but that means a new line combo for this game
Tksymm7
AG
Smith-McGovern-Biadsz-Martin-Smith is our best 5 and they have played plenty in that order.
All I do is Nguyen
If we have to sub Ball in at tackle we are royally screwed. That means either bosa will feast or we have to put a TE over there to help block which takes away a receiving option
Tksymm7
AG
Don't even put those things into the ether.
gigem1223
Heard this on the radio today. Teams entering the divisional game on an 11 game winning streak are 0-5 all time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.