*****COWBOYS 2017 Offseason Thread*****

214,243 Views | 3078 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by jtstanley4621
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dez isn't a yardage receiver though. He's a possession receiver. He's been an elite red zone target since he entered the league. I'm not saying he's performed above expectations, but I don't think he's played below them as well. Using the "salary should = stat line of production" can lend itself to misleading conclusions about a player's true impact. Overall I think Dez's impact has been worth (or close to) his salary. This will be a big year for him and Dak and luckily the Cowboys don't have to make a decision at this time. We'll see how he does.
ChoppinDs40
AG
i think you use a pick or two next year on a WR and TE.

Maybe not. Kid from tOSU could be awesome and Swaim or another TE may pan out.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree that it doesn't translate perfectly, which is why I'm not saying he needs to be leading the league in all of these statistical categories in order to justify being the highest paid WR in the league. But however you want to evaluate impact, I'd argue he's been far from #1 in the league the last 2 years which is what he's being paid now. Back to the original point, I'm saying he's one to keep an eye on because of his style, age, and recent injury history - if one ends up looking to clear salary room to extend these younger players as they get into 2018 and forward.
M.C. Swag
AG
Agree. Depending how the DL/LB corp looks, TE/WR should be a priority next draft. If Jaylon Smith continues to progress and looks like a starting NFL player then I think the 'need' becomes clear.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree that WR and TE are two spots to closely evaluate this year and consider spending something fairly high in the next draft.
M.C. Swag
AG
I get that but it's still a weak criticism. Have you seen the other WR salaries? They're all high. Guys like Tavon Austin, Pierre Garcon, and Allen Hurns all make an avg. salary of $10m+. Dez is certainly better than those guys, no? So how much of a salary cut would it take for you to feel better about his production? There's only a $4m gap in avg salary between Dez and Garcon. See what I'm saying? It's just the cost of doing business.
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's not a weak criticism if you need cap room to sign your developing players in the upcoming years. You evaluate guys relative to their peers and weigh the production vs. salary, and I can see that one being a place to go get cap space if you need it in the 2019-ish timeframe.
M.C. Swag
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

It's not a weak criticism if you need cap room to sign your developing players in the upcoming years. You evaluate guys relative to their peers and seek productive value, and I can see that one being a place to go get cap space if you need it in the 2019-ish timeframe.
Well yea, that's 2 different things. I've already agreed that it's probably time to go in a different direction after his current contract is up...but what I'm not saying is that his current one is a bad deal.
DannyDuberstein
AG
One of the reasons they won 4 games in 2015 was because he couldn't get on the field. Romo having the same issue was the biggest reason, but Dez was near the top of the rest of the list. This whole tangent came out of one comment I made that the first two years were a disappointment. 2015 was a big reason why, as it was basically a lost year. Not saying he wasn't impactful and important last year, but on the whole, I didn't consider it great value and making up for the whiff of 2015.
M.C. Swag
AG
So? What are you saying? The Cowboys front office should have been omniscient? Its not fair or useful to argue from the lens of hindsight. Going forward (and I mean in terms of his CURRENT deal), there's no reason to think Dez can't be an dominant Red Zone monster with adequate yardage and reception production. 900 yds, 85 catches, 12 TDs, would be easily attainable for him, but I also think he could do much better in each of those areas.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I thought I've been pretty clear, since I've posted this several times:

1) With his style, injuries past 2 years, and getting into the age 30 ballpark, his ability to remain productive relative to his deal is a going to be a growing concern over these next few years
2) It's a place to consider looking for money after the next year or two (or three)

That's what I was saying. I made a comment that the first two seasons were a disappointment and it's like I insulted the Pope. A 2 year combined 1200 yards and 11 TD's is disappointing for one of the highest paid guys in the league. It's not a personal insult. It's not saying they did the wrong thing by extending him.
M.C. Swag
AG
Got it man. We'll see if he steps it up the next 2 years.
investorAg83
AG
Didn't take long...Jets claim Lucky off waivers. Good for him.
jr15aggie
AG
investorAg83 said:

Didn't take long...Jets claim Lucky off waivers. Good for him.
So the Jets now have Mo and Lucky... I guess they like going 5-11.
PooDoo
AG
Maybe he should've held out a little longer...
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/07/26/ouch-cowboys-de-david-irving-says-lost-nipple-ring-training-camp-practice
PooDoo
AG
Also, Taco and Skipper got into it during practice... guessing Skipper's going after knees again.
Mike Elko
AG
PooDoo said:

Also, Taco and Skipper got into it during practice... guessing Skipper's going after knees again.
Came here to post the same. He supposedly stepped on Taco. Oh, Skipper, you POS.
jr15aggie
AG
Couldn't figure out what you guys were talking about... then I looked him up and saw he was from Arkansas... then it all started coming back to me!

In other news, Jaylon Smith practiced with pads and his leg didn't fall off or anything, so that's good!
M.C. Swag
AG
Expanding on the Taco topic...apparently he's not looking too good. He's getting dominated by anyone he goes against and appears lost in finding the ball during passing drills. A couple actual quotes:
  • "Either Dan Skipper is a future Hall of Famer or Taco is not very good."
  • "It was about as bad a day as you could have without sustaining an injury."

More than a few analysts have raised concerns that Taco won't even be carried on the active roster.

Obviously it's still early but definitely not encouraging reports from a 1st round guy whose performance thus far has looked more in line with a 6th round pick.
jtstanley4621
AG
I hope Taco finds his stride, but I really was not a big fan of the selection, but talent was somewhat limited where we were picking at that point. It will be interesting to follow his career alongside T.J. Watt's to see who ends up being the better player.
M.C. Swag
AG
Yea I hated the pick as soon as they made it. I wished they traded down or took a flyer on Reuben Foster.
Mike Elko
AG
Buy, hey, at least he got some endorsements from his nickname.
Aggie_95
AG
BassCowboy33
Hoping Swaim continues to improve this. Very impressive in his limited time last year before getting hurt.
jtstanley4621
AG
The thing that sucks is I would have liked the Taco pick a lot more if Gregory were still in line to play basically ever again. Taco is more of a run stopping DE, and Gregory is more of a pass rushing DE. I don't have that much confidence in Taco getting to the QB. I hope I am very wrong.
M.C. Swag
AG
If Gregory were in a position to ever play again, I highly doubt Taco would have been our first pick.
Grapesoda2525
Swaim definitely seems to be a very good blocker. Can't believe I'm talking positively about a Sip in the NFL who played for Chollie.
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, I think we all sorta got the feeling after the draft and after mini camps that this draft class will be defined by our DBs & Switzer. It just felt like Taco would be a D-line rotation guy this year and nothing more. And even then it sounds like he's 100% a Left End, will never be a rush DE on the right side.
PooDoo
AG
They said Switz just pulled a hammy & Jerry's trying to trade a 4th for Lucky Whitehead.

Reports Jordan Lewis looks like the best player in the class.
M.C. Swag
AG
Quote:

Jerry's trying to trade a 4th for Lucky Whitehead.
....thats a joke right?
DannyDuberstein
AG
It's a joke. In reality, I heard they didn't offer anything higher than a 6th.
jr15aggie
AG
So Odell wants to be the highest paid player in the NFL... And Le'Veon Bell wants to be paid like the best RB and WR combined.

Lol, no thanks!

And speaking of contracts... I'm hearing the La'el Collins extension had a lot to do with the promise Jerry made him 2 years ago when he was robbed of being a first round pick. La'el has very much impressed at RT apparently, but it also speaks to why so many players love Jerry Jones like family.
BassCowboy33
Are there still people out there complaining about Dan Skipper's perfectly legal and commonplace cut block on Myles Garrett?
Reginald Cousins
S
BassCowboy33 said:

Are there still people out there complaining about Dan Skipper's perfectly legal and commonplace cut block on Myles Garrett?
People are complaining about Skipper's inherent dirtiness, which you still haven't wrapped your head around. Now he's stomping on his own teammates. He's trash.

He was dirty then, he's dirty now. Yes the block was legal. No it was not typical form. Yes it was intended to cause injury rather than just accomplish its task. And as per our last argument on this, I'm going off what an ex-NFL lineman tells me and my eyes. I trust both more than you and your minority opinion.

So once again, give it a rest.

I'd swear Skipper was your cousin.
investorAg83
AG
Skipper's block on MG was cheap and dirty. I'll forever dislike skipper.

But what happened with Taco wasn't...taco just got pissed because he was getting owned ALL DAY and at the end, an undrafted rookie getting the best of him was too much and he blew up. Video of the incident made that pretty clear.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.